Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I'm not sure if it's XBLA only but Microsoft has a pretty bullshit rule that you can only release a game on PS3 and then later 360 if the 360 version has extra content. Sony might do it too but I've seen more examples of it on the Xbox side. Once again, I don't know if this applies to retail games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

LightningKimba posted:

So good news, EU goons! Persona Europe just posted on their Facebook page that P4A's coming to Europe in May! ... Hopefully!

So get hype and hopefully the game will do well in spite of being released nearly a year late in comparison to the US!

I'm legitimately surprised, but I'm also unsure if my poo poo-giving quotient has been depleted by this point.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just realized the best news about P4 coming to EU in May. Super Persona 4 Arena coming in June!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Doyagao posted:

That's the same question I first had when they announced they have the PS3 version ready for submission.
They also keep saying how they have nothing to do with the delay involved, but who else is at fault then?

I think they're blaming Zen United without saying as much out loud. From what this article says, it seems it was supposed to come out close to the US release. I guess they hosed up somewhere along the line. Royally.

Hopefully they'll have nothing to do with any future Atlus releases that might be region locked (although I really hope this is the last time they do that; region locks are bullshit).

AG3 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 14, 2013

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

AG3 posted:

I think they're blaming Zen United without saying as much out loud. From what this article says, it seems it was supposed to come out close to the US release. I guess they hosed up somewhere along the line. Royally.

I'd love to hear the reasons behind the delay. I wonder if the real story will ever come out.

Dweller
Sep 6, 2008

The_Frag_Man posted:

I'd love to hear the reasons behind the delay. I wonder if the real story will ever come out.

My guess is it's something as simple as they didn't start work on the European version until the American and Japanese releases were done. Atlus are terrible at getting games out over here - Persona 4 Golden just came out the other week and that was one of their better jobs. None of the Devil Survivor games have been released yet and they're so old even the sequels are getting remakes. P4A is just getting people extra mad because of the region lock, the game missing its 2012 target, the crippling of any chance the game had of finding a real competitive scene here and Zen United being a bunch of clowns that don't tell anybody anything.

Hey, here's something I posted last July.

Dweller posted:

Yeah, Zen United are the EU publishers for this and their track record isn't great. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger released NA June 30, 2009 and EU April 2, 2010. I'd like to play this game before 2013 please.

Update: I am not interested in learning this game any more. I guess that goes for a lot of people. Hopefully the take away is that EU distribution needs to get better and not that there's no market over here.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dweller posted:

Persona 4 Golden just came out the other week and that was one of their better jobs.

That has nothing to do with Atlus -- it's NISA who got us the game. NISA, Nippon Ichi Software America. Not only are they a friendly rival of sorts of Atlus, they don't even have an European office. It's a bizarro world, this.

Dweller posted:

Hopefully the take away is that EU distribution needs to get better and not that there's no market over here.

Haha, we wish. The only "lesson" they will learn from this is that "those Europeans aren't worth the trouble, look, they didn't even buy our latest game!"

Because nobody in their right mind would release a multiplayer game at full price nearly a year after everyone else got it, whose online community is now non-existant. To get to this point and still carrying on doing these mistakes it's enough to show they have absolutely no clue on what they are doing.

What a train wreck. The more sad that this is a quality fighter and didn't deserve to be forgotten like this.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 15, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Saoshyant posted:

That has nothing to do with Atlus -- it's NISA who got us the game. NISA, Nippon Ichi Software America. Not only are they a friendly rival of sorts of Atlus, they don't even have an European office. It's a bizarro world, this.

P4G wasn't region locked either, so people who really wanted it as early as possible (like me) could just import it anyway.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

AG3 posted:

P4G wasn't region locked either, so people who really wanted it as early as possible (like me) could just import it anyway.

Yeah, and there wasn't even any DLC so you didn't even have to worry about Vita's bullshit quasi-PSN account swapping. Just slot it and go.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
Does it really matter if the game is 'old' ? I still play guilty gear as often as I can.
As long as you keep playing a game, it'll never die. Playing a game and being positive about it sends a positive vibe which might attact another player, while being negative about it and complaining will send a negative and possibly scare off a potential player.

I'll be playing actively, keeping the community near me as active as possible and organizing tournaments once in a while.

The game is really good and easy to get into, so if you're thinking whether to play this or not, I really suggest you to give it a serious try

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
https://www.facebook.com/PersonaEurope

Europe release date confirmed for May 10th
Preorder includes the official arrange soundtrack plus digital fan pack

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Just started playing this, I loaned my arcade stick away and I'm finding it particularly hard to memorize which button combinations are what on a pad. Anyways, Kanji's story mode owns so hard, particularly his alternate joke ending. I couldn't stop laughing at my TV.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Button combinations are awkward overall at first, because there's a lot of them and they don't translate from other games very well. Be patient with it and it'll start to feel natural.

I nearly went on a suicide dive on ranked today. I really need to learn when to quit and go to training mode.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm starting to get back into this game, and I've been trying out Elizabeth. I know she's not the best character or anything, but does anyone have general or basic tips for playing as her? I tried looking around and couldn't find anything for people starting out with her, but I might have missed something.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/show...l=1#post1478166

There's some tutorial videos in the center of this post, section 3b. A lot of them are just combo theory, however. Your main purpose as liz is to keep them within one of two ranges - At the extreme edge of your normals, where you can outrange them with frisbees and assorted normals, or within range for thanatos blockstrings and mixups.

You'll want to learn how to keep them at range, then learn the safe thanatos blockstrings, then learn how to capitalize off a hit.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Are any UK goons thinking about buying this game? If you're willing to preorder it from GAME and you don't care about the vinyl soundtrack, get in touch with me; I'd love to subsidize your purchase of p4a and buy the soundtrack from you. I've got pms, so if anybody's interested, get in touch please!

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Doyagao posted:

Kuma guide! Kuma in 3 days.

Day1:
http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Teddie_%28P4Arena%29
Check through his moves on the dustloop wiki and try each one of them in practice mode. Play around with microdash 5B 5D.
Learn what each one of his items do. For now, just throw the first 2 items asap. The 2nd item restores SP, so don't let the opponent have it.
Items 3~5 are very strong.
Ice, aerial bomb and the barrel are one of the strongest items kuma has, and they're all in a row.
Ice can be used as a mixup, combo extender, antiair or trap/blocking their approach.
Aerial bomb and barrel are best used together. Try to learn the timing when the aerial bomb explodes.
Barrel is arguably the best item Kuma has. It'll eat a lot of horizontal space, and will force really good mixups once the opponent blocks it.
Try to control the air with 2C, j.A and 2B and force them to either block the barrel or eat an antiair move. Once they're blocking, you can use quickescape to create a mixup that is difficult to block.

Horizontal moves:
5B: This is one of kuma's staple tools. It's rather fast and has great horizontal range, and near the corner it leads into huge combos on counterhit. Be careful not to whiff this though.
Try to remember and start using 5AA 5B backdash sequence to keep your spacing.

j.C: This is a really good move. The hitbox is so huge that it even hits chie 2a and the like. The return on counterhit is also huge - even if you just 2B j.a j.236 you'll do over 3000 damage. You'll learn better combos with this later on. Just get familiar with this move for now.

5A: This move has a long reach for being 5A. As it's jump cancellable, you have a lot of options to go for from here.

Antiair:

2B:
This move has almost no horizontal hitbox, but it's one of the best anti-airs in the game. It's jump cancellable in the rare case the opponent lands and blocks it. Try not to whiff though, as the recovery on whiff is rather long. Doesn't lead into a lot of damage midscreen, but near the corner it'll net lots of damage.

j.A: This move is really fast, has a really good hitbox and is active for quite long, giving you the advance even if it's blocked. Superior for air-to-air. If you land a hit, go for j.B j.D and if you still have an airdash to use, you can airdash after j.D.

2C: When the opponent tries to bait your 2B with double jump or moves like Labrys j.214, or when you anticipate they are trying to jump over you (i.e when you're using barrel).
This move fatal counters, so the return is really high.

Pressure and mixups:
Kuma has only one overhead move, A+B. Even his aerial moves can be blocked both high and low. Instead of high/low mixups, kuma aims for throws and crossups more.

Throw:
Kuma's throw is really good. Midscreen it's rather difficult to combo from throw, but in the corner the damage payoff is huge.
Midscreen you can use dash 5B 236C+D 236236C against some characters, but it's hardly worth the meter.
In the corner, you can do something I'd call Kuma's #1 bnb.
Throw microdash 5B hj8 j.C j.B j.A 5B 5C 2B j.A j.A j.236A j.236236{D} }D{ 214B or 214A+B
Especially the microdash 5B hj8 j.C j.B j.A part requires a lot of practice. Do j.C almost immediately after the highjump so that you don't go too high.
Cancel j.B into j.A immediately, and the rest of the combo should be easy.
For the last part, hold D in 236236D and release it when the opponent is near the ground, making them bounce up again. Hit them with 214B on the way down to inflict Fear status.
For okizeme you can do low j.C land 5b or dash in 5a or throw an item.

While this combo requires a little practice and might prove a bit hard for new fighting game players, I'd recommend spending most of your training time learning this single combo. Without it Kuma is a lot weaker.
For those who are content with playing at lower level and don't have the time for practice, you can do this inferior and a lot easier combo:
Throw 5B 5C 2B j.A j.A j.236A j.236236D

A+B
Kuma's only overhead move, and slightly different from other bokosuka-attacks in the game in the sense that you can hold your stick left or right to control the attack during the startup, making crossups possible. The move itself is rather slow and very easily reacted to, but when you hit from behind it gets a lot harder to block. Can be also used to punish throw/counter throw attempts, as it gets immune to throws very quick. Also beats out a lot of r-actions, making it a good tool against reversal happy opponents. The damage return is pretty high.
Be careful with Yukiko's, Kanji's and Chie's r-actions as they mostly beat this.

throw / A+B counter
You'll need to be careful though, as the opponent can do backjump airthrow to beat out kuma's throw and A+B options both. The jump avoids the groundthrow, and Kuma's bokosuka-attack can be airthrown.
To avoid this, use more 2A and vary your throw / A+B timings.
To get the highest return, you can do microdash 2C, but it also has the biggest risk.

Dash inertia ascending j.B
As a mixup to dash up throw, you can do this to beat out counterthrows. Also beats out most normal attacks as well as some r-actions, so overall the risk is very low.
You can control the bounce of j.B by holding back or front, or letting the stick stay at neutral and attack from either side next this way.

Airdash j.B
After a jumpcancellable move like 5A, you can do instant airdash and hit with a crossup j.B from behind.
To net anything from this requires some practice though: You need to cancel j.B into j.A immediately, and do a really quick microdash 5A once you're grounded.
Most 5A beat j.A here so make sure to mix this pattern with your other choices to avoid being 5A'd.

Phew, Day1 info a bit longer than I had initally planned.
Day2 and Day3 will be much shorter and mainly focused on Kuma's items and combos.

Feel free to comment or ask questions.

Any chance you still plan on writing day 2 and 3 of this? I really like your guides and I'm trying to pick up Teddie/Kuma.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

cumtini... on ice posted:

Any chance you still plan on writing day 2 and 3 of this? I really like your guides and I'm trying to pick up Teddie/Kuma.

Sure, since you requested it. I've been pretty busy with guilty gear and other stuff, haven't played Kuma for a while but I'll try to get back in shape with him in the offline meet next thursday.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Last week I got a chance to play this thing for a bit, and it left a good enough first impression that I finally caved in and ordered it. Therefore, two questions: Is the netcode good enough to support playing across Europe, and would any of you fine people have a very basic Yu guide handy?

Edit: Never mind about that last bit, I just found Doyagao's post a few pages earlier.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 20, 2013

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Siivola posted:

Last week I got a chance to play this thing for a bit, and it left a good enough first impression that I finally caved in and ordered it. Therefore, two questions: Is the netcode good enough to support playing across Europe, and would any of you fine people have a very basic Yu guide handy?

Edit: Never mind about that last bit, I just found Doyagao's post a few pages earlier.

The netcode is the same that is used in blazblue, arcana heart 3, guilty gear etc. Delay certainly affects the game but it's not completely unplayable. Depends what you're used to. I'm personally very allergic to any input delay and can't take netplay seriously, I've spent way too much time in the game centers and playing console versions offline as well. Depends on where you live and how your connection is routed to the rest of Europe. If you got a good connection (good routing, not bandwidth) and don't live in like southern europe you should have a good bunch of people to play against.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is there a console this is better on? Mostly wondering with regard to controller and performance, I'd probably be leaning toward PS3 just because online is free but it might be dead by now I guess and it coming out in Europe probably won't reignite it much.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

thebardyspoon posted:

Is there a console this is better on? Mostly wondering with regard to controller and performance, I'd probably be leaning toward PS3 just because online is free but it might be dead by now I guess and it coming out in Europe probably won't reignite it much.

I was on last night and was able to find 3 or 4 rooms I could play in on PS3. I think I heard it's deader on XBox but I don't know myself.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Its very hard to find anyone to play with on Xbox Live. You might find the same person in ranked over and over, or a single lobby that is apparently being hosted in Australia or something.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Its very hard to find anyone to play with on Xbox Live. You might find the same person in ranked over and over, or a single lobby that is apparently being hosted in Australia or something.

This is mostly true, but I'm pretty free in ranked, so it's not all bad if you're looking to start out.

Seriously though, I rarely have to wait more than 30 seconds or so in ranked and there is usually 3-4 lobbies going when I'm playing around 10 PM pacific.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I havent tried playing that late in a long while. I guess I should give it a try!

Typical Gnu
Mar 4, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

With regards to the controller I'd say that the PS3's gamepad is leagues better than the 360's, and because the specials are almost entirely quarter circles gamepads are on par with sticks. I rarely see Street Fighter players or MvC players using PS3 pads, but there are 3 or 4 really good Arena players at the nearby locals that use pad and do pretty well in tournaments.

Of course that's just what I think. If you have any friends that own the game or if there's a rental store nearby you could always just borrow/rent it for both platforms and find out what you prefer yourself.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I got my hands on an old PS3 earlier last month and put CFW on it. So I was able to import and modify the game so it so it will be playable! I have only played a few hours so far but I like the large amount of story content there seems to be. I like that the auto combo system allows you to easily beat most fights in story mode if you want to just see all of that before learning the game proper. It is out in a week from now, but I don't really want to pay anything close to full price for it so late after release so I am happy with a US copy and no online.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
I got to play this for once yesterday, hurray. One thing I still don't get is Chie's oki against Teddie. Are you just not supposed to use any D oki on him? I know you can do some sort of j.D setup in the corner. Some places I read you can sweep > 5D but it seems he always DPs out of that too.

Typical Gnu
Mar 4, 2013

Teddie breaks Chie's normal oki completely as far as I know. The most you can do is bait the DP with 5D (not 5DD) midscreen and maybe corner and do some weird j.D oki when he's in the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV6nAGSmR28&t=1h36m34s
Here's a pretty good video of the matchup that shows what it looks like to play without oki.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Ohh, okay thanks. Not being able to use any Tomoe oki seems like a big disadvantage but then I watch the Chie in that video and I'm just like :stare:.

Typical Gnu
Mar 4, 2013

Yeah, Chie vs Teddie is pretty much a battle of the :stare:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yfcztodeyw
Here's another Chie vs Teddie. Both players have pretty different playstyles, but they're both still really good.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Latte Lottie posted:

I got to play this for once yesterday, hurray. One thing I still don't get is Chie's oki against Teddie. Are you just not supposed to use any D oki on him? I know you can do some sort of j.D setup in the corner. Some places I read you can sweep > 5D but it seems he always DPs out of that too.

Can't use 5DD against kuma, it's a free ticket out. Instead, you can finish your combos with 236a 236a and use j.d / j.2d as okizeme. It's a weird matchup, Chie has some tools that only work on kuma. I might post info on this later

EU release on friday. Woo! If you're in scandinavia, I suggest you to get the PS3 release.

Sorry for being slow with the rest of the kuma guide, I'll try to find the time to get back to the character sometime soon.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
I just got a surprise copy of this in the mail today! Guess I forgot to cancel my preorder way back when it was first announced.

I've played a little before and I really likr Labrys but my fightgame friends say that Labrys is worse than Kanji. Is this true? Is Labrys really that bad :ohdear:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unless you plan to play in tournaments tiers don't matter. Tiers are made assuming perfect or at least near-perfect play. Tager in the BlazBlue series is usually low or mid-tier depending on version, but in casual play he's probably the best character in the game just because he can win with three grabs, and in casual play people are way more likely to make the slip-ups that allow him to land grabs.

So play Labrys all you want.

Also, the tier lists I've found by googling all have Kanji and Labrys in about the same place, so even if you plan to play in tournaments I don't think Labrys is worse than Kanji. Basically, your friends are megadumb. Please laugh at them for me.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
Ah cool, that makes me feel better. Especially since he is a Kanji player. Now I just need to get good enough to beat him.

Also does anyone have any tips for fighting Naoto as Labrys? I have such a hard time trying to get close and when I do I get grabbed and insta killed...

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Jehuti posted:

I just got a surprise copy of this in the mail today! Guess I forgot to cancel my preorder way back when it was first announced.

I've played a little before and I really likr Labrys but my fightgame friends say that Labrys is worse than Kanji. Is this true? Is Labrys really that bad :ohdear:

Labrys is pretty solid midtier, she's not bad. The only thing is that she's not very solid either, if you want a strong character there's very little she can do that for example Narukami can't.
Even at high level she's viable, I have a pretty high winrate with her in a competitive tournament scene.

Jehuti posted:

Ah cool, that makes me feel better. Especially since he is a Kanji player. Now I just need to get good enough to beat him.

Also does anyone have any tips for fighting Naoto as Labrys? I have such a hard time trying to get close and when I do I get grabbed and insta killed...

what are you getting hit by? the bullets? Move in a bit more carefully, move in a bit at time and make sure to block the bullets. Use super jumps and airdashes, but be ready to switch to block anytime. Check out my labrys guide from a few pages ago and make sure you hurt them a lot when you get the opportunity.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Jehuti posted:

AA him with 2B not with 2C. 2C has lots of active frames, but lots of recovery leaves you standing. He'll be able to grab you with his air dive. After that, learn to confirm off the 2B combos posted a few pages back and wait for him to get overly aggressive!

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

After watching some of those Chie videos one of the corner combos really stuck out and I thought "I should really learn that!" The combo is (corner) IAD j.BB 5B 5C 2B 2C 236B 5A 5B 5C 2B 2C 5B > sweep > oki. I must have sat there for thirty minutes not understanding why it wasn't working, wondering if it had to do with some weird timing. Finally a big ! appeared over my head, and I realized that the blue overhead ! was missing from the combo. I never realized they mattered, I just thought a combo was based on counter or not counter. I feel really stupid.

e: Double stupid, it's probably just because the opponent's hitbox is stuck in crouch.

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 10, 2013

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Latte Lottie posted:

After watching some of those Chie videos one of the corner combos really stuck out and I thought "I should really learn that!" The combo is (corner) IAD j.BB 5B 5C 2B 2C 236B 5A 5B 5C 2B 2C 5B > sweep > oki. I must have sat there for thirty minutes not understanding why it wasn't working, wondering if it had to do with some weird timing. Finally a big ! appeared over my head, and I realized that the blue overhead ! was missing from the combo. I never realized they mattered, I just thought a combo was based on counter or not counter. I feel really stupid.

e: Double stupid, it's probably just because the opponent's hitbox is stuck in crouch.

236B into 5A only works on crouchers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
What's a good way to learn this game then? Got it when it came out in the UK and haven't had a chance to properly dig into it yet, done one characters story mode up to the "to be continued" part, arcade mode as Chie and some of challenge mode for every character. Going online and getting worked is usually the suggestion for fighting games but I feel like there's some stuff I just don't really get that'll hinder me there. I did the lesson mode and it just tells me how to do stuff, doesn't really tell you why you would want to or what situation you would want to do it in. I guess that's probably obvious to some but to me it might as well be an alien language. It's the same with some of the command list stuff, it uses abbreviations I don't know and doesn't explain what those are anywhere.

• Locked thread