Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Looking closer, I see something zip-tied to the bar clamp. Either an extra or someone destroyed the stock speedo. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and see how bad it really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A dealer is not going to waste the storage space, let alone the man hours, on a $2.6k bike unless they know there's something really messed up with it and that's why they got it for half that. It's more profitable with a bike in good shape to resell it to a wholesaler who parts it out.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Interesting old Honda, precursor to the Africa Twin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_XLV750R

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Deeters posted:

Looking closer, I see something zip-tied to the bar clamp. Either an extra or someone destroyed the stock speedo. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and see how bad it really is.

It has an aftermarket speedometer, with no odometer and no title. Everything else seemed fine, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass on it.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Deeters posted:

It has an aftermarket speedometer, with no odometer and no title. Everything else seemed fine, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass on it.

No title at a dealer? Wow. That's ghetto. Explains the price though. I'd still almost jump on it if I were close.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
The series of ill-advised decisions in this ad is just tragic.

tl;dr: supposedly a highschool kid paid $2600 for this Ninja 250 ripoff; RTC brand, all I can find out about is that "BUY SCOOTER SAVE GAS MONEY!!!!" places sell them. He pays for all kinds of LEDs and paint on it, and a couple weeks later realises he's short on money. On the same CL page as his ad there are a half-dozen used Ninja 250s, some as low as that $2600 he blew on generic crap. I'm kind of baffled, since he's clearly an internet-using person under 40, but it apparently never occurred to him to check online to see what reasonable bike brands and prices are.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

JP Money posted:

Supermotos are still priced like they were a few years back when the trend was much more popular.

They aren't popular any more? That seems odd to me -- I see quite a few around. Sure, not as many as GIXXAHS and H-Ds, but a good showing for something as bizarre as a supermotard. What's the current trend moving towards if not SMs any more?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

They aren't popular any more? That seems odd to me -- I see quite a few around. Sure, not as many as GIXXAHS and H-Ds, but a good showing for something as bizarre as a supermotard. What's the current trend moving towards if not SMs any more?

Nowhere near what they were back around 2004-2008 or so. Back then you had a huge following, you had the big supermoto series running as pro level stuff, Jeremy McGrath was pushing them huge for a lot of the supercross guys at the time, everyone was hacking up old 250 and 450 dirtbikes and just sticking SM tires on them.

Now, the trend is moving towards cell phones. Kids don't buy bikes anymore.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Sagebrush posted:

It's kind of a weird market for supermotos as everyone that has had one for a few years still thinks they're worth huge money and are guaranteed easy sales. The new ZX10 and S1000rr's seemed to revitalize things a tad in what's been a relatively boring few years of the sportbike market imo. 2009 had the ZX6 that came out with a lot of power but other than that Honda's offerings have been very mainstream along with the gixxers and yamahas. It seems like more and more people are buying sportbikes and getting into tracking them, etc.

It's also very, very easy to pick up sportbikes cheap from the early 2000's now so more people can get into the market on that end.

I don't know if I'd say supermoto's aren't popular anymore - that's probably not true. I just don't think the market is there for them quite as much as it was in the past.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm kind of baffled, since he's clearly an internet-using person under 40, but it apparently never occurred to him to check online to see what reasonable bike brands and prices are.

$2500 dollar used bikes on craigslist don't have "buy here-pay here" financing plans.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
If anyone in the DC area is interested in a buttload of vintage dirtbikes:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/3650722208.html posted:

9 vintage motorcycles (bunker hill)
I have 9 1976 Honda elsinores 250 r 2 stroke dirt bikes they are street legal dirt bikes the only year they were street legal some are running some are for parts or fix up make offer thanks Stephen ...

For reference (not a seller pic) here's what a Honda Elsinore looks like:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ThatCguy posted:

Suzuki dealers up here are selling the 2013s new for 6500 bucks, you'd pay 4500 bucks for a 6 year old example?

Seriously though, for 2600 bucks, who cares if it has a salvage title? It's a motard, you're going to drop it, that's the point.

The depreciation scale on supermotos is certainly not a straight line. They hold their value to a certain point, and a 6 year old bike is not much cheaper than a new one. Its just what the market dictates.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The depreciation scale on supermotos is certainly not a straight line. They hold their value to a certain point, and a 6 year old bike is not much cheaper than a new one. Its just what the market dictates.

Which is, frankly, retarded. It's basically what I was referencing earlier when I mentioned dealers having better deals on used bikes than the average craigslist PWT selling one. All the SM's I see on lots up here are priced in line with standard dirtbikes of the same vintage, and drop pretty quickly. Meanwhile, private sales on craigslist seem to think it's still 2008 and everyone is prepping one for McGrath's new series or something.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont disagree that it doesnt make a ton of sense, but it is what it is. People are also holding on to supermoto bikes it seems, which probably also has an effect on the market.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You gotta pay to play baby

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

ThatCguy posted:

Which is, frankly, retarded. It's basically what I was referencing earlier when I mentioned dealers having better deals on used bikes than the average craigslist PWT selling one. All the SM's I see on lots up here are priced in line with standard dirtbikes of the same vintage, and drop pretty quickly. Meanwhile, private sales on craigslist seem to think it's still 2008 and everyone is prepping one for McGrath's new series or something.

If you can actually get a supermoto that isn't ragged out and teetering on explosion for used dirtbike prices you should consider reselling them privately somewhere else to make bank.

Out of curiosity, what SM's specifically are you seeing for sale in dealers for that cheap?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/3599540034.html

I told my friend he should be getting this as a first bike but he hates the purple, no matter how cool I tell him it is...lol. I told him to hop on the gs500 forums cause he might be able to swap the tank/plastics with someone.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

gently caress I want a purple bike now.

That is the best GS500 color scheme I think I've ever seen.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nsaP posted:

I told my friend he should be getting this as a first bike but he hates the purple, no matter how cool I tell him it is...lol. I told him to hop on the gs500 forums cause he might be able to swap the tank/plastics with someone.
Your friend is obviously either colorblind or completely lacking in taste. That color is awesome.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dat purple, with those white wheels and 90's color splash graphics, that is probably the best looking iteration of the GS500

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Given this if I want it... Is it worth the time money to try and get it moving again?

thegasman2000 fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 10, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

First, timg that poo poo. Second, it looks like an MZ ETZ300.

Unless you really want a project (that you have space and time for) or have a hard-on for communist era east german bikes, leave it to its final rest. Just judging from the picture and all the stuff that's visibly broken or missing, it looks like a lot of work for a bike that really isn't too exciting to begin with. And that's not counting all the things that are likely broken and/or rusty in the engine and transmission.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Collateral Damage posted:

First, timg that poo poo. Second, it looks like an MZ ETZ300.

Unless you really want a project (that you have space and time for) or have a hard-on for communist era east german bikes, leave it to its final rest. Just judging from the picture and all the stuff that's visibly broken or missing, it looks like a lot of work for a bike that really isn't too exciting to begin with. And that's not counting all the things that are likely broken and/or rusty in the engine and transmission.

Thanks. Just looking for something to wrench on and learn more about motors on. My GPz taught me all about carbs but didn't need an engine strip. My cheap Chinese dirt bike taught me electrics and bad hot wiring so looking for something that needs a motor rebuild but don't want to spend lots!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3676643301.html

Who needs an engine when your bike looks like this?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So it's just a cycle. :v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Oh, I just saw an ad that you could use to get an engine!

Clean title!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

That's actually probably worth it. Having a clean title alone you can usually sell for like 1000 bucks to someone rebuilding a bike or titling some shady track bike. If it wasn't sitting in some idiots field that'd be a much better deal. Depending on how hosed up the engine is you could at least get 800 out of it I bet. The rear wheel might be ok so that's maybe 100 more at least. Forks are probably bent but you might be able to sell them too along with the triples, etc. Tank looks kind of dull but that may just be the picture. That's also easy money.

It's surprising how much money you could make parting out a bike if you don't mind dealing with idiots and spending all the time to disassemble it and sell it off individually.

EDIT - I'd normally say 600's are much more desirable but I guarantee there's a market out there to sell off a title to some shady gixxah rider that bought a bike with no title.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's in all ways a 'doner cycle'

Things would have to work out pretty sweet to make any money off it at that price. I don't care about the bike for sale, it'll stagnate and eventually disappear off CL, I'm just impressed by the damage.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

thegasman2000 posted:

Given this if I want it... Is it worth the time money to try and get it moving again?

Since it's not really ride-worthy (apparently), I would love to see this cleaned up and used as a piece of decor in a pub somewhere.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Not a pub! A biergarten, obviously :rolleyes:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Sagebrush posted:

Not a pub! A biergarten, obviously :rolleyes:

East German. So more like in a I really tried with this one, but I couldn't come up with anything really accurate. I was going to make some joke about a smack flophouse full of strung-out East German punks, or some kind of establishment where people stand in long lines for bread or something. But fundamentally at midnight on a Wednesday I just couldn't come up with something really snappy and evocative that really expressed an East German equivalent to a pub that was both amusing and historically accurate. Suggestions?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3678707632.html

Why don't I have money right now :negative:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh, thats probably just a carb cleaning too

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

East German. So more like in a I really tried with this one, but I couldn't come up with anything really accurate. I was going to make some joke about a smack flophouse full of strung-out East German punks, or some kind of establishment where people stand in long lines for bread or something. But fundamentally at midnight on a Wednesday I just couldn't come up with something really snappy and evocative that really expressed an East German equivalent to a pub that was both amusing and historically accurate. Suggestions?

In a Stasi penthouse, positioned artfully under a blinking neon Radeberger sign.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This just popped up.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/3670374634.html

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 15, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

A bike where you actually look through the windscreen :stare:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
poo poo, some friends and I were just talking about that those a couple days ago. They look comfortable as gently caress but it seems like you'd lose a lot of visibility. The riding position puts your eye level barely above the bars, and from a couple feet back. I imagine it'd be a lot like trying to see over the hood of a modern muscle car (ie about 20 to 30 feet straight ahead the ground isn't visible).

Would definitely paint it like a bike from Akira.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3683725490.html

Holy poo poo guys, I found a bike with a power band!!!

edit:

I was crazy surprised when this guy called me back after 3 days of the ad being up, but I'm going to check it out tomorrow. It's probably going to be for not, since being up for that long probably means there's something legitimately wrong with it. He says that somebody else compression tested it and it read low, and that it's weeping oil "from the crankcase." I'm going to compression test it again, and if it happens to come out fine, I'm taking it. If the leak isn't something like a gasket or loose bolt, I just so happen to have a set of SV cases sitting in my garage right now :whatup:

double edit:
He said it starts and runs for a little bit. Are there any obvious symptoms of bad compression, other than showing such on a tester?

even more edits:
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3612777781.html

I've got the best ads. Apparently this guy just dropped dead before finishing his post. Or meth.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 16, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If it's been sitting, compression is probably low from sitting. If it'll start and run it's probably not too bad. Hard to kill SVs. Weeping from the crankcase could just be a bad seal on a side cover or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Eh, it pulled 90psi from the front cylinder and wouldn't even crank off starter fluid in the airbox. It was also in way worse condition than the ad made it seem, which I expected. After trying to convince him to sell me a bunch of parts, I passed on it.