Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

landsnype

Greenhouse by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Whelp color 4x5 owns. I'm gonna go broke.

20130301-009-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130301-003-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130301-001-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

P1120421.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

The Bus to Work by fuglsnef, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
It's some sort of landscape:

P3070007-Edit by azathosk, on Flickr

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Does anyone own a Singh-Ray Galen Rowell ND-3G-HS (P-size)?

I'm looking for a photo of that particular filter and it's case, if possible. I suspect I just got sold a counterfeit filter (which, is insane that such things even exist). I already have other Singh-Ray filters, including the ND-3G-SS, and there are too many small differences that are making me wonder...

Asking here because I think it's the most likely group of people on this board to own this particular filter.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

IMG_2949-2 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_2967 by s-bothun, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

8th-samurai posted:

Whelp color 4x5 owns. I'm gonna go broke.

20130301-009-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130301-003-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130301-001-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

Yes it does. I wish I could get into it. :/

Keep it up.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Whitezombi posted:

Keep it up.

Okay! (processed older shots)

IMG_2887 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_2972 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_2855 by s-bothun, on Flickr

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
Edit: Stupid app posted in the wrong thread. Sorry goons.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Was looking for the PANSTARRS comet but the haze was pretty thick when the sun set and I wasn't able to see it. I did at least get a 4 shot pano of the sunset out of it.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Gambl0r posted:

Does anyone own a Singh-Ray Galen Rowell ND-3G-HS (P-size)?

I'm looking for a photo of that particular filter and it's case, if possible. I suspect I just got sold a counterfeit filter (which, is insane that such things even exist). I already have other Singh-Ray filters, including the ND-3G-SS, and there are too many small differences that are making me wonder...

Asking here because I think it's the most likely group of people on this board to own this particular filter.

I don't but is it maybe possible to contact Singh-Ray? I am sure they don't want people selling fake stuff and would probably help you out... Assuming you got it from some kind of legit source...

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

what would be a good nd filter for daytime exposures? I've got a 14mm prime lens and have wanted to get longer exposures when I'm out hiking during the daytime. The lens requires a 77mm filter.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

kcncuda71 posted:

I've got a 14mm prime lens and have wanted to get longer exposures when I'm out hiking during the daytime.

Why?

I haven't used it much, but my B+W 10-stop filter has been great.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

Why?

I haven't used it much, but my B+W 10-stop filter has been great.

Occasionally I want a slow shutter speed during a daytime hike specifically to get the moving water effect at rivers.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kcncuda71 posted:

what would be a good nd filter for daytime exposures? I've got a 14mm prime lens and have wanted to get longer exposures when I'm out hiking during the daytime. The lens requires a 77mm filter.

I carry three–, six–, and ten‐stop filters. If the sunny f/16 rule is applicable, a ten‐stop filter will give a 2.5‐second exposure at ISO 100/21°.

Ten‐stops is about as as strong as NDs come. Two‐stop filters are popular, but I chose to start at three stops because I figure I can jump from ISO 100 to 200 or 400 if I want something in‐between.

e: Also, what 14 mm prime do you have that accepts filters?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 13, 2013

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 29, 2020

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I carry three–, six–, and ten‐stop filters. If the sunny f/16 rule is applicable, a ten‐stop filter will give a 2.5‐second exposure at ISO 100/21°.

Ten‐stops is about as as strong as NDs come. Two‐stop filters are popular, but I chose to start at three stops because I figure I can jump from ISO 100 to 200 or 400 if I want something in‐between.

e: Also, what 14 mm prime do you have that accepts filters?

Pentax 14mm f2.8 prime does accept filters. I think I may just start out with a 9 or 10 stop ND filter and I'll add to it as necessary.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

A 10 stop ND is a lot of fun during the day. I would suggest starting there and then seeing if you need something faster.

Tryin to find something interesting locally. I'm so ready for spring though.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Peever
Nov 14, 2004

This shit's chess, it ain't checkers! Shit. They build jails 'cause of me.
Went out to the park after a recent snowfall.

White Path by spcr050, on Flickr

I took a ton of shots. As I'm going through them I'm wondering if it would be better to develop most of them in black and white since the only color was white and brown? When trying to develop them in color I'm finding it really tiresome to fiddle with the white balance to prevent the overall picture from being too blue instead of white. Any tips for developing winter/snow landscapes?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

landscape thread: winter is coming still here

how cornice is made by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

i walk a mile to and from school every day in the snow uphill both ways by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

IMG_3056 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_3100 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_3092 by s-bothun, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

This is rad.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

:) Thanks.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!

IMG_7388 by Wilson!!!!, on Flickr

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
It's still winter here, too!

Mississippi River, Winter

East River Flats Hill

University of Minnesota

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

Sunset on Bruntsfield by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Spime Wrangler posted:

landscape thread: winter is coming still here

Wish it snowed like that here. :/ I shot something similar on B&W film around 20 years ago. Huge blizzard in the Oklahoma Panhandle.

What 8th said.

Bilbo Baggins
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Morning Sun by Pliv10, on Flickr

Holly by Pliv10, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Just sailing back into port after 2 weeks resupply of macquarie island. only got a couple of hours ashore as I was due back on board for my watch, and they were reeeeally funny about letting us venture too far from the base, and even wandering off the beaten tracks, probably because of the probability of being raped by seals.

Macquarie Island - Winch by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Rough weather by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Rough weather - water on deck by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Macquarie Island 1 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Macquarie Island 2 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Macquarie Island 3 - The Isthmus by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Macquarie Island 4 - Old tanks by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Macquarie Island 5 - Hasselborough Bay by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Macquarie Island 6 - The Leads by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Helideck - Rough weather by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Helideck - rough weather 2 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Trawl Deck - rough weather by Alex Gard, on Flickr

edit: this last photo almost cost me my camera. You can see the blur, this was a particularly bad bump in the road and I nearly lost my footing as the water came charging towards me. Tripod almost fell over and camera almost suffered a horrible watery death

edit 2: if you want to see some footage of the weather on the trawl deck, here's a video i took about a year ago. fast forward to about 2:35 and again to 4:50. That's pretty typical of the southern ocean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdLIcBYhrxk

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 15, 2013

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Sludge Tank posted:

Awesome photos

:gizz: WOW!! These are amazing. Especially the rough weather ones, well done!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How the hell did the tripod not move during all that? :stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Martytoof posted:

How the hell did the tripod not move during all that? :stare:

I was going to ask that.

My guess is that the camera was clamped to hand railing.

I don’t think it could have been just a tripod. It would have pulled negative G‐force.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a sunpak, everyone knows they can't withstand a negative-g pushover.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I was holding the tripod with my hand by one of the legs, pushing down into the deck. Also was holding onto railing. I'm absolutely amazed how much motion blur I managed to avoid. It's a really lovely tripod, too.

The one take from top of the ship (the 'monkey island' which is the deck above the Bridge) looking forward was in 45 knot winds gusting 55. I was getting pummeled by weather standing there trying to get the photo.

edit: I was using a gigaTproII remote shutter release for the long exposures, too

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 15, 2013

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Now I want to see Leviathan even more.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm surprised you aren't at the bottom of the ocean dude. Good job on the photos AND staying safe :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
sorry to post whore, last ones I promise.

Macquarie Island - Wind Tunnel by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Macquarie Island - Wind Tunnel 2 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

(can I get away with wildlife-landscapes?)

Macquarie Island - Snoozing Elephant Seals by Alex Gard, on Flickr

fun fact: dogs, seals, bears, polar bears, Walruses, red pandas and racoons are all related

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 15, 2013