Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I feel like it says a lot when Bill Simmons of all people suggests that people shouldn't pay attention to, or care about, First Take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005
That's one of the most cringeworthy videos I've seen on the internet. It's like someone going onto WWE Raw and sincerely trying to dress down Vince McMahon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Why? Same iconoclastic nonsense, just of a different political bent

I don't think you have seen Maddow. She is fairly decent for what she is.

Mourningview posted:

One of these days I am just going to make talking about anything that happened on First Take bannable.
You should, it isn't very interesting when it comes up.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

So It Goes posted:

I feel like it says a lot when Bill Simmons of all people suggests that people shouldn't pay attention to, or care about, First Take.

Bill Simmons is wrong and dumb a lot of the time, but I think this one is right up there with "we should make a bunch of documentaries about sports" and "what if we got a bunch of people to write interesting things about sports but didn't put it on espn.com" as one of his better ones.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I like Adrian Wojnarowski, but his latest article is just terrible - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--b...-174058736.html

I don't know where to start. His premise (how dare you make fun of this poor child!) is horrible, his examples (people on Twitter, who last I checked aren't actually playing in the NBA) is poor, and he's making the biggest mountain possible out of this molehill. Knight got dunked on and that poo poo happens. It'll happen again soon and we'll all flip our poo poo over that play. Should we demand Darryl Dawkins apologize to Bill Robinzine's family for breaking the backboard over him and putting his name in the dunk? If Brandon Knight instead got his ankles broken on a Chris Paul crossover, is that still as bad?

The whole thing is bad. It's so hand-wringing and hugboxy that I'm hoping it comes out that Woj lifted it wholesale from Tumblr.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Woj is an excellent and very well connected reporter but his actual basketball opinions and analysis are almost universially awful.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

Woj is an excellent and very well connected reporter but his actual basketball opinions and analysis are almost universially awful.

Is he the Heyman of the basketball world?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Toffile posted:

Is he the Heyman of the basketball world?

No, Woj isn't just a mouthpiece for agents like Heyman is.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
From what I understand, Woj is also weirdly aggressive and will e-mail people who disagree with/criticize him on Twitter.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

C. Everett Koop posted:

I like Adrian Wojnarowski, but his latest article is just terrible - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--b...-174058736.html

I don't know where to start. His premise (how dare you make fun of this poor child!) is horrible, his examples (people on Twitter, who last I checked aren't actually playing in the NBA) is poor, and he's making the biggest mountain possible out of this molehill. Knight got dunked on and that poo poo happens. It'll happen again soon and we'll all flip our poo poo over that play. Should we demand Darryl Dawkins apologize to Bill Robinzine's family for breaking the backboard over him and putting his name in the dunk? If Brandon Knight instead got his ankles broken on a Chris Paul crossover, is that still as bad?

The whole thing is bad. It's so hand-wringing and hugboxy that I'm hoping it comes out that Woj lifted it wholesale from Tumblr.

"A widely followed parody account of comedian Kevin Hart" is a loving line in a Real Journalism basketball article. kill me now, I want to die :suicide:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jeff Sullivan is leaving Lookout Landing :(

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I agree with Woj's assertion that the general public is dickholes and prone to unfunny hyperbole.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Simmons was suspended from Twitter for three days for violating the social media policies by accurately describing First Take. http://deadspin.com/espn-suspends-b...dium=socialflow

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

EDIT: Beaten.

You know, say what you will about Simmons (and you'd be right), but ESPN is beyond belief out of line here. I could buy him getting suspended for saying something racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.

But for criticizing ESPN's poo poo programming?

ESPN, You do realize that outside of Jeremy Schaap and Bob Ley? Simmons is one of the few things separating your channel from being E! news. (not his column, just mainly for the occasional good grantland piece and 30 for 30)

I'll also say this. Simmons could leave ESPN tomorrow, and take his talents to another media source and be better off.

You don't think Sports Illustrated/NBCSN are begging to land a guy of his caliber? Fox Sports? CBS?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

morestuff posted:

From what I understand, Woj is also weirdly aggressive and will e-mail people who disagree with/criticize him on Twitter.

I was actually reading the twitters of Zach Lowe and that guy from Sacramento who is now a national reporter whose name I forget and they both got really crusty with random guys on twitter insulting them. It's weird seeing grown men do that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Frot Lesnar posted:

Simmons was suspended from Twitter for three days for violating the social media policies by accurately describing First Take. http://deadspin.com/espn-suspends-b...dium=socialflow

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think ESPN did much of anything wrong here. Simmons knew what he was doing, and the consequences.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'd rather Simmons keep doing what he's doing and take the occasional suspension. If ESPN gets rid of him, all the better (for him)

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

morestuff posted:

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think ESPN did much of anything wrong here. Simmons knew what he was doing, and the consequences.

There was nothing he said that was out of line though. He criticized a segment that was embarrassing and flew way off the handle. In fact, his criticism was even fairly polite.

ESPN really can't afford to piss him off regardless of what you think of him. As FuzzySkinner said, he could take his ball and go home, and have 100 offers to him in 24 hours, mostly for ridiculous sums of money. Or he could try to pull another Grantland type deal independently (which would honestly be awesome). ESPN needs him way more than he needs ESPN. His readers know who he is and this is 2013. If he sudden;y disappeared off of ESPN'S front page, his listeners/readers would know exactly where to find him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

morestuff posted:

hey man, Tina Turner knew what was gonna happen if she popped off again

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

No company wants its employees, especially high-profile ones, making GBS threads on them. Simmons knew he was breaking a rule he agreed to, did it anyway, and got a mild slap on the wrist. I don't think ESPN overreacted.

sportsgenius86 posted:

hey man, Tina Turner knew what was gonna happen if she popped off again

Come on.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

morestuff posted:

No company wants its employees, especially high-profile ones, making GBS threads on them. Simmons knew he was breaking a rule he agreed to, did it anyway, and got a mild slap on the wrist. I don't think ESPN overreacted.

Come on

It's just loving stupid. There shouldn't any defense of it whatsoever.

It doesn't matter anyway considering Simmons surely did it knowing full well what to expect. He's the least expendable person in the entire company and he knows it.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

chunkles posted:

I was actually reading the twitters of Zach Lowe and that guy from Sacramento who is now a national reporter whose name I forget and they both got really crusty with random guys on twitter insulting them. It's weird seeing grown men do that.

It is weird and completely dumb but, as relentlessly lovely as people can get online, I'm surprised that crustiness doesn't come out more.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's just loving stupid. There shouldn't any defense of it whatsoever.

If my boss tells me "Hey, don't do this," and I do it anyway, there are going to be consequences. ESPN needs Simmons more than he needs them, but he's still ultimately an employee.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
There hasn't been an article by an ESPN Ombudsman for 5 months. That's hilariously irresponsible, especially since there are bigger matters of journalistic integrity coming up than some of the usual "the games get drawn out by the coverage" and "there is a coverage bias towards *popular team*".

Funny enough, one of the first searches for "ESPN Ombusdman" is a post from last week pointing out that ESPN doesn't currently have an ombudsman. Also a review of what's come from that position since it's existed.

http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-media-news/espns-ombudsman-vacancy-emphasizes-importance-of-independent-objective-voice-in-journalism/

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Badfinger posted:

There hasn't been an article by an ESPN Ombudsman for 5 months. That's hilariously irresponsible, especially since there are bigger matters of journalistic integrity coming up than some of the usual "the games get drawn out by the coverage" and "there is a coverage bias towards *popular team*".

Funny enough, one of the first searches for "ESPN Ombusdman" is a post from last week pointing out that ESPN doesn't currently have an ombudsman. Also a review of what's come from that position since it's existed.

http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-media-news/espns-ombudsman-vacancy-emphasizes-importance-of-independent-objective-voice-in-journalism/

Even when there were articles by the Ombudsman it was always in response to something that happened six months ago.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Simmons was spot on, but ESPN is well within its right to punish an employee for public criticism, regardless of the criticism's merits. Simmons could definitely thrive with someone else, but you're crazy to think he's inexpendable for a company with a virtual monopoly on sports coverage and a site that's going to get more traffic than god no matter who's writing for it. Their main incentive to keep him is how much they've invested in Grantland.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.
Congrats ESPN, you just drove up page hits to Grantland and probably put a few more eyeballs on First Take for a few days. Plus it's probably best that Simmons wasn't allowed to have a public meltdown about the Pats Free Agency.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

General Dog posted:

Simmons was spot on, but ESPN is well within its right to punish an employee for public criticism, regardless of the criticism's merits. Simmons could definitely thrive with someone else, but you're crazy to think he's inexpendable for a company with a virtual monopoly on sports coverage and a site that's going to get more traffic than god no matter who's writing for it. Their main incentive to keep him is how much they've invested in Grantland.

We're in a world where every other major power is trying to build its own network to cross brand with a web presence. He's never been more safe than he is right now. His fans are almost exclusively in the key demographic the company wants to target. It's not so much about them losing clicks as it is someone else gaining them because of Simmons. Are they too powerful to be knocked off - almost certainly. But this is not a climate in which they're going to test those waters by letting Simmons walk. FOX would back a dump truck full of money at his door tomorrow. They'd be dying to launch their all sports network with someone as influential as Bill Simmons captaining the ship.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

We're in a world where every other major power is trying to build its own network to cross brand with a web presence. He's never been more safe than he is right now. His fans are almost exclusively in the key demographic the company wants to target. It's not so much about them losing clicks as it is someone else gaining them because of Simmons. Are they too powerful to be knocked off - almost certainly. But this is not a climate in which they're going to test those waters by letting Simmons walk. FOX would back a dump truck full of money at his door tomorrow. They'd be dying to launch their all sports network with someone as influential as Bill Simmons captaining the ship.

ESPN is about to enter a new era in competition.

I honestly believe NBCSN is one big contract away from being relevant (NASCAR anyone?).

Fox Sports already has some good deals going on itself.

CBS Sports? I'm not sure. They don't have poo poo on their network as it stands right now, but that could change.

So, yes. They're really investing in perhaps the worst sorts of people right now. They should be listening to what Simmons has to say, not fining him.

This also means that bullying the on-air/writers talent is a mistake. They can't do what they did tried to do to Dan Patrick back in the day, because there's 3 other alternatives licking their chops for talent, and a name to stamp on their brand.

In the end guys like Cowherd, Bayless and SAS are a dime a dozen. You can stick any idiot in a chair, hand him some talking points and let him go to town. And that's exactly what will happen the mere second any of those goofballs drop some sort of racist/sexist/homophobic comment. You'll see them whisked away, and some other idiot will be put in the same exact chair.

Guys like Simmons, SVP, Dan Patrick are not.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 15, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

General Dog posted:

Simmons was spot on, but ESPN is well within its right to punish an employee for public criticism, regardless of the criticism's merits.

No one is claiming that ESPN doesn't have the right to punish him, they're saying it's loving stupid for them to do so. Maybe if they didn't want to get criticism they shouldn't embarrass themselves with segments like that First Take thing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Why is it stupid to do so? If they don't, they give everyone at the company the right to trash other ESPN products. Simmons was spot-on with his criticism and ESPN airing that crap is a joke, but I understand a company not wanting their employees going after other parts of the company.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Sure am sad about all those quality Bill Simmons tweets we've been deprived of

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Who will Cousin Sal talk to now?!

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

One group of people stumbling all over themselves to defend the rights of the poor and downtrodden multinational broadcasting company, another group of people defending Bill goddamned Simmons. Implode thread

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

ESPN is about to enter a new era in competition.

I honestly believe NBCSN is one big contract away from being relevant (NASCAR anyone?).

Fox Sports already has some good deals going on itself.

CBS Sports? I'm not sure. They don't have poo poo on their network as it stands right now, but that could change.

So, yes. They're really investing in perhaps the worst sorts of people right now. They should be listening to what Simmons has to say, not fining him.

This also means that bullying the on-air/writers talent is a mistake. They can't do what they did tried to do to Dan Patrick back in the day, because there's 3 other alternatives licking their chops for talent, and a name to stamp on their brand.

In the end guys like Cowherd, Bayless and SAS are a dime a dozen. You can stick any idiot in a chair, hand him some talking points and let him go to town. And that's exactly what will happen the mere second any of those goofballs drop some sort of racist/sexist/homophobic comment. You'll see them whisked away, and some other idiot will be put in the same exact chair.

Guys like Simmons, SVP, Dan Patrick are not.

Does anyone else watch The Lights on NBCSN? I had quit watching sports shows on TV almost entirely (I've just been relying on the internet for everything) until I stumbled on it recently. I know it's been on for quite a while but I enjoy that they show a lot more actual sports than Sports Center.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 15, 2013

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

tadashi posted:

Does anyone else watch The Lights? I had quit watching sports shows on TV almost entirely (I've just been relying on the internet for everything) until I stumbled on it recently. I know it's been on for quite a while but I enjoy that they show a lot more actual sports than Sports Center.

The ratings say barely anyone does (this is a good site for complete weekly ratings for sports channels, btw):

http://sonofthebronx.blogspot.com/2013/03/nbc-sports-network-nba-tv-mlb-network_8.html

For that matter, I don't remember seeing this posted, but there was a good article on why NBC Sportsnet as a whole is struggling:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/february/the-issues-hindering-nbc-sports-network-s-growth-part-i.html

While I'm at it, Bill Walton made comments on Simmons' suspension and told a Ray Lewis limo joke last night. I wonder if he's about to get suspended too:

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php...imo-joke-video/

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

stuart scott irl posted:

One group of people stumbling all over themselves to defend the rights of the poor and downtrodden multinational broadcasting company, another group of people defending Bill goddamned Simmons. Implode thread

Deadspin did a new redesign, that's a thing, right

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Between Soccer, Hockey, and F1, NBC is going all in on sports Americans don't watch.

NBC owns

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

DOOP posted:

Between Soccer, Hockey, and F1, NBC is going all in on sports Americans don't watch on television

NBC owns
Fixed. Both MLS and NHL outdrew the NBA on a per-game basis last season, though the NBA definitely has the cultural high ground still. Anymore I would say MLS has as much a right to the #4 sports league as the NHL, if not moreso.
Also, I think by putting Monaco on a live network broadcast NBC is giving F1 a push it hasn't had in the States in a long time. What will come of it, I don't know, but as a longtime F1 fan I'm not going to complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Mariotti wrote a piece on Kobe.

For ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9051655/nba-los-angeles-lakers-kobe-bryant-running-show

They say it's a one-time deal this article, but they started letting Stephen A. Smith get ESPN gigs again and look where he is now.