Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

RZApublican posted:

the best they could do with it right now is to convince mozilla to bake webp support into firefox, and considering firefox has supported webm since like day one I'm kind of surprised this hasn't happened yet

hopefully the reason isn't because mozilla is hoping for animated png to catch on instead, because it won't

actually the problem with webp is that i think it is still evolving. nobody wants to implement an unfinished standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and then I had sex with your dad. its hosed up, the unintended consequences of unfinished video codecs

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Every one of you is a huge gay retard.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not really sure anyone wants image formats that may be animated or not, most images should be static and ensuring that it is a jpeg/png achieves that easily

the compression is also all-around unimpressive compared to other formats that have been suggested, and those all failed. we'll see, i wouldn't mind if it succeeded, but things are not looking good

e: pretty neat blog post about an image format s.t. fmt:h264::webp:webm

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 14, 2013

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
how would you explain animate gifs to someone in the past

"It's like tv but no sound and worse. people spend all day looking at the fuckers"

I guess you could compare them to those flip books but it'd be impossible to justify

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
webp is loving stupid and doesn't solve anything.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

slogsdon posted:

how would you explain animate gifs to someone in the past

animated gifs are nearly 25 years old

JumpinJackFlash posted:

webp is loving stupid and doesn't solve anything.

it solves nerds' needs to have a lovely format they can complain isnt supported

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

slogsdon posted:

I guess you could compare them to those flip books but it'd be impossible to justify

this is exactly how you'd explain it. "imagine if people could take moving pictures for free and also send them by telegraph line to each-other for free and anonymously, why a magic box that has every flip book ever made, boy howdy"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The XKCD Larper posted:

Every one of you is a huge gay retard.

:qq: my lifestyle :qq:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

h.264 (in any supported container) would be best for moving images over 10fps.

The idea of having one image format support it all does sound appealing, but then you would have hundreds of idiots going "what setting do i use hurrr" and every image looking terrible.

That alone makes different formats for "picture" "graphic" "video" seem more viable.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i think you mean to say "gfx"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the concept of using h264 for video only, in a <video> tag, without controls is probably too much for the minds of web developers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
even if they could figure it out they'd still include and load their unused, 10 meg javascript controls on every page.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Install Gentoo posted:

animated gifs are nearly 25 years old

good thing the past goes beyond 25 years back you nonce

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

That alone makes different formats for "picture" "graphic" "video" seem more viable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

slogsdon posted:

good thing the past goes beyond 25 years back you nonce

well if you want be all like that, short boring silent low res videos are 120 years old

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
fishmech'd again

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Shaggar posted:

even if they could figure it out they'd still include and load their unused, 10 meg javascript controls on every page.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

thumbs up if you are rendering rite now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:thumbsup: get ur cuda on

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I just learned today that many of Disney's movies were done at 1.66 aspect ratio (between 16x9 and 4:3) because their CAPS animation system basically maxed out there.

#woah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
not sure how i feel about aspect ratio chat in this thread about video codecs

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

video codecs have metadata flags for pixel aspect ratio and display aspect ratio. it gets a pass from me

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
lol @ non-square pixels

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

You are dead to me if you hand me an anamorphic source material with no DAR metadata flag.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

longview posted:

lol @ non-square pixels

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

my 720p plasma has non square pixels. it can also accept a 1080p signal and even looks not that bad at that resolution.

thanks for reading my post

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
for that dude who wanted to know why wavelets are hot poo poo:

basically the basis functions for wavelets are localized in time and frequency but the sinusoids in the Fourier transform are only localized in frequency

which means you can a) get rid of macroblocks b) can represent discontinuities better depending on your wavelet choice

theoretically they are better than the dct at more or less everything (and you can calculate the DWT in O(N) time if you are clever)

HOWEVER

the FFT is well understood and well optimized so the speed thing really doesn't mean much

because wavelets overlap motion estimation and poo poo is apparently super hard to SIMD optimize, at least according to the dude who wrote x264

turns out that JPEG2000 wasn't that big of a success so who knows. apparently RED uses a wavelet codec, and the BBC has one in development

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
same

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
holy poo poo I borrowed some friend's colorimeter and it somehow made my display worse.

It's like someone turned the color saturation to 70% and decreased the contrast so my blacks are now greys and somehow the yospos report/quote buttons are now a yellow-green compared to everything else here. And then I ran it on the built-in LCD and it did the exact opposite.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
You probably want to use a spectrophotometer, not a colorimeter, especially if you have a new-ish display.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Malcolm XML posted:

turns out that JPEG2000 wasn't that big of a success so who knows. apparently RED uses a wavelet codec, and the BBC has one in development

JPEG200 is not a success due to licensing and only minor improvements in compression. Dirac from the beeb is wavelet based video compression which they contracted out a vendor to implement hardware devices for for all internal video routing. First use in the Beijing Olympics I think.

Beyond that not forgetting there is fractal compression which is very compute intensive, produces better compression rates and has a nice blurry artifact when scaling. There was Fractal Image Format (FIF) back in the late 90's, and I believe some US government agencies used it for ISDN based video conferencing at very low bit rates.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

pagancow posted:

please tell me you do color space conversions correctly if you have to display one source at a different color space.

this irks me about cheap DVD players/TVs

we do a gamma operation to linearize the color values, then convert to another space using a matrix operation, then do another gamma calculation to get to the final color space

lots of extra precision in the matrix operation to ensure you get the same precision at the output that you started with

all the gamma curves and matrix coefficients are programmable and I think that's about as good as you can do it, its in a graphics accelerator so you can set it all in the driver

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

kwinkles posted:

we do a gamma operation to linearize the color values, then convert to another space using a matrix operation, then do another gamma calculation to get to the final color space

lots of extra precision in the matrix operation to ensure you get the same precision at the output that you started with

all the gamma curves and matrix coefficients are programmable and I think that's about as good as you can do it, its in a graphics accelerator so you can set it all in the driver

:coal:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jimmy Carter posted:

holy poo poo I borrowed some friend's colorimeter and it somehow made my display worse.

It's like someone turned the color saturation to 70% and decreased the contrast so my blacks are now greys and somehow the yospos report/quote buttons are now a yellow-green compared to everything else here. And then I ran it on the built-in LCD and it did the exact opposite.

sRGB is pretty desaturated compared to what most modern LCDs can do. as designed

If you can, just profile your monitor, and calibrate just the white point at 6500K. Appliations that are color managed will still display "correct colors" while everything else will still look about the same.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how do you feel about that f.lux app

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

longview posted:

lol @ squares

me in 1955

(a kewl guy)

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

echinopsis posted:

how do you feel about that f.lux app

owns for ur eyes. turn it off when working with color sensitive poo poo

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

MrMoo posted:

Beyond that not forgetting there is fractal compression which is very compute intensive, produces better compression rates and has a nice blurry artifact when scaling. There was Fractal Image Format (FIF) back in the late 90's, and I believe some US government agencies used it for ISDN based video conferencing at very low bit rates.

I remember getting so very excited when I heard about this. Bitmaps! Fractals! Resolution independent! Zoom without pixelation! it hit all the right points to capture my imagination. then it came out but was wrapped up in so many patents that it was impossible to find a version so you could try it yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

owns for ur eyes. turn it off when working with color sensitive poo poo

yes, lets look at a picture that looks different depending on what some programmer who doesn't understand why we have colorspaces change your whitepoint all the time

• Locked thread