Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Scuff? Time to streetfighter it out! May I offer some attractive headlight options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

ReelBigLizard posted:

:siren: Content! :siren:

Well, I've dropped the R1 after less than a week. low speed, pulling out of a car park with what turned out to be too much throttle. Total damage is a small scuff on the right fairing, the crash bung and a really small one on the exhaust. No damage on me to speak of, a tiny friction burn on my kneecap.

Riding the KTM for four years has given me some bad habits it seems. I pull out like this on the KTM all day and never get any more than a wiggle on the back. Hadn't anticipated how easily the R1 would just spin the rear like that. The road was a bit oily, and the tires have seen a track day and a couple of years, so those might be factors but at the end of the day I was entirely at fault putting too much throttle on.

That's why this forum always says to get a 250 :v:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Had my First Crash™ a few hours ago.

About a mile from my house, I went through a turn a little faster than usual. My tires were still cold, but I would've been fine had I not gone so quickly through it. Luckily for me, it was a no-frills lowside; I slid for maybe 20 feet, tumbled once, and then took the walk to shame to my bike, which managed to pop itself up on the median. The turn lane that I crashed right next to was full of gawkers, and people were hopping out and asking if I was all right before I even finished getting up. I bumped my shoulder and hosed up my nice Marmot windbreaker, but goddamn does leather do its job well. My pants had a little scuffing on the side, jacket has a half-dollar sized scuff, and one boot and one glove are kind of dirtied, but everything held up really well.

Luckily for me, there was a cop where that blue rectangle is, and he saw the whole thing. He cleared a space for me in traffic, made sure I was cool, and helped me right my bike. He even knew his poo poo about bikes, for he was talking about how good 250s are, and then told the other officers that showed up that I "washed out on cold tires and gravel." No report or anything else necessary, and he was on his way.

All in all, my shoulder will be a little sore, I'm out a windbreaker, and I need a new handlebar, footpeg, and blinker, but otherwise I'm all good. Slow the gently caress down and wear your gear people.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Glad you're alright, sounds like things went as well as they could have given the circumstance.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, no kidding. There wasn't even time for panic before I was down. One second I was turning, the next I had already slid and gotten up thinking "Welp, that was a crash."

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

AncientTV posted:

Yeah, no kidding. There wasn't even time for panic before I was down. One second I was turning, the next I had already slid and gotten up thinking "Welp, that was a crash."

Yeah it's kind of incredible. For me it was when I hit the ground, "I just ate poo poo", then up and out of the street.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Glad you're alright TV. I found it kind of funny when I went down that I was too busy watching my bike slide away thinking "gently caress this is going to be expensive to fix!" to worry about myself!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Thanks, and same here. When my bike stopped, I saw that It was leaking gas and immediately tried to go pick it up, and at least 4 people were telling me to just leave it. All I could think was that the gas tank's paintjob was already hosed up enough :v:
I can see where the post-crash adrenaline can mess with you though, I don't think I would've noticed had I seriously injured my shoulder or something. It hardly hurt then, but I can barely lift it today.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

AncientTV posted:

Thanks, and same here. When my bike stopped, I saw that It was leaking gas and immediately tried to go pick it up, and at least 4 people were telling me to just leave it. All I could think was that the gas tank's paintjob was already hosed up enough :v:
I can see where the post-crash adrenaline can mess with you though, I don't think I would've noticed had I seriously injured my shoulder or something. It hardly hurt then, but I can barely lift it today.

Oh yeah, this. I came into a gas station and some people were cutting a stoplight through it and nearly hit me. I locked the back by touching the brake on oily gas station concrete and the thing dumped. I didn't have to lay it down, I just did something stupid and hit the brake.

So here's my bike, on its side, still running, and I can see gas POURING out of the carbs. I jam the kill switch and then lift the thing up. Not in the calm way with the lift-with-your legs thing. No, just heave the bitch up. Five hundred wet pounds up and over. I'd just dumped off the side onto my rear end and I could have landed on an angle, hip, back, shoulder. I wouldn't have known, I had to stop this motor from having ignition near gasoline, and get it upright NOW NOW NOW.

I hurt the next day. All muscle. Gear does its job at 2mph, and adrenalin does its job at preventing you from noticing when you're overdoing it. Ibuprofen then got to do its job, and my parts store got to do its job of ordering two shift levers and a brake lever (so I have spares).

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
I've pretty much sorted everything on my bike now though I decided not to replace my scraped up brake lever.

I'm using it a gentle reminder of what happens when I stop treating it with respect.

Malcontent
Dec 26, 2004
Herb is the healing of a nation. Alchohal is the destruction.
I managed to do this:

Had just finished working on it and all we can guess is we managed to gently caress up the throttle cable/get it smashed in such a way under the gas tank that when I went to head out it went from 10% to full open, zero to who knows what on cold tires, front end rips to the left and next thing I know I'm flying through the air and can hear the bike sliding across the ground still smacking the rev limiter for all it's worth. Bike while not totaled wasn't something I wanted to mess with, main damage is a eaten pulser cover, hosed plastics and bent break lever/right clip on/etc. Also somehow managed to rip the steering stabilizer out of the frame. Oh and it had no oil since that all drained after destroying the cover. I luckily got out without much more than some nasty bruising/swelling on my right shoulder/elbow and left knee also tweaked my left wrist a bit. After all that I still managed to sell it off for about half of what I originally paid for it. Of course all of my gear had to be replaced except for the boots.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I smell a ratbike.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Muffler made with Wonder Woman jet technology.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
Goddamit, day one of bike ownership and I've already hosed it up. So pissed at myself.

I didn't even make it a mile from the house. I was making an easy left hander out of my neighborhood onto a main roadway. Traffic was clear, so I pulled away from the stop. For whatever reason, I wasn't turning enough and I saw I wasn't making the turn. I panicked and focused on the approaching curb instead of making the turn. Popped into the curb at maybe 15 mph, the bike flipped me off and we both landed on the sidewalk (thankfully out of traffic). After much swearing I righted the bike and gave it a look over. Nothing leaking, no major components bent or broken. Fired it back up and drove off. I drove around for about 20 minutes before I went back home.

Final damages: broken windshield and bent mounts, bent and scratched right side signals, scratched up the previously pristine front fender, small dent in the tank, small crack in the headlight, missing one signal visor, mangled headlight visor.

I was wearing a Tourmaster jacket, some gloves, a full helmet and jeans. There's a scuff on the helmet visor, my ribs on my right side and my left shoulder are sore, and there's a small scuff on my right knee even though the jeans didn't tear. I'll be purchasing some overpants shortly.

Pretty sure I did everything I wasn't supposed to. Didn't look where I was turning, fixated on one spot. So angry at myself. I drove the bike 18 miles to the house last night with no incident.

I'll probably go back out tomorrow after work. What should I have done different?

Edit: fixed pic, I hope

vwman18 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 15, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Put an "l" at the end of your image name (hQuy.jpg to hQuyl.jpg, example).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Put an "l" at the end of your image name (hQuy.jpg to hQuyl.jpg, example).

f;b

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

vwman18 posted:

What should I have done different?

Started on a bike that's smaller than a car and cheap to drop.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Have you taken the MSF course?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Have you taken the MSF course?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

At least read the guy's post history -- he has. He did it on a much smaller bike, though, so given that this crash happened as the results of a low-speed turning problem I would guess he wasn't used to the size and weight of the bike.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah he did. Very new tho iirc from a earlier post.

vwman, not much to tell you cause you know what happened really. Just know early on that the bike will always turn more, until you start scraping hard parts. Aside from that, when I have a "oh poo poo" moment like you did as you realized you weren't going to make the turn (tho you probably were, or were with a bit more lean, but that's another topic...), I try to direct my vision on the horizon and then take in all the hazards that are going on, whether it's a turn I'm about to blow, debris on the road, a turkey taking flight across the road, or whatever. By just directing and focusing my sight path at some obscure section of the horizon in the middle of my field of view I don't have to worry about target fixating, but I'm still able to see the other stuff out of the corner of my eye. Try practicing that next time you go out.

Sagebrush posted:

At least read the guy's post history -- he has. He did it on a much smaller bike, though, so given that this crash happened as the results of a low-speed turning problem I would guess he wasn't used to the size and weight of the bike.

You need to read more too braj :p, it wasn't really the slow speed you're talking about but a classic target fixation from what I read. IMO the bike size isn't ideal for a new rider but honestly as far as American standards go it's not that bad. Easy power and not obscene weight.

edit: also vwman, don't be afraid to hold the throttle steady and really slip the clutch when turning in those kind of situations. A lot of bikes can be twitchy and unsettling on the throttle and slow speed, and that can push you wide. Keeping the clutch in the friction zone helps you be smooth thru those. In general I'm constantly slipping the clutch when accelerating up to around 30 or 35, but almost always have it fully engaged when accelerating after that. (On a FZ6, 600 cc standard)

I'd also suggest hitting up a parking lot for some of those MSF drills you did, but on your bike. That, and I've also found cemeteries to be good for new riders, since they tend to be deserted but have some turns and elevation in them. At least in this area.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 15, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It sounds to me like he found himself in that speed range just above parking-lot between normal steering and countersteering. Giving it more gas through the turn may have helped.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Snowdens Secret posted:

It sounds to me like he found himself in that speed range just above parking-lot between normal steering and countersteering. Giving it more gas through the turn may have helped.

That's true. I deal with that problem by accelerating straight quickly and then counter steering it over and bypassing the normal steering section. I don't know if that would translate to a cruiser tho, no experience.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

You need to read more too braj :p, it wasn't really the slow speed you're talking about but a classic target fixation from what I read.

That's what I read too, but he said that it started with this:

quote:

For whatever reason, I wasn't turning enough and I saw I wasn't making the turn. I panicked and focused on the approaching curb instead of making the turn.

"Whatever reason" sounds like general unfamiliarity with low-speed handling, something that I'm assuming is easier on a smaller, lighter bike like the one he used at the MSF.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
yeah you're right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sweet

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Glad we cleared that up, I'm sure he'll benefit from your anal y sis.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
So basically get more experience on a beginner friendly bike before you buy something new and big and heavy and expensive.

May I be so bold as to suggest a used Ninja 250

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

Glad we cleared that up, I'm sure he'll benefit from your anal y sis.

I'm not your sis, bro t:mad:t

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
A used bike, that weighs 550ish pounds, has 40 hp, that he got for $2200 (iirc) isn't a bad bike to start out on. He target fixated and hit the curb. It's a newbie mistake that everyone makes when they first start riding. See something in a corner OHSHIT! Most of us don't end up hitting the curb but some do. Practice in a parking lot, and just know that you're going to do these little things a lot when you're learning. All part of learning to ride.

Also this:

nsaP posted:

Just know early on that the bike will always turn more, until you start scraping hard parts.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Truthfully that point between steering and countersteering loving sucks if you have no experience with it. I put maybe 800 miles a month on my bike and it's still pretty awkward. :kiddo:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Vstar 650s are pretty small bikes and pretty universally considered to be beginner bikes. Brotha' just made a mistake - poo poo happens.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
The good news is that you got your first crash out of the way. The shame will prevent you from dropping it again.

I bought a brand new bike right after I got my license, and I dropped it on the third day from just general stupidity. Dropping a ten thousand dollar piece of machinery isn't a mistake you make twice.

Either way, glad it was something minor and that your blood stayed on the inside.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I literally didn't make it out of the dealer parking lot

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
I got my lace stuck on my shifter and fell over since I'd never tried putting my right foot down infront of my house.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I had my first bike 45 seconds before I rode it straight into a fence... I was 5 though and it was just a 50.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I dropped mine in a low speed turn on my second mile of riding it.

Point is, beginners drop bikes. It's normal. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Not all beginners go "oh noooooooooo" and then hit the curb at ten MPH, but I've seen it done before

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah like this guy http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2012-08-10/motorcycle-crash-burns-several-vehicles-dealership#.UUNulRxJP4s

EDIT: or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQIpxtTUY00

Angryboot fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

On literally my first ride after getting the bike put together, maybe 90 seconds in, I completely forgot all the MSF taught me about clutch control and accelerated out of a u-turn way too fast, jumped the curb, and skidded out and fell over in a gravel parking lot.

• Locked thread