Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
The new video was great as always, guys! :) I especially love how Kibe immediately went around Arino to look at the old games in the case during the arcade trip since I know I would've done the same exact thing if I were there.

Also, I wouldn't mind more compilation videos of some of the other season-long segments like To Catch a Copy or the one where Inoue shows Arino "brutal" video game deaths (I forgot the name of that segment :saddowns:).

Edit: It's Crash Videos MAX.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

NarbYehoot posted:

Bought the DVD. It owns. GCCX on my TV is a nice change of pace.

I finally ordered the DVDs myself today, both as a show of support to the program, as well as to thank Discotek because they are apparently going to release DVDs of the classic 1970s Mazinger Z anime. :allears:

It's gonna be fun trying to splice these non-challenge segments into the challenges from the DVD. Guess I'll worry about that when I get it in the mail, but even if I can't figure it out, I can still watch the DVD.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Personally getting the DVDs was worth it for me just to see how god damned strange the end of Battle Golfer Yui was. :v:

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Ciaphas posted:

Personally getting the DVDs was worth it for me just to see how god damned strange the end of Battle Golfer Yui was. :v:

Why did everyone die in the end of that game

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

bpc908 posted:

I'm already making a fan-made compilation of the Tamages

I'm working on one that just covers all the Metal Slug appearances, since SNK managed to have gotten that game to almost every candy store and arcade in Japan. Its at least double-digits in how many times it's popped up.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Gosh, I get the feeling when I stop buying Famicom games, I should get around to buying this Dee vee dee people keep yappin' about.

What an interesting store from the latest translation. Gotta be pretty ballsy to sell unopened games for original price.

e: if anyone wants that "Slo-Mo" device arino bought in Comix Zone, it's up on rakuten:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/surugaya-a-too/item/1668170-1/

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 14, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

bpc908 posted:

Why did everyone die in the end of that game
That will always make me laugh since the "bad" ending from what I remember is Yui being brainwashed into becoming the leader of the evil group who owns the golf course, and likely doesn't kill as many people as she and her friend do after exploding in the real ending.

But yeah, Battle Golfer Yui is easily one of my favorite challenges on the DVD set just because of the game itself. Most of the others are good (I think Super Fantasy Zone was my least favorite, but I think it was mentioned in this thread that SFZ is considered to be one of the weaker challenges), but Yui will have a place in my heart as one of the craziest games ever done on the show (probably second to Paris-Dakar since that game is pure :wtc: after the first stage).

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Yui is my favorite challenge if only because it's one of the only games Arino has completely and utterly dominated, including the multiplayer. Arino is at his best when he's actually winning and having fun.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I keep seeing a picture of Arino looking displeased in a Rei Ayanami costume all over Tumblr, but of course no one posts anything about where it's from. Anyone here know?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

I really liked it when the announcer was teasing Nakayama for not making eye contact/always looking at the camera, and then when he looked at her shes all "Nice to meet you"

Nakayama is the gooniest of all ADs.

The ending of Battle Golfer Yui was one of the staff's selections as their favorite moments from that season...

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Andorra posted:

Has there ever been an arcade trip to a place that Arino has gone to before when he was younger?
That'd be cool--I like when he reminisces about going over to a friend's house and playing this game or the other. But Arino is from Osaka, on the other side of the country, so unless they do a Kansai Travelogue, it's not likely we'll get tours of the arcades he frequented as a child/young man.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

That'd be cool--I like when he reminisces about going over to a friend's house and playing this game or the other. But Arino is from Osaka, on the other side of the country, so unless they do a Kansai Travelogue, it's not likely we'll get tours of the arcades he frequented as a child/young man.

Actually, since it ties in with both his home region and a game he's played, a "53 game centers of the Toukaidou" miniseries would be amazing.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That's the best idea for a segment this thread has ever seen. :golfclap:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So, I just found out something I didn't know about the show and that we probably should have mentioned a while ago. Arino's Cambodia trip was a parody of something that was big news in Japan last year. A Japanese comedian and marathon runner named Neko Hiroshi wasn't able to qualify for the Japanese Olympic team so he obtained Cambodian citizenship in 2011 and got on their 2012 Olympic team. He was disqualified by the IOC since he wouldn't have been a citizen of Cambodia a full year when the Olympics came around.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That store that sells unopened games for the original price.... Dear me, I'd walk away with my hands and bags full of stuff. Maybe that's why the store owner said he was annoyed with people advertising his store. I was totally feeling like Kibe was, like a kid in a candy store.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Azazell0 posted:

That store that sells unopened games for the original price.... Dear me, I'd walk away with my hands and bags full of stuff. Maybe that's why the store owner said he was annoyed with people advertising his store. I was totally feeling like Kibe was, like a kid in a candy store.

If he's spooked by regional gamers knowing his store, imagine if gamers from overseas started coming in.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

If he's spooked by regional gamers knowing his store, imagine if gamers from overseas started coming in.

As a gamer from overseas who looked for his store, I think it's shut down now. I went through that whole warren looking for it...

Edit: Wait, wrong one. That guy is located pretty out of the way for tourists.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 14, 2013

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
It seems to be commonly believed in the Japanese GCCX fandom that Konami is extremely strict about their games being used on the show, lowering the chances of any Konami game challenge. I translated a post someone made that lays out the facts.

Japanese GCCX viewer posted:

What we know:
Season 1: Yie-Ar Kung-Fu, Gradius, Track & Field
Season 2: Konami Wai Wai World
Season 3: Tokimeki Memorial, Phoenix
Season 5: Contra
Season 6: Castlevania III, Bio Miracle
Season 7: Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Season 8: Kid Dracula (Feb 13 '08)
~Four year gap~
Season 16: Gradius (March 8 '12)

- Wai Wai and Phoenix haven't been re-broadcast
- During 24H Lemmings it was revealed they're no longer allowed to show Tokimeki Memorial
(This added fire to rumours that Konami no longer lets their games be used for challenges)
- In the New Years special, when they looked back at every challenge in the past 8 years, they didn't show Track & Field or Phoenix (They also didn't show SASA, Doraemon and Umihara)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Huh, that's probably why Metal Gear got removed from the opening sequence without Arino ever challenging it. What a shame.

Meme Emulator posted:

I really liked it when the announcer was teasing Nakayama for not making eye contact/always looking at the camera, and then when he looked at her shes all "Nice to meet you"

The announcer's barely hidden disdain for Arino is only topped by her barely hidden disdain for Nakayama, it's beautiful.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
Man, that would be a real bummer if Konami is getting really strict with them using games now. I mean, besides the obvious Metal Gear, it means little chance of seeing a return to Castlevania or Rocket Knight Adventures.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

It seems to be commonly believed in the Japanese GCCX fandom that Konami is extremely strict about their games being used on the show, lowering the chances of any Konami game challenge. I translated a post someone made that lays out the facts.

The fact that season #15 ended with a Gradius challenge is amazing. How did they get permission to challenge Gradius?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Yeah, I had worked out that Konami had stopped letting them use footage.

But Wai Wai World has been rebroadcast. It was as one of the episodes re-edited with the Northernmost Game Center Trip between seasons five and six.

And I could have sworn I saw something that they used a brief snippit of Tokimeki Memorial footage in a few months ago. I went, "Whoa, I thought they couldn't show any of that anymore!"

Edit: Double checking on things, I might have been conflating an old episode with Takuhai, Get Fired Up where elderly Arino describes Tokimeki Ninja Memorial.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 14, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's entirely understandable. Konami have gone utterly batshit in the last few years.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Looks like they're going to be announcing something really soon
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=497996576925441&id=183607395031029

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

So, I just found out something I didn't know about the show and that we probably should have mentioned a while ago. Arino's Cambodia trip was a parody of something that was big news in Japan last year. A Japanese comedian and marathon runner named Neko Hiroshi wasn't able to qualify for the Japanese Olympic team so he obtained Cambodian citizenship in 2011 and got on their 2012 Olympic team. He was disqualified by the IOC since he wouldn't have been a citizen of Cambodia a full year when the Olympics came around.

That makes the whole special make much more sense. I thought it was kind of a weird and needlessly offensive take for a trip.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

bpc908 posted:

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=497996576925441&id=183607395031029

Is this an official page? If so, this is pretty exciting.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Xik posted:

Is this an official page? If so, this is pretty exciting.

It's from the Retro Game Master Official Facebook Page.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

bpc908 posted:

"KOTAK to dub all future releases"

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

I hate that guy Super Chris bitching in the comments of the SAGCCX facebook. What a misinformed douche

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Wow, I dont normally delete comments...but...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What was he saying?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

What was he saying?

I don't know but I'm going to put money on blaming us for the YouTube take down.

I'd joke about it, but I'm 99% certain that it would be taken out of context and repeated elsewhere...

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Just general 'Discotek is evil for making a DVD of a show therefore ruining EVERYTHING for us law-abiding movie pirates'

Edit: Several times

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Just general 'Discotek is evil for making a DVD of a show therefore ruining EVERYTHING for us law-abiding movie pirates'

and the fact that the DVD didn't have the Non-Challenge Segements even though the Japanese DVDs are the same way

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*
Yeah, basic stuff about the tamages, but he was also claiming the episodes were cropped, something about flashy subtitles, and then going on about how he bought the dvd but at the same time going on about why it should be free and how selling it is bad and something about pirating. Just useless stuff.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Sounds like the typical facebook post.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
What's sad is that I'm sure there are (and will be) more people like Super Chris who think that the show should be totally free...

Personally, I love that SAGCCX translates episodes for free since you guys are loving awesome, but I would be more than happy to buy a second DVD set knowing that it helps in the chances of more GCCX stuff coming out here. :)

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

bpc908 posted:

Oh man, i really hope its either
A) A new DVD set or
B) The total pipe-dream, but another USA visit. I've got plenty of money stashed away for when a once in a lifetime thing happens, and this would be it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Surely the announcement would have something to do with Netflix or some other VOD service, given that they were asking about it before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

I don't think that would warrant a big announcement. It better be a new DVD set