Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Should I log in to see if they finally fixed NTs? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Should I log in to see if they finally fixed NTs? :smith:

They're completely* fixed**!

* if your idea of everything you want to do is kite hecklers
** no seriously i hope you like doing the heckler work while everyone else sits down

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

ahmeni posted:

They're completely* fixed**!

* if your idea of everything you want to do is kite hecklers
** no seriously i hope you like doing the heckler work while everyone else sits down

Working as intended.

The Funcom motto for AO.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
NTs can one-shot non-enforcer classes with Izgimmer's Triple, hope you have your cyberdeck and 2.2k nanoskills though.

No seriously. Triple hits to counter their own 40% rule, even.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
But if they do that they can't use Nullity sphere! :downs:

I could've sworn they did some other nerf to triple as well but this was a long time ago and I'm probably wrong.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Aberroyc posted:

Working as intended.

The Funcom motto for AO.

My favorite "working as intended" are the chests in The Crypt of Home, wherein no matter what they won't open and the original dude who designed the place no longer works for them and apparently it's such a mess of spaghetti code that they don't know how it's supposed to work, nor will they reveal the conditions on which it's supposed to open.

That was a few years ago, though. Maybe it's solved by now?

fake edit:
woah looked it up and it finally did get answered

Colin Cragg, ex-game director posted:

Is CoH chest openable?

Not right now...but for the future...who knows. At this point when it DOES open it should be something pretty special

Only took 6 years to get a response that something wasn't implemented. Funcom! :allears:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Peechka posted:

I always said that they should of done an AO2 rather than spend countless cash on the now dead Conan and soon to be dead TSW. They had a gem with this game that just needed a thorough update to modern in terms of UI, graphics, poo poo, even make it like a true FPS/RPG shooter.

Shame about TSW, they almost had a thing there. Personally I played it tons at release but gave up on it after taking a break for few months. With the classless skill system they have, there's just too much setups to remember and items swap to be able to be useful or even wanted in a team that I didn't feel like trying to re-learn all that.

While AO is a complex game, at least if I resub here after a few years I still know what my class is, what it can do and what it should do.

gently caress classless systems, AO 4ever :frogc00l:

e: in hindsight, got a slight snort out of myself as I realized that I just complained about item swapping in TSW. In AO my main character carries probably ten bags of buff items and two or three of those are hotswappables I need to self-buff etc. Ahahahaaahahah. Awesome.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I legit spent all my IP on my TL5 guys just so I wouldn't have to hotswap for self-buffs, gently caress building for endgame like hell I'm leveling these guys up.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

killstealing posted:

I legit spent all my IP on my TL5 guys just so I wouldn't have to hotswap for self-buffs, gently caress building for endgame like hell I'm leveling these guys up.

Yeah. My main character is a trox fixer, you see. Most of the hotswap hell comes from selfing best spinners and things like that. It's really. loving. Annoying.

And after I've cast it, another hotswap hell for agility/sense to be able to selfequip my usual fixer gear.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I played AO once before as a newbie but didn't make it very far, and this was after the game had gone into decline. Though I absolutely love the setting, music and atmosphere to it. It looks like the developers mixed Dune with Blade Runner.

I'd like to play it again. But Jesus Christ. If the game wasn't so byzantine.

Vaashila
Feb 4, 2011

I have a strange feeling about those eyes...

killstealing posted:

Probably should have spent it on swimming instead.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Vaashila posted:

Probably should have spent it on swimming instead.

Pshaw. Hydro vehicle all the way.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Pshaw. Hydro vehicle all the way.

Until you fall into water in a mission and we all wait the 5 minutes it takes you to swim the 5 feet to the ramp out!

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
I saw maybe one hydro vehicle ever. I actually liked that there were tons of useless but neat things to do/find/spend months trying to do.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

ahmeni posted:

Until you fall into water in a mission and we all wait the 5 minutes it takes you to swim the 5 feet to the ramp out!

Team warp to grid, seriously, gently caress swimming.

Zav
Mar 12, 2013
Dodgeman on RK2 pumped up his swimming to max and would pop swimming stims. It was ingenious. You couldn't catch his rear end in pvp if he was near water.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You got one shot at him with yalm + ranged alpha but if you failed, enjoy /terminating.

Zav
Mar 12, 2013

killstealing posted:

You got one shot at him with yalm + ranged alpha but if you failed, enjoy /terminating.

Nice grammar.

And no. Doctors couldn't one shot Traders.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Getting that first yalm was a real gaming sense of accomplishment. I sort of cheated though because most of the money came from winning an R.U.R. contest. :toot:

KillTrash
Dec 6, 2007

Game Fiend
Yalmahas were awesome. The other day some WoW friends of mine were bragging that WoW was one of the first MMOs to offer flying mounts. I was like "Bitch, please. AO did that so many years ago!". I miss AO golden times so much... :(

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zav posted:

Nice grammar.

And no. Doctors couldn't one shot Traders.

I meant that you had one final shot using a yalm as he would swim away. Not that doctors could one-shot traders (not to mention the 40% rule would need an alpha to be split into three anyway).

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 14, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

So killstealing, since you're playing and all, how is that population doing? Roughly how many people are there lft on low and mid levels during whenever it is you play?

KillTrash posted:

Yalmahas were awesome. The other day some WoW friends of mine were bragging that WoW was one of the first MMOs to offer flying mounts. I was like "Bitch, please. AO did that so many years ago!". I miss AO golden times so much... :(

Why did they add a maximum height anyway? Yalm is supposed to be able to take you halfway to space before you jump out :mad:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Someone gave me a behe when I asked and there were like twenty people in borealis. That's all I know.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Did you tip at least 5 mil to not look like scrub

Zav
Mar 12, 2013

killstealing posted:

I meant that you had one final shot using a yalm as he would swim away. Not that doctors could one-shot traders (not to mention the 40% rule would need an alpha to be split into three anyway).

Oh. That was pretty much gone when most of us got to 160+ level range and pvp on Rk2 got to be really competitive. I remember 1 shotting was around when I first started to pvp.

What was really fun though for a short time when UVC was not a self-buff for MAs was running around with missile raid pistols or w/e they were called. The only possible way of dying with those was being foolish enough to get out ranged.

God this game was so much fun for about a year. If funcom made AO2 with the same sort of character development as the first... I would play nothing else.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zav posted:

Oh. That was pretty much gone when most of us got to 160+ level range and pvp on Rk2 got to be really competitive. I remember 1 shotting was around when I first started to pvp.

I remember PvP being pretty competitive in the early stages (where low level tower wars definitely had their share of 100-0 alphas) but do you mean tower wars, the daily Tara deathball or BGs? I kind of quit PvP when the population dwindled down and GMs started to actively punish PvP-based `griefing`.

AO2 would make me instantly subscribe.

Zav
Mar 12, 2013

killstealing posted:

I remember PvP being pretty competitive in the early stages (where low level tower wars definitely had their share of 100-0 alphas) but do you mean tower wars, the daily Tara deathball or BGs? I kind of quit PvP when the population dwindled down and GMs started to actively punish PvP-based `griefing`.

AO2 would make me instantly subscribe.

Notum Wars expansion was 8-12 months after the game was released I think. To me, Notum Wars fouled up the game. People just went to big factions/guilds, and the buffs from towers you get were pretty OP. I was a big misfit in that game. I was at one point the most hated person on my server for ninjaing GPH heh.

I am talking about when people would duel in Tir Arena, and some of us would gank it up. Or when MeetMeDere was pvp gas zone (I think that got changed at some point). And I believe the other pvp spot was 2h0. That will always be the most fun time I had in that game.

Alphas were huge. But as a trader if I was able to drain people before they got them off their AR would be crappy and it wouldn't hurt me all that much.

I didn't like that game after they neutered traders. I eventually p lvled a MA. But to me funcom when about class balancing the wrong way. Certain classes at certain times were just unplayable in team or random pvp.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Funcom's idea of balance at one point became rock-paper-scissors in the worst possible way. Classes that already had an advantage in a matchup suddenly became unbeatable thanks to nemesis nanos while other matchups maintained status quo. Honestly I liked tower wars a lot since they had tangible results. The tower buffs were good but you had to keep your fields up lest someone take them. This all changed obviously when everyone just joined one side.

Zav
Mar 12, 2013

killstealing posted:

Funcom's idea of balance at one point became rock-paper-scissors in the worst possible way. Classes that already had an advantage in a matchup suddenly became unbeatable thanks to nemesis nanos while other matchups maintained status quo. Honestly I liked tower wars a lot since they had tangible results. The tower buffs were good but you had to keep your fields up lest someone take them. This all changed obviously when everyone just joined one side.

Tower wars could be fun. But at the time I had a 56k modem and cable internet was not in my town, haha. It could be hellishly laggy. My first computer ran the game fairly well, but I would freeze up still in major combat.

Omni and Clan flipped back and forth with the player population. I started clan and went omni. And switched back and forth once again. I think Omni-Tek had the better looking cities. And at the time I played on RK-2, clan was filled with brats. But had a lot of cool people I still would talk to. I never felt loyal to a side in that game. Which was kind of a neat aspect of that game. You could pretty much befriend anyone.

Before the Great Computer failure of 2005 (when i had to resort to IRL activities because i had no moniez for moarrr computars), something neat happened in tower wars. There was a neutral and Omni-Tek alliance, where neutrals were beginning to own tower fields.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I went Clan because I'm really bad at navigating and West Athens was easier. Literally it. Later on I went to the Omni-Tek subway on my Clan subway twinks, it was fun.

Zav
Mar 12, 2013

killstealing posted:

I went Clan because I'm really bad at navigating and West Athens was easier. Literally it. Later on I went to the Omni-Tek subway on my Clan subway twinks, it was fun.

I had a soldier with that SL only gun with burst. I solo'd half a clan tower field with it lol.

That's really one thing I truly miss about that game. You could make insane twinks. My friend Maryjane in that game was notorious for midlevel pvp.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I put 1.5 bil worth of alien armor on a 25 enforcer with inspect toggled on, people just shook their heads. Suckers, I could easily solo Abmouth Supremus and at 1m/NCU ring it was a solid investment...

Easily the most fun I've had with 3 notepads and a casio calculator.

Zav
Mar 12, 2013
If all the content became free to play I would consider downloading it just to see how much twinking I could do.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Shadowlands was the deal-breaker for me. It drained away most of the population from RK and left an already pretty empty feeling world even emptier. The loss of the original artists hurt alot as new items from that point on had lovely icons and generally looked lousy. Lots of reskins, some with terrible textures that made them look flat. The AO look was diluted.

If they wanted to just rebuild AO in a modern engine and lock it down to RK and spare us all the SL and alien horseshit that would be fine with me.

Zav
Mar 12, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Shadowlands was the deal-breaker for me. It drained away most of the population from RK and left an already pretty empty feeling world even emptier. The loss of the original artists hurt alot as new items from that point on had lovely icons and generally looked lousy. Lots of reskins, some with terrible textures that made them look flat. The AO look was diluted.

If they wanted to just rebuild AO in a modern engine and lock it down to RK and spare us all the SL and alien horseshit that would be fine with me.

I know what you mean. A "classic" AO that had a modern engine without SL and above expansions would be nice. I am not a big lore whore when it comes to mmos. But that game went from greedy capitalists (Omni) and dirty hippies (clans)to buttraiding aliens.

Matrix-7
Apr 29, 2007

Hey, bro, fade into the shade! You're bad news - obituary column style!
I both loved and hated this game. The community was always pretty awesome from what I remember, with tasty bits of drama thrown in every now and then to keep things interesting. I just hated the grind and being forced through the same boring path on every character. When I finally headed over to WOW I remember freaking out over the fact you could actually level on your own and make decent money with minimal effort. I did like the mass pvp though, even if it was just following a blob around and spamming the assist macros before the server would crash. Some of those tower battles lasted for hours. Wonder if the merge would kick that off again.

I've been keeping tabs on AO since I left around 09 but it looks like they haven't done much at all and it's just gone stale. Is Alien Armour still the height of fashion? Are cities still being farmed over and over for those sweet yet expensive bots?

Just tried logging into my old FC account to check things out and got hit with an e-mail verification block which goes to a long dead e-mail. :smith:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mormon Star Wars posted:

If they ever want a big playerbase again, they'd need to fix the mission system to be more likely to provide rewards you can use. The game is fun, but what isn't fun is sitting at a mission terminal with that third party program that automates your mouse clicks and rejects missions until you get something relevant.

I could see how that wouldn't be so bad with a big population, but the game doesn't exactly have that anymore.

I have less than fond memories of running the mission terminal automation program for 3 hours on a fixer so I could mission rush the objective to get a tango dirk for my shade. God, the mission system in AO sucked hard.

Also farming grid armor, with mission terminal settings to maximize plant spawns.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I'm a week in now and enjoying it. I'd recommend it to any experienced mmog player that wants to play around with character building and do some casual exploring. Reading a gamefaqs newbie guide and chatting with a seasoned player that was offering help has covered a lot of the basics for me. I've got my characters going through cycles now of: missions for new armor and weapons and grab a few levels, upgrade nanos and grab a few levels, upgrade implants and grab a few levels; and repeat.

The dungeon experience is fine but limited, and will grow repetitive for taking alts through. Did subways for a bit, and started hitting ToTW two nights ago. On the second time through ToTW I think I've seen 90% of the dungeon and have a good chunk of it memorized. I've been invited to small pickup groups most times I've been in the dungeons, so I don't feel like I'm missing content due to lack of necessary players to group with.

Its still good for exploring through the first time as everything is new and fresh. I've only run into decent players, in public hangouts like Rome Blue and Borealis, and in the dungeon runs, so thats nice. Not tons of people, but certainly not void of folks either. Places to hang if you want to play socially, and plenty of corners to run off to if you want to explore and do your own thing.

We'll see how it goes. Just got my main adventurer to 40 last night and have a few alts at the 10-15 range. I can definitely see myself playing a good 10-20 hours a week for the next month. I game more in the winter and little in the summer; so its a good, free game to tide me over til spring time fully sets in.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I still haven't been to a game dungeon that felt grubbier than The Subway. Giant fleas, flyswarmed infectors. Yuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers

Dick Trauma posted:

I still haven't been to a game dungeon that felt grubbier than The Subway. Giant fleas, flyswarmed infectors. Yuck.

ToTw best dungeon. Get all the way down to legionnaires only to find like 10 other groups there and then someone trains and everyone runs all the way back out the entrance. :sigh:

• Locked thread