Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm a massive fan of everything up to BE, but there are some very acceptable tracks on both Road Salt albums. Scarsick is almost totally garbage, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Finally picked up the new Riverside album. Really liking the next-to-last track, particularly the last 5 minutes or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSiv7U6k6vs

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

RDreamer posted:

That's cool. I had seen she had a project, but didn't know about any solid releases. Unfortunately, though, I think Jon Courtney wrote most of their music, so it's bound to be pretty different.
I think the more interesting part of their sound left with Greg Jong. I just found one of his current projects called Grand Vanity.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

carborexic posted:

Their latest album, March of Ghosts, is also very good. Night was my introduction to Gazpacho and I can't wait to get my hands on the remaster.

Yeah, I really liked March of Ghosts. It was the first one to really click. I had it on my album of the year list last year, too.

Slate Action posted:

She actually has a song out already if you want to hear it: Juno

It's on the soundtrack to an upcoming movie. I don't know if this song will be on her upcoming album.

Interesting song. Not quite PRR, but not terrible I suppose.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I'm listening to a Jethro Tull Bootleg called "Flute-opia". It's from 6-4-1972 in Toronto in which they play the entire Thick As A Brick in their first set. What an incredible performance. The song is actually extended to 68 minutes and there are a lot of Monty Pythonesque theatrics going on throughout. It's a real shame that no decent soundboard recordings are available for this tour. This was JT at their best, I think. The band was tight hell, had a lot of energy, and Ian still had his voice. I was also looking for video from this tour, but only found this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnbeI2EZfPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbt-pmETcWA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLMTqCb4qDU&feature=email
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd4p3Zij09o

Ian's touring the complete song now (as well as the sequel), and I hear the show's great, and they added more theatrics. I missed them when they came around my way, but hopefully this time they'll release a decent recording and a DVD. It's just too bad because Ian's voice isn't what it used to be so it won't be the same.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 24, 2013

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Here's an album I recorded with a friend of mine several years ago, just released now though. I would consider it progressive rock, with a lot of influences from Nine Inch Nails, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, and Tori Amos. It took a long time to perfect, but I think it came out great.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/for-aoede/id602761798

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

I went and got the flac download of The Raven That Refused To Sing (before deciding on the vinyl edition) and it is brilliant. It is far and away the best thing I've listened to in years and if anything comes close this year I am going to be very surprised. I was really excited to hear that Parsons was involved and it definitely paid off bringing him on, as everything simply sounds amazing-- clear and rich. With Theo Travis and the original mellotron from Court featuring there are more than a few nods to early KC. I will absolutely be getting this on vinyl.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

carborexic posted:

I went and got the flac download of The Raven That Refused To Sing (before deciding on the vinyl edition) and it is brilliant. It is far and away the best thing I've listened to in years and if anything comes close this year I am going to be very surprised. I was really excited to hear that Parsons was involved and it definitely paid off bringing him on, as everything simply sounds amazing-- clear and rich. With Theo Travis and the original mellotron from Court featuring there are more than a few nods to early KC. I will absolutely be getting this on vinyl.

Got the special edition in the mail today and I must agree, the album is outstanding. Better than Grace for Drowning in my opinion. GfD was very clear in it's inspiration from classic prog and lost some of it's identity to it, with the obvious nods and winks to the prog of the past (Sectarian, Raider II, Track One) mixed with the more modern sounding stuff (Index, No Part of Me) making it feel like two different albums forced into one. The Raven is more cohesive, and while it's also inspired by classic prog it seems fresher and more natural, rather then just aping someone else's style from 40 years ago.
The 5.1 mix is also one of the best I've heard, if you're into that kind of thing.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I missed out on the special edition, I was waiting until it released so I could order other stuff at the same time (Burning Shed pre-orders are given their own shipping cost when you order it with something else). I've been checking Headphone Dust religiously hoping they'd have some of them for sale, and they're selling the album now but only in the regular formats :( And the bastard flippers are already selling the deluxe edition for $200+ so I basically have no hope of getting it. It's a fantastic album though, will probably order the blu-ray and vinyl next week.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

I'm a massive fan of everything up to BE, but there are some very acceptable tracks on both Road Salt albums. Scarsick is almost totally garbage, however.

I couldn't get into either Road Salt at all, but I still really like a few tracks off Scarsick. Flame to the Moth and Enter Rain are great closers, and Mrs Modern Mother Mary has a really infectious rhythm, and I really dig the twisted vocal line, even if the subject matter is a bit preachy. Really that was the biggest turn-off of the album for me, it just felt like a huge teenage angst fit against America because they denied his passport or whatever. Also the rapping gets a bit embarrassing when he doesn't use it sparingly.

Since a couple of people mentioned Oceansize without bringing up any albums, I should really urge anyone to try out Frames if they haven't. It's somewhere at a crossroads between prog rock, alt rock, post rock, and occasionally metal. But rather than trying to pander to the staples of the genres it evokes, it takes the best elements and streamlines them, and the product is one of the most accomplished and mature examples of using things like long form song structure and odd time signatures in a really effective and listenable way.

One of the rockier tracks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PpLPx6XvIk
A slow builder - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYmaS1c9Xr0
The heaviest track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQnDH9SQ6Sc

Their other stuff varies in style a bit, from what I've listened to. You'll probably like Self Preserved if you like Frames, and Home & Minor if you want to hear more of their ambient side. Effloresce has some great tracks but I haven't listened to it much yet. Their other stuff I'm slowly making my way through, but the friend who got me into them swears by pretty much all of it.

Also nthing the praise for Steven Wilson's new one. Marco just shot right the gently caress up my list of favourite drummers.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

I couldn't get into either Road Salt at all, but I still really like a few tracks off Scarsick. Flame to the Moth and Enter Rain are great closers, and Mrs Modern Mother Mary has a really infectious rhythm, and I really dig the twisted vocal line, even if the subject matter is a bit preachy. Really that was the biggest turn-off of the album for me, it just felt like a huge teenage angst fit against America because they denied his passport or whatever. Also the rapping gets a bit embarrassing when he doesn't use it sparingly.

I sort of see Scarsick as Daniel's midlife crisis and hope it's over.

I think the Road Salt albums are especially tricky to get into because they have such a different sound, but the quality of tracks like Sisters and Where It Hurts off RS1 and To The Shoreline and The Deeper Cut off RS2 is up there with some of the better PoS tracks in my opinion, once you're used to the production.

The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) is an absolutely brilliant, fantastic (insert superlatives) album, it absolutely revels in the "classic" prog sound with mellotrons, flutes, sax, etc. etc. but the sound is not truly "progressive" in the original sense, whereas I would say at least PoS tried a new sound with the Road Salt albums, even if it wasn't a total success.

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 2, 2013

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I'm of the opinion that the Road Salt project was exactly what PoS needed after the mess that Be was and the letdown of Scarsick. And I think it works really well, their best stuff since Remedy Lane. A different approach to writing albums was probably what Gildenløv needed.

Except for the production. I get what they were going for, but it just sounds like rear end.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm a big fan of pretty much everything Pain of Salvation has put out...except, oddly enough, One Hour by the Concrete Lake. Most badass name for an album, but I really could never get into it. Anyway, Be is one of my favorite albums ever. It's so over the top pretentious, but it works for me. I just love that sort of combination of musical with progressive rock. I was turned off a bit by the subject matter of Scarsick when it first came out, but once you get past that it's a pretty great album. I even think he does have a few great lyrical gems amidst angst. I'm a huge fan of both Road Salt albums. Put together it's a pretty great masterpiece. Side A of RS1 is nothing but great stuff. Love the bluesy feel of She Likes to Hide, and the haunting creepiness of Sisters. I love the mood of Of Dust, too, and the quirkiness of Sleeping Under the Stars. The title track is one of the most emotional pieces they've made. It's simple but effective. I think Daniel's vocals really works well with the type of songs on these albums, too. He shines to me with the bluesy gritty sort of stuff.

I think he should have really tried to release it as a double album, though. I kind of feel like the wait for the first one, then the long wait for the 2nd one that we all knew was coming kind of made it feel to some people like they had changed their sound. In reality it was just one project, released a bit slower. They didn't change it any more than they changed sounds permanently after Be or Scarsick. I'm sure he'll be back with something different next (after the acoustic album).

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I just bought a copy of Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull (with the newspaper completely untouched and undamaged :woop:) and I am enjoying it a lot more than Aqualung so far.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Pain of Salvation's Be is the only album I can think of that could benefit from being longer. A double album would have given the (incredible complex, over the top, unnecessary, pretentious) concept room to breath more, so the album wouldn't feel like a barely coherent collection of excerpts from different ideas.
I agree the voice work on RS is pretty good, even if it is a bit too loud in the mix. And I'm pretty sure there is a third Road Salt album coming. I might be mistaken but I seem to remember it going to be a trilogy.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

david puddy posted:

I just bought a copy of Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull (with the newspaper completely untouched and undamaged :woop:) and I am enjoying it a lot more than Aqualung so far.

Check out A Passion Play too (another one song album). Listening to the bootlegs from that now. Great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=445HDZlQ5p0&list=PLE1111F1E0FF1A721&index=127

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

Attitude Indicator posted:

Pain of Salvation's Be is the only album I can think of that could benefit from being longer. A double album would have given the (incredible complex, over the top, unnecessary, pretentious) concept room to breath more, so the album wouldn't feel like a barely coherent collection of excerpts from different ideas.
I agree the voice work on RS is pretty good, even if it is a bit too loud in the mix. And I'm pretty sure there is a third Road Salt album coming. I might be mistaken but I seem to remember it going to be a trilogy.

Really? I don't remember anything like this at all.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

RDreamer posted:

Really? I don't remember anything like this at all.

No wonder. I checked their homepage and it seems I dreamt it all up. My apologies.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

No wonder. I checked their homepage and it seems I dreamt it all up. My apologies.

Yeah, google wasn't returning anything for me, and I asked a fellow PoS enthusiast friend, we neither heard anything. It was originally just a double album that got split because of record label stuff.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
If there's one thing that I've noticed never fails to divide PoS fans it's the snare sound on One Hour By The Concrete Lake. I personally love it, but can understand why some people don't.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the snare, but the production overall is kind of blah on that album. The songwriting throughout isn't up to par, and the production doesn't help it any. Shame, because Inside is a pretty great starting song, but the rest just never interested me as much as the rest of the PoS discography.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Be is great, but the live version is infinitely better. They're so tight and energetic and Daniel's vocals are amazing. I can't listen to the studio version any more.

One Hour sounds a bit poo poo but I love the tracks that made it onto Second Death, which was also a pretty great performance.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

The first time I listened to PoS is when I saw them live (opened for Dream Theater) and it was pretty good, but when I tried to listen to them after that there were only a few songs I liked (Beyond the Pale is the only title I can remember).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

david puddy posted:

The first time I listened to PoS is when I saw them live (opened for Dream Theater) and it was pretty good, but when I tried to listen to them after that there were only a few songs I liked (Beyond the Pale is the only title I can remember).
I had a weird experience with Remedy Lane. I knew I would like it but didn't yet, so I kind of had to force myself to listen to the whole album about a half dozen times before it clicked.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
I introduced a friend to PoS with Remedy Lane and his first reaction was "sounds like some emo bullshit." Now they're his favourite band. :)

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

I was introduced with Be. It was the weird pomp and pretentiousness that really got me excited. I love it when bands try to do crazy, ridiculous things like that.

Now Remedy Lane and Be fight for my favorite PoS album.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

The Raven that Refused to Sing is my new fave! The way that ebow solo comes in on the second track made me piss my pants, surprised nobody mentioned how awesome it is to have Guthrie Govan in a band with Steven Wilson- though all the musicians and production are superb. Just when the very sound of something is sooo right, you know those people are monster talented.

Need to check out the new Riverside, those guys are cool and really have their own sound going.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Also really really enjoying The Raven That Refused To Sing. It's by far the best thing Steven Wilson has done, including Porcupine Tree. Could in fact be one of my favourite albums ever. Will be seeing them here in Stockholm next week, super excited about that. I saw them last year and it was fantastic, adding Guthrie Govan on top of that has made the whole band exponentially better, so this should really be something.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Also really really enjoying The Raven That Refused To Sing. It's by far the best thing Steven Wilson has done, including Porcupine Tree. Could in fact be one of my favourite albums ever. Will be seeing them here in Stockholm next week, super excited about that. I saw them last year and it was fantastic, adding Guthrie Govan on top of that has made the whole band exponentially better, so this should really be something.

I've had trouble getting into Steven Wilson's stuff before, but this album nailed it for me. It's really great.

I've also been listening to a ton of echolyn lately, particularly their s/t and Mei. I really dig their sound and vocals, they're definitely worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoyegXZm9g8

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Anyone been to see Yes yet? Tour started, like, a week ago, so I figured I'd ask.

Never seen 'em live, wondering if it's actually worth a 5-hour trip. I basically expect to hear something that sounds like a reasonable facsimile, at probably 80% of the speed, and so I'm leaning towards not going. If the setlist wasn't three of their best albums, I'd already have ruled it out... but, you know, I'm a sucker. How's the new vocalist?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Anyone been to see Yes yet? Tour started, like, a week ago, so I figured I'd ask.

Never seen 'em live, wondering if it's actually worth a 5-hour trip. I basically expect to hear something that sounds like a reasonable facsimile, at probably 80% of the speed, and so I'm leaning towards not going. If the setlist wasn't three of their best albums, I'd already have ruled it out... but, you know, I'm a sucker. How's the new vocalist?
I'd have flat-out said "don't waste your time" with Benoit David, but Jon Davison is actually a really good singer if rather doofy onstage. Steve Howe has come out the other side of the ugly barometer and looks like Dana Carvey playing the Church Lady :shobon:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Indeed, but Howe is, I think, a severely underrated guitarist. He's very versatile, plays well in a number of genres, and is equally imaginative in his rhythm guitar parts as he is with his leads. He seems to have extensive chordal knowledge as well. He may not blaze through solos like a Steve Vai or someone, but he's always been a fascinating guitarist to me.

I'm actually tempted to pick up his first solo album - I think it's just called "The Steve Howe Album," - but few people seem to have heard it.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm actually tempted to pick up his first solo album - I think it's just called "The Steve Howe Album," - but few people seem to have heard it.

Is that the album where he sings himself, and it's wonderfully bad?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Is that the album where he sings himself, and it's wonderfully bad?

That might be his first album, "Beginnings"

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Steve Howe is one of my favorite guitarists, he has one of the most unique voices on the instrument in the rock world. Eschewing blues influences in favor of country, classical, and jazz was a really novel idea at the time.

As for seeing Yes, if its both convenient and inexpensive I'd consider it. I'd either of those conditions aren't there I would probably pass. I also hesitate to give those fuckers any money after how they treated Jon Anderson.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Thirding Steve Howe as one of the best guitarists out there. Definitely one of my biggest influences.

As far as them playing 80% more slowly than they used to on this upcoming tour, that may be the case, but I wouldn't be too sure. I've seen Yes three times. Once in 2000 for the Masterworks tour, second in 2001 for the Symphonic tour, and last in 2004 for the Wakeman reunion tour. The second show was probably my favorite. I really liked the way the orchestral arrangements worked with songs like Gates of Delirium and Ritual. The first and last were great shows too, but even by then the slow down on the intro to Close to the Edge was noticeable. There was also a bit of a slowdown, albeit less noticeable, in the fast sections of Heart of the Sunrise. The slowdown worked in the symphonic concert. But in the concerts where it was just the five of them, it definitely lacked energy. I don't think any of the other songs were slowed down at all, if they were it wasn't noticeable to me. But the intro to Close to the Edge has definitely lost the ferocious energy it had in the 70s. 2004 definitely had less energy than the the other two shows. I'm not sure if it was because the guys were just getting old and tired of the constant touring, or they just hadn't practiced as much. Probably a combination those things. I don't think the actual tempo was slowed down much if at all though. They seemed to match the tempo of the records at least, except for the intro to Close to the Edge. But Yes, in the seventies, was always much more energetic live than they were on the studio albums. That is no longer the case. In the concerts I saw, they tended to stick pretty close to the studio albums, which is fine, but I always preferred the heavier live sound they had in the 70s. Just listen to Yessongs, Yesshows, or the King Biscuit Flower Hour 1974 recording for a taste of how good they used to be live.

In the shows I've seen Jon Anderson could still hit all the notes and they didn't have to drop any keys, but his voice had definitely grown a little more strained and shrill since the 80s. He still sounded great for the most part though, but not as pleasant as he used to sound. I always wondered why their new songs tended to have so much more vocal parts than the older ones. The long instrumental sections of their 70s songs allowed Anderson to rest his voice, and it also provided some awesome jams. But even on their newer "prog rock epics" of the 90s and 2000s (ie. That That Is, In the Presence Of, Homeworld), Anderson's vocal parts seemed much more frequent. I always wished they'd give his voice more of a rest, since his higher notes had definitely become more shrill in the later years, and wasn't as pleasant to listen to on a frequent basis. In 2004 you could tell the frequent shows were starting to take their toll out on his voice, and I didn't blame him for bowing out for a few years. I was quite surprised, and somewhat troubled, that they replaced him altogether. This seemed like a bit of a dick move. I think he went along with it at first, because it was understood to be a temporary measure, but now I think it's permanent, and Jon Anderson doesn't seem very happy about it. I don't blame him. They screwed him over, which is one of the reasons I refused to see them since then.

The album, Far From Here, is pretty good and Benoit David sounds pretty good on it. But I've seen some youtube videos of them performing with Benoit David in 2011 that were simply awful. Everything seemed slowed down, there was little to no energy, and the vocals were weak. 2011 was definitely a bad year for them live. But I've also seen some youtube videos of them performing with Jon Davison in 2012 that were quite good, some great even. Davison is a much better singer, and the band seemed to have regained some of their energy. I think 2011 was a bit of a wake up call for them, forcing them to spend more time practicing and polishing their set. They don't have the same ferocious energy they had in the 70s, but they at least are able to match the tempo and energy levels of the studio recordings again, and in some cases surpassing it. They sounded quite similar to how they sounded in 2000 during the masterworks tour. I am considering checking out Yes this year as well, since the albums they're touring are some of my favorites as well. I'm not expecting the intro to close to the edge to be as fast as they used to play it, but I'm expecting them to at least match what they were able to do in the studio on everything else. I think they can still put on a show worth seeing.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 18, 2013

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
And speaking of Yes guitarists, Peter Banks died today. :(

I had friended him on Facebook, and on more than one occasion he posted a status simply reading "peter banks," because he was probably not good with computers.

I'm going to go check out his post-Yes material now. I'd been meaning to for some time, but never got around to it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 12, 2013

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

And speaking of Yes guitarists, Peter Banks died today. :(

I had friended him on Facebook, and on more than one occasion he posted a status simply reading "peter banks," because he was probably not good with computers.

drat that's sad. He's the first Yes casualty, I think. Have any other former Yes members died? He's another one that screwed over by Yes, the first one to get fired from the band, in fact (first casualty in a different way). I think them firing him was one of the reasons Bill Bruford later left. He was good friends with him, and I've heard him say in interviews that when they decided to fire him he felt like a lot of the comradery in the band was lost. They got a better guitarist, and likely would not have not have been successful had it not been for what Steve Howe brought to the table, but still, it was a bit of a dick move, and the band felt less like a band of brothers and more like a cutthroat business arrangement after he was fired. Peter Banks was a great guitarist at time where there were too many other great guitarists. That's why Ian Anderson picked up the flute.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 12, 2013

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

thanks dude up the page who mentioned Echolyn, i completely forgot about those guys. they've got some awesome personality in their music!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, I've been listening to prog since I was about 15, I guess (22 now) and I've always absolutely adored it. I didn't listen to anything other than classical music until I was 14 and had 'discovered' The Beatles and from there I was determined to listen to everything recorded in the 60s and 70s. Came across Procol Harum by chance then over the next couple of years got into Yes, King Crimson, Caravan, Camel, Khan, VdGG, PFM, SBB etc and later on Gentle Giant. My iTunes artist list has been pretty static since then so I need recommendations. To make it easier I'll list the bands I tried and didn't like, much to my disappointment:

Genesis
Pink Floyd
Soft Machine
Jethro Tull
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Robert Wyatt
Gong
Renaissance
Hatfield and the North
Marillion
ELP

I've been listening to Yezda Urfa's Boris on and off and I'm digging it more and more. I'm considering trying out Cos' Viva Boma and Quiet Sun's Mainstream, going by PA's recommendations. Anything else? Got plenty of time. :)