Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FCKGW posted:

Terabyte tuesday is back.
1.1TB for $38

http://newsgroupdirect.com/terabyte-tuesday

Cool, thanks. What the heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
On the subject of NAS talk, I'm running a Zyxel NSA325. They're going really, really cheap at the moment for a bare enclosure (can be had for as little as £60 here in the UK)
It does RAID like most nas enclosures although I'm just running it with the one drive. Its got alot of home media features that I actually bought it for like Squeezeserver, but it turns out you can even hack SABnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato onto it:

http://www.nas-stuff.co.uk/complete-guide-to-installing-sabnzbd-sickbeard-and-couchpotato-on-a-zyxel-nsa-310-using-ffp-stick/

Its got a bunch of other cool features I will never use too like remote dropbox, remote torrenting, making it a "cloud" thing for your phone, RSS, FTP and whatever other things it does

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 13, 2013

Trash Heap
Dec 26, 2002

Ask me about transforming into a semi and trucking over defenses.
I now have a Zotac AD12 (HTPC) running openELEC and XBMC. The entire OS is running on an 8GB USB thumb drive, and there is currently no SSD installed.

Relevant AD12 specs:

code:
CPU: AMD E2-1800 APU 1.7 GHz Dual-Core
RAM: 4GB
On board video: AMD Radeon HD 7340
Apparently, you can install the SABnzbd-Suite (SABNZBd, Sickbeard & Couchpotato) on openELEC/XBMC. This is highly desirable for me, because wireless streaming from my desktop PC to this HTPC causes a lot of buffering when streaming some videos.

So, have any of you run these applications on openELEC, and if so, is installing/running these apps on this USB drive OK? I'm not exactly sure what the limiting factors are with processing NZB files is. Is it CPU/RAM? Disk IO? I plan on hooking up a 3TB HD (in an enclosure) to serve as the library.

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I need to install a 32/64 GB SSD to handle all this automation. Thoughts?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Trash Heap posted:

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I need to install a 32/64 GB SSD to handle all this automation. Thoughts?

Wouldn't you need a lot more than that to store all the media? Or am I not getting something here?

You might also be able to use something like this to get a stronger wireless connection, no?

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-150Mbps-Wireless-USB-Adapter/dp/B002RM08RE/ref=zg_bs_490499011_1

Trash Heap
Dec 26, 2002

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Wouldn't you need a lot more than that to store all the media? Or am I not getting something here?

You might also be able to use something like this to get a stronger wireless connection, no?

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-150Mbps-Wireless-USB-Adapter/dp/B002RM08RE/ref=zg_bs_490499011_1

Yeah, I want to store all the data on an external 3TD drive hooked up to the AD-12 either through USB 3.0 or eSATA. I just want to know if I need a hard drive (or some other storage) to run all this usenet automation. I have no frame of reference as SABNZBd and Sickbeard are running on my gaming rig which has specs I am sure are not required for this purpose. Plus, I'd like to take that activity off of my primary PC.

I wonder if my wireless problems are due to either the antenna that came with my AD-12 or the Rosewill USB antenna I have on my pc where the media is stored. It's sort of depressing considering I just bought a pretty good router, the Netgear r6300.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys
You're going to bottleneck pretty hard on disk IO when unpacking rars. Throw in any old POS hard drive as scratch space.

Edit: not to mention you'll need more space than that for BR rips.

Trash Heap
Dec 26, 2002

Morkai posted:

You're going to bottleneck pretty hard on disk IO when unpacking rars. Throw in any old POS hard drive as scratch space.

Edit: not to mention you'll need more space than that for BR rips.

OK, so a 32/64GB SSD should suffice, yes? It won't cost me that much and should also be the most "bang for the buck" when it comes to IO performance.

It's easy as hell to get openELEC up and running, so a reinstall is maybe 15 minutes worth of work.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Trash Heap posted:

I now have a Zotac AD12 (HTPC) running openELEC and XBMC. The entire OS is running on an 8GB USB thumb drive, and there is currently no SSD installed.

Relevant AD12 specs:

code:
CPU: AMD E2-1800 APU 1.7 GHz Dual-Core
RAM: 4GB
On board video: AMD Radeon HD 7340
Apparently, you can install the SABnzbd-Suite (SABNZBd, Sickbeard & Couchpotato) on openELEC/XBMC. This is highly desirable for me, because wireless streaming from my desktop PC to this HTPC causes a lot of buffering when streaming some videos.

So, have any of you run these applications on openELEC, and if so, is installing/running these apps on this USB drive OK? I'm not exactly sure what the limiting factors are with processing NZB files is. Is it CPU/RAM? Disk IO? I plan on hooking up a 3TB HD (in an enclosure) to serve as the library.

If you are running OpenELEC I think you want this? http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Add-on:SABnzbd-Suite

I haven't had time to try it myself, but I've seen some posts in the forums indicating it might be sort of iffy.

Edit: Maybe they are the same thing?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Trash Heap posted:

OK, so a 32/64GB SSD should suffice, yes? It won't cost me that much and should also be the most "bang for the buck" when it comes to IO performance.

It's easy as hell to get openELEC up and running, so a reinstall is maybe 15 minutes worth of work.

Honestly even a 80GB 5400rpm 2.5" drive would be enough. Unless you need everything unpacked now it will work fine. If most of your downloads will be automatic you won't even notice the wait.

I have everything save to a 2.5" drive locally, then had it stored on a 1TB USB HDD, now it saves it on a NAS.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
That's what I use and it works pretty well. I do all the downloading and unpacking in my AD10 with external hard drives as the final file destination. OpenELEC is installed in an old laptop HDD where temporary downloaded files are being stored by SABNZBd before being removed after the unpacking. I use NZBUnity on my phone to track the status of these programs. You can also use a normal PC/laptop to access it remotely. The only thing I need to setup is accessing the Suite wherever I am. The good goons here presented good tutorials. I just need to find some time to set it up. I also need a not-poo poo router that can assign static DHCP to my AD10 box because it changes all the drat time and fucks up my bookmarks/NZBUnity to access the Suite.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Trash Heap posted:

If you make sure all your temp directories and final storage directories are off of the SSD, you should be fine. If your temp directories are on the SSD, you may run into space issues with larger downloads, but you may get away with it. I don't think you will gain much speed and I don't think it's too rough on the SSD, so it seems like a wash and I would move them personally.

That said, your unpacking is going to be heavily limited and you won't be able to use the machine while unpacking. If I'm watching a video on my HTPC that is being streamed from my NAS (where all my apps are running) and it grabs something, my video will lockup while the NAS chews through the file. Not sure if it is disk i/o bound or what (i/o bound would make since) and I can probably fix it with 'nice' but meh. Happens rarely enough and it's a good thing (Oh the video stopped! Fu... oh wait, its just downloading something and everything is fine again, yay!) so it's not that bothersome for me, but keep in mind that it will bring your HTPC to it's knees while doing processing and you and/or your users may not appreciate the wait.

EDIT: VVVV That ought to work too. Once you run the apps (they are fairly complex python applications) they just sit in memory doing their thing so it doesn't really matter where they come from. It mostly matters where all the files they create go. For instance, my usenet machine runs off of a thumb drive, but I have mountpoints on my big storage array for all the tmp poo poo (logs, temporary downloads, unpack directories, finished downloads, etc) so they go onto a large spinning disk and don't chew through the limited space on the thumb drive.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 13, 2013

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I don't understand why he can't just run the applications on the memory stick and use cache and completed directories on the external HDD.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys
If the external storage used for temp/unpack space is USB that's probably fine. If it's going back and forth over the LAN for downloading, unpacking, and final storage a single movie could take all day,

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So I need to actually read through and search newsgroup posts from the late 90s/early 2000s for a research project, and Google Groups's blog-style interface is killing me. Is there a good program that will download text posts in bulk and let me run date, keyword, and author searches?

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I need to actually read through and search newsgroup posts from the late 90s/early 2000s for a research project, and Google Groups's blog-style interface is killing me. Is there a good program that will download text posts in bulk and let me run date, keyword, and author searches?

You might have luck with forte free agent (free 30 day trial, otherwise 30 bucks)

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You could try Mozilla's Thunderbird.

Trash Heap
Dec 26, 2002

Bottom line is that when my PC is downloading files, I figured it was saturating my wireless throughput, because the streaming from PC to HTPC was buffering every five seconds or just flat out not working.

I assumed moving all the automation and media to the HTPC would correct this problem, but according to Delta-Wye's post, I may be screwed any time I'm downloading/unpacking files. Have to see I guess.

Sleepstupid posted:

If you are running OpenELEC I think you want this? http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Add-on:SABnzbd-Suite

I haven't had time to try it myself, but I've seen some posts in the forums indicating it might be sort of iffy.

Edit: Maybe they are the same thing?

Yes, that is the add-on suite I linked in my post. I've had sabnzbd and sickbeard configured and running on my windows 7 pc. A brief look at the 'suite' for the openELEC add-on seems to indicate the automation experience should be similar. I suppose experimenting with it is the only way to know.

Morkai posted:

If the external storage used for temp/unpack space is USB that's probably fine. If it's going back and forth over the LAN for downloading, unpacking, and final storage a single movie could take all day,

Yes, my LAN (which is totally wireless) is insufficient at times for even streaming from PC -> router -> HTPC. I takes hours to transfer files from my PC to an external drive directly attached to my router. It is quite discouraging considering I upgraded my router to a faster model with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. I was sort of shocked this would happen given that all 3 devices are on the same floor, and my router is supposedly very good.

Delta-Wye posted:

If you make sure all your temp directories and final storage directories are off of the SSD, you should be fine. If your temp directories are on the SSD, you may run into space issues with larger downloads, but you may get away with it. I don't think you will gain much speed and I don't think it's too rough on the SSD, so it seems like a wash and I would move them personally.

That said, your unpacking is going to be heavily limited and you won't be able to use the machine while unpacking. If I'm watching a video on my HTPC that is being streamed from my NAS (where all my apps are running) and it grabs something, my video will lockup while the NAS chews through the file. Not sure if it is disk i/o bound or what (i/o bound would make since) and I can probably fix it with 'nice' but meh. Happens rarely enough and it's a good thing (Oh the video stopped! Fu... oh wait, its just downloading something and everything is fine again, yay!) so it's not that bothersome for me, but keep in mind that it will bring your HTPC to it's knees while doing processing and you and/or your users may not appreciate the wait.

EDIT: VVVV That ought to work too. Once you run the apps (they are fairly complex python applications) they just sit in memory doing their thing so it doesn't really matter where they come from. It mostly matters where all the files they create go. For instance, my usenet machine runs off of a thumb drive, but I have mountpoints on my big storage array for all the tmp poo poo (logs, temporary downloads, unpack directories, finished downloads, etc) so they go onto a large spinning disk and don't chew through the limited space on the thumb drive.

I was planning on using a 3TB Samsung HD (in an enclosure) connected via USB 3.0 or eSATA. This was to be the final location for my media, and the same drive XBMC would use for its library. I suppose it would also be ok to use this for the downloading/temp directories, but I figured a 64GB internal drive would suffice for the downloading/temp area.

Keito posted:

I don't understand why he can't just run the applications on the memory stick and use cache and completed directories on the external HDD.

You may be right. I just wasn't sure if the sabnzbd would somehow be limited running off of the USB stick, but I guess once it's in memory that is a non-issue.

I really appreciate the various replies/input. It's really helping me out. Thanks.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Why does SickBeard sometimes not list newly aired shows but when you click on their TVDB link, they show the newly aired episodes just fine? I though they pulled episode airing from TVDB?

edit: Another show has an airdate that has passed but again, I go onto TVDB and the airdate is different than what is listed in SickBeard.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Why does SickBeard sometimes not list newly aired shows but when you click on their TVDB link, they show the newly aired episodes just fine? I though they pulled episode airing from TVDB?

edit: Another show has an airdate that has passed but again, I go onto TVDB and the airdate is different than what is listed in SickBeard.

Because sickbeard isn't polling for information every five seconds. You can force a refresh on the show's page.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I was having that issue with lots of shows before I upgraded to 499. Are you on the most recent release of Sick Beard?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Whatever happened to the goonzb thing?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

maniacripper posted:

A few pages back they were starting to accept applications for test accounts.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Sickbeard updates daily at 3AM. If you shutdown your PC or only open Sickbeard when you need it, it may never update.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

maniacripper posted:

I got my invitation yesterday but there's a notice about them possibly requiring a re-registration if they expand their index retroactively, so the real big flux of member signups will probably happen once they reach a decision on that.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Chick3n posted:

Sickbeard updates daily at 3AM. If you shutdown your PC or only open Sickbeard when you need it, it may never update.

Good to know.

Another question - What's the best way to start "fresh" with an install of SickBeard on OS X, Cheetah and all?

I'm having an issue where for some reason, SickBeard likes to close randomly, I have no idea why, but I have to go into Activity Monitor and Quit Process Python to get it running again. I have no idea why, and the people over at the SickBeard forums weren't much help, so I figured re-installing everything might fix it.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Whats the best deal going right now for a monthly account? I cancelled my usenetserver account because there was some deal with some other provider going on last month but I'm retarded and forgot to sign up for it.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

visuvius posted:

Whats the best deal going right now for a monthly account? I cancelled my usenetserver account because there was some deal with some other provider going on last month but I'm retarded and forgot to sign up for it.

http://newsgroupdirect.com/unlimited-usenet

Same backend as UNS. Don't worry if you miss it, they say "limited time only" but it's up for most of the week.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I use Supernews and its faster than all get out. If you have a big pipe definitely consider it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is NZB.su's VIP a yearly thing? I could have sworn that when I paid for it, I was getting it for life. Now I'm looking on my profile and I see no mention that I'm VIP.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Is NZB.su's VIP a yearly thing? I could have sworn that when I paid for it, I was getting it for life. Now I'm looking on my profile and I see no mention that I'm VIP.

Monthly thing, bit like how newzbin used to work in the past

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

It's always been annually for me, I think I registered in 2009 or 2010. It's alright but I probably won't reup, I'm well covered between free indexers, the SB index and whatnot.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Gozinbulx posted:

I use Supernews and its faster than all get out. If you have a big pipe definitely consider it.

Does that hold true for more "obscure" stuff? I signed up with hitnews recently and I kinda regret it, cause often times I only get about 6MB/s when stuff is older and not from a hugely popular group, whereas on a good download I can get to 11.5MB/s.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Does that hold true for more "obscure" stuff? I signed up with hitnews recently and I kinda regret it, cause often times I only get about 6MB/s when stuff is older and not from a hugely popular group, whereas on a good download I can get to 11.5MB/s.

Are there missing files? The reported speed drops way down if there are missing articles.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Are there missing files? The reported speed drops way down if there are missing articles.

Do I see that when I hover over the download? Because if so, then there are no missing files as it just says "downloading" and the age of the post.

EDIT: just checked, something posted 800 days ago gets me 4.5MB/s while something posted this week gets me about 9.5MB/s, group is the same and both downloads don't have missing articles as best I can tell

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 15, 2013

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Do I see that when I hover over the download? Because if so, then there are no missing files as it just says "downloading" and the age of the post.

EDIT: just checked, something posted 800 days ago gets me 4.5MB/s while something posted this week gets me about 9.5MB/s, group is the same and both downloads don't have missing articles as best I can tell

It could be the way their backend caches articles. If you are pulling something else other people are interested in, the file may be quicker to access.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Anyone else using iVi converter on OSX having trouble with it pulling down metadata? Not obscure stuff either, but shows that it really should be coping with.

Between these issues and problems with my dl speeds (bit sure if its Supernews or my ISP) I'm about ready to just give my money to Netflix instead.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

http://newsgroupdirect.com/unlimited-usenet

Same backend as UNS. Don't worry if you miss it, they say "limited time only" but it's up for most of the week.

Thanks for this and I'm about to sign up for it but how the hell does this even work it looks too good to be true? Why is the price so completely different from this page:

http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/signup/

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

visuvius posted:

Thanks for this and I'm about to sign up for it but how the hell does this even work it looks too good to be true? Why is the price so completely different from this page:

http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/signup/
NGD has lovely regular prices and great deals.

It's fine.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

It was a lifetime thing originally, they've switched to yearly now I think. If you bought it when it was lifetime your account type will be "Friend"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Heap
Dec 26, 2002

I asked before, but is anyone using the SABNZBd suite add-on with openELEC?