Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Canuck-Errant posted:

drat, MA-Horus.

What do you have against garbage?

Nicely put.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Swats should be the issued boots, they're awesome

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Pufflekins posted:

Swats should be the issued boots, they're awesome

Until they get wet.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Hizawk posted:

Until they get wet.

I'm sure they can make a wet weather style boot.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
They can't. Waterproof Swats are junk.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
I like those boots that firefighters have to wear. There's a zipper on the side which would save at least 2 minutes on my morning routine of dressing up.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Looks alright to me.

http://www.originalswat.com/products/115201/

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Have you tried them? They suck.

SWAT's are terrible field boots when it gets wet, and their weatherproof boot is terrible.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Hizawk posted:

Have you tried them? They suck.

SWAT's are terrible field boots when it gets wet, and their weatherproof boot is terrible.

Agreed. Zippers and SWATs (and even moreso SWATs with zippers) are horrible for any work out in the field. I actually wore my Mk. IIIs over SWATs in the field until I got a pair of Lowa's issued to me.

SWATs are great for garrison though.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
The current issue boots for the navy are actually not bad. Custom made Terra brand Gortex safety boots with a fabric upper. Much much better than the short-lived monstrosities that they replaced. Those were some kind of horrible crossing of a Mk IV and a safety boot that ended up weighing roughly 10 lbs a piece. I've no idea how they were able to get those out of the system so quickly but I'm glad they did.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
Bring back the MK 3!

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I bought a pair of SWAT's for the mechanic shop I worked at and they were amazing. Best pair of steel toes ive owned. They have held up quite well except the leather get scratched and torn easily. I loved my GP's I used them over my gortex boots that the tred was almost flat.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mstrkrft posted:

Bring back the MK 3!

This, but also an insulated version for winter. Regular Mk. III's suck cock in the winter.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Zippered boots are against regs as well. I like SWAT steel toes for doing maintenance stuff, and issued boots for the field. In cold weather the issued carbon toe Baffins are incredible. Like minus 55 with toasty warm feet. We only got them issued on ex because mukluks aren't waterproof.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

mukluks aren't waterproof.

God I just remembered battle school, doing pull pole for 6 straight hours one night. I took off my snow shoes and stepped down and I get buried up to my waste in snow, then I felt the cold water rushing through. God that sucked.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

ub posted:

The current issue boots for the navy are actually not bad. Custom made Terra brand Gortex safety boots with a fabric upper. Much much better than the short-lived monstrosities that they replaced. Those were some kind of horrible crossing of a Mk IV and a safety boot that ended up weighing roughly 10 lbs a piece. I've no idea how they were able to get those out of the system so quickly but I'm glad they did.

Agreed, I like them a lot. The only annoying thing is that salt tends to condense on the mesh part when you sweat, but I guess that's what boot polish is for.

A guy on my boat wears these at sea:

CSA-approved Blundstone work boots. Totally not regulation, but neither are the SWAT boots so :shrug:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

HammerOfHope posted:

Agreed, I like them a lot. The only annoying thing is that salt tends to condense on the mesh part when you sweat, but I guess that's what boot polish is for.

A guy on my boat wears these at sea:

CSA-approved Blundstone work boots. Totally not regulation, but neither are the SWAT boots so :shrug:

Blundstone are so loving comfortable and easy

But would be utterly useless for anything field-like.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
Does anyone know anything about the standard of dress when commuting to work by bicycle? I am fairly sure that you can wear a fairly plain safety helmet with cadpat and just switch to beret when you lock up your bike but I wanted to check first.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

scaper exile posted:

Does anyone know anything about the standard of dress when commuting to work by bicycle? I am fairly sure that you can wear a fairly plain safety helmet with cadpat and just switch to beret when you lock up your bike but I wanted to check first.

3. Motorcycles, Motor Scooters, Mopeds, Snowmobiles and Bicycles
a. Civilian-pattern helmets shall be worn by personnel in uniform when operating or riding a motorcycle, motor scooter, moped, or snowmobile, other than as part of their normal duty. The helmet shall be free of insignia and gaudy or bizarre designs. Appropriate military headdress shall be carried for wear immediately upon dismounting from the vehicle. The wearing of a helmet when operating a bicycle is strongly encouraged.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

HammerOfHope posted:

The wearing of a helmet when operating a bicycle is strongly encouraged.

Just to add to this, bicycles go base by base. I know when the new Base SM took over for Shilo he made it mandatory to wear a helmet on a bicycle. So ask base duty or something.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So apparently there are maple leaves hidden in the pattern of CADPAT.
Has anyone noticed this before?

Red leaves are dark and blue ones are light.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Have you heard of Apophenia?

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
They say you can see a USN logo in the US Navy Working Uniform pattern, but it must me some magic eye poo poo because I sure can't see it.

I joke, but I think Mr Frog is closer to the truth. There wouldn't be any utility to it, and I would hope that cosmetic concerns weren't a factor when designing the pattern.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ub posted:

They say you can see a USN logo in the US Navy Working Uniform pattern, but it must me some magic eye poo poo because I sure can't see it.

I joke, but I think Mr Frog is closer to the truth. There wouldn't be any utility to it, and I would hope that cosmetic concerns weren't a factor when designing the pattern.

It's in the pattern not with the pattern. Check out the bottom left corner

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pufflekins posted:

It's in the pattern not with the pattern. Check out the bottom left corner

T'was a joke.

Anyway, did you know we're all in the Canadian Armed Forces again for real this time? http://www.canada.com/Canadian+Forces+quietly+name/8085657/story.html

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Thank god. I'd been wondering for AGES of what sort of force we were. It certainly isn't one to be reckoned with.

Re: boots - I say the easiest would be to just go the route of the US and give everyone X dollars worth of boot chit per year and have a list of approved manufacturers and styles. No one single boot is going to please everyone, ever, so why try?

Great news to anyone in 1 VP. This fiscal year we get 75% less than last year for all training and activities. Woooooooo. Militia bullets and CAXes for everyone. :sigh: Not that we need it as part of a high readiness battle group or anything.

Cojac
Apr 1, 2001
I don't post enough for anyone to form a hatred of me strong enough to warrant a custom title.

Simkin posted:

Thank god. I'd been wondering for AGES of what sort of force we were. It certainly isn't one to be reckoned with.

Re: boots - I say the easiest would be to just go the route of the US and give everyone X dollars worth of boot chit per year and have a list of approved manufacturers and styles. No one single boot is going to please everyone, ever, so why try?

Great news to anyone in 1 VP. This fiscal year we get 75% less than last year for all training and activities. Woooooooo. Militia bullets and CAXes for everyone. :sigh: Not that we need it as part of a high readiness battle group or anything.

I'll be there with a small batch of new guys next week. Anything I should know about battalion life, the base, or just Edmonton in general?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
We're just in post-ex right now after Ex Patricia Justice, and are getting ready to do some super happy fun brigade and then area level high-readiness training that will see us out in the field for all of april and may. I've found Edmonton to be alright, albeit a bit cold and further from the mountains than I was hoping. The base is pretty well appointed in terms of a decent gym, but you'll end up using the bn one anyhow. Snow removal is not a priority on base, though.

Where are you coming in from?

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Simkin posted:

Snow removal is not a priority on base, though.

The SPV section seriously lack good equipements or well-qualified people to do the work.

Also, I got you guys out of the sectors yesterdays in a super noisy as gently caress pickle bus.

Good Times.

Cojac
Apr 1, 2001
I don't post enough for anyone to form a hatred of me strong enough to warrant a custom title.

Simkin posted:

We're just in post-ex right now after Ex Patricia Justice, and are getting ready to do some super happy fun brigade and then area level high-readiness training that will see us out in the field for all of april and may. I've found Edmonton to be alright, albeit a bit cold and further from the mountains than I was hoping. The base is pretty well appointed in terms of a decent gym, but you'll end up using the bn one anyhow. Snow removal is not a priority on base, though.

Where are you coming in from?

I'm coming in from Meaford, so I'm looking forward to seeing people that aren't the toothless mutants that inhabit Owen Sound.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Edmonton is nice in that you can live in the city and just be a dude with short hair when your day is done. The shacks suck but once you move out it's a pretty decent base. A lot of civvies, specifically girls, don't even know there's a base in Edmonton, so there's no stigma with being an army guy like you'd find in smaller towns with bases like Oromocto or Wainwright.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Cojac posted:

I'm coming in from Meaford, so I'm looking forward to seeing people that aren't the toothless mutants that inhabit Owen Sound.

Is the one-legged stripper still in Owen Sound?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MA-Horus posted:

No Neck still on the prowl for army dick?

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
Oh God, Owen Sound was the saddest place I've ever been. How do they avoid self-immolating in despair over there?

Cojac
Apr 1, 2001

MA-Horus posted:

I've only heard stories about her. The worst I've seen has been a few obviously pregnant strippers.

Fraser CDN posted:

No Neck still on the prowl for army dick?

I think I saw her once or twice at the Harb, but she never took a run at anybody I knew.

Morristron posted:

Oh God, Owen Sound was the saddest place I've ever been. How do they avoid self-immolating in despair over there?

A lot of alcohol.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I've heard about the One-legged stripper too as well as some other really hosed up strippers.

Owen sound is where hope goes to die.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Cojac posted:

A lot of alcohol.

I remember snorting vodka or something up my nose one time after my driver wheel course.. I think MA-Horus was there too since he recalls the kind of course we had.. I think I still have that shirt somewhere in a forgotten drawer with the thermals, socks, and assorted green shirts.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vadoc posted:

I remember snorting vodka or something up my nose one time after my driver wheel course.. I think MA-Horus was there too since he recalls the kind of course we had.. I think I still have that shirt somewhere in a forgotten drawer with the thermals, socks, and assorted green shirts.

Miles Driven: 400
Miles Run: 401

gently caress that gay course forever and the instructors that felt that PTing Driver Wheel candidates to death for no reason was a good idea.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I think we ran 403 Miles but I could be wrong. You'd think they'd have PT'd the previous course to death instead since they're the ones that had so many extra people and not enough vehicles that it was a cool paid vacation for them.

And yet, still not my worst experience at Meaford since I had to ride shotgun in an LS from Meaford to Petawawa with a broken heater blowing hot air into my crotch the entire way until I eventually shoved an empty Timmies cup into the hole. Well..that and carrying all my poo poo from Ottawa to Meaford and then back for the Driver Wheel course when I took the bus instead of a personal vehicle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Man I'm glad my driver wheel was a coffee course.