Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Catalyst 2960G-48TC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Quick Question:

What is the most affordable Cisco brand - 48 port - Gigabit on all ports - Layer 2 Managed switch?

I have to order one on the cheap for my company so I'm searching eBay but it's a royal pain in the rear end to tell apart "gigabit on all ports" versus "gigabit just on the uplinks". Thanks folks!

2960g is probably your best bet.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
4948's got cheap-ish in the last few weeks- sub 1k. Far better than a 2960g if the price is close.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
What does int lex correspond to?

When I googled it I found page after page of unsecured internet-facing Cisco devices with ip http server turned on.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
When setting up a redundant WAN link with a GRE tunnel, if I already have an ISR in place, is there an advantage to using a second device, like an ASA, for the VPN?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

falz posted:

4948's got cheap-ish in the last few weeks- sub 1k. Far better than a 2960g if the price is close.

Thank you for the advice, the 4984's were the same price on eBay, and I made an offer for $700 on one of these and the guy took it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271171703342

Corporate was pushing for us to buy some switch at MSRP for like $5000 so I'm sure we're better off as long as none of these ports magically burn out like our current Catalyst.

How the gently caress do switch ports burn out anyways? I've never in my life seen a port burn out on a PC or server or even consumer-grade routers, yet Catalysts always seem to blow up.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm in the process of rebuilding my home lab in the hopes of actually using it for CCNA/CCNP.
Here is what I have ended up with last year:

2x ASA5505 Sec Plus with 1gb ram
2x 1841
3x 2950
2x 2620's
1x 3620
1x 3640

I want to add/replace a few things- what would you guys recommend? I was offered
two more 1841's and a 3750 locally. Trying to keep it under $1k.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

the spyder posted:

I'm in the process of rebuilding my home lab in the hopes of actually using it for CCNA/CCNP.
Here is what I have ended up with last year:

2x ASA5505 Sec Plus with 1gb ram
2x 1841
3x 2950
2x 2620's
1x 3620
1x 3640

I want to add/replace a few things- what would you guys recommend? I was offered
two more 1841's and a 3750 locally. Trying to keep it under $1k.

3750 would be good for L3 switching. 1841s will be of dubious value considering the amount of routers you already have. You're using one of those 3600s as a frame relay switch right?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I somehow got 2x 1841's for $30/e and a friend owes me trip through his ewaste buiness warehouse where I know he has at least 4 more. The 3640 is my frame relay router.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
Make sure your 2620s have XM next to them or they are worth jack poo poo. Today I learned that they have 16MB of flash and 32MB of RAM and I couldn't put any sort of worthwhile IOS image on them. Yes the 1841s are poo poo compared to everything else but they are still a drat sight better than non-XM 2600s.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
Tonight has been productive.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Zero VGS posted:

Thank you for the advice, the 4984's were the same price on eBay, and I made an offer for $700 on one of these and the guy took it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271171703342

Corporate was pushing for us to buy some switch at MSRP for like $5000 so I'm sure we're better off as long as none of these ports magically burn out like our current Catalyst.

How the gently caress do switch ports burn out anyways? I've never in my life seen a port burn out on a PC or server or even consumer-grade routers, yet Catalysts always seem to blow up.

Keep in mind these switches are old and will NOT do IPv6 routing in hardware. :( If you are just going to use them for switching they are great though.

ior fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 15, 2013

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I just finished setting up a new interface on our Cisco ASA to act as a locked down guest network. The ASA is also the DHCP server for that interface. Is there a way to have the ASA tell me the hostname of a dhcp client, rather than just the IP/Mac address? I'd use nbtstat, but most of the devices that connect to the guest network will be phones and tablets so that won't work.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
How to kill an ASA CPU easily:

service-policy MSS global

class-map MSS
match access-list MSS (traffic matching anything utilizing https, which is used by 99% of their SaaS product)

policy-map MSS
class MSS
set connection advanced-options MSS-MAP

MSS-MAP? Completely empty.

So basically 99% of their traffic is punting to the CPU for post-processing, and then the ASA goes "eh" and allows it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

adorai posted:

When setting up a redundant WAN link with a GRE tunnel, if I already have an ISR in place, is there an advantage to using a second device, like an ASA, for the VPN?

The VPN like users, or the IPSEC part of the GRE+IPSEC tunnel?

For VPN for users, a second device is often a good idea to keep different networks physically separate, for the IPSEC tunnel, there i no advantage other than additional complexity from having a separate device to terminate each tunnel. I would almost always just terminate the GRE+IPSec tunnel on the same device.

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

jwh posted:

ASDM sucks too

uhhh it's pretty good compared to some other vendors interfaces.

I'm not a cisco fan at all but ASDM is pretty sweet.

manage cisco security devices via cli?

I'd rather get my balls stomped.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I work on Cisco firewalls every day of my life and primarily use the ADSM. I can use the CLI but prefer not to in most cases. There are exceptions.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I'm on cisco firewalls every day of my life as well (I manage 9 FWSM's plus two ASA's) and I use the CLI for everything. GUI's are inefficient as poo poo unless the device has been build around the GUI being the primary method of operation (Palo Alto, F5 BIGIP interface).

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

abigserve posted:

I use the CLI for everything

Cool... a masochist.

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
I will admit that Palo Alto's CLI is utter trash.

I think they do it on purpose to make their GUI seem even better than it is.

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker
This seemed as good a place to ask this as any other.

I was cleaning out a client's closet the other day, which was filled with things to be thrown away. LCDs, CRTs, old P4 boxes, external modems, a poo poo load of cables, etc.

I found a Cisco 1841 in the mix, that was either the one they upgraded to the 1900 series once they got the 50MB Comcast line, or the one that bit it in the power surge that took out the UPS, 3 POE switches , and their router. Since it was in the trash pile, I claimed it, took it home and tried to see if it still worked, or if it was going to go in my trash can instead.

It looks like it was the one that was upgraded, as it powers on and ran just fine. It came with 128MB RAM and a 32MB CF card with 12.3 on it. I had also picked up a pair of P3 laptops with no hard drives but with serial ports. I figured I could try to get a live linux up and running to remote into the Cisco, as I can't find my USB/Serial adapter. It turned out that one of them had RAM that would work in both this router, bumping it to 256MB RAM and my Brother laser printer, bumping it to 192MB RAM. Not too bad for a junk pile.

Anyway...I had a spare CF card that I was able to format and toss on a new IOS image, but I have a couple questions.

First off the show ver
code:
Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.1(4)M6, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: [url]http://www.cisco.com/techsupport[/url]
Copyright (c) 1986-2013 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 14-Feb-13 03:19 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Cisco1841 uptime is 1 hour, 1 minute
System returned to ROM by reload at 12:51:52 UTC Sat Mar 16 2013
System image file is "flash:c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.M6.bin"
Last reload type: Normal Reload

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
[url]http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html[/url]

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
[email]export@cisco.com[/email].

Cisco 1841 (revision 6.0) with 239616K/22528K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX1032Y0QW
2 FastEthernet interfaces
1 Serial interface
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
191K bytes of NVRAM.
500472K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

License Info:

License UDI:

-------------------------------------------------
Device#   PID                   SN
-------------------------------------------------
*0        CISCO1841             FTX1032Y0QW

Configuration register is 0x2102
1. The BootStrap shows 12.3, but the IOS loaded is 15.1. Is there a way to update the bootstrap, or does that even matter?

2. How can I find the differences in the binary packages? ADVIPSERVICESK9-M vs. IPBASE, for example?

3. Is there any licensing that would make running one vs. the other the equivalent of piracy? I'm looking at a few of the 1841s we have in the field, most are running IPBase (which is what came on the factory 32MB flash), but there's one running the advsecurityk9-mz build.

(I apologize, the most I ever have to do with these routers is set port forwards. I'm more the PC/Server tech guy)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Bootstrap doesn't matter on that platform.

Cisco Feature Navigator will show differences between images and is mostly right.

Yes you're supposed to have a license for the features you want but x8xx and earlier routers have no way to enforce it via keys.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Your IOS license is attached to your TAC account, but in practice even Cisco doesn't care that much. Even with 15.0 code I could get any license level I wanted with a simple email.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the main benefit of upgrading your rommon version is a fee things like being able to use USB drives if you're in rommon.

After a certain IOS 15 version, all the feature sets became 'right to use' meaning you can enable them and they'll work and show as eval licences until you put a key in. At least this works for me on x9xx routers.

I would try and get another router at least and a couple of vlan capable switches for messing around with. And something to run ESXi on with a bunch of NICs.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
Probably a stupid easy answer but here goes:

2 Cisco 1140 autonomous access points. All I want currently is 1 SSID shared between both that wireless clients will connect to based on signal strength. My understanding is that wireless client handoff to another AP happens pretty seamlessly without any extra config. Do I need to set up anything OTHER than creating the same SSID, encryption and passphrase on both and putting them on non-overlapping channels? Is RADIUS required? I don't care about WDS as much since I don't have a controller and it seems annoying to set up with 2 autonomous aps (unless someone has a good guide).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Haven't seen anything posted about this yet:

http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityResponse/cisco-sr-20130318-type4

The short version is that Cisco hosed up massively when implementing their new "type 4" password hashing in IOS 15 and rather than running PBKDF2 with 1000 runs of SHA256 and an 80 bit salt, they instead just SHA256 it once without a salt.

This obviously has a massive impact on the ability to brute force a hashed password and reopens rainbow tables as an option. Anyone who has posted a config file to the internet containing type 4 hashes should consider those passwords compromised.

It gets better, too. Any device that supports type 4 hashes will not generate type 5 hashes, so to change these passwords you'll need to generate the type 5 hash elsewhere and then you have to do that every time the password is changed until you can downgrade to an older version or Cisco releases a fix.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Eh. Just use type 7, it's fine. If the local config password is important, say a BGP-peering password or a TACACS authentication password, omit it from the Config.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Powercrazy posted:

Eh. Just use type 7, it's fine. If the local config password is important, say a BGP-peering password or a TACACS authentication password, omit it from the Config.

According to Cisco this issue only applies to login users and enable passwords.

quote:

All the preceding issues apply only to devices running Cisco IOS or Cisco IOS XE releases with support for Type 4 passwords, and only to the "enable secret <password>" and "username <username> secret <password>" commands.

Unfortunately while I don't have an IOS 15 device to verify with, the examples they show for how to determine whether your device even supports type 4 seem to imply that at least some of the affected devices will only support 0 and 5 otherwise, so with support for 4 disabling the ability to create 5s those users would seem to be in a tough spot.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is there script or small program somewhere that I could run to quickly grab the running config of about ~25 or so Cisco 2960s?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

wolrah posted:

Unfortunately while I don't have an IOS 15 device to verify with, the examples they show for how to determine whether your device even supports type 4 seem to imply that at least some of the affected devices will only support 0 and 5 otherwise, so with support for 4 disabling the ability to create 5s those users would seem to be in a tough spot.

Haha. I see now. Yea that would be pretty terrible, security risks aside, portability lose sucks from a management perspective.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

Is there script or small program somewhere that I could run to quickly grab the running config of about ~25 or so Cisco 2960s?
Configure RANCID for this and you'll have diffs for life.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Xenomorph posted:

This requires Expect:

code:
#!/bin/bash

switches=`cat /var/tmp/switches.txt`

for a in $switches
 do
        /usr/bin/expect << EOF
        spawn telnet $a
        expect "Username:"
        send "foo\r"
        expect "Password:"
        send "bar\r"
        expect "#"
        send "copy run tftp\r"
        expect "[]?"
        send "10.0.0.1\r"
        expect "confg]?"
        send "${a}-config\r"
        expect "#"
        send "exit\r"
EOF
done
You can buy me lunch tomorrow.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I need SSH though...

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

wolrah posted:

Haven't seen anything posted about this yet:

http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityResponse/cisco-sr-20130318-type4

The short version is that Cisco hosed up massively when implementing their new "type 4" password hashing in IOS 15 and rather than running PBKDF2 with 1000 runs of SHA256 and an 80 bit salt, they instead just SHA256 it once without a salt.

This obviously has a massive impact on the ability to brute force a hashed password and reopens rainbow tables as an option. Anyone who has posted a config file to the internet containing type 4 hashes should consider those passwords compromised.

It gets better, too. Any device that supports type 4 hashes will not generate type 5 hashes, so to change these passwords you'll need to generate the type 5 hash elsewhere and then you have to do that every time the password is changed until you can downgrade to an older version or Cisco releases a fix.

Yeah this cropped up at work today when a client requested to know if they were affected.

Cisco is going to deprecate type 4 encryption, and revert to type 5 being the encryption used for secret passwords in future releases but still recognize type 4 encryption for compatibility - this will probably happen within the next couple of rebuilds.
They say they'll also re-implement SHA encryption properly at some point in the future as a undecided type encryption but won't be type 4 as that will be retained as a sort of read only encryption for backwards compatibility.

I think most major version 15 releases in the past 6 months were migrated to type 4 encryption but I couldn't find any mention of type 4 encryption being introduced in the various release notes for versions that have it - I think in some instances, it was introduced in rebuilds.
I can confirm that version 15.0(2) for switches uses type 4 encryption with 15.0(1) using type 5 encryption.
IOS XE also uses type 4 encryption but I couldn't say when it was introduced.
Latest version of 15.0 on an 1841 doesn't seem to be using it but 15.1 upwards does seem to be using it although its not clear when it was introduced into those versions.

And like the above said, you can still paste in a type 5 encrypted password generated from another device - you just can't tell the switch to encrypt entered plain text passwords using type 5, it'll only encrypt using type 4.
Also if you do downgrade a device that has type 4 encypted passwords to an image that doesn't support type 4 passwords, upon rebooting, it rejects the enable secret and username secret commands from the startup configuration.

chestnut santabag fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 19, 2013

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
All of that is bad, but if you're using tacacs or even radius, it's functionally irrelevant.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Powercrazy posted:

I need SSH though...
Just replace 'spawn telnet' with 'spawn ssh foo@$a'.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

inignot posted:

All of that is bad, but if you're using tacacs or even radius, it's functionally irrelevant.

Which is why I just use type 7 for everything. Sometimes it is useful to get the long forgotten enable password from some device.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

So with the Cisco SG300, I am trying to write a recovery procedure for non technical persons. IE, they won't know how to get the device on the network, they just want to get a hot-spare going.

I have RANCID backing up the configs, but the configs are a real mess. Some of the commands seem to be at the bottom of the config, that it wants before it parses the information at the top (but it doesn't really need to be at the top, doesn't functionally do anything).

Trying to get AAA setup on it, so I am throwing in "aaa authentication enable Console local" to use the local user, except local is not an option and it rejects the command. Local is clearly listed in the command guide, as well as in the backup configuration, but it's not available at the CLI?

Anyone ran into this or have any thoughts, orther than throwing these things into the incinerator?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone ever used Ubiquiti's wired solutions? I've used their wireless stuff before; the price is certainly right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Partycat posted:

So with the Cisco SG300 ... throwing these things into the incinerator?

That's where Linksys products belong, right?