Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nimdok
Dec 11, 2012

Seizure Robot posted:

For Iron Man it looks from your notation like you're using forward+H, I don't really play him anymore but I always used down+H before the S at the end of his air strings instead and don't remember it requiring any special timing so I'd give that a shot.

I'm an idiot. I meant to write d.H, or whatever that command normal is that directs a beam down-right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Nimdok posted:

Thanks for the advice. I tried out Doom/Sentinel/Skrull in arcade mode and you are right, the drones assist is very good for Doom. However, another problem that I've encountered in trying to play certain characters like Sentinel and Iron Man is that I can't seem to reliably connect MMHS in the air after a launch (for Iron Man MMHd.HS). I can do it just fine with all other characters I play, but something in particular about those two always seems to lead to me dropping it for unknown reasons. Is there a certain way I should position myself in the air when using Sentinel or Iron Man or am I just doinitwrong?

Addendum: How about Chris as a point character for Doom and Super Skrull? He seems pretty fun to play.

Sentinel's MMHS in the air requires a bit of timing. You can't spam MMHS as fast as you can press them, instead you have to wait for each hit to connect before pressing the next button. Also, as previously mentioned, you need to delay starting the air series a little bit after the superjump.

Iron Man is the opposite. You have to begin the MMHd.HS series as soon as possible. Something that might help you is to know that during the beginning part of the superjump when you can't attack yet you can buffer an attack. That is, you can press a button and it will come out as soon as you reach the height where it is allowed to come out. The point is that you don't have to worry about getting that timing down for when you can press M exactly correct, you just have to press M as soon as Iron Man enters the air. The buffering after a superjump thing works for all characters. It's also useful for Sentinel's more advanced combos and Nova's j.H combo.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Nimdok posted:

I got this game for PS3 about two weeks ago, and am having a lot of trouble in improving my game. I've been doing Mission mode almost every day, but the most advanced thing I can do is Dr. Doom's corner loop (3 rotations into lvl3 or rocks>sphere flame). It's really discouraging because while I realize that getting good at a fighting game takes time, I wanna be able to get up to a competent level as quickly as possible.

I'm having trouble deciding on a team too, since me being a noob I can't really visualize assist synergy very well. I know that I want to play Dr. Doom because he's awesome and foot dive, and I was thinking about using Super Skrull as an anchor but I have no idea who to use as a point character.

I guess what I'm asking for is general information about team synergy, helpful tutorials, and how to improve at fighting games.

If you're having execution problems, you're just going to have to grind it out in training mode until you get to where you want to be. Maybe turn on view inputs, look for what you're doing wrong, and work from there. As far as timing goes you'll probably have to experiment a bit.

Although it's creeping on two years old, you may want to take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMz3sHNv8Q It has a lot of good, general info, and even gets into MvC(3) metagame and theory at points. But the DHC glitch and probably other topics are covered that you'll have to disregard, so ymmv.

Regarding team synergy, look for videos, and mess around in training mode. Try to find ways your assists can extend your point character's combos, create resets or unblockable setups, like using an overhead attack and Wesker's gunshot assist, an example of an unblockable setup. Use Iron Man's beam assist to lockdown your opponent and triangle dash cross-up with Doom. Or Doom beam assist with Wolverine's Berserker Slash, which crosses up. Think of your team in terms of shells, or ideally as an overall unit, basically a single character. Choose assists that make your point character stronger by minimizing his or her weaknesses while maximizing his/her strengths. Vergil/beam/vajra (say Vergil/Doom/Strider) is a good example.

You can do a lot to improve at fighting games, but there's no substitute for playing. You can watch videos, read guides for the characters you want to play, or about aspects of the game you're struggling with, etc. Personally, I like to just play, and grind in training mode, practicing combos, mobility options, etc., playing online and learning as many characters as possible. Speaking of which, it wouldn't hurt to learn Magneto/Sentinel/Doom, the team Viscant from the video above recommends new players learn. Personally, I think learning Magneto will teach you Marvel, but that's just me. And play as many good players as possible, even if you can only do it online.

It's certainly not an overnight process though, and people have been playing this game for two years now so whatever happens, don't get discouraged.

Definitely stick with Skrull though, because he's pretty ridiculous. Chris has some killer stuff, but you may want to switch Skrull to point, and learn Strider on anchor, because Doom/Strider (vajra) is one of the best shells in the game. Look for videos of Clockwork, an MvC2 Strider/Doom player, playing Doom/Strider in UMvC3. I'd also recommend learning a teleport character, the more obvious choices being Vergil, and Wesker (Vergil). And consider learning Zero at some point.

Hope some of this helped.

JesusLovesRonwell fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 14, 2013

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

The best thing you can ever do to get good or understand how to get good at a fighting game is get involved at whatever local scene you have, as long as you show a willingness to learn and not get super salty about everything and run off in a huff all the time you'll slowly make friends who will be more than willing to help you out and they'll have a much easier time working out what you're having trouble with.

That said knowing how to do a basic combo that leads into a super with each character is pretty much a must, everything else you can wing it and learn as you go, then when you've got more of an idea of what's next on your to learn list you should ask here again how to best go about it, e.g. if you want to learn how to do incoming mixups with wolvie/doom we could tell you how to set up training mode and who's good who uses that combination and so on.

Nimdok
Dec 11, 2012
Thank you for all the info, guys. Very much appreciated.

I'll post back here again after (if) I've made some progress.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Who's a solid anchor for a Nova/Frank West team? I've heard Dante theoretically is really good but in practice I don't think I've ever seen that team used.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's only one character I know how to use at all. That character is Firebrand.

I haven't looked at too many videos but I haven't really seen him in pro play, is he low-tier or is he just a decent character who nobody really plays for some reason or another? Or have I just not been looking at the right videos? Also, what characters would go well with him?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
There's a few notable Firebrand players (Zak Bennett from the UK, especially).
Chris G also rocked a Firebrand team early on in Ultimate.

Firebrand certainly isn't a bad character, but he needs a specific team construction to be built around him in order to shine. That, and since he's a fairly unique character that takes some getting used means that not a lot of people have been willing to take the time to learn how to run a Firebrand team when you can just pick Vergil and mash buttons.
Also, he does extremely low damage, relying on resets and mix-up traps to finish off characters, which can also turn off many players.

Firebrand usually wants to be on point and absolutely needs a lockdown assist (Ammy Cold Star or Skrull Tenderizer for example) to set up his scary traps. The threat is that if Firebrand knocks off your first character by killing them or snapping them in the corner (and if you get a hit from Firebrand you should always be able to carry them to the corner) means that the incoming character is in a world of poo poo.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

The Dark Wind posted:

Who's a solid anchor for a Nova/Frank West team? I've heard Dante theoretically is really good but in practice I don't think I've ever seen that team used.

Frank/Dante is super strong, check out Bee. Roll + jam session too good.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Yeah Dante's about as good as it gets - if Nova bites it early a single hit/throw into THC will get Frank to level 4+

If someone snaps Dante in you can do the TAC camera -> DHC into Devil Trigger -> Raw tag camera to get to level 4 as well.

Nova will get a lot of mileage out of jam session too, though not as much as, say, drones.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The Dark Wind posted:

You can also go instant Frank West Lv5 (with 2 meter) with a Super Nova DHC (before last few hits) into Frank's Survival Techniques, then call Jam Session assist before snapping the camera to get 2 photos at 50+ combo. The timing is specific, but not that tight and very easily learned.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 16, 2013

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

agh quote is not edit.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

TheTofuShop posted:

You can also go instant Frank West Lv5 (with 2 meter) with a Super Nova DHC (before last few hits) into Frank's Survival Techniques, then call Jam Session assist before snapping the camera to get 2 photos at 50+ combo. The timing is specific, but not that tight and very easily learned.

You can just do this with Nova's ground bouncing dive kick assist, too, provided you didn't call Assist 1 during the combo beforehand (call Nova assist, Camera, DP+M, Camera).

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You can just do this with Nova's ground bouncing dive kick assist, too, provided you didn't call Assist 1 during the combo beforehand (call Nova assist, Camera, DP+M, Camera).

Hmm, after the Nova bounce assist can you do the hard knockdown DP Frank learns at level 3 and then follow that up with camera + jam session for a nasty reset/mixup (i.e. funny face hyper to catch a back roll)?

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World

Super Rad posted:

Hmm, after the Nova bounce assist can you do the hard knockdown DP Frank learns at level 3 and then follow that up with camera + jam session for a nasty reset/mixup (i.e. funny face hyper to catch a back roll)?

Nah the bounce doesn't last too long, you'll wanna either just get your level 5 or if you're close enough and have the bar super afterword with frank.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Boobs is Fun! posted:

Nah the bounce doesn't last too long, you'll wanna either just get your level 5 or if you're close enough and have the bar super afterword with frank.

Camera has less startup than Franks's DPs? I actually realized what I suggested wouldn't work because you'd be calling two assists too close to each other, but assuming Nova's bounce gives enough time (and that you didn't use the wall bounce rocket punch) you could maybe do Nova bounce -> Frank wall bounce -> delayed knee drop or hard knockdown DP.

If I had a PS3 with me I'd test that out right now - Nova's bounce assist is pretty short though.

I only ever use Frank on a Firebrand/Frank/Ammy team that I use to troll my lovely friends with.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Super Rad posted:

Camera has less startup than Franks's DPs? I actually realized what I suggested wouldn't work because you'd be calling two assists too close to each other, but assuming Nova's bounce gives enough time (and that you didn't use the wall bounce rocket punch) you could maybe do Nova bounce -> Frank wall bounce -> delayed knee drop or hard knockdown DP.

You can indeed call Nova, Camera, QCF+M, Knee Drop (or the DP+M but they do exactly the same damage/meter gain and I find the Knee Drop to be way easier,) Camera~Super(or dash back before the camera if you don't have enough meter to cancel into a super. You're actually minus frames on hit with the camera and if they neutral tech after a raw one they can mash light and punish...) You can also get crazy here and do the guaranteed FFC reset after getting your levels (Nova+camera -> double QCF+M if you didn't wallbounce in Nova's combo or single QFC+M if you did wallbounce.)

I play Nova/Frank/Ammy and it works out pretty well for me. Dante as already mentioned is a great choice for a few reasons. Ammy is great because Cold Star is amazing for locking down and chipping/combos/incoming mixups (just do the same thing Bee does with Jam Session really) plus she's a solid x-factor 3 anchor and has her retarded THC that lets Frank get to level 5 just like Dante's. I think most people would be best off putting either of them behind Nova/Frank depending on taste, or if you really like Arthur and/or feel like you absolutely need a full screen assist he can work very well anchoring them too because he has ways to level Frank and some comeback potential (way more if your opponent doesn't know all his gimmicks.)

There are options besides these 3 but I feel like these guys are the best anchors that also have a strong and reliable "insurance plan" on leveling Frank if your Nova gets bopped off first touch.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Anyone got any tricks for rapid-fire spell charging with Dormammu? Lots of folks can do it mid-combo but I can't

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Anyone got any tricks for rapid-fire spell charging with Dormammu? Lots of folks can do it mid-combo but I can't

Do you want tips on how to charge mid combo or how to charge then standalone? Because getting standalone charges is heavily matchup dependent. If you're facing anyone that can't teleport or has only decent mobility, you can run, lay carpet, charge and repeat, teleporting when necessary. This works better if you're backed by a fast horizontal assist.

Charging mid combo is heavily team and location specific though you can always get a charge in the corner using dark matter.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Also, what's Dormammu's best TAC combo? Do you have to do H, fly cancel, H, or H, fly cancel Dark Hole L, then H?

I'm not too reliant on TAC combos at the moment and I'm not certain I need to incorporate them. I want to learn Nova's infinite but....

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
I always use this TAC combo for Dormammu:

H xx fly, L > H xx Dark Hole L, H xx Dark Hole L, Then either S to finish the combo, another exchange, or delayed falling H and then L > H xx fly, ...(etc) if you're going to use it as his TAC infinite.

When you go into flight, you need to link into L for the rest of the combo to connect. H won't work as there's too much startup on it.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Something fun for the Doom players (I don't know if this is old but Honzo Gonzo just posted the video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G2XDY0-NVc

And for anyone else that likes reading Viscant talking about UMvC3, he posted on the Brokentier blog about Zero/Doom/Vergil as a team:
http://blog.brokentier.com/362/team-tutorials-volume-1-zerodoomvergil-part-1/
http://blog.brokentier.com/365/team-tutorials-volume-1-zerodoomvergil-part-2/

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Apparently Firebrand is moving up the tier list? I've heard him getting talked up a bit, but I've apparently missed the reasons why. Could any of you help to explain it to me?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

How the hell do you fight Viewtiful Joe? I've lost to two separate Joe's in tournament recently and it was because I couldn't even get near him before he wore my point character down (Nova) to death.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Use Doom's or Magneto's beam assist to stop Joe from jerkin around throwing vooms.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

kaujot posted:

Apparently Firebrand is moving up the tier list? I've heard him getting talked up a bit, but I've apparently missed the reasons why. Could any of you help to explain it to me?

People are finally playing him more seriously, AFAIK there hasn't been any new tech discovered. It's just like how people thought Morrigan was rear end for a long time until people (ChrisG) started putting in the work.\

Firebrand has excellent Ls, good projectiles, meter building, above-average mobility/mixups, and that unblockable. With X-Factor he's got easy kill loops too.

His damage is still total rear end though.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How the hell do you fight Viewtiful Joe? I've lost to two separate Joe's in tournament recently and it was because I couldn't even get near him before he wore my point character down (Nova) to death.

Nova needs to either advance slowly with qcf.H and assists to cover him, or you need to pick a good time to do a (very) predictive HST and neutralize all that poo poo on the screen. Having a DHC like spiral swords is amazing for when you screw up the timing on the HST too.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

kaujot posted:

90% of Firebrand moving up the tier list is just a joke about how Chris G picked him as his third character with Morridoom and won the GF of a major with him on the team (and pretty much doing nothing with him at all), afaik.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That and ApologyMan's Firebrand team, yeah. I certainly haven't seen anyone else using him, nor do I see a ton of reason to (aside from being fun, because he is).

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Hmm. Trying to remember where I heard this talk. Maybe I'm making it up!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Nah you're not making it up, I've also heard people on streams saying firebrand is underrated/good/secret top tier. I think it's mostly because of the team setups you can do to set up inescapable unblockables on incoming characters, which theoretically means you should be able to kill a whole team off 1 touch and there's literally nothing they can do about it provided you don't screw up.

Barring the fact that "don't screw up" is a pretty tall order when you have to execute something with fairly tight timing something like 5-10 times, I still don't buy that's enough to make Firebrand top tier. I mean, Iron Man could kill whole teams off a single touch in MvC2 and he still wasn't considered top 4.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Right when UMVC3 came out Chris G also talked about how Firebrand was good because he had a slow moving horizontal projectile in the air, allowing for a lot of space control.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
In theory, if your first character dies to Firebrand you probably ought to lose the rest of your team (2nd character gets guard broken, Firebrand pops XF and kills 2nd character fast enough to build enough meter to guard break and kill last character) unless you have an invincible air super like Sentinel or Morrigan.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I know dark hole and tenderizer both work for Firebrand's unblockable on incoming characters, but you can airdash out of those can't you? What assists give him the unblockable and can't be airdashed out of?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I know dark hole and tenderizer both work for Firebrand's unblockable on incoming characters, but you can airdash out of those can't you? What assists give him the unblockable and can't be airdashed out of?

Pretty sure Skrull's Pulverizer assist, if called at the right time, must be blocked on entry. I think you can just take the hit, but then all the Firebrand has to do is confirm instead of follow through with the unblockable, so either way, it's an extremely bad situation. I played Skinhoff a few times at NLBC and he did the Magneto infinite to build meter and then used the meter to set up guardbreaks into death with Spiderman. That's looking to be the future of this game more and more.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Taskmaster vertical arrows, but as mentioned above, tenderizer also has to be blocked incoming.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
Jam session would probably work as well. Even with the setups though, firebrand still has to work way too hard for damage for him to be anywhere near the top tier.

VigilantePrime fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 16, 2013

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

VigilantePrime posted:

Jam session would probably work as well. Even with the setups though, firebrand still has to work way too hard for damage for him to be anywhere near the top tier.

The issue is that even discounting his amazing mobility options, very good non-sword normals, how stupid bon Voyage is at winning most encounters, high lows, exceptional tools for resets, great dhc options, one of the best install hypers etc, he is currently the only character that can create a 'earn the first hit and win' team.

As 'hard' as it may be to maintain the loop, it works on 94% of the cast.
And if the team has morrigan, it can be meter neutral before we even account for XF.

No matter what, this will always remain a threat most players wish never becomes tangible.

If tiers were just about results or 1vs1 match-ups, he'd be lower, but with this in mind, he is 1 of the best.

Still, just the basic neutral tools I covered above make him a better character than Wolverine, IMO.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

JamMasterJim posted:

he is currently the only character that can create a 'earn the first hit and win' team.

Viper?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Focus Attack does not reach that high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Assuming someone had like Sako or Desk levels of execution and could consistently hit the Firebrand touch of death all the time, is there any reason Firebrand wouldn't be considered top tier? It sounds like in the hands of someone who has godlike levels of execution Firebrand is potentially a complete nightmare to deal with unless you counterpick with one of the few characters who can escape his ToD.

• Locked thread