Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

closeted republican posted:

Devolver Digital's been tweeting that they're releasing a new version of Duke Nukem 3D on Steam called "Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition". It's basically Duke 3D: Atomic Edition and all of the expansions, Duke it out in DC, Life's a Beach and Nuclear Winter, in one package. It'll use OpenGL and include Steam achievements. It's coming out later this month and will be on the PC and Mac.
The developers popped up on one of the Duke3D community forums with a little more info:

• It's based off of the old JFDuke3d source port, since it was simpler than eDuke32's. As a result, the source code will be released shortly after the game's launch.
  • No DRM. If you run it without Steam open, the game will still play fine, except Steamworks features like achievements won't function.
  • Mouse and keyboard support has been rewritten, gamepad support is in the works for proper Big Picture Mode fun.
  • Multiplayer will be a post-release addition since they want to Steamworks it up.
  • Steam Workshop support for usermaps is uncertain. They'll think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The Kins posted:

The developers popped up on one of the Duke3D community forums with a little more info:

• It's based off of the old JFDuke3d source port, since it was simpler than eDuke32's. As a result, the source code will be released shortly after the game's launch.
  • No DRM. If you run it without Steam open, the game will still play fine, except Steamworks features like achievements won't function.
  • Mouse and keyboard support has been rewritten, gamepad support is in the works for proper Big Picture Mode fun.
  • Multiplayer will be a post-release addition since they want to Steamworks it up.
  • Steam Workshop support for usermaps is uncertain. They'll think about it.

Well. Gosh. Looks like my GoG version will be put out to pasture.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Once the source code is released, the relevant changes may find their way to EDuke32. (Sans Steamworks stuff I imagine. I'm pretty sure Steam stuff remains closed source, so all there'll be in the released source will be stubs or conditional wrappers around the calls.)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm picking it up as soon as it pops on steam, and as Rather Dashing said, It'll make my GOG version obsolete. What I'm pleased to see is that they're releasing the source code, and using OpenGL, I wonder how long will take for someone to hack the looking up/down disortion like GZDoom.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

You can use eduke32 and have no problem with distortion right now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

There is still some disortion. Back in the days I just shrugged and kept playing but today is a thing that annoys me. Eduke32 is a good source port but I hate that they put so much effort on polymer and they never tried to make multiplayer actually work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Guillermus posted:

There is still some disortion. Back in the days I just shrugged and kept playing but today is a thing that annoys me. Eduke32 is a good source port but I hate that they put so much effort on polymer and they never tried to make multiplayer actually work.

Yeah I've never managed to get a decent multiplayer game going with any of the source ports - even on a LAN, they'd always lag and desync like crazy and were far worse than just running the game in DOSBox and turning on its IPX mode.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rather Dashing posted:

Well. Gosh. Looks like my GoG version will be put out to pasture.

I only just now started playing it! Good thing I got it during the free promo a couple months ago :haw:

Speaking of which: Who else here gets a flood of nostalgia whenever they have to open the old DOS setup programs? :allears:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
E: Whoops, thought this was the GOG thread, nevermind!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mak0rz posted:

Speaking of which: Who else here gets a flood of nostalgia whenever they have to open the old DOS setup programs? :allears:

Admittedly, a part of me does enjoy writing AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files. Probably the part of me that also enjoys punching myself in the groin repeatedly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My favorite part was learning how to do it myself by comparing what happened after each time I ran Memmaker so I wouldn't have to run Memmaker anymore.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's something that's kind of cool: A lot of the sprites in Duke 3D were done by creating detailed (by 90s CG standards) 3D models, rendering them out, and hand-tweaking them in Deluxe Paint. Apparently at least one CD release of the software used to create the models contains some nice renders of those models...

Protector Drone

Fat Commander

Octabrain (including the creepy LameDuke design!)

Cycloid Emperor (aka The Only Boss In The Game That You Remember)

Overlord (aka That Boss That You Do A Poo Inside)

Battlelord and Duke

That Other Build Game

This guy got cut from Shadow Warrior but he's so loving 90s CG that I need to include him!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Interesting to see how that all came about. I wonder if the original 3d models are still knocking around somewhere...

I still much prefer the look of Doom's actual hand-crafted models though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Despite the fact that they're based on increasingly complex models, there's definitely a peculiar "flatness" to some of the finalized sprites in DN3D and Shadow Warrior (moreso in Shadow Warrior) that, conversely, isn't really an issue in Doom. It's difficult to explain, but it's similar to the result when an author "converts" models from modern games, like CoD, into Doom sprites. The complexity of the model doesn't always translate well to a sprite. Personally, I feel like DN3D struck a nice balance between the two, giving a lot more detail without crossing the threshold into "flat 3D model" territory like a lot of 2.5D FPS games did.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So re: Brutal Doom -- In the latest test version, the chaingun sprite got swapped out with one they had been working on for a while. Not sure how I feel about it, overall, although having the animated belt of ammunition is pretty cool. They also scaled back the really aggressive recoil that v18 added, which I strangely enjoyed.

The ironsights for the rifle got replaced (again) with some weird sprite that makes it look like you're putting the buttstock against your sternum. Am I the only person who liked the v18 ironsights? They took up a lot of screenspace but they felt loving great :zaeed:
Where can one download this version? I've got 18a but the changes you listed aren't in it, and i can't find anything more current.

And what's with that green energy gun in 18a? When I fire it the weapon sprite freezes for a few moments, and then it fires, sometimes several times, like you could load i like the eightball cannon.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Copper Vein posted:

Where can one download this version? I've got 18a but the changes you listed aren't in it, and i can't find anything more current.

And what's with that green energy gun in 18a? When I fire it the weapon sprite freezes for a few moments, and then it fires, sometimes several times, like you could load i like the eightball cannon.

The author posted the test version on the ZDoom Projects Brutal Doom thread, but here is a direct download link for it. It's a good place to keep your eyes peeled for updates and "mods" like the Brutal Arsenal and janitor.

I think you're talking about the Skulltag/Zandronum BFG10K, which isn't really part of Brutal Doom, but can be accessed by using "idkfa" to cheat it into your inventory, like the railgun and the grenade launcher. The resources for those weapons are included with the last several Brutal Doom versions, however. Like the BFG9000, there's a delay between pulling the trigger and actually firing, so the multiple shots might be some sort of bugginess with pulling the trigger a bunch of times before it actually fires.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 11, 2013

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The author posted the test version on the ZDoom Projects Brutal Doom thread, but here is a direct download link for it. It's a good place to keep your eyes peeled for updates and "mods" like the Brutal Arsenal and janitor.
That link is dead. I found the 18b link in the official thread but it is dead too. Oh well.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Copper Vein posted:

That link is dead. I found the 18b link in the official thread but it is dead too. Oh well.

Here, I just repacked and uploaded the copy I have on this computer.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

I like the older, smaller rifle sights better. 18a's look nice but they take up so much of the screen; they also don't zoom from the gun to the sights as smoothly as the older sights, which was something I really liked. The 18b sights aren't much of an improvement on the old version, IMO. I wish he would design a better looking model as a whole and put a simple, clear post on it that will zoom in smoothly.

I didn't care for the new chaingun design either. Hopefully the mutators will expand to allow for exactly what iteration of the weapon sprites we each want since they are changing do often now.

I did think that the AK and M60 from Arsenal are very well done though. The belt needs to get shorter at the end, like in Powerslave, so you know when you are about to run out.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I still liked the old sprite that was ripped from NAM the best. The one with the little post protectors on it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Copper Vein posted:

I like the older, smaller rifle sights better. 18a's look nice but they take up so much of the screen; they also don't zoom from the gun to the sights as smoothly as the older sights, which was something I really liked. The 18b sights aren't much of an improvement on the old version, IMO. I wish he would design a better looking model as a whole and put a simple, clear post on it that will zoom in smoothly.

I didn't care for the new chaingun design either. Hopefully the mutators will expand to allow for exactly what iteration of the weapon sprites we each want since they are changing do often now.

I did think that the AK and M60 from Arsenal are very well done though. The belt needs to get shorter at the end, like in Powerslave, so you know when you are about to run out.

It's relatively easy to add/replace sprites between BD versions, especially if the changes were predominately cosmetic (you can run into problems if a weapon went through significant coding changes between versions). For example, because I enjoy the iron sights, I ended up replacing the 18b rifle sprites with the 18a versions, and it seriously took 30 seconds to pull the files and use them to overwrite the new ones. I suspect the minigun/chaingun could handle the same cosmetic changes. Mike (one of the guys who does artwork for BD) has been posting WIP pics of a chainsaw for months now, and I think it's ugly as sin. If he ever adds it to the mod, hopefully it will be as easy to replace it as the rifle.

If you're talking about the minigun from BD (and not Arsenal) I'm not a huge fan of it, either. The whole "UAC" box off to the left is sort of ugly and tacky, and the ports on the barrel make it look way too busy. I've actually considered going through and removing the ports.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARc1flxpZ44

:stare:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I...want to say it's an interesting concept. Because it kind of is.

But cars don't strafe! Or go up and down stairs! Or mouselook, either.
Even the finest Mercedes Benz handles clunky compared to normal Doom movement.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

ain't no Quake Rally that's fer sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZvaVgmIUrc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Not sure if this has been mentioned here before, but RPS have featured a rather spiffy looking editor for Quake 1 which seems to function somewhat like that there Portal 2 editor.

Amazing. I love PC gaming.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rather Dashing posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned here before

The RPS article, no, but the editor has, three and four pages ago:

Johnny Law posted:

A couple of folks were asking about Quake mapping back in January... if you're still hanging around there's a few tool releases you'll be interested in.

New level editor for Windows and OS X: http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60908

New compiler toolchain: http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60906

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody mentioned it a page ago, but it didn't really get much attention. This new Quake editor is really amazing; cross-platform and has lots of functionality, really easy to use:

http://kristianduske.com/trenchbroom/

Carmack himself just linked to it and now the page is getting hosed.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
So, here's a question for you folks. I'm looking to get some retro FPS action going on the go. Specifically, on my Android phone. Now, when I say "on the go", I'm using a fairly loose definition. I'm not just gonna have it in my hands all the time(though good touch controls would be nice), and can get KBAM or a gamepad hooked up fairly easily.

Thus, are there any good, clean solutions for some of the big games, particularly for Duke Nukem 3D? While I've played Doom, if not 2 and that humongous list of mods, I've hardly even seen DN3D in action. I've seen one official-looking port on the Play Store, but considering it has middling reviews, I was hoping there might be something better out there, even if I have to stuff in the actual game from a GOG purchase or something.

Anyone know of anything good? Or am I better off just sticking Doom on my phone and leaving DN3D to computers?(And if so, anyone have any opinions on the best Doom port, since I see like four or five just on the actual Play Store alone?)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Catacombs series is now on GOG. They're kind of weird!

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

The Kins posted:

The Catacombs series is now on GOG. They're kind of weird!

Watching a video of Catacomb 3D gameplay, I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to play this unless they feel intense nostalgia for it. Your hand seems to be the only weapon, with which you mash the fire key to spam fireballs with unlimited ammo, stunlocking all 3 different enemy types. It also seems to involve a lot of shooting at and grinding up against walls.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 14, 2013

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bloodmobile posted:

Watching a video of Catacomb 3D gameplay, I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to play this unless they feel intense nostalgia for it. Your hand seems to be the only weapon, with which you mash the fire key to spam fireballs with unlimited ammo, stunlocking all 3 different enemy types. It also seems to involve a lot of shooting at and grinding up against walls.

Bear in mind this came out before Wolfenstein 3D. In fact, I think only Hovertank preceded it in terms of proper FPS gaming.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Convex posted:

Bear in mind this came out before Wolfenstein 3D. In fact, I think only Hovertank preceded it in terms of proper FPS gaming.

Wasn't it basically made because John Carmack wanted to make a Ultima Underworld knock-off?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bloodmobile posted:

Wasn't it basically made because John Carmack wanted to make a Ultima Underworld knock-off?

I think it was Wolf3D and it was purely because he thought he could make a faster 3D engine than Ultima Underworld.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Bloodmobile posted:

It's a historical precursor to wolfenstein 3d. A museum piece. Sure, it isn't very compelling to play but it's interesting and should be available.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I had a lot of fun with the game back in the old days when it was new and original.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think it was Wolf3D and it was purely because he thought he could make a faster 3D engine than Ultima Underworld.
Meanwhile, the Ultima Underworld engine was more advanced in features than any FPS engine would be for over five years, which was an eternity back then given the leaps in technology being made. I play Underworld every couple of years and I'm always pretty impressed with what was possible.

Yes, Wolf 3D was faster, but Underworld had true 3D geometry and multi-floor buildings four years before Quake, and a full RPG environment to boot.

Catacomb Abyss is worth checking out, though, if only for its historical significance.

Thingstropolis
Apr 6, 2011
I had Abyss and Apocalypse when I was a kid. They weren't exactly amazing, but they were a nice alternative to Wolf3D if you had parents that were worried about game violence. I guess there was also Ken's Labyrinth but that game was kind of awful. Anyways, I did always really like the bits of flavor text that popped up constantly ("A mystic presence emanates from beyond this doorway!") and that time-stop power-up was pretty novel to me when I was 7 or so.

I'll probably pick this up on sale since I've always been curious about Catacombs 3D (the one that ID did).

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

LividLiquid posted:

Meanwhile, the Ultima Underworld engine was more advanced in features than any FPS engine would be for over five years, which was an eternity back then given the leaps in technology being made. I play Underworld every couple of years and I'm always pretty impressed with what was possible.

Yes, Wolf 3D was faster, but Underworld had true 3D geometry and multi-floor buildings four years before Quake, and a full RPG environment to boot.

Catacomb Abyss is worth checking out, though, if only for its historical significance.

Can you explain Ultima Underworld being true 3D to me? I don't think I fully understand all the 2.5D stuff. My understanding was that Ultima Underworld, like all of these games, was actually fake 3D, an optical illusion, hence the absolutely nauseating distortion you get when you select one of the up or down viewpoints and walk near a wall.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A 2.5D game is one which treats one dimension differently from the others. The elements of the map will be arranged in two dimensions and have the third assigned to them in a different manner, like how in Doom every vertex has only 2 coordinates and the height of the floor is a property of the sector. Whereas in a true 3D engine like Quake or Ultima the vertices are positioned in all three dimensions and there is no fundamental split between floors and walls; they're both simply consequences of where the surfaces defined by the vertices lie and the floor is only special in that gravity points toward it and the camera is aligned to keep it on the bottom of the screen.

Ultima's hosed up textures were most likely a result of taking shortcuts with the perspective calculation while rasterizing the view; the underlying geometry was still 3D.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

LividLiquid posted:

Ultima Underworld required a seriously expensive computer to run at any capacity at release. Wolfenstein/catacomb ran on a run of the mill 286 at a high frame rate, which is ultimately why those games were so influential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm finishing all episodes from Doom I, how does Doom II vanilla maps compare? I only had the shareware versions back when I was a kid. :smith: