Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Large oil capacity and cooling with thermostatic control raises the life of oil dramatically, in addition to advances in modern oils in the past decade. Subarus seem to burn a lot, nothing I've ever owned (19 cars) has burned as much as my 99 OBS with 100K or so on it. I imagine that is more of an issue than oil actually wearing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Subarus have retard high oil pressures and very powerful oil pumps compared to other cars that I've been in, so that might have something to do with it.

My OBS has mostly stopped leaking oil although it still happily burns it. I'm thinking it's about time to do a proper oil change.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

daslog posted:

The 7K is what Subaru does for all their cars now.

That just defies everything about breaking in an engine. I'd completely ignore Subaru on that one and change at 1500kms.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cat Terrist posted:

That just defies everything about breaking in an engine. I'd completely ignore Subaru on that one and change at 1500kms.

I think it's more to do with the idea that breaking in an engine is a relic of a past era.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

daslog posted:

I think it's more to do with the idea that breaking in an engine is a relic of a past era.

Could this be tighter tolerances (in manufacturing) causing less engine wear/metal shavings leading to less of a need for a break in oil change? Or are people just not caring so Subaru just gave up on trying to push it?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

daslog posted:

I trust Subaru on that one about as much as I trust their oil pickup designs

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
If Subaru dynos their engines first, I don't see the problem. Of course, the extra $50 or so you spend in extra oil changes is cheap insurance.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
If you really want to see if the oil change was necessary, cut the oil filter and examine the filter material for metal flakes.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Amandyke posted:

If you really want to see if the oil change was necessary, cut the oil filter and examine the filter material for metal flakes.

I imagine you'd get a bunch of metal flakes into the filter cutting it if not careful :3:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My dealership recommended the first oil change for both my 2013 STi and my mom's 2013 WRX at 3k. They're the biggest WRX/STi dealer in the country so I follow their lead based on all the poo poo they've seen.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cat Terrist posted:

It's different when you know what you are doing. I'd say 99.99% of Subaru buyers don't have a clue.

Saerjin
Jun 29, 2009
Could a P0325 knock sensor code possibly be anything other than a bad sensor?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Saerjin posted:

Could a P0325 knock sensor code possibly be anything other than a bad sensor?
For me, it was the knock sensor literally breaking in half around the mounting bolt with a huge crack up the outside of the casing and penetrating into the guts. It's mounted in a fairly accessible place though it's a pain to get a wrench on.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Any thoughts on the Cobb stage 2 power pack for an 08 STi? I could drive down and pick it up in Los Angeles along with a pro tune from them. I like the fact that it's got california legal cats. Gonna have to smog this bad boy. Or I could smog my car then put a turboback on it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

I like the fact that it's got california legal cats.

I don't think it does. But other than that it's nice stuff and I'm friends with a lot of those guys.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

Any thoughts on the Cobb stage 2 power pack for an 08 STi? I could drive down and pick it up in Los Angeles along with a pro tune from them. I like the fact that it's got california legal cats. Gonna have to smog this bad boy. Or I could smog my car then put a turboback on it.
Since when is Cobb's downpipe CARB legal? They don't have an EO number as far as I can tell.

Also, $2300 seems like a poo poo load of money for that and it doesn't even come with a real tune.

Note that passing smog with stg 2 is as easy as swapping the downpipe.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Yarrrrgh. Someone was telling me that the cats Cobb uses are stamped CA legal. Is this horse poo poo? I couldn't find much about it on their website. Perhaps I need to call them tomorrow.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

Yarrrrgh. Someone was telling me that the cats Cobb uses are stamped CA legal. Is this horse poo poo? I couldn't find much about it on their website. Perhaps I need to call them tomorrow.

It is. OBDII cats are rare. It would be very expensive to be approved, especially on a low volume car like an STI (Most are for like Mustang GTs and LS1s). So they would be screaming about it on thier website if they had CARB approval. They don't.

Also COBB does not appear to have an EO number for any OBDII cats for any car.

Someone (not cobb) was dicking around and selling downpipes with OBD1 cats welded in. These are horseshit as well because that cat, while it will have an EO number, is not approved for a subaru, but rather something sold in 1978 or so. As far as I know there is nothing CARB legal for power on a subaru except intakes and exempt items (cat-backs and intercoolers). Engine swaps are also legal if you do them correctly, contrary to popular myth.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 14, 2013

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

Not that I know, but it seems to me that if they were, they'd advertise the fact. I mean, from what I understand, getting something CARB certified is a non-trivial event, so they'd probably make it known after the pain in the rear end that is getting an EO number.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, K&N/AEM is one of the few places that has anything carb approved and it is because they are huge and can afford it and all the testing, and it's only for their intakes.

What I would always recommend is keeping the stock downpipe and swapping it in for the smog check. So for example if you have a turboback and a carb approved intake, you could just swap the downpipe and reflash to the stock map and be set.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Speaking of ca smog...

*cough*

Alternatively would it be necessary to change out my grimmspeed turbo to downpipe gasket once I swapped the stock one in then back out?

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 14, 2013

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Ok, well thanks for the input guys. I guess I need to keep my stock equipment around for passing smog. Good to know it's doable without anything too sketchy besides a little equipment swap and map flash.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

Subaru also said run 7.5k mile oil changes in their 05 legacy GTs. Coincidentally those are all blowing the gently caress up now. If you have a turbo car you should be doing it every 3000, I don't care what SOA says.

I do 3000 mile oil changes in both my 02 legacy and 02 impreza, it's quicker than a motor swap.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

Subaru also said run 7.5k mile oil changes in their 05 legacy GTs. Coincidentally those are all blowing the gently caress up now. If you have a turbo car you should be doing it every 3000, I don't care what SOA says.

I do 3000 mile oil changes in both my 02 legacy and 02 impreza, it's quicker than a motor swap.

3750 is their "severe use" interval. I've been going with that in my STi so far since it dovetails nicely with the rest of the schedule and I'm not super severe/tracking very often.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Slow is Fast posted:

Where I think Subaru went wrong is that up to 2 quarts of oil can be consumed by design over 7500 miles. That makes about zero sense, as most people with new cars won't bother checking their oil.

I believe that the newer Subaru turbo engines now have a higher capacity (5 quarts+).

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Midjack posted:

3750 is their "severe use" interval. I've been going with that in my STi so far since it dovetails nicely with the rest of the schedule and I'm not super severe/tracking very often.

How Subaru defines "severe use"

> Repeated short trips, stop-and-go, extensive idling (basically any urban driving)
> Rough, muddy, dusty, wet, humid, cold, mountainous, salty conditions (basically any country or winter driving)
> Towing a trailer.
> Racing

Which really means, "everyone is severe use"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
In Canada, just owning a turbo Subaru means you are on the severe use schedule.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

daslog posted:

How Subaru defines "severe use"

> Repeated short trips, stop-and-go, extensive idling (basically any urban driving)
> Rough, muddy, dusty, wet, humid, cold, mountainous, salty conditions (basically any country or winter driving)
> Towing a trailer.
> Racing

Which really means, "everyone is severe use"

Pretty much. 16 year old me in rural TN actually would not, but anyone near or in a city of even middling size is. I've run severe maintenance schedules on all my cars since I left high school.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

il serpente cosmico posted:

The dealership was asking a lollertastic $5K over MSRP as a "regional supply surcharge"--I talked them down to MSRP with little to no effort. In fact, it was so easy that I regret not talking them down further.

Ouch. I bought my '11 for $100 over invoice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In Canada, just owning a turbo Subaru means you are on the severe use schedule.

True in the US.

In any event, running dino in a hot small turbo engine is a bad idea

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Just out of curiosity, how does one pass CA emissions with a modified car? Specifically a turboback?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Having downpipes and catbacks that use the factory cat.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
$150 bribe every two years or reverting to reinstalling enough stock parts to pass.

In the case of a full turboback, I've heard of catted setups passing after a warmup, but if the downpipe is catless, I hope you have the stock downpipe!

McSpatula fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 15, 2013

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

I figured a bribe or going back to stock would be the case. Also does anyone know if RallyArmor warranties their mudflaps at all? I had my rear drivers side rip in under a year:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm not quite seeing where the damage is in your picture but maybe I'm dumb. That said google tells me that no Rally Armor does not warranty their product, however you might be able to contact them for help: http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/conditions.php

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Totally TWISTED posted:

I'm not quite seeing where the damage is in your picture but maybe I'm dumb. That said google tells me that no Rally Armor does not warranty their product, however you might be able to contact them for help: http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/conditions.php

It's hard to get a picture of because its the rear tire, but the washer closest to you, all the way at the bottom is getting pulled on because there's a hole.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yakattak posted:

It's hard to get a picture of because its the rear tire, but the washer closest to you, all the way at the bottom is getting pulled on because there's a hole.

Huh now I see it, no idea how to fix that or why it's happening though sorry :(

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Looks like maybe you backed over the flap and that's what pulled it out. At least you didn't rip the whole flap or even the fender off.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any one have recommendations for crossbars and a cargo basket? I'm looking to put one on my crosstrek's existing rails. I liked the looks of thule's basket as it has bars on top for mounting a bike or whatever in addition. For crossbars, Subaru's aero bars are way cheaper than Yakima or Thule, are they that much worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
What year? I just installed my setup. Between used bars and the basket, I spent around $150 CDN.