Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
poo poo, and I use Newsify too. Grrr. Is Feedly any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
This is going to gently caress up how I use flipboard.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The Hebug posted:

Have they managed to figure out whatever recent changes killed the ability for it to smartly switch whether it pushes messages to your desktop client or mobile client depending on which was last active? I stopped using it a few months ago because it was always pushing messages to both so my phone wouldn't stop vibrating while I was chatting over my PC.

This functionality works fine for me - as soon as I respond to chat messages on my PC it stops pushing them to my iPad. Maybe try logging out/in, or uninstalling and reinstalling?

And wow, Google killed off Reader? I haven't used it in a couple of years but that was one of their most useful products.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Pissflaps posted:

This is going to gently caress up how I use flipboard.

Then you're using Flipboard wrong. It's a great app but a pretty terrible RSS reader IMO

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Maybe you guys would like http://theoldreader.com/

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Neurophonic posted:

So Google just killed Reader, anybody got suggestions for an alternative that doesn't suck and will be a good choice for future support in Reeder or a similar app?

I know we have til July 1st but god drat I am freaking out right now.

The app or the whole service? Dammit why :arghfist:

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

If it had an API for apps to poll from, yes.

http://blog.feedly.com/2013/03/14/google-reader/ hopefully they'll make this public or available for other devs to use.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Any reason you don't want to use Feedly? I've never used it. I wouldn't count on them making it public though as it seems like a competitive advantage right now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
If there are any Downcast users still on iOS 4 you shouldn't update past today's release.

Hopefully this means a nice juicy UI overhaul or new features for the rest of us.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Then you're using Flipboard wrong. It's a great app but a pretty terrible RSS reader IMO

Flipboard works great as a RSS reader if you use Google Reader integration. Otherwise... Not so much.

The Batman
Sep 11, 2001

The Dark Knight

Kingnothing posted:

Flipboard works great as a RSS reader if you use Google Reader integration. Otherwise... Not so much.

RIP Google Reader.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Google is killing Reader because gently caress you, that's why.

For a good alternative, check out NewsBlur. You might have some trouble with it not loading or being slow right now, though. Their servers are getting bombarded with traffic.

And yes, they have iPhone/iPad app.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Frankston posted:

Are there any good apps for revising math? I'm applying for college and I have an assessment in two weeks time but my maths is rusty (read: terrible) as hell, due to not using it at all since I left school 9 years ago. I'm talking fractions, decimals, ratios, area, volume, formulae, equations etc. I have books but honestly I have a hard time picking up a book whereas I'm always using my iPad.
http://products.wolframalpha.com/mobile/#wapowered

Lexicon posted:

Any recommendations for a podcast app that is specifically good for listening to back catalog episodes? Instacast really doesn't handle this use case well.... It mostly seems to be written under the assumption you are listening to current episodes. I really want a convenient way to listen to, and keep track of old [EconTalk and Hypercritical] episodes.
Seconding this. Coming from Android, it's cool having really great podcast discovery built in, but I'm really missing the Robustness of Doggcatcher. Haven't tried the quoted instacast although it looks like its not much better than default.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I'm using Feedly now and I quite like it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Making the switch to The Old Reader. The page seems to look well enough on iPad so that's fine.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm just wondering what Reeder is gonna do, since I have it on all my devices (macbook, iphone, ipad) and am really hoping it'll have a way to easily move subscriptions or what have you.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

Jefferoo posted:

I'm just wondering what Reeder is gonna do, since I have it on all my devices (macbook, iphone, ipad) and am really hoping it'll have a way to easily move subscriptions or what have you.

The Reeder twitter account merely stated "Reeder won't die with Google Reader".

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

Obviously they're going to have to do something, I just hope that whatever solution they come up with lets you synchronise across devices. Maybe it's time to check out Feedly.

I wonder if Google will change their mind on this one, the reaction has been pretty negative so far.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

LitigiousChimp posted:

I wonder if Google will change their mind on this one, the reaction has been pretty negative so far.

Google doesn't care.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Feenix posted:

Google doesn't care.

Reader has always been a weird stepchild that Google has no idea what to do with. It's also my favorite service they do by miles and miles.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

EC posted:

Reader has always been a weird stepchild that Google has no idea what to do with. It's also my favorite service they do by miles and miles.

Probably because they generally haven't hosed around with it a whole lot since its release. The blessing and curse of Google Reader.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Having Google Reader manage RSS feeds, outputting a single source to feed into flipboard that amalgamates all the content i'm interested in into one 'stream' is using Flipboard right. It works great.

Although this seems to suggest that flipboard stores your Google Reader feeds so maybe it won't be a problem. Might be a bit more fussy managing RSS feeds on the ipad though.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 14, 2013

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

Probably because they generally haven't hosed around with it a whole lot since its release. The blessing and curse of Google Reader.

Well, they gutted the sharing and comment features a few years back in favor of G+, making them one of the few companies to gut their existing social network while trying to build a new one. loving insanity.

I just realized this probably isn't the thread for this, though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

RSS readers have been too dependent on Google Reader for a long time now. Google Reader is essentially the only platform for syncing RSS subscriptions across different clients. That's not really a good situation, especially since Google hasn't seemed to care about Reader in years. Now that they're shutting it down (with a pretty good amount of advanced notice) we're sure to see a bunch of replacements pop up. Ultimately it's probably for the best that it's shutting down.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I've used Feeddler since the day I got my iPad. I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone else though, so maybe it's a vastly inferior app, and I've been missing out.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

I already use Fever with Reeder. It's okay. I think the app needs work but it's a good alternative to Google Reader

http://www.feedafever.com/

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

RSS readers have been too dependent on Google Reader for a long time now. Google Reader is essentially the only platform for syncing RSS subscriptions across different clients. That's not really a good situation, especially since Google hasn't seemed to care about Reader in years. Now that they're shutting it down (with a pretty good amount of advanced notice) we're sure to see a bunch of replacements pop up. Ultimately it's probably for the best that it's shutting down.

As I posted before, I think everyone should take a look at NewsBlur. It's very much like Google Reader, as it's hosted and can sync your feeds between devices. It's also open source, so if it disappeared for whatever reason, it would be easy enough for someone else to take over, or you could even run it yourself.

It can be used for free, but there is a paid option as well ($12/year).

It's a bit unstable/unreachable right now though, due to the overwhelming traffic they're receiving. But everyone looking for a Google Reader replacement should bookmark it for future reference once the traffic surge evens out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I just got through the line for Mailbox after like, a month. It's ok.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

So I just got through the line for Mailbox after like, a month. It's ok.

They just got absorbed by dropbox so there's that: https://blog.dropbox.com/2013/03/welcome-mailbox/

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The "people behind you" counter is ticking a lot faster now because of this I think.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

PaganGoatPants posted:

They just got absorbed by dropbox so there's that: https://blog.dropbox.com/2013/03/welcome-mailbox/

Odd acquisition.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

The "people behind you" counter is ticking a lot faster now because of this I think.

I think it's also shrunk down. I think it used to be 700,000+ in line but now it's only around 500,000.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That many people still? drat. I just gave up after a while, not that important.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

That many people still? drat. I just gave up after a while, not that important.

I just started it and then ignored it until yesterday when I found I was at like, 10k left. And I got through that in less than a day.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

PaganGoatPants posted:

Huh that's weird. Snapjoy made sense for them to buy, but Mailbox? Weird...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

the kawaiiest posted:

Huh that's weird. Snapjoy made sense for them to buy, but Mailbox? Weird...

Well see they're both two syllable words that end in "box" so it's actually a perfect fit.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Opened mailbox after forgetting about it forever; it's neat and snappy, even if I don't care for their 0-inbox system.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
Mailbox is not a terrible idea, but the way it completely disregards Gmail labels made it useless for me.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

duckfarts posted:

Opened mailbox after forgetting about it forever; it's neat and snappy, even if I don't care for their 0-inbox system.

I love the 0 inbox system. If you've ever read 'Getting Things Done' by David Allen you'll see how it ties in almost perfectly with his productivity system.

But on a Mailbox related note; why can't Mailbox use the lists I currently have set up on the browser version of Gmail? The stock app seems to manage it. Is there a a way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I'm too sketched out by the idea of a startup MITMing my gmail, no matter how great the app is.

I suppose if Dropbox owns it, that will make me trust it a bit more.

• Locked thread