Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Vafthrudnir posted:

The art is kinda wonky, but you get over it pretty quickly after you actually start to play the game.

Considering you spend the whole game looking at the cards, I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
A lot of the art on the cards seems better than the art on the box and stuff to me, for some reason. It's still all fairly low-level art school stuff, though.

If you're holding out for better art, I wouldn't hold my breath on them changing the art style ever. The guy that does all the art is one of the three co-founders of the company, and they are all best friends. :(

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bought Race for the Galaxy tonight and while I haven't even played yet I feel like it's the best decision I have made in a while regardless.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Bought Race for the Galaxy tonight and while I haven't even played yet I feel like it's the best decision I have made in a while regardless.

Yeah, it's pretty drat awesome. It's probably my current favorite card game. I enjoy playing Netrunner more but being able to play Race with 2-4 players with very little learning curve is a huge selling point.

Now I just need to get that first expansion that adds the goals; another member of my gaming group owns it and it seems to make the game a lot more fun and balanced.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

So when does Upper Deck or Cryptozoic re-do Sentinels with Marvel or DC, better art, better iconography, keywords, components, etc.?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Soma Soma Soma posted:

Yeah, it's pretty drat awesome. It's probably my current favorite card game. I enjoy playing Netrunner more but being able to play Race with 2-4 players with very little learning curve is a huge selling point.

Now I just need to get that first expansion that adds the goals; another member of my gaming group owns it and it seems to make the game a lot more fun and balanced.

I have mixed feelings. Mainly because I suck at managing the goals. My friends are more experienced and I often win at the base game with an efficient engine going (that economy card that nets you 3vp for 3 different goods is amazing) but when they bring out the goals I tank hard.

Race is a fun game and I don't really like card games. Take that for what it's worth.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Alright, I'm looking for opinions on Merchants and Marauders. I've been thinking of picking it up for a while now but I thought I'd check in with the hivemind first. Also, I have the worst friends. We all enjoy boardgames but I've only been able to get them to play Space Alert once. I don't regret the purchase but seems like a shame.

On an unrelated note, I very strongly recommend anyone who likes co-op games pick up Flashpoint. Our group played a fair amount of Pandemic until we got to the point where we'd really only lose if we stacked the deck insanely heavily against ourselves. Flashpoint scratches the same itch, only with more variance, better theme and frankly more fun. Plus you get to have fun speculating what caused that fire to start in the bathroom* and then watching the building burn down with half the firefighters still inside.

*The answer is always meth lab.

Lemony fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 15, 2013

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Soma Soma Soma posted:

I enjoy playing Netrunner more but being able to play Race with 2-4 players with very little learning curve is a huge selling point.

I'll spare my usual "I hate Race" rant, although BS I think did one way up in this thread that works pretty well, but I don't know anybody who thinks Race has a small learning curve. Even if you understand the mechanics, which are medium weight at best, it has a huuuuge learning curve, not just in its iconography, but in the fact that you pretty much need to know what the cards in the deck are capable of. And if you want to play efficiently, you would need to know by sight/name what the cards that your opponents have. The interaction between the cards is way huge, making a decision like "What should I discard" really hard for new players, even worse than something like Innovation, which has a comparable amount of unique cards with different special abilities, since you can at least that has some sort of thematic link with what the cards do.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Soma Soma Soma posted:

Get the first expansion, it does nothing but make the game better. Mainly, it more cards to fix the game balance a little bit. It also adds more start worlds so you can deal out one military and one civilian and you can choose that when picking your 4 cards. The goals don't really make the game better or worse (I prefer to play without them, but don't mind using them), but adds another way to play. While we are at it, the second one is pretty good as well. Don't bother with the third unless you've played the game 100s of times already.

RftG, Innvation and Glory to Rome are all awesome and dirt cheep card games that everyone should learn.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 15, 2013

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees

GrandpaPants posted:

I'll spare my usual "I hate Race" rant, although BS I think did one way up in this thread that works pretty well, but I don't know anybody who thinks Race has a small learning curve. Even if you understand the mechanics, which are medium weight at best, it has a huuuuge learning curve, not just in its iconography, but in the fact that you pretty much need to know what the cards in the deck are capable of. And if you want to play efficiently, you would need to know by sight/name what the cards that your opponents have. The interaction between the cards is way huge, making a decision like "What should I discard" really hard for new players, even worse than something like Innovation, which has a comparable amount of unique cards with different special abilities, since you can at least that has some sort of thematic link with what the cards do.

It certainly isn't as easy as a game like Citadels or 7 Wonders, but I honestly don't think it's all that difficult of a game to pick up and teach. Almost all of the symbols make sense (Green card, arrow, 2 cards? Trade a green for two) once you teach the basic iconography, aside from some of the end game "guild" cards. Maybe I'm just used to more advanced board and card games because I quickly picked up Race after one game. Out of the five people that I normally game with only one person thought the game was complex and had to spend more time learning how to play.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Lemony posted:

On an unrelated note, I very strongly recommend anyone who looks co-op games pick up Flashpoint. Our group played a fair amount of Pandemic until we got to the point where we'd really only lose if we stacked the deck insanely heavily against ourselves. Flashpoint scratches the same itch, only with more variance, better theme and frankly more fun. Plus you get to have fun speculating what caused that fire to start in the bathroom* and then watching the building burn down with half the firefighters still inside.

I second this completely. My group plays with the arsonist scenario where every time you flip a POI, and it isn't a victim, it's hazardous materials. It's hard as balls.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'll share in the general Sentinels of the Multiverse love (I Kickstarted the third expansion and plumped for one of the all-in-except-for-playmat rewards and don't regret a thing except not getting the next expansion as an addon). Every deck is thematic and mechanically interesting and unique and they mix with each other in beautiful ways. It works solo. It works multiplayer. It can be fast or a savage, prolonged struggle depending on what decks you choose to use and what you're looking for that time around. And it's really quite surprising how radical an impact swapping in one of the promotional cards can have on play. Just one card, no deck changes at all. But for the hero promos, it changes the baseline, always available power for that hero, which has some surprisingly significant effects on strategy, and the two villain promos that currently exist make radical changes to their entire mechanic. (Baron Blade, for example, becomes a "mad bomber" who turns cards he draws into increasingly violent explosions, instead of cycling minions and gizmos to accelerate a game-ending time limit.)

Oh, and at the moment the Enhanced Edition box will fit every single card made for the game - promos, addon decks from the Kickstarter projects, all three expansions, and the base game, with dividers for each. Admittedly, it's cramped enough that you might have trouble getting stuff back -out- (but if you're short even one of the addon decks, you should be fine on that count), and the tokens and rulebooks (and the oversized villain cards I received) don't fit. But it's nice anyway.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 15, 2013

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Lemony posted:

Alright, I'm looking for opinions on Merchants and Marauders. I've been thinking of picking it up for a while now but I thought I'd check in with the hivemind first. Also, I have the worst friends. We all enjoy boardgames but I've only been able to get them to play Space Alert once. I don't regret the purchase but seems like a shame.

Merchants and Marauders is fun though it can be pretty long. When I've played it, it usually ran two and a half to three hours. However, I love how you can either be a merchant or pirate in the game and still have a good chance at winning though I've found that most people who went merchant at the beginning tend to go pirate by around mid-game since the game does encourage aggression between players. The only negative I can think of is if you're adverse to battles being determined by dice rolls.

Other than that, I say check it out, play it before you buy it if possible.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Just played Space Cadets for the first time with three people on easy difficulty.

We just BARELY scraped by and won at the last minute by making a mad dash to the final crystal, getting really lucky with some lockbreaks and then failed relock rolls, and just barely succeeding on the final jump. Granted, we took way longer than we were supposed to because we kept chatting and checking the rules, but overall it was a really fun game. It pretty elegantly solves the quarterbacking problem in most co-op games too, I think.

Huge fan, we'll definitely be bringing it out to the table more.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Just picked up Rise of the Ancients for Eclipse. Any pointers on the best way to integrate it with the base game?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As someone who enjoys Race a decent bit, it is kind of a pain to teach, and it took me a few games of playing the AI program to get my head around it. There's a lot of iconography to go through, though once you learn it it's pretty intuitive. At least the game gives cheat sheets that explain everything, but it'll still take a couple games usually before people really pick it up.

As for Merchants and Marauders, it's definitely a long game, but there's plenty to do even if you're a merchant, such as trying to complete missions and rumors. Being a pirate will get you money and points faster, but it also puts you at risk against NPC's who may hunt you down. You can always start as a merchant and decide three-fourths of the way through to take up piracy, though removing bounties is a lot more difficult without dying. It's a fun game that rewards both aggressive players and pacificsts, and the theme is well-implemented, but it's one that will take a nice chunk of time to play.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So Cool Mini Or Not has another game on the horizon, but this time there's a respected designer at the helm: Eric Lang of Chaos in the Old World, A Game of Thrones LCG, and Stars Wars LCG, among others. Their aesthetic sorta remains terrible, but it looks to be a Blood Bowl game that seems to be heavy on drafting cards to do...something. There's a first look thing at BGG. I don't imagine it being cheap, since it'll have a magnetic player board because...?

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

So Cool Mini Or Not has another game on the horizon, but this time there's a respected designer at the helm: Eric Lang of Chaos in the Old World, A Game of Thrones LCG, and Stars Wars LCG, among others. Their aesthetic sorta remains terrible, but it looks to be a Blood Bowl game that seems to be heavy on drafting cards to do...something. There's a first look thing at BGG. I don't imagine it being cheap, since it'll have a magnetic player board because...?

It sounds like it'll be $89.99 or higher and probably starting on Kickstarter. There seems to be a fairly successful trend lately of "high concept big box games" (quote from Lang) games that typically come out on KS and have MSRPs of around $100. I wonder if some folks from the Board Game Design Thread are thinking of hopping on this trend? In any case, unnecessary stuff like magnetic boards to track scoring and drive up prices bug the hell out of me.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lemony posted:

Alright, I'm looking for opinions on Merchants and Marauders. I've been thinking of picking it up for a while now but I thought I'd check in with the hivemind first.

M&M is a really fun game, try and play it with easy going people though. Tensions run high in the game because you can really gently caress over your opponents. The theme and production are top notch.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

medchem posted:

It sounds like it'll be $89.99 or higher and probably starting on Kickstarter. There seems to be a fairly successful trend lately of "high concept big box games" (quote from Lang) games that typically come out on KS and have MSRPs of around $100. I wonder if some folks from the Board Game Design Thread are thinking of hopping on this trend? In any case, unnecessary stuff like magnetic boards to track scoring and drive up prices bug the hell out of me.

Well, the good thing about CMON Kickstarters is that even if the game blows rear end, they go for a LOT on the secondary market if you get all the swag. But I have a lot of confidence in Eric Lang, since he has a good designer's eye for balancing lots of different powers with solid interaction and surprising game balance.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Lemony posted:

On an unrelated note, I very strongly recommend anyone who likes co-op games pick up Flashpoint. Our group played a fair amount of Pandemic until we got to the point where we'd really only lose if we stacked the deck insanely heavily against ourselves. Flashpoint scratches the same itch, only with more variance, better theme and frankly more fun. Plus you get to have fun speculating what caused that fire to start in the bathroom* and then watching the building burn down with half the firefighters still inside.

I got this last week, along with Formula D, based on thread recommendations. I was surprised how good the components looked, and that there were simple and advanced rulesets. I'm hoping to get it on the table this weekend, so hearing comments like this are encouraging.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

medchem posted:

In any case, unnecessary stuff like magnetic boards to track scoring and drive up prices bug the hell out of me.

I think little enhancements like that are okay if the game itself is worth it and has a decent amount of longevity. Look at how many people pimp out their copies of Agricola or other games with serious staying power. If a game is going to hit the table often, then it's fun to have really nice components to play with.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

jmzero posted:

On the flip side, the rest of the theme stuff is well done and strikes a really good tone. It isn't serious or dark, but it also doesn't have the explicit campiness of, say, Freedom Force - and the characters' "references" are often clear but not exact or overplayed. This is very much a taste thing, but I like how they've handled the setting in general, and the characters in particular, so much so that it has dulled my ill-will for the art.

Darn right it is. You just talked that ugly-rear end game out of a sale.

Also, to persons discussing DeviantArt rear end-ugly games, may I recommend BattleCon: Duel of Indines?

Also again, Merchants & Marauders is quite fabulous. One feature I enjoy is the feeling like I can gently caress around trading goods and running quests when dealing with friends who dislike cut-throat interactive games, and let the seas run red with the blood of my plastic enemies when dealing with friends who like it head-on. It's pretty fun either way, and the NPCs give you good targets to sate bloodlust when you don't want to hurt feelings by nuking your fellow player.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 15, 2013

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Had the chance to bring my brand new copy of Libertalia to the table last Wednesday, and it immediately secured its place in my top five board games of all time. In the game, you'll be playing as one of the retiring pirate crews trying to secure as much booty as you can for your golden days in your last three weeks of piracy. The mechanics are dead simple since basically the only two things you can do are choosing a character card to play and possibly which type of booty tile you'll be picking, but this simple frame leads to hundreds of difficult choices when you're trying to deduce which cards other players still have in their hand, when they will play them and what booty are they aiming for et cetera. I can't recommend the game enough, because it strikes the perfect balance between something that's fast to play and elegantly designed with almost no randomness at all. Actually, the only case of output randomness in the game is probably the Spanish Spy character who lets you pick as many random booty tiles from the booty bag as you have captured Spanish officers. But then you can just laugh at the player who pulls out three curse tokens from the black bag.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 15, 2013

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

But I have a lot of confidence in Eric Lang, since he has a good designer's eye for balancing lots of different powers with solid interaction and surprising game balance.

Hey man, he made Quarriors, the game everyone hates.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Didn't he make Thunderstone too? Thunderstone is rear end in a box

e: Nevermind. That was the other dude who worked on Quarriors.

ricro fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 15, 2013

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Kiranamos posted:

Does everyone really hate this game? I think its alright. It works especially well to teach people deckbuilding concepts. I think its easier to teach and explain to people than Dominion, though it is far more random.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Kiranamos posted:

One of my friends I play board games with recently bought it and I played it with him last Saturday. If people hate games with a high random element to it (thanks to dice-rolling) I can see it getting huge hate, but my friends really liked it and I thought it was pretty fun myself.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So do I need more than one Race for the Galaxy expansion to make the game playable with 6 players? One expansion makes the game playable from 1-5 players and the other says 1-6 players. I'm also worried about getting the 1-6 expansion and missing something necessary from the previous expansion.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

I can see it getting huge hate, but my friends really liked it and I thought it was pretty fun myself.

It seemed fun to me too. Provided you need the expansion to fix the 'wait until you get the biggest creature then gg' effect but other than that it's a decent light game. Same with Thunderstone(again need expansions) The randomness can be controlled through choices.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So do I need more than one Race for the Galaxy expansion to make the game playable with 6 players? One expansion makes the game playable from 1-5 players and the other says 1-6 players. I'm also worried about getting the 1-6 expansion and missing something necessary from the previous expansion.

If I recall, expansion 1 adds on one set of role cards, and expansion 2 adds another set. Expansion 2 I think requires expansion 1.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Eric Lang is listed as the designer of all FFG LCGs except Android: Netrunner. I liked A Game of Thrones: The Card Game and have high hopes for Star Wars: The Card Game, BUT I'm not a fan of Warhammer: Invasion nor Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game. So I'd warn about getting too excited too early.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Buckwheat Sings posted:

It seemed fun to me too. Provided you need the expansion to fix the 'wait until you get the biggest creature then gg' effect but other than that it's a decent light game. Same with Thunderstone(again need expansions) The randomness can be controlled through choices.

Playing with the 'advanced' buying rules makes your choices matter a lot more. Spells are really viable like this and there's a lot of really good creatures in the 2-4 cost range. You can still buy the big rear end in a top hat ones, but getting more cheap creatures lets you cull more and have more on the table. I don't like the expert scoring, where you have to cull what you scored with. It just drags games on and only encourages buying expensive poo poo because more cheap creatures clog your deck and you can never ditch your assistants or cull basic quiddity.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Does anyone know if the Galaxy Trucker: Czech Games Anniversary Box Edition include this: Galaxy Trucker: Another Big Expansion Bonus (Czech Games)

quote:

This limited expansion consist of 5 new bonus cards for Galaxy Trucker: Another Big Expansion.

These cards are:

Sucharge / Discount
Drain / Source
Disgrace / Glory
Weakness / Strength
Slow Start / Head Start

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

echoMateria posted:

Does anyone know if the Galaxy Trucker: Czech Games Anniversary Box Edition include this: Galaxy Trucker: Another Big Expansion Bonus (Czech Games)

I believe it should, it's a bonus with the anniversary edition. Where are you finding it available for sale?

FTJ
Mar 1, 2003

BTB's Monty Python pro-star!

echoMateria posted:

It does. It includes literally everything.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
So what games are people looking forward to? I was going through CoolStuffInc's preorder page and looking up stuff that caught my eye. Terra Mystica seems to be the best of what I've looked at so far. Seems to have garnered a pretty high score on BGG already. I also looked at Dungeon Venture, Gearworld, and Kings of Air and Steam.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Spincut posted:

So what games are people looking forward to? I was going through CoolStuffInc's preorder page and looking up stuff that caught my eye.

I'm intrigued by Terra Mystica as well, but I have noticed a drift away from Euros for me. I just hear a lot of praise for it, but after reading the rules I have nothing to compare it to. Like I literally have no idea what other game it is similar to, except for some reason I have a vague Power Grid feeling from it? At this point, it's hard for me to justify picking up a new game as opposed to just expanding the games I already own and enjoy, like the new 7 Wonders Wonder Pack, Summoner Wars' Second Summoners, The Manhattan Project's Second Stage expansion, and Seasons' Enchanted Kingdom expansion.

And of course Netrunner. Ever Netrunner.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm intrigued by Terra Mystica as well, but I have noticed a drift away from Euros for me. I just hear a lot of praise for it, but after reading the rules I have nothing to compare it to. Like I literally have no idea what other game it is similar to, except for some reason I have a vague Power Grid feeling from it? At this point, it's hard for me to justify picking up a new game as opposed to just expanding the games I already own and enjoy, like the new 7 Wonders Wonder Pack, Summoner Wars' Second Summoners, The Manhattan Project's Second Stage expansion, and Seasons' Enchanted Kingdom expansion.

And of course Netrunner. Ever Netrunner.

I watched a walkthrough video of it on BGG (this one, if you're curious), and I think the best way I can describe it is a melding of Small World and Civilization. You're vying for territory in a very Small World way (though non-violently), but the way you build structures and create towns feels very reminiscent of Civ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So I played some Blood Bowl: Sudden Death. Only one game, but holy hell the Undead seem pretty insane. :stare:

Mummy is absolutely DEVASTATING when it's played against. Two tackles at 4 star power... he's pretty much a star player. Ghouls are also pretty sick - they get Sprint, Pass, and have Dodge when they posses the ball with 3 star power. drat.

I was playing the Dark Elves and they are neat... but I was severely overpowered in all respects. At best, I only won 1 match-up a round. I could have played them totally wrong, but they seem to rely a lot on luck. You really need cheat tokens to help you take it over the top. They are also not all that great at getting the ball unless they got knocked down, so yeah.... great. The upgrade I got (Dark Sorceress) did jack and poo poo. I lost by 10 fans, but honestly it felt way more lopsided than that.

So at the very least, they did a very good job of capturing how tough the Dark Elves are to play from the original.

I played a game as undead last night. I dunno, on paper they seem absurdly strong, but most of their team upgrades are triggered by regeneration, and the way the game played out, I got to use them exactly 0 times. Mummy aside, they're also kinda handicapped in the tackling department. Before playing I was sure that the new races were unbalanced, but now I'm not so sure (not least because the Skaven player, in a 4 player game with 3 new races, ended up winning by a large margin).

• Locked thread