Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

USDA Choice posted:

Also since several people have discussed building computers here, the best advice may no longer be "go to Guanghua." Newegg Taiwan is releasing in September or October. :toot:

:woop:

i'm hoping it's better then the .cn version (it should be, the cn version is p weak)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Bit of a random question. Anyone know of a website (preferably in Chinese I guess) explaining why nuclear power is not going to kill everyone in Taiwan. I know it won't change anything giving how much of "group think" country this is, but all these protests are bumming me out.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My understanding of the protests is that it's not the nuclear aspect that has people on edge, at least not directly. There are three other plants that people don't have an issue with. This particular plant has a somewhat unique history. First, it was started by the KMT a decade ago before they were ousted temporarily from the presidency. At that time, the green party canceled the project and abandoned the project. The KMT got back into power and restarted the construction project. However, the previous three plants were all built by a single American company. For this plant, several companies were allowed to bid for construction contracts on various parts of the plant. Additionally, to get the plant up and running sooner, the KMT has supposedly lowered its standards that need to be met before it can be opened.

So, the protests are focused on this thing being built by several companies all who are working for as cheap as possible and the government's own standards being weakened to actually let the thing start operating, people are slightly concerned.

Now, this was explained to me by a friend and they could be completely wrong. So, if this isn't the situation, please enlighten me.

skysedge
May 26, 2006

Haraksha posted:

My understanding of the protests is that it's not the nuclear aspect that has people on edge, at least not directly. There are three other plants that people don't have an issue with. This particular plant has a somewhat unique history. First, it was started by the KMT a decade ago before they were ousted temporarily from the presidency. At that time, the green party canceled the project and abandoned the project. The KMT got back into power and restarted the construction project. However, the previous three plants were all built by a single American company. For this plant, several companies were allowed to bid for construction contracts on various parts of the plant. Additionally, to get the plant up and running sooner, the KMT has supposedly lowered its standards that need to be met before it can be opened.

So, the protests are focused on this thing being built by several companies all who are working for as cheap as possible and the government's own standards being weakened to actually let the thing start operating, people are slightly concerned.

Now, this was explained to me by a friend and they could be completely wrong. So, if this isn't the situation, please enlighten me.

That's more or less the case, although to be more precise, the DPP killed the Nuke 4 project in something like 2002, which caused a major falling out with the KMT-dominated legislature, which eventually forced construction to continue. My understanding of it is that the project was a big cash cow for KMT-associated construction firms.

Anyhow, TaiPower (the state run electric utility running the project) doesn't exactly have the best image when it comes to nuclear related issues. Taiwan's nuclear waste is currently being dumped on Orchid Island. From what I understand, the government initially told the residents of Orchid Island that they were building a cannery, but ended up shipping nuclear waste there instead. Sometime last year, residents of an aboriginal village in Yilan caught TaiPower workers taking rock samples near their village without prior notification, ostensibly for a new waste site.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
The BBC did a few fairly light touch pieces on the waste thing a while back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-15182502 is a text one, but there's vids on there too.
(using osk atm - report away)

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Forgot to check the thread so a bit late, but...

Atlas Hugged posted:

The problem is most of the people I've talked to haven't mentioned this. I think for the average Taiwanese person their opinions are mostly formed from what they saw on Taiwanese "news" about what happened in Japan, and we all know how reliable that information is.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

HappyHelmet posted:

Forgot to check the thread so a bit late, but...

The problem is most of the people I've talked to haven't mentioned this. I think for the average Taiwanese person their opinions are mostly formed from what they saw on Taiwanese "news" about what happened in Japan, and we all know how reliable that information is.

This is pretty much my take on it; it feels like it's coming from the Fukushima disaster with a "not in my backyard" kind of sentiment, bolstered by the fact that it's a very in-vogue thing right now too. :jerkbag:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

duckfarts posted:

This is pretty much my take on it; it feels like it's coming from the Fukushima disaster with a "not in my backyard" kind of sentiment, bolstered by the fact that it's a very in-vogue thing right now too. :jerkbag:

My Facebook's been covered with this stuff. I asked when/where the "More nukes" march was. One Taiwanese person suggested North Korea.

I think some people are even confusing nuclear power with nuclear weapons or something.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I don't think it's that most don't know, it's that most have had that overshadowed by the much more obvious Fukushima thing and so they've basically forgotten about it. And honestly, although I know nuclear power is pretty safe these days, it is also the kind of thing that only has to fail once to really gently caress things up, and no-one trusts the government to not completely screw things up.

Actually, I think a good portion of the protesting is because people feel like this is about the only thing they might get their voices heard by the government on, and given how people feel about the current administration, I'm not surprised this thing has caught on like it has.

And on the power issue, does anyone know why there aren't more geothermal plants in Taiwan? There definitely seems to be enough activity for them to be worthwhile.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 13, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Another weird thing I've heard is that if it does "go bad once" all of Taiwan would be flooded. What the hell is that about?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Another weird thing I've heard is that if it does "go bad once" all of Taiwan would be flooded. What the hell is that about?
That almost sounds like whoever said that thinks the tsunami was caused by the power plant meltdown.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Not to break up nuke chat, but if anybody lurking in this thread is looking for a job opportunity here in Taiwan, my branch is so desperate for a new NST that HESS is willing to hire someone from abroad at any time and send them to us. All training will be done 1 on 1, here at the branch.

Please, somebody come and save me from the 30 hours I'm scheduled to teach every week for the rest of the month.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

So it's been like 2 weeks with paid apps available in Taiwan, and I can assure you no one is buying anything! Hooray!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I bought Final Fantasy Dimensions on sale.

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

Question for Taipei people:

I'll be there on business at the start of next week. I'm trying to register for a login for the Taipei free wifi thing, since my Verizon phone won't get data there, but I never get the verification SMS they're supposed to send to me. Anyone have experience registering a US number? I even tried a coworker's and nothing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Finally switched from a motorcycle to a scooter. Yes I think I'm turning Taiwanese yes I really think so.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Fish Ladder Theory posted:

I'll be there on business at the start of next week. I'm trying to register for a login for the Taipei free wifi thing, since my Verizon phone won't get data there, but I never get the verification SMS they're supposed to send to me. Anyone have experience registering a US number? I even tried a coworker's and nothing.

Just tried it on my Google Voice number, nothing.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Finally switched from a motorcycle to a scooter. Yes I think I'm turning Taiwanese yes I really think so.

I find myself using my motorcycle less and less, but as my friend here said it's just too hard to sell your motorcycle. One day you'll wake up and want to go for a ride, and it won't be there. That's why I'll continue to have both for now. Even though my motorcycle can't carry anything, is slower than my scooter, hard to ride in traffic, big, heavy, not very maneuverable and stops like a truck I just can't give it up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Mine was dinky and I never went for rides. If I had had a real cruiser type, then I probably would have held onto it. As it was, I got 8000NT from the shop on trade in.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I was about to ask how much you wanted for the bike.

I'm hoping to trade my (3 month old) scooter for a 250 at the end of it's warranty (1 year from new).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well, if you want a 250, you'd be awfully disappointed with what I had. Just a basic KTR. My new scooter probably accelerates faster.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I've seen a few of the Kymco Quananon's but I don't know the specs or how high they go.
(haven't looked into it yet)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Either way, I'm super happy with my GP125. It's easily the smoothest ride I've ever had. I almost committed to the G6, but I just don't think I'm going to go on trips long enough to justify the power and comfort.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

url posted:

I've seen a few of the Kymco Quananon's but I don't know the specs or how high they go.
(haven't looked into it yet)

You'll want to pass on those bikes. They have the same 150cc engine as my KTR150 "custom" bike. If your looking for something with a bit more than 150cc try looking into the Hartfords.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Mine was dinky and I never went for rides. If I had had a real cruiser type, then I probably would have held onto it. As it was, I got 8000NT from the shop on trade in.

Mine is probably the same bike you had. Mine accelerates no problem, but tops out at like 90kph. Which I never drive at because anything over 80 and it starts feeling really unstable, and needs a football field to come to a stop.

Honestly, I'm leery of owning a big bike in Taiwan though. There are not many places to really open them up, and the majority of the time your just gonna be hot and sweaty while stuck in the car lanes because your not allowed to go into the scooter lanes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

HappyHelmet posted:

Mine is probably the same bike you had. Mine accelerates no problem, but tops out at like 90kph. Which I never drive at because anything over 80 and it starts feeling really unstable, and needs a football field to come to a stop.

Honestly, I'm leery of owning a big bike in Taiwan though. There are not many places to really open them up, and the majority of the time your just gonna be hot and sweaty while stuck in the car lanes because your not allowed to go into the scooter lanes.

Mine was the "WW2" green one with the little white star on the body. It actually had no issue stopping, but I rarely took it over 50kmh. There was a motorcycle club in my city for people who liked going up into the mountains and screwing around on their bikes, not sure if that's still around. I do see a pack of Harley style bikes at least once a week out here.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Sup Taiwan thread hope you guys are keeping it real. I'm asking for a friend. What's the main Taiwan ESL teacher forum?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well, tealit.com was the go to site for a long time, but apparently they got really draconian with their policies. Tawainease.com is the new one that people seem to be switching to.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Cool thanks.

Remember if anyone comes to Korea hit us up in the Korea thread we are super cool and handsome and will show you an awesome time.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

HappyHelmet posted:

You'll want to pass on those bikes. They have the same 150cc engine as my KTR150 "custom" bike. If your looking for something with a bit more than 150cc try looking into the Hartfords.

I had a quick nose around after I posted y/day.

The Quanannon(I don't know how to pluralise that) only go to 150 and I already have a 150 kymco scooter (the brakes are very good); as such, I'm kinda loathe to consider swapping a 150 for a 150. While I do like my scooter alot, I want to get off the linear acceleration and get onto a proper acceleration curve. I could do that on the Quanannon, but, I'd rather cut my teeth on 250+

I saw that SYM do a 250 T2, which looks pretty respectable and I'd definitely consider it.

More interestingly a colleague reminded me of CPI. I have seen a on the roads, and it ticks most of the boxes I want (almost dirt bike shocks for the atrocious roads), but they also do a 650.

I intend to give some serious consideration to both toward the end of this year.

e: I forget who it was that was leaving a ducati monster in the US, but drat, that seems a shame.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well, tealit.com was the go to site for a long time, but apparently they got really draconian with their policies. Tawainease.com is the new one that people seem to be switching to.

Tealit has moderation? Last I looked at it, all their non-classifieds content was about 3 years out of date. Including typhoon warnings.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

Tealit has moderation? Last I looked at it, all their non-classifieds content was about 3 years out of date. Including typhoon warnings.

Yes, apparently. It's one of the reasons why my friend created the Taipei Housing and Buy/Sell/Trade Facebook groups. It seems whoever was in charge of moderation was targeting specific people for personal reasons.

url posted:

More interestingly a colleague reminded me of CPI. I have seen a on the roads, and it ticks most of the boxes I want (almost dirt bike shocks for the atrocious roads), but they also do a 650.

Don't forget, if you intend to drive legally, anything over a 250cc engine requires the special heavy motorcycle license. You'll have to pass the American style test where you need to get into high gear and then break within a certain distance.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

url posted:

I had a quick nose around after I posted y/day.

The Quanannon(I don't know how to pluralise that) only go to 150 and I already have a 150 kymco scooter (the brakes are very good); as such, I'm kinda loathe to consider swapping a 150 for a 150. While I do like my scooter alot, I want to get off the linear acceleration and get onto a proper acceleration curve. I could do that on the Quanannon, but, I'd rather cut my teeth on 250+

I saw that SYM do a 250 T2, which looks pretty respectable and I'd definitely consider it.

I intend to give some serious consideration to both toward the end of this year.

e: I forget who it was that was leaving a ducati monster in the US, but drat, that seems a shame.

That's me. I'm about to sell my 2010 1100s Monster. It would be fairly useless or get totaled over there.

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

Alright cool Taiwan goonmen: anyone want to play tour guide on Sunday? I've got a free day. It's my third time in the country, but I'm still loving lost and probably missing out on a bunch of cool stuff.

I (my expense account) will buy you beer.

potatoofdoom
Jan 22, 2013

You'll need a Taiwanese based cell phone number for iTaiwan free wifi. If you haven't already, you should be able to pick up a prepaid sim card and use that, if you've got an unlocked phone. Out of the few telco companies I've used, the best prepaid service is from Taiwan Mobile (otherwise known as DaGuDa http://english.taiwanmobile.com/english/product/3GPrepaidCard.html).

Just remember to bring your passport as they'll need to copy down a bunch of information.

potatoofdoom fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 22, 2013

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Sterling_Archer posted:

That's me. I'm about to sell my 2010 1100s Monster. It would be fairly useless or get totaled over there.

I've only seen a few bikes > 650 in the year or so since I've been here (one of which was a beautiful Monster), so you're probably right though it seems like a crying shame to have to leave it behind.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Alright cool Taiwan goonmen: anyone want to play tour guide on Sunday? I've got a free day. It's my third time in the country, but I'm still loving lost and probably missing out on a bunch of cool stuff.

I (my expense account) will buy you beer.

Where have/haven't you been? Interested in anything in particular?

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

I've done 101, a night market or two, some drinking, but that's about it. I'm interested mainly in food but I'm sure I'm missing out on some cultural stuff (cks memorial?) and some natural beauty as well.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

I've done 101, a night market or two, some drinking, but that's about it. I'm interested mainly in food but I'm sure I'm missing out on some cultural stuff (cks memorial?) and some natural beauty as well.

There's nothing wrong with food tourism. :colbert:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckfarts posted:

There's nothing wrong with food tourism. :colbert:

So this is where your user name comes from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

Not to break up nuke chat, but if anybody lurking in this thread is looking for a job opportunity here in Taiwan, my branch is so desperate for a new NST that HESS is willing to hire someone from abroad at any time and send them to us. All training will be done 1 on 1, here at the branch.

Please, somebody come and save me from the 30 hours I'm scheduled to teach every week for the rest of the month.

I'm leaving my current position at a Shane school in 3 months. Currently feeling around for jobs. How is your HESS school, though?