Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Huh. Someone wants to make low intelligence give unique dialogue as a new stretch goal.

quote:

Pants-On-Head, Drown-In-The-Rain, 2 + 2 = Kumquat Mode

Planescape Torment is known for its involved dialogue system, nuanced characterization, and demanding its players attention. This new Torment is meant to continue that tradition, with some of the most talented writers in gaming.

Naturally, I want to see them to apply their collective intelligence to writing one of the dumbest characters in gaming. A low intelligence version of the game ala Fallout, with a PC so dumb it's a wonder he can tie his own shoes.

I want the villain to self-immolate because explaining the philosophical concepts behind hunting him to this nudnik is so frustrating, suicide is a more palatable option. I want to laugh until I'm crying, with every goofy, too stupid to live response you can think of on the table. You want to subvert the tropes PS:T helped establish? All I'm asking for a stretch goal is an opportunity to explore this one question...

What does one idiot matter?

https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/192241-stretch-goals/suggestions/3745276-pants-on-head-drown-in-the-rain-2-2-kumquat-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

I'm behind this a lot more than beards and staches really

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I'm not a fan of low intelligence dialogue. I tried out low intelligence characters in Fallout and Arcanum, and I found the dialogue options to be really cartoonish and somewhat mean-spirited. In most cases the characters would give a special reaction to your introduction and the rest of the conversation would proceed as normal with the low intelligence dialogue options resulting in the same reaction as the regular ones. It reminded me of the false choice dialogue in Bioware RPGs where you get 3 different dialogue options that all result in the same line from the NPC, and that gives the impression that what I say doesn't really matter and shatters the immersion. I think that rewriting most of the dialogue to give all the NPCs unique responses to your character is a waste of resources, and if you're not going to do that then playing a low intelligence character would be a bit pointless.

Dec 26, 2012

I remember starting a low intelligence run in fallout 2 and getting bored because the majority of NPCs would either give you the equivalent of a pat on the head and disregard you or actively exploit you, and you couldn't do many quests because of it. I mean it's not that it can't be done entertainingly but I've never seen it, personally.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't think that I've ever completed a low int run in any game, however it's still a better idea than wasting time implementing a hundred different beards.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

I don't think they will spend any considerable effort modeling beards.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Low intelligence is a fun gimmick and it's cool that people made the effort to put it in there in the past, but I would rather have them spend that effort on practically anything else that's more relevant to the core experience.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think if torment is gonna have a dumb parody mode there is better dumb parody mods than low int.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Schurik posted:

Go here and vote for more reactivity, you're welcome.

Why, yes, I do want that as a player home :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

lordfrikk posted:

Oh my.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Chang Yuan's art is just absolutely spectacular.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope the manage your own fortress idea gets into the game. Having your own stronghold is never a bad thing and being able to manage it makes it even better. I love that stuff.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Jimbot posted:

I hope the manage your own fortress idea gets into the game. Having your own stronghold is never a bad thing and being able to manage it makes it even better. I love that stuff.

I think this comes down to a matter of taste. For me one of the least enjoyable parts in Baldur's Gate 2 was having to manage my stronghold and deal with their nonsense. "Oh yeah, sure. I'll stop my quest to destroying this power-mad wizard from ascending in to godhood so I can deal with your stupid, trivial and moronic problems. No worries!"

To me this just adds an unnecessary fuss onto the game. If I want shape and micromanage a stronghold I'll just play Dwarf Fortress.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Thrill Cosby posted:

Will you wear the beards of the eight great civilizations or will you shave them to further your own goals?

What does one hair matter?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I wouldn't want a low INT run either. One of the biggest flaws of P:T was that if you didn't have a high INT and WIS build you pretty much screwed yourself out of a good chunk of the plot and interactions with characters. I'm hoping Numenera avoids all that.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Jenx posted:

I think this comes down to a matter of taste. For me one of the least enjoyable parts in Baldur's Gate 2 was having to manage my stronghold and deal with their nonsense. "Oh yeah, sure. I'll stop my quest to destroying this power-mad wizard from ascending in to godhood so I can deal with your stupid, trivial and moronic problems. No worries!"

To me this just adds an unnecessary fuss onto the game. If I want shape and micromanage a stronghold I'll just play Dwarf Fortress.

From how I read it the fortress seemed more like a fleshed out way to display records with some cool additional stuff added in. Like being able to look at all the monsters/npcs you've fought or met and maybe converse with some of them. Or a better way to see what tide you're leaning towards.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It should just be like the airship from FF6.

edit: I win!

Cicero fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 14, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

lordfrikk posted:

Huh. I guess that if they went to the lengths to make concept art for it, an airship stretch goal is pretty much confirmed. I can get behind this. Go full Final Fantasy VI, the Changing God can be Kefka.

Edit: You beat me to it, Cicero!

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Cicero posted:

It should just be like the airship from FF6.

edit: I win!

I was afraid saying "Best floating HQ since the Blackjack" would out me as somehow too nerdy, so it's nice to see I'm in good company. :)

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

CottonWolf posted:

Huh. I guess that if they went to the lengths to make concept art for it, an airship stretch goal is pretty much confirmed.

That image was drawn by Chang Yuan, but it's not from Torment [as far as I can tell, it's not a new piece of art anyway].

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Great Rumbler posted:

That image was drawn by Chang Yuan, but it's not from Torment [as far as I can tell, it's not a new piece of art anyway].
Yeah, that's just an older piece of his. It's not for Torment.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jenx posted:

I'm thinking less Baldur's Gate 2 which, I agree, wasn't a really good implementation, but more Neverwinter Nights 2. Even better would be like Divinity 2's Dragon Tower.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah I wouldn't want a low INT run either. One of the biggest flaws of P:T was that if you didn't have a high INT and WIS build you pretty much screwed yourself out of a good chunk of the plot and interactions with characters. I'm hoping Numenera avoids all that.

Personally I'm hoping they don't make character interaction stat based at all, or at least separate combat stats from social stats and let you level both individually. Or something along those lines.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Schurik posted:

Personally I'm hoping they don't make character interaction stat based at all, or at least separate combat stats from social stats and let you level both individually. Or something along those lines.
Yeah, Project Eternity is already doing that and Torment 2 would definitely need a similar system seeing is that the focus seems to be a lot more on shaping the MC's personality and the interaction with the characters and world arond you.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 15, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Schurik posted:

For me, anything would be fine as long as they don't gate the majority of the best content behind one choice that you make at the beginning of the game while giving absolutely no hints as to what the 'right' choice is.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 15, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
They could potentially multi-track the play from beginning to end so that there are parallel "violent badass" and "wise/charismatic" playthroughs (with each missing out on the problems/solutions/extras that the other gets). Once you mix that with the tides/legacies there would be a vast amount of non-repetitive replayability.

The thing that PS:T didnt have was a decent amount of actual "extra stuff" for the violent playthrough. (Although neck-snapping mid-conversation was a good start. :black101:)

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I wonder if they'll do evil as well as they did in the original, have they said anything about it?

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

FRINGE posted:

They could potentially multi-track the play from beginning to end so that there are parallel "violent badass" and "wise/charismatic" playthroughs (with each missing out on the problems/solutions/extras that the other gets).

So paragon/renegade, huh? (I kid, I kid)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Since it might almost matter to some people in the thread, it is worth noting that Wizards of the Coast actually did start selling .PDFs of their games earlier this year--and not, like, just the new stuff. Some of the first things they put up were pristine copies of 1970s original D&D modules. Say what you will about their crazy plans for the next version of the game to be half-regression, but if it means they are going to promote actually being able to buy all the stuff they have ever released, that is still good for everyone but the hardcore collectors (and "the actual original version" is still going to be valuable even with reprints after all).

Is there a way we can vote for an option for hundreds of beard options, each of which gives you a different level of intelligence?

(Also the Dead State combat video is out, and that game is going to rule)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They still need to re-release books of AD&D 2, like they've made for AD&D 1 and D&D 3.5.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Quarex posted:

(Also the Dead State combat video is out, and that game is going to rule)
Oh nice. Thanks for the mention - I used to check up on this game every once in a while but haven't since last summer sometime. Glad they're moving along!

Low intelligence given new unique dialogue, as in Vampire: Bloodlines, would be fantastic.

Dec 26, 2012

Noricae posted:

Low intelligence given new unique dialogue, as in Vampire: Bloodlines

Wait, what?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

01011001 posted:

Wait, what?

Malkavians weren't stupid. :colbert:

Dec 26, 2012

omeg posted:

I'd take something like the Malkavian stuff over a low-int dialogue set any day of the week. Doubly so when the premise of the game is something semi-cerebral.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

omeg posted:

Close enough ;) But yes, I would prefer an insanity option (or a delusional/constant visions) over low intelligence options - but only because I've never seen low int done well, just as grunts and nothing interesting to add to the story. It was just the only example I could think of that had an entirely different dialogue set for a path you chose in the beginning.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Brother None, is there any chance of you offering the printed versions of the novellas as an add-on to physical tiers? I understand if you don't want to in order to keep the higher tiers appealing, but I'd be willing to throw down $25-35 plus any extra required shipping for that sort of thing. Having already pre-ordered the Numenera corebook from Monte, I just can't justify leaping up to the next physical tier.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Latest update is up, with Adam Heine talking tides and legacies, and this piece of art.

CottonWolf posted:

Brother None, is there any chance of you offering the printed versions of the novellas as an add-on to physical tiers?

Yes. We're looking into it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Brother None posted:

Latest update is up, with Adam Heine talking tides and legacies, and this piece of art.

Yes. We're looking into it.

So when are we going to be able to recruit Superman as one of our companions?
Or is he another castoff and we get to spend a few hours flying around with all our stats maxed out?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Let there be low int dialogue, I want to see those min-max fighters punished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Brought To You By posted:

So when are we going to be able to recruit Superman as one of our companions?
Or is he another castoff and we get to spend a few hours flying around with all our stats maxed out?

Oh man, that would be awesome. Also I just realised that if the other castoffs have different stats then playing as them would be a good way to give you a taste of different play styles. Hey, maybe that could be a pledge reward? If there are five castoffs, five people who donate X amount could make sure they're optimised for their preferred play style: a diplomat, a sneaky thief, a mage/laser/whatever character, a brawler, etc.

• Locked thread