Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sewer-Cover
May 28, 2010
I`m really liking where they`re going with the death dungeon and Brian Mitsoda is always awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Brown Moses posted:

Looks like the Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter is on track to knock Torment of the top spot for fastest million raised.

And that is with non-us fans excluded from donating.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

The writing and world of Bloodlines was so addicting that it made me overlook the the actual system's many, many flaws and glitches and bugs.

Anyone that helped pull that off being on Torment makes me excited.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

No sell unless Mitsoda does voice acting too. :colbert:

where is dead state at anyway?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Um, yeah. Isn't Mitsoda supposed to be working full time with his tiny company to deliver Dead State?
:raise:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Fintilgin posted:

Um, yeah. Isn't Mitsoda supposed to be working full time with his tiny company to deliver Dead State?

That's not a problem. Wasteland 2 is still under development, too, don't forget. Torment isn't due out for quite some time.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Fintilgin posted:

Update 6 posted:

(Fortunately, the schedules for Torment and Dead State make this possible.)

I'm guessing this means that Dead State will be released sometime within the next six months so he can then go to work on Torment instead.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Holy crap! Brian Mitsoda, the story creator and writer of Vampire: Bloodlines?

This is shaping up to be amaaaaazing.

Has there been any updates for Dead State since the kickstarter? That game has been in development for a long time now.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Holy crap! Brian Mitsoda, the story creator and writer of Vampire: Bloodlines?

This is shaping up to be amaaaaazing.

Torment's writing team is shaping up to be pretty incredible, too bad we have to wait 1.5 years before really seeing what they come up with. But really it's pretty much the dream team of CRPG writers already!

Also does anyone know what kinda budget PS:T, or eg. BG1 had? Would be intresting to know how much money those games cost to make, and to see if KS funding can come even close to those numbers.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Brother None posted:

and adding Brian Mitsoda to the team.

OH MY GOD YES

the black husserl posted:

Has there been any updates for Dead State since the kickstarter? That game has been in development for a long time now.

They're supposed to be showing off a combat demonstration very soon, according to a forum post by one of the developers a few days ago.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
In case someone missed it you can now vote on what you would like to see as a future stretch goal, or suggest your own, here.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brown Moses posted:

Looks like the Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter is on track to knock Torment of the top spot for fastest million raised.

I was an extra in Season 1, Episode 16. Locked eyes with Kristen Bell, or so I'd like to believe! Grueling 14-hour days for just two scenes. Everyone was dead tired and just staring off into the void. Even the SAG extras, who are usually prima donnas because they get special treatment, were quiet. I'm surprised that the minimum for this movie is only $2M, but then again, Veronica Mars had minimal props, used cheap locations like public schools, and was all dialogue.

Megazver posted:

Well, they were worried about the new releases and they wanted you to buy the tree editions.

Still doesn't make any sense. My publisher had DRM for many years, which only annoyed legitimate customers. They've been distributing DRM-free ebooks for several years now and haven't looked back. In fact, I think they saw their overall sales go up. I still send out a lot of DMCAs and we have access to a global antipiracy division, but we do takedowns really only to protect the IP.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
To be honest, I'm a little worried all of these additions may cause more problems down the road than their worth, I mean, in Planescape: Torment, you only had just barely more than enough companions to fill out your party roster so they were able to go into full detail on each of them, but here they seem to be adding more and more, I don't want any of it to be watered down because there's only so much you can do.

And with the added writers, even if they're all good, I don't any 'too many cooks in the kitchen' kind of situation going on.

V V V Edit: Yeah, but I imagine that the planned party number probably is going to be what the original number of characters were. I just don't want them to lose focus, you know, the whole generic bigger is not always better, limits can be good for creativity kind of thing.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 13, 2013

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, the highest stretch goal yet revealed only puts us at the same number of companions as the original...

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

gently caress it, went in for $80. PS:T is my favorite game of all times and even though inXile haven't yet shown their cRPG creation capabilities I won't lose that much in the worst case. They have a lot of good writers and Numenera seems like the kind of ~technomagic~ settings I enjoy.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
The same guy who is giving $100,000 is also giving $10,000 to veronica mars :stare:

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

BenRGamer posted:

To be honest, I'm a little worried all of these additions may cause more problems down the road than their worth, I mean, in Planescape: Torment, you only had just barely more than enough companions to fill out your party roster so they were able to go into full detail on each of them, but here they seem to be adding more and more, I don't want any of it to be watered down because there's only so much you can do.

And with the added writers, even if they're all good, I don't any 'too many cooks in the kitchen' kind of situation going on.

V V V Edit: Yeah, but I imagine that the planned party number probably is going to be what the original number of characters were. I just don't want them to lose focus, you know, the whole generic bigger is not always better, limits can be good for creativity kind of thing.

Go here and vote for more reactivity, you're welcome.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Twee as gently caress posted:

The same guy who is giving $100,000 is also giving $10,000 to veronica mars :stare:

I mean, if you've got enough money to donate $100,000 to a game production without any personal return other than donor rewards and self-satisfaction, I really doubt another $10k is a big loss.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I mean, if you've got enough money to donate $100,000 to a game production without any personal return other than donor rewards and self-satisfaction, I really doubt another $10k is a big loss.

He also gave thousands of dollars to Wasteland as well.

And my :stare: is more about the amount he's given total really

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Steven Dengler basically just spends his days running around angel investing in stuff he loves. I believe he's put quite a lot of money into Double Fine over the years, and now directly into inXile. What can I say, he's a bro.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Brother None posted:

Steven Dengler basically just spends his days running around angel investing in stuff he loves. I believe he's put quite a lot of money into Double Fine over the years, and now directly into inXile. What can I say, he's a bro.

Well good for him, if I had money I'd probably be doing things like that too :shobon:

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Also yes please, more suggestions like this:

PS:T superfan no.1 posted:

The Ultimate Dungeon

A huge and very long optional end game dungeon that has nothing to do with the main story.
This final dungeon would be the ultimate challenge in therms of fighting difficulty, with tough ennemies and maybe hard bosses.
How far will you go?

Ennemies' levels are always based on your level (level scaling),
( always with higher levels than yours, or same level, but still hard to kill compared to regular ennemies),
so that you can never have a team to strong for them to easily clear the whole area.

Ennemies and bosses are respawing after some days in game, for endless gameplay and challenge, if you are willing to go back there.

This ultimate place could have its own story and give quests to the player.
You could uncover incredible knowledges and treasures (not overpowered please!),
but only if develloppers has time to integrate them, otherwise a dungeon only dedicated to challenging fights is enough.

Torment is supposed to be a game that focuses on story and dialogue, it does not mean fights have to be neglected.

I hate those RPG games in wich your team becomes unstoppable in the end, or in wich there is no challenge at all.
I also don't like when ennemies never respawn, so that there is nothing left to do in the game at the end.

In Torment, I liked to fight in the sewers, where tough ennemies were always respawning.
I wanted the game to go on forever, and this place was still giving me fun, even though it was only through fights, and even though I alwready had finished all the side quests.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Brother None posted:

Is his contribution to Torment 2 in the form of a donation or investment, since it's (potentially) an order of magnitude higher than his earlier contributions to Kickstarters (as far as I'm aware of)?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Schurik posted:

Go here and vote for more reactivity, you're welcome.

What the hell, I want to vote for all of these :ohdear:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Apparently you get 6 votes. I may have thrown three away to ask for more unique encounters.

What can I say? I like unique encounters.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Kurtofan posted:

What the hell, I want to vote for all of these :ohdear:

Vote for: "More Beardical Customization options for player characters."

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

There is one for having the game be almost fully voiced.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Rinkles posted:

Is his contribution to Torment 2 in the form of a donation or investment, since it's (potentially) an order of magnitude higher than his earlier contributions to Kickstarters (as far as I'm aware of)?

Judging from his Tweets, he's just a guy who really loves Torment and spending money.

Sewer-Cover
May 28, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There is one for having the game be almost fully voiced.

The way that one's worded makes it seem like they'll just be expanding the voice acting to Planescape: Torment levels from "We don't have that much money, let's do the absolute minimum". Unless you're referring to a suggestion I missed when I looked at the suggestion list.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
Ziets and Mitsoda, indeed, they know what is important for this project.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

He's the only reason I got to play Costume Quest on PC and it's my favorite Double Fine game, so good for him.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

quote:

Theme song

Make one of the tracks on the soundtrack a song (with words!) which will deliver the atmosphere of the game. Possibly - recruit some famous and interesting singer to sing it.

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009
Reminds me of the Bond style Snake Eater intro. It should be like that.

"Some day... you'll feed ... on a tree froooog"

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I think that this is (unironically) the best stretch goal idea I've seen:

Someone posted:

A fortress that exist in your mind alone

Think of it as "housing" in a more abstract way. Just as the labyrinth is connected to your own psyche and visited upon death, so could this fortress of the mind nestled deep within the labyrinth. As you progress through the game, you'll find that events will not only shape you as an individual, but also be shaping your fortress of the mind to reflect which tides you are being influenced by as well as serve as a reminded of momentous events in your adventure.

It serves as a record keeper of the creatures, people, oddities, cyphers, and numeras that you encounter. As you defeat foes and help others, or find oddities/powerful cyphers; you create mental images of them in your safe place - that you can peruse at length, and sometimes even converse with.

As a mental construct your companions cannot use it as a resting place, but you will no longer be in the cross-hairs of the angel of death. Of course, being nestled deep within the labyrinth and feeding on it, you might have to face your innermost fears and nightmares instead.

Though the fact that is should clearly be exists in the title annoys me far more than it should.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well good for him, if I had money I'd probably be doing things like that too :shobon:

While he's an awesome guy and he's doing this because he loves the stuff he's spending his money on, it's not all donation. The DoubleFine contributions were investments he received returns on, for example. Very generous contributions that ultimately opened up the doors to the PC market again for DF.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Schurik posted:

Also yes please, more suggestions like this:

I feel like anyone playing planescape for the combat was playing wrong.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Oh yeah!
They're officially "CONSIDERING" my suggestion of
More Beardical Customization options for player characters.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I gave it three votes.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Will you wear the beards of the eight great civilizations or will you shave them to further your own goals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Torment: Beards of Numenera.

• Locked thread