Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

slowbeef posted:

Yeah, if it's easily available on Amazon (i.e. not through a reseller who'll charge like crazy amounts), it's not cool to post. Sorry.

Amazon.co.jp though -- this one -- which apparently is completely incompatible with my Amazon.com account that works on every other Amazon site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Amazon.co.jp though -- this one -- which apparently is completely incompatible with my Amazon.com account that works on every other Amazon site.

I have ordered straight from Amazon.co.jp before with little trouble, but only once -- the second time I attempted to, they overcharged me and then said 'whoops your credit card's not compatible!!!' I never got my money back from it, and I had to order what I wanted at CDJapan (which is what I was trying to avoid since their price was higher at the time.) You'd probably have to use a middleman service, if you don't mind paying extra fees for it.

Come to think of it, I'm kind of surprised the soundtrack isn't on CDJapan, considering almost everything else is (both games and several manga volumes are there, as well as a bunch of shirts and other toys.)

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Eh... I'll run it by the mod forum, but we usually only do exceptions for out-of-print stuff or resellers. Is it available anywhere else? Like Japanese iTunes and such?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

slowbeef posted:

Eh... I'll run it by the mod forum, but we usually only do exceptions for out-of-print stuff or resellers. Is it available anywhere else? Like Japanese iTunes and such?

It's not on iTunes, but I never had a problem ordering from amazon.co.jp. They even allow you to change the site's interface to English.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
So far this game has used a lot of the same music as the first game, are there enough new tracks to make the OST worthwhile?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Worth it for Monomi's theme alone, I'd say.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
If not Amazon.jp, then CD-Japan or Kinokuniya. There are tons of ways to get import CDs nowadays; you just might have to deal with the price of importing.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Sorry about that, then. It won't happen again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kanfy posted:

So far this game has used a lot of the same music as the first game, are there enough new tracks to make the OST worthwhile?

I think it came up earlier in the thread that the OST in question is 3 discs covering both games.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Kinda sucks for those of us that bought the first one, then.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Alright, I can just wait for the end of the game to think of ordering the soundtrack. I don't want to spoil myself with track titles like I know was a thing in the original.

Radian Angle
Oct 29, 2012
Riches and hoards.

Radian Angle fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 15, 2013

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
What would be nice though is if there were a tracklist with the titles in English (without the :filez:, of course). The problem with getting a Japanese copy is that all the titles are in Japanese, and while it's not essential it'd be nice to put them in a language I can actually read.

I've looked but cannot seem to find any.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
I was curious to see how you guys were going to handle subtitles this time - best of luck, HelloWinter! I pray for your sanity when we get into some of the longer videos, it took me ages to subtitle the last trial of the first game.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
edit: didn't pay attention

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bishop Rodan posted:

What would be nice though is if there were a tracklist with the titles in English (without the :filez:, of course). The problem with getting a Japanese copy is that all the titles are in Japanese, and while it's not essential it'd be nice to put them in a language I can actually read.

I've looked but cannot seem to find any.

VGMDB?

I didn't look at the soundtracks themselves for spoiler concerns, but this site is pretty much the biggest game soundtrack database and they usually list the song titles in English.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Yay! Trial phase was the best part of DR1, and it's somehow even better now! Mahiru's interjection was awesome, and the evidence bullets becoming EVIDENCE SWORDS was MAGICAL. :allears:
I like that most of the cast so far seems actively helpful and not dead weight being dragged along kicking and screaming by the protagonist. Well, Kuryuzuu and Saonji are mostly just being huge jerks, and Akane is a total meathead, and Ibuki is manic, but other than that, a pretty rational group. Well, and Hanamura's not being helpful, but that is because he's the killer.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Spatula City posted:

Yay! Trial phase was the best part of DR1, and it's somehow even better now! Mahiru's interjection was awesome, and the evidence bullets becoming EVIDENCE SWORDS was MAGICAL. :allears:
I like that most of the cast so far seems actively helpful and not dead weight being dragged along kicking and screaming by the protagonist. Well, Kuryuzuu and Saonji are mostly just being huge jerks, and Akane is a total meathead, and Ibuki is manic, but other than that, a pretty rational group. Well, and Hanamura's not being helpful, but that is because he's the killer.

I'm very pleased with the cast this time around. They seem all around smarter, but not just that. Their abilities actually seem to play more into the investigation and their character. Ibuki is strange, but far from useless. I mean, didn't she use her musician ears to identify voices? That's great. I don't know, the cast and their personalities seem to be a huge improvement. Not that I didn't like Leon and Mondo and the crew. But this guys are pretty awesome.

E: Besides Mahiru is totally the killer, not Iron Goon Chef.

BattleJenkins
Feb 21, 2013
I'm enjoying the new cast for SDR2 as well, despite how much I miss all our pals from the first game. With DR0, though, I find myself really disliking every new character more and more as they come. Really, I would rather have Hagakure the Book at this point. Written by Hagakure himself. "the adventurs of yasuhiro hagakure and frend chiken"

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
You can disable download links on Tindeck for the record. It's basically just a flash player for the music at that point. You'll need to manually disable every song though.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I didn't look at the soundtracks themselves for spoiler concerns, but this site is pretty much the biggest game soundtrack database and they usually list the song titles in English.

Just to make things clear - some track names do indeed contain spoilers, and at least one of the tracks themselves is very spoilery too. The track list at amazon actually stars out the spoilers.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

orenronen posted:

Just to make things clear - some track names do indeed contain spoilers, and at least one of the tracks themselves is very spoilery too. The track list at amazon actually stars out the spoilers.

So you mean that the music itself is a spoiler?

Huh. How does that come about?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think you want to know, seeing as it's a spoiler.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Maybe the lyrics are just "So-and-so is the mastermind" over and over.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

yaoi prophet posted:

Maybe the lyrics are just "So-and-so is the mastermind" over and over.

Or maybe the character themes get remixed with Monobear's?

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think you want to know, seeing as it's a spoiler.

Well, no, of course I don't. I'm just trying to figure out how it works. I suppose it must be something along the line of what Gensuki said, but then again, I don't think there are character themes, anyway.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The first soundtrack had execution themes. The second probably does as well.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

4th Asclepiadean posted:

Easily possible. If I recall it happened in the Deadly Premonition LP, where the combination of the title and the tone of the music made a plot twist pretty obvious.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I'm 99% sure I'm right, so I'm spoilering my reasoning. I probably missed one or two details, but I think it more or less went down like this:

What we have here is not one plot, but two: one failed, one successful. Nagito originally planned on killing someone by planting a knife underneath the table, causing the blackout, then grabbing the knife and doing the deed before anyone could figure out what was happening. The glow-in-the-dark tape was intended to make it easier for him to find it in pitch blackness. But the real culprit discovered the knife and timers while he was doing his own set-up work for the party, and he hatched a plan. He wouldn't have to consider himself a villain if he killed someone who was actually trying to murder someone else, right? Killing a killer is no sin. He'd be downright heroic for doing so, in fact! So he left the knife as it was and concocted his own plan. During set-up he discovered it was possible to get underneath the floorboards through a secret entryway in the bathroom. With the right implement, it would be easy for him to stab upwards through the floorboard and kill anyone who tried to take the knife. Such as, say, a skewer.

The culprit locked the bathroom to make absolutely sure he could get in when he needed to; it would be a disaster if it was occupied at the critical moment! He then hid a skewer so he'd be able to get at it when he needed to, along with an extra tablecloth. He needed to use it as a tarp; the blood would drip directly down on top of him, marking him for sure unless he had something to shield him. Then he calmly awaited the fated moment.

So, fast forward to the blackout. Nagito has hovered around the table where he planted the knife, waiting for his chance. The moment the lights go out he springs into action, pulling up the tablecloth so he can get at the knife. But he didn't plan for Togami's night-vision goggles. He sees Nagito acting suspiciously and darts across the room as fast as his legs could carry him. Nagito isn't fast enough and is knocked aside. Togami crawls under the table and grabs the knife, and the culprit underneath the floorboards can't see the glowing tape anymore. There's somebody between him and the tape! His chance! He stabs several times, and the deed is done. Meanwhile, Nagito hears Togami getting exsanguinated and realizes with horror that if the lights come back on now, he'll be the prime suspect! He panics and pulls the tablecloth over Togami, hiding the body for the precious few seconds he needs to get away. He puts distance between himself and the table and knocks into Mikan, putting her into that... position. The culprit realizes belatedly that once everyone figures out the attack came from below that everyone in the dining room will be exonerated. He calls out to make sure everyone can hear him, making his alibi secure. But his fatal flaw was not knowing about the fire door! From the culprit's original place, there's no way he could have entered the dining room. After all, the fire door cuts off the kitchen from the dining room. The only way he could have gotten to that room is under the floor, placing him right where the murder was committed, right when the murder was committed.

So? Have I left anything out... true culprit Hanamura-san?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Why on earth did you spoil speculation that has been rehashed dozens of times?

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Aw, let the guy be proud of himself :shobon:

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

Why on earth did you spoil speculation that has been rehashed dozens of times?

Most of it has been mentioned before, yes, but I have not yet seen anyone put the individual components together into one clear and, more importantly, cohesive timeline of events. It may have happened and I just didn't see it (I start skimming about a page or two after the updates, when discussion tends to wander a bit), and if so I apologize.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'd spoil unironically using -san too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I'd spoil unironically using -san too.

And from a :regd08:, too. You should know better, sempai. :colbert:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

TheArchimage posted:

Most of it has been mentioned before, yes, but I have not yet seen anyone put the individual components together into one clear and, more importantly, cohesive timeline of events.
When you get all the pieces right, they can generally put themselves together. Nobody's really shown the whole thing so far since the most important part was solving all the pieces and their relationships to eachother. The narrative flows from that.

4th Asclepiadean posted:

Monogirl: Hiya, Chiaki! Hi Hinata! You wanna have a week of mutual killing? Sure Hinata! Let's go! I'm a monogirl, in a monoworld...

I'm curious how exactly the music itself is going to be a spoiler as well. It should be lots of fun. A year from now.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The OST to Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace was a spoiler. Months before the movie came out people flipped over the CD case and saw the second to last track Qui-Gon's Noble End. It was nice of John Williams to let us know not to give a poo poo about that particular character ahead of time.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 16, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Twiddy posted:

I'm curious how exactly the music itself is going to be a spoiler as well. It should be lots of fun. A year from now.

I'm guessing it's something like Versailles Burning at the Stake Witch Hunt Preparations from the last game, only even more obvious.

edit: The bathroom has nothing to do with the murder, the secret entrance must be in the storage room where Nagito didn't want us to snoop around too much for whatever drat reason. Peko coincidentally became sick all on her own.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 16, 2013

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

tiistai posted:

I'm guessing it's something like Versailles Burning at the Stake Witch Hunt Preparations from the last game, only even more obvious.

Great, now I'm expecting a track with a name along the lines of "Boil Vigorously at 5000oC" for Hanamura's execution theme.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

tiistai posted:

edit: The bathroom has nothing to do with the murder, the secret entrance must be in the storage room where Nagito didn't want us to snoop around too much for whatever drat reason. Peko coincidentally became sick all on her own.

The game made far too much noise about when the bathroom was available for it to be completely irrelevant, and there isn't anyone who could have been in the bathroom from the time of the murder to the time the body was discovered. Also, that Gundam was unable to retrieve his earring until Nidai left the bathroom is significant.

Pekoyama being sick likely is a red herring. She took a plate of food randomly, so it was impossible to target her specifically. Given how much Togami ate, it was also likely impossible for Pekoyama to be randomly poisoned while avoiding giving Togami "any trace of poison or other drugs". It would be possible to selectively "poison" Pekoyama by slipping a food allergy into the meal, but even if she does have one it's unlikely Hanamura or anyone else knows about it and even if they did why bother? There's no motive for going to all that effort just to upset her digestive tract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

TheArchimage posted:

I'm 99% sure I'm right, so I'm spoilering my reasoning. I probably missed one or two details, but I think it more or less went down like this:

I mostly like everything you brought up, except I'm wondering who Nagito planned to murder. Or for that matter, how. I mean, what's his plan in that theory? Find the knife, and then just blindly start stabbing?

• Locked thread