Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Not so shiny OEM rack arrived. Retailed for 1500 in 1996. I paid 115 shipped. Its the little things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Today, I said goodbye. Rest in pieces, Dee-Dee.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pourin' one out in memoriam.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Somehow the two plastic tabs the bolts go through on the driver's side headlight snapped off so I replaced both headlights today. I got some Anzo headlights that are OEM style except the plastic inside is black instead of chrome. Goes well with my black car.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Somehow the two plastic tabs the bolts go through on the driver's side headlight snapped off so I replaced both headlights today. I got some Anzo headlights that are OEM style except the plastic inside is black instead of chrome. Goes well with my black car.

Nice! Did you get them from OTTP?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Amazon with 2 day shipping. I was supposed to get inspected in February so I want this fixed ASAP so I can do it this weekend. The Chevy dealership wanted $160 for one headlight, and I got these two off Amazon for $165. The bulbs it came with are horrible so I'll be replacing those soon.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

West SAAB Story posted:

Goddamn, every picture is worse than the last.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Amazon with 2 day shipping. I was supposed to get inspected in February so I want this fixed ASAP so I can do it this weekend. The Chevy dealership wanted $160 for one headlight, and I got these two off Amazon for $165. The bulbs it came with are horrible so I'll be replacing those soon.

I'm noticing Amazon is like frickin' crazy cheap for car parts, and I am surprised at what they have. And shipping is cheaper than some dedicated car places.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Holy poo poo $165? Guess I have a reason to replace mine now too, seeing as they're rather permanently buggered (but useable).

case
Mar 27, 2005

Put her up for sale :( E30 325iS http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=2#post413422187

Haven't been home with a fresh battery so she is for sale exclusively to AI for £1750 until then. Price will go up once she is cleaned and sorted but thought I'd give everyone here the first chance.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

loving got it! Just sawed through it with a dremel. Now to the brake line and the other end of the endlink :sigh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

When I bought my car, I dumped everything that was in my old car... into the trunk. That was in early January.

I finally got around to cleaning it all out. :gonk: Wound up throwing most of it away - a full garbage bag. Also discovered the spare tire has apparently never been checked on, it had a whole 20 PSI in it. It's back up to 60.

Used some of this on the glass. That stuff is freakin amazing - the windows look better than the day I bought it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

New plugs and wires in my '02 Impala. I hadn't intended on changing the wires since the old ones were not that old and still in good shape but I had to loving mangle them to get them off the plugs. I guess the bit of silicon that got sprayed in them the last time I did the plugs wasn't enough so this time they got a healthy dose of dielectric grease. I don't intend on owning this car long enough to change the plugs again but stranger things have happened. Need to rotate the tires tomorrow and I changed oil two weeks ago so I shouldn't have to do any thing else to it for a whole two months until I have to change oil again.

Maybe now I'll be able to put my motorcycle back together and have that ready by the time it gets warm enough to ride.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

West SAAB Story posted:

I'm impressed with how well the cabin stayed intact. Way to go Saab.

I also love the writing on the rear passenger window. "THIS PIECE! WE CAN SELL THIS!"

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

BoostCreep posted:

I'm impressed with how well the cabin stayed intact. Way to go Saab.

I don't think I'd ever trust another car, ever again. I shouldn't have walked away from this.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

West SAAB Story posted:

I don't think I'd ever trust another car, ever again. I shouldn't have walked away from this.

This is how I feel about all of my unfortunately dead E30's (3). People think I am cursed by the BMW gods and should stay the gently caress away, but having an E350 appear in your driver's side window at 45mph and walking away with literally nothing more than a scratch... yeah, pretty much E30s and Volvo station wagons from here out.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I decided I don't like these things.

You have all these horizontal aspects on the back of the car, and they all work with each other. Then there are these strange little upright bumperettes standing vertical. They don't look right to me, they don't flow with the rest of the car.

So I decided to remove them to see what what it would look like without them. To do this, you have to remove the entire bumper.

Bumper delete works on a 1970 BMW, not so much a Mercedes.

Anyway I found the bumper support was terribly rusty.

So I'm soaking it in PB blaster so I can separate the bumper from the support and POR-15 the bumper support.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

West SAAB Story posted:

That's all the more reason to trust a car.

I came here because I did a thing. I moved the trailer. Yes I did stuff to things too.

You see, the trailer was coupled to the VW to stop it from tipping backward. Where it was it was trapped and the only way out was to move the VW. Also the only way to move the trailer is to tow it because it is full of branches and rubbish.

The VWs battery is shot. The indicator thing on it is a nice visible green but it puts out about as many amps as a cheap AA battery these days. So I had to swap it. I swapped in one I use to start stuff. I don't remember what it was from. Maybe one of the Fairlane's ex batteries. It still makes great current but slowly discharges partially. Close enough.

Swapping batteries on the VW is a nightmare becaus eit is tucked in in front of one of the tail lights. To get it out it involves contorting to undo the terminals and clamp first. Then while still on my knees with my head twisted to the side to avoid the engine hatch I have to offset lift the battery over its deep carrier with my arms outstretched while making sure I don't touch it on the metal above or drop it on a raised point on the carrier and try to get it around the cables and wires.

While I was at it I removed a few of those pronged crimp connectors that are attached to a terminal bolt because they keep coming loose. I replaced the three with a single large loop type with all three wires in it.

The VW started fine once the fuel system primed. It never ceases to amaze me how smoothly it idles and how much low end it has.
Sadly it keeps popping out of reverse but I think it's just the shift plate needs tweaking. I don't think I did it after adjusting the drivetrain so the exhaust would clear the towbar.

So, trailer moved to near the gate so when I get a chance I can go empty it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

General_Failure posted:

That's all the more reason to trust a car.

That was what I was implying. Next car? :black101: OG95 :black101:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Used some of this on the glass. That stuff is freakin amazing - the windows look better than the day I bought it.

I need to pick up another can, myself. Isn't the slogan like "Stoner Invisible glass, cleans so well you'll think the glass is invisible." :2bong: Always amused me.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

West SAAB Story posted:

Yes, you'll trust any car again.

Real life is so stupidly different from crash tests. I've seen people killed in a frontal crash in a Volvo 760, wearing seat-belts and all, at less than 65 Km/h.

I've also managed to walk away almost unscratched from an Alfa 6 GTV (I still miss her) that looked like a banana after being rear-ended by a Mercedes going 200+ Km/h and pushed into a rather big BMW (630 CSI). The BMW I was pushed into was going around 10 Km/h due to a traffic jam. My car was just crushed.

I ended up providing and assisting first aid to at least 10 people. Total number of cars involved was about 12 before the traffic jammed.

It's just like throwing dices. Some times it's just not your time yet.

Your mileage may vary though. I've been driving rather fast motorcycles for almost 3 decades. Not much passive security there.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I got mine out and drove it for the first time since October.

Feels good, man.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Let me tell you about myweekend, gentlemen:

Friday, March 8th, I was supposed to report in to my first National Guard Drill. Like a good soldier, I left at 12:30 so I could arrive 178 miles away at the Armory in Cocoa, Fl several hours early to kind of get the lay of the land. I hop into my Caddy and with some trepidation began my trip into the unknown.

Now IIRC I was on 275 south, though don't quote me on that. I'm pretty broke but I've got enough to fuel up my 25 gallon tank up and back with a small amount to spare, so maybe 200 bucks plus a small amount in my savings. So I'm traveling down the road going maybe 65-70 mph, when some guy in some kind of expensive Accura sports car of some kind pulls in front of me in the fast lane and slows down to 40 mph for 4 miles. I couldn't initially get into the right lane because traffic was a bit thick on that side. Eventually I find a spot and shift over while honking my horn at the guy. As I do, he speeds off into the distance, never to be seen again. Ok, whatever, I don't know why he's exerting his road rage but he's gone now. I get back into the fast lane.

Very shortly afterwards, this car pulls up behind me and is almost bumber to bumper with me, and he's driving faster and faster like he intends to ram me. I bitched out and started going faster to try and get over again; my spedometer only goes to 85 mph but I am reasonably sure I was doing 90 to 100. Eventually this guy finds a spot in the right lane and recklessly drives away from me. As I slow down to 70 again, I hear a loud pop and the wonderful vibrations of a blown right rear whitewall. Oh joy. I pulled over, called the unit, to which I got this gem: "Well, Drive safe!" Helpful. Guy didn't even inform my company. Well I go to put on a donut and double back, having only gotten 30 miles, when I realized I didn't have a jack. I looked at the blown tire and saw that I still had air in the inner portion of the tire, the ply I guess it's called. (I know gently caress all about tires) I drove home at 45 mph with my hazards on.

I got back, and rather than doing a new tire, which I figured would be costly and hard to get a whitewall (which in fact it was) I bought a water pump for 30-50 bucks at Advance and installed it in the Impala and drove that. Now I was gonna be late but at least I'd make it.

(Part 1)

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

(Part 2)

So I've taken off the ORIGINAL GM water pump, and I get 60 miles out from Sarasota to Valrico, or Valerico, or some such place, when I hear a loud knocking that has me worried. I pull into a gas station to check it out, figuring maybe I'm low on oil. Turns out not to be the case. While I'm looking at it an old farmer comes up and asks how much for the car, then asks to hear it. He tells me that he thinks maybe my oil pump is out, and that he's got tools at his place if I buy the part. Not wanting to tear up the 50 year old engine, I agree and do exactly that.

That's Friday night. I drive the car up on ramps and brace the tires, drain the oil, pull the distributor and the (OEM 50 YEAR OLD) starter (and he broke a smalle stud off the solenoid) and then grab some sleep for the night. Next day, we went to drop the oil pan, but found out that it wasn't gonna just drop out. the old man thinks we can get it out without dropping the exhaust, so we remove some bolts from the engine mount and jack up the engine from them, then block off the empty space with sawed off pieces of a 2x6 piece of wood.

Now, before I continue, let me be clear: This couldn't been done in a day or less, but this old man talked and talked, and while he helped a shitton, he talked 1 hour for every 20 he helped. One night he even talked from 9:30 p.m. to 6:00 A.M., and I didn't even utter a word.

Anyhow, turns out that while the engine lift helped a little, it's still not enough. I decide it's time to take off the exhaust, or at least drop it a little. We have no penetrating spray and only a can of WD40, and so with that we try to pry loose the 50 year old washers. No success. We take a blowtorch to them in an effort to expand the metal, but the cast iron is not having it. So we sleep on it (at 5:00 am, thanks to his talking). I wake up a few hours later, and get to work on that exhaust. I get 5 of the 6 nuts out... and snap the last one. Of course. But, I wrangle the oil pan out successfully and scrape the old gasket off. Eventually I am able to get the old man up, and while he's making coffee (at 2:00 p.m.) I pull the (again, ORIGINAL) oil pump out, where he promptly breaks the plastic sleeve connecting the two drive shaft parts. Luckily, the new pump came with one. We also pull the rear main and the seals. Before I can start trying to get things back in he decides he's going to pull the driver's side manifold and try to extract the stud and put in a new one. I figure what the hell, it's already broken, why not? What's the worse that could happen?

He breaks the corner off.

I am a little upset, but take the opportunity to clean out the oil pan and put new gaskets/seal together.

No amount of brazing or welding with what he's got can put it back together. I finally say "gently caress it" and decided another exhaust leak won't break the engine. I don't want him doing any more damage anyhow. So we put it all back together, by which time he's all but given up since he didn't realize it was going to be a 5 day ordeal; Nor did I.
Everything goes back in, and a new starter is bought. Timing is done, alebeit done by ear/eyes/experience, and the car is ready to go.

I arrive at home in Sarasota, having not showered since Friday and covered in motor oil from head to toe, Wednesday night.

I still have low oil pressure and knocking/poor idle at low RPM, I can feel engine vibrations in the car, the old man think I have a bearing issue, but I'm beginning to suspect the Vibration dampener. Maybe both.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

The caddy is in a mexican tire shop getting an all new set of white walls, running me 440.

[edit] Also, the water pump was ALSO an original part. I don't think the guy before me did ANY work on this car.

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 17, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Helped a friend drop and replace the tank on his Mustang to replace a fuel sender unit. With a 3/4 full tank. :suicide:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
1: You spun a bearing.

2: if you're in a left lane, and people are coming up to your bumper, it is your duty to move to the right. You said that people came up on you while you were going 70mph, and then had to wait for a spot right of you to open up, then they passed you. It doesn't matter if the speed limit of the road is 35 and you're going 90 - if somebody comes up on you doing 95, you move to the right and let them pass, even if you have to slow down/speed up to match traffic. If someone passes you on the right, you've done something wrong, because there should be no space to the right of you for them to pass unless you're cruising in the left lane. The only exception to this is HOV lanes, but you were alone, so we can rule that out.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

1: You spun a bearing.

2: if you're in a left lane, and people are coming up to your bumper, it is your duty to move to the right. You said that people came up on you while you were going 70mph, and then had to wait for a spot right of you to open up, then they passed you. It doesn't matter if the speed limit of the road is 35 and you're going 90 - if somebody comes up on you doing 95, you move to the right and let them pass, even if you have to slow down/speed up to match traffic. If someone passes you on the right, you've done something wrong, because there should be no space to the right of you for them to pass unless you're cruising in the left lane. The only exception to this is HOV lanes, but you were alone, so we can rule that out.

I also mentioned he did his lane change recklessly, i.e. almost took me and the next guy out. I drive a big ol caddy, it's not exactly graceful. I give myself a lot of space before I change over.

Anyhow, what can I do about a spun bearing?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

11BulletCatcher posted:

Anyhow, what can I do about a spun bearing?

Rebuild the motor.

And tell us about this "mexican" tire shop.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

A tire shop known locally for doing a good job on tires staffed by two mexicans, and the owner, also mexican, was recently deported by immigration.

That's all there is to know.

And if I had the resources to do a full rebuild, believe me I would. However, if I can get at the bearing from the under the engine and take care of it by myself, then I'd like to do that first.

It's a chevy small block, surely I can get at all the wonderful innards.

And let me add, my oil is clean, no metal or debris or sludge or anything present.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

11BulletCatcher posted:

However, if I can get at the bearing from the under the engine and take care of it by myself, then I'd like to do that first.

No you can't, but the disgusting Mexicans might be able to fix it.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

The (AWESOME!) Mexicans probably could, but I try to do my own stuff before handing it to others. So why can't I do it myself exactly, what's involved? It's a 283 smallblock from 63

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
You're probably going to have to rebuild the lower half of the engine and if you're tearing it that far down you might as well

meatpimp posted:

Rebuild the motor.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Why would anyone go to the trouble of rebuilding a small-block Chevy? Every junkyard in North America has hundreds of them, some likely to be nearly new.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
As a person who is rebuilding a SBC, I can confidently give you one reason:

You're stupid and you like cheap power.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

It's Spring in my eyes even though we're supposed to get snow on Tuesday (found this out afterwards) so I took off the mudflaps and snow tires and put the summer wheels back on... also went a little lower in the front.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

_adam posted:

It's Spring in my eyes even though we're supposed to get snow on Tuesday (found this out afterwards) so I took off the mudflaps and snow tires and put the summer wheels back on... also went a little lower in the front.

Your car is my wet dream :allears:

Very nice, man.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

MrChips posted:

Why would anyone go to the trouble of rebuilding a small-block Chevy? Every junkyard in North America has hundreds of them, some likely to be nearly new.

Because this Small block is the matching engine to the car and sat in a garage for 50 years with only 42,000 miles, non rolled. It's part of the car, and part of it's personality. It's a survivor, not a restoration car.

Anyhow, had a mechanic look it over a just a bit ago, he says it's just one of the worst exhaust leaks he's heard in a long time. I've had him look at it several times and he keeps assuring me that it's not actual knocking.

I know the car drives exactly as it always has.

Still haven't figured out the oil pressure issue.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Where the gently caress did you get 4 whitewall tires for a Caddy for $440 installed? Christ, if that's the case I well overpaid for the last one I got when I ran over a nail.

Well the good news is, if you're putting this much work into it, you might as well keep the Impala! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

11BulletCatcher posted:

Because this Small block is the matching engine to the car and sat in a garage for 50 years with only 42,000 miles, non rolled. It's part of the car, and part of it's personality. It's a survivor, not a restoration car.

BUT NUMBERS-MATCHING!!!

You even said yourself that the car was partially restored in your thread about it, so it isn't even a survivor by anyone's definition; certainly not by anyone who follows classic/collector cars.

Look, if we're talking about some hyper-expensive nostalgia machine that could command six or seven digits on the auction block, I can see the desire (even the need) to keep everything numbers-matching. You're talking about an Impala here...the Toyota Camry of the 1960s; no offense, but they're never going to be all that valuable. If the current engine is done, it can easily cost almost as much to rebuild it as if you went and bought a crate engine, and a hell of a lot more than if you put in one of dozens of suitable junkyard engines available.