Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

In all honesty, it's amazing the numbers increased at all. Did any disc games come out last month? If the numbers don't jump after this month when actual games are releasing, then it'll be time for Nintendo to start lighting things on fire, but with Rayman getting bumped out of February, this is no surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I really want them to bring over some of the stuff that the Japanese have been getting. Those nitche games like the Train Simulators are incredibly fun. The only thing that has my interest is Monster Hunter. I'm a bit iffy on dropping 60 bucks on Lego City right away because Lego games are usually quick to be discounted. Yeah you could make the argument that a lot of the Japanese games would not appeal to the majority of North Americans, but at this point some really weird and fun games are better than none at all.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Riftling posted:

Any good deals on the system out there for someone looking to pick it and Monster Hunter up? The ZombiU set seems to be the best deal so far. $30ish more for the controller and a game on top of the system.

If you pick up a console, think about grabbing Arkham City - it's $29.99 on Amazon.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Nintendo, reprint Wii games like Mario Galaxy in HD. Charge $40 in store, $30 online.

I want my Wii games looking as well as they do on Dolphin and I would forgive the slow trickle of new games currently.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

FPzero posted:

It took me this long to realize that Game & Wario's title is a pun on the Game & Watch handhelds.

:negative:

So's the logo

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

In all honesty, it's amazing the numbers increased at all. Did any disc games come out last month? If the numbers don't jump after this month when actual games are releasing, then it'll be time for Nintendo to start lighting things on fire, but with Rayman getting bumped out of February, this is no surprise.

Probably a bump due to people buying a console in advance of MH3U. That's pretty much exactly how it played out for my boyfriend.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
February is also when people get their tax refunds back.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

NEED MOAR GAMEZ

Seriously, release some god drat games! I haven't touched this thing in months.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'm a bit iffy on dropping 60 bucks on Lego City right away because Lego games are usually quick to be discounted.

Lego City's only $50 apparently, at least on the eShop.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter come out next week, that should be big.

But yeah I mean there needs to be more in the pipes, this poo poo is getting ridiculous.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wario rules

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FPzero posted:

It took me this long to realize that Game & Wario's title is a pun on the Game & Watch handhelds.

Originally, you would receive Wario with your purchase of the game. Most members of the initial focus group were eaten.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That's what caused me to figure it out. :cripes:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Macaluso posted:

Wario rules

Yeah the Wario Ware series is the poo poo, though I can't figure out why they dropped the microgame formula to go with minigames that don't look particularly engaging beyond the novelty of "turn gamepad to mimic camera".

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This is not a WarioWare game, hence the fact that the title of the game is not WarioWare

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Countblanc posted:

Yeah the Wario Ware series is the poo poo, though I can't figure out why they dropped the microgame formula to go with minigames that don't look particularly engaging beyond the novelty of "turn gamepad to mimic camera".

Seems less like they dropped the microgame formula from Warioware, and more that they decided that slapping a Wario skin on the minigame compilation they were making would get people to buy it.

Welp, worked on me!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This is not a WarioWare game, hence the fact that the title of the game is not WarioWare

I figured that was just a cute thing

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Game & Wario does contain microgames, and not just the ones in the Gamer minigame, but who knows how many there'll be.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Yea, this is pretty much the best month since the Wii U launched to pick up a Wii U with the $50 GC target deal and the buy 2 get 1 free deal. ( If they give you the gift card at purchase for the console, i'm sure you can turn around and use it on another transaction for the games. ) It will be interesting to see how it affects March numbers.

I love my Wii U, but i'm having some serious early adopter pangs with the ZombiU bundle and this $50 gift card sale :smith:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Game & Wario does contain microgames, and not just the ones in the Gamer minigame, but who knows how many there'll be.

It does? I haven't heard anything like this; every news outlet I've seen usually only says that the standard minigames are there and that's it.

Also Warioware is fun; though I'm a bit nervous after DIY as that game kinda blew. One of the only games to ever give me buyers remorse.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter come out next week, that should be big.
It's kind of sad that we've resorted to pinning our hopes on a Lego game. On any other system at any other time, a Lego game would release to little to no fanfare. They're filler games - something you play in between big releases if one of any of the other dozen filler games that released within the same timeframe didn't tickle your fancy. That's not to imply that it's a bad game (I haven't read the reviews), but I'm finding it hard to muster anything more than a "so what?" regarding its release.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah I can't help but think at this point they should've just waited a while longer to release the console and flesh out its features better. Any advantage they could've gained by releasing the console earlier than the competition has been totally lost due to bad marketing and no games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can see the new microgames at around 2:18 in this new trailer - aside from the 16 minigames, there are little capsule items that work something like the toys in the DS game, and they each come with their own microgames, but again, no word on how many microgames all up or whether you'll be able to play 'em all back-to-back or whatever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSA0RhbakoA

It's also been confirmed that you can play the Gamer microgames on their own without having to worry hiding them from your mother, but really, why would anyone want to do that?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also Warioware is fun; though I'm a bit nervous after DIY as that game kinda blew. One of the only games to ever give me buyers remorse.

This is the wrongest thing.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Don't forget about the digital promotion thing gets you
10% off, so Lego City is really 45

So far I've only done this with Mario since I was positive it wasn't something I'd want to trade in later

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I usually just lurk in the thread but I thought with all the talk about the new Lego City game I figured people who were planning on buying it from the eShop should know it requires you to have an external drive to download.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/14/downloading-lego-city-undercover-requires-external-hard-drive

Sorry if this has already been posted.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'm buying monhun digitally. Even if it's something I want to return later it'll be two years down the road with 500+ hours of play on the clock.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

So I usually just lurk in the thread but I thought with all the talk about the new Lego City game I figured people who were planning on buying it from the eShop should know it requires you to have an external drive to download.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/14/downloading-lego-city-undercover-requires-external-hard-drive

Sorry if this has already been posted.

I'm assuming this just a warning for Wii U basic owners, there's no way the game is 25+gigs or whatever the deluxe has available.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
According to That Guy That Leaks NPD Stuff On NeoGAF only 4 3rd party Wii U games have sold more than 100k units in the US, and 3 of them just crossed that barrier in February.

ZombiU, Sonic, Scribblenauts, and Just Dance 4.

In other news, I'm finally getting my Wii U once I pay off my credit card bill later this week. MonHan :toot:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

katkillad2 posted:

I'm assuming this just a warning for Wii U basic owners, there's no way the game is 25+gigs or whatever the deluxe has available.

Sonic All Star has a warning on the page that mentions that wiiU Basic owners will need an external drive. The Deluxe has a 32GB drive but even then it feel so small. I had an external enclosure and a retired 500GB drive lying around that I plugged into my wiiU which it then bitched about plugging in a harddrive while it was on but let me format the drive anyways in System and use it without rebooting.

Really it very well could be over 25GB some games are massive if you leave in video in every language (since you then need 12 copies of every video). I think there are some PS3 games that when dumped were over 60GB because the devs just didn't give a gently caress about space.

I think wiiU discs are 25GB per layer but I also don't see why you'd want more then 1 layer without good reason I'm sure the physical disc is more expensive to produce that large, and they can't think the digital copy will make the bulk of the sales. Or is digital that popular on the wiiU?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

The more I read about next week's game, the more excited I am for Need for Speed. The game looks dope, is supposed to run great on the hardware, and Burnout Paradise was the last great racing game I played, which was made by the same people.

I can't just can't decide if I'm gonna buy NfS for $60, or hit Target's deal and get Lego, NfS and Monster Hunter for $120. That's a lotta cash, but I'd be set on games for a long while, and I'd get to use my Wii U a ton. Plus: two of those have online multiplayer.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

pixaal posted:

Really it very well could be over 25GB some games are massive if you leave in video in every language (since you then need 12 copies of every video). I think there are some PS3 games that when dumped were over 60GB because the devs just didn't give a gently caress about space.

I think wiiU discs are 25GB per layer but I also don't see why you'd want more then 1 layer without good reason I'm sure the physical disc is more expensive to produce that large, and they can't think the digital copy will make the bulk of the sales. Or is digital that popular on the wiiU?

It could be over 25gb, but unless they were lazy about things that can be compressed I doubt it. Games that can fit on the Wii U basic's remaining hard drive space do not have a warning on the eshop. Games that go over that say "Hey if you have a basic, you need an external for this game." I would assume if a game goes over the deluxe available space you'd see a warning saying you need an external... I just can't imagine the first game that would require an external hard drive would be Lego City even though I guess it's possible :psyduck:

I'm more likely to believe IGN is making a big deal about nothing.

Speaking of disk space, I know you can't use an SD card to store games, but do you think something like this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-32GB-SDHC-Class-Reader/dp/B002MY6TQQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363058446&sr=8-2&keywords=p2+card+reader+32gb

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This is the wrongest thing.

All the microgames were just "tap the screen" and all things you could make were just "tap the screen at different times."

Most I ever saw was creepy anime bullshit and people making "shoot the gun from halo!" games.

Also when does the buy 2 get 1 free deal start at Target? Is it now? Friends birthday is this Saturday and he's itching to get a Wii-u

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

katkillad2 posted:

It could be over 25gb, but unless they were lazy about things that can be compressed I doubt it. Games that can fit on the Wii U basic's remaining hard drive space do not have a warning on the eshop. Games that go over that say "Hey if you have a basic, you need an external for this game." I would assume if a game goes over the deluxe available space you'd see a warning saying you need an external... I just can't imagine the first game that would require an external hard drive would be Lego City even though I guess it's possible :psyduck:

I'm more likely to believe IGN is making a big deal about nothing.

Speaking of disk space, I know you can't use an SD card to store games, but do you think something like this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-32GB-SDHC-Class-Reader/dp/B002MY6TQQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363058446&sr=8-2&keywords=p2+card+reader+32gb

Possibly but not recommended.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

All the microgames were just "tap the screen" and all things you could make were just "tap the screen at different times."

Most I ever saw was creepy anime bullshit and people making "shoot the gun from halo!" games.

You keep saying all these wrong things

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also when does the buy 2 get 1 free deal start at Target? Is it now? Friends birthday is this Saturday and he's itching to get a Wii-u

The dude posted about the sale in this thread, but didn't give a source. I think he said it starts on the 17th and goes through the week, or at least til Friday.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaj-GLW7pUs

Goons made it pretty fun early on.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, goon games were fun. This was my masterpiece. Social commentary at its finest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY6XsL0iX-Q

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Allowing the player to program microgames that supported dragging the stylus in different ways along the screen would have required a far more complex microgame creation system than their target demographic could reliably handle.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Allowing the player to program microgames that supported dragging the stylus in different ways along the screen would have required a far more complex microgame creation system than their target demographic could reliably handle.

While thats totally true, I really hope for a sequel that supports dragging. Just have standard game creation (tapping) and pro (tap and drag)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Looks better than half the things I came across. Still though just clicking at the right time a lot.

I didn't mean its a unplayable slog though; I just didn't really have much fun with it after playing Touched! and Smooth Moves! (I played the one on the GameCube way back when but don't remember much about it)

• Locked thread