Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Whatever we get, the avatar factory is kicking into high gear. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I could seriously stare at these artsy splash pages forever. This is lovely.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Actually I think that new avatar would be nice for Tea-san, he's had his old one for a long time now and it's his avatar within the comic, it just feels fitting. :)

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

But he never posts in the thread! How can the Avatar Fairy visit him if he doesn't put his old avatar under a pillow and hold it down as it struggles until it can't breathe anymore.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

and it's his avatar within the comic, it just feels fitting. :)

Tea's just a fourth-wall-breaking exposition character. Tom, if anything, is the shadowy figure in the background. He's in each of the break announcement pages and we never see his face.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 15, 2013

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Tea's just a fourth-wall-breaking exposition character. Tom, if anything, is the shadowy figure in the background. He's in each of the break announcement pages and we never see his face.

Pictured: Tom

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Bring on two weeks of City Face! :dance:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I always assumed Background Tea Guy was supposed to be him. Or sort-of-him.

Just for reference, the previous appearances:

I can't remember if I said this before, or just thought it, but what other comic is there where the artist taking a break for two weeks means we get more content rather than less?

(Also, I still love that that row-boat is called the Mary Celeste.)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Tom doesn't look like either of those people though.

From what I remember he actually looks sort of like a less chubby Guy Garvey.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yeah, I always assumed Background Tea Guy was supposed to be him. Or sort-of-him.

Just for reference, the previous appearances:

I can't remember if I said this before, or just thought it, but what other comic is there where the artist taking a break for two weeks means we get more content rather than less?

(Also, I still love that that row-boat is called the Mary Celeste.)

Eee!! I love seeing the evolution of the art laid out like that. The progression whenever I re-read the comics is just jaw-dropping.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fixed it for you :colbert:

faxmaster
Nov 1, 2004

I can see all of the colors.
I love how tom posts MORE comics when goes on break.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The improvement in Tom's art over the first three is quite impressive, the jump from three to four is absolutely stunning. There really isn't anything I can say besides Wow.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Seeing the art lined up like that is amazing. Today's page just seems like a huge step in quality, though. I mean drat.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Oh man, this page is beautiful, but it also reminds me of how cold it is outside and that's just the worst.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Gunnerkrigg Court posted:

April 1st huh? I'm a tad skeptical, but it's probably just a coincidence.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
I think that Tea in hospital scrubs is my favourite depiction of her so far, but this one is pretty incredible.

Thank you, Tom, for Gunnerkrigg Court. As soon as I can afford to I'll be buying all the books and my big dream is a Coyote commission for my living room wall. That's a big dream, though.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Tollymain posted:

Fixed it for you :colbert:

You know, it occurred to me when I saw today's splash page that the slight bags under her eyes makes her look like she's pretty worn out, as if she's been exerting herself for a long time. Now that I see them all together I'm wondering if the four images can be tied together into a narrative and it actually works. Never noticed it until now.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

A new comic every day for two weeks? :allears:

Wonder if they'll all be pages of comics, or if there will be one or two updates of standalone art? I would love a random page of Coyote/Ysengrin/Renard in the ether, for example, or just pages of Coyote doing his thing. Or Jones. Looking forward to the new City Face strips, of which I'm sure there will be at least a few. Mort is okay and all, but he doesn't quite reach pigeon levels of awesome.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Can't wait for the epic sequel in Cityface's career. Thank you Tom for such a great story and great art.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

Can't wait for the epic sequel in Cityface's career. Thank you Tom for such a great story and great art.

Man, I thought it was going to be a prequel.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Cityface?

Mort?

No. Give us two weeks of Boxbot. :colbert:

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I love how Tea-san's art continues to improve, grow more expressive, and become more beautiful. :allears:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Good news everyone!

quote:

@gunnerkrigg

Well now! It seems as though Vol 2 has sold out over at Topatoco again...

oh wait now that means no one else can buy any :sigh:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Man, I thought it was going to be a prequel.

Gritty reboot. City Face Begins.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Drunk Canuck posted:

Good news everyone!

Well they only had 200 copies, what did they think was gonna happen

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Good news everyone!

3 days. They got 200 copies 3 days ago and they're all gone. If any of you don't have volume 2 or are waiting to get the books when you can get them all let this be a lesson to you, strike when the iron is hot.

Also I'm sorta hoping for a week of City Face and a week of that Annie of the Forest Gaiden thing, but I'm guessing that's not done yet. Maybe just a week of Kat trying to deal with the love letter. Although 2 weeks of City Face would be more than acceptable.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Brightman posted:

Also I'm sorta hoping for a week of City Face and a week of that Annie of the Forest Gaiden thing, but I'm guessing that's not done yet. Maybe just a week of Kat trying to deal with the love letter. Although 2 weeks of City Face would be more than acceptable.

Compromise: City Face in the Forest

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

City Face's cousin Forest Face.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Bongo Bill posted:

City Face's cousin Forest Face.

Country Face. :colbert:

He doesn't know anything about business nor bagels. :(

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
I must be the only person on Earth who had more than my fill of City Face and "WACKY ZANY PIGEON TALK! :iamafag:" after the first go-'round. :(

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Brightman posted:

3 days. They got 200 copies 3 days ago and they're all gone. If any of you don't have volume 2 or are waiting to get the books when you can get them all let this be a lesson to you, strike when the iron is hot.

I don't mind getting them one at a time, but it would look kind of weird if I had Volume 2 but not Volume 1. :geno:

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

I must be the only person on Earth who had more than my fill of City Face and "WACKY ZANY PIGEON TALK! :iamafag:" after the first go-'round. :(

You are correct about this.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

You're not the only one.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Nah, I agree with you. There doesn't seem to be a lot of use in posting "I'm just not into this stuff. :geno:" But it's not hurting anything so whatever. I mean, it's not like two weeks of City Face is going to stop me from reading the comic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Man, this is the Boxbot Appreciation Station or Grinches Anonymous? It's two weeks of filler about a naïve pigeon. It doesn't have any ambition to be more than that. It's cute, clever, and candid. And it's better than the site just not updating for a fortnight.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

You are a heartless business executive if you don't enjoy City Face. :colbert:

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Do we even know if its going to be City Face? It could be two weeks of Boxbot's Amazing Adventures.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Man, this is the Boxbot Appreciation Station or Grinches Anonymous? It's two weeks of filler about a naïve pigeon. It doesn't have any ambition to be more than that. It's cute, clever, and candid. And it's better than the site just not updating for a fortnight.

Annoying replies like this are another reason. Sorry that people don't enjoy the same things as you Cat Mattress, but no one is attacking City Face for being some horrible, ugly abomination that the site would be better off without. It's fine for what it is and it's good that people do find it an enjoyable draw, but there are possibilities other than "City Face" and "Not Updating."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Actually I think that new avatar would be nice for Tea-san, he's had his old one for a long time now and it's his avatar within the comic, it just feels fitting. :)
But I want it. :goleft: I guess I'll stick with Vriska for now.