Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mao posted:

There is a story behind this that I would be fascinated to hear. The deportation part anyway.

Basically this: the people that sent me here didn't pay for an international driver license. The "international driver license" you can get in the states is shady. They only send people here for a month, two tops. Therefore, we cannot really get a license to drive anything, at all, in any legal manner. So if we're caught with something, we're on (literally) the next flight back. It's not governmental deportation by the Japanese, but there's no practical difference.

It's bad enough that if we're suspected of not obeying these rules, they'll call the local PD and have us back-tracked from the apartment for a few hours to see if we dropped a bike/scooter off at the rental place before walking home. It's that serious. A mild traffic ding nearly turned into an international incident because the stupid gaijin didn't understand "gomen-nasai money" and my supervisor ended up having to bail someone out of Japanese jail after the visit from the embassy. So there's way, way, way less than zero tolerance for the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wit_sponge
Dec 29, 2008

FUUUCK

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Basically this: the people that sent me here didn't pay for an international driver license. The "international driver license" you can get in the states is shady. They only send people here for a month, two tops. Therefore, we cannot really get a license to drive anything, at all, in any legal manner. So if we're caught with something, we're on (literally) the next flight back. It's not governmental deportation by the Japanese, but there's no practical difference.

It's bad enough that if we're suspected of not obeying these rules, they'll call the local PD and have us back-tracked from the apartment for a few hours to see if we dropped a bike/scooter off at the rental place before walking home. It's that serious. A mild traffic ding nearly turned into an international incident because the stupid gaijin didn't understand "gomen-nasai money" and my supervisor ended up having to bail someone out of Japanese jail after the visit from the embassy. So there's way, way, way less than zero tolerance for the next few months.

What are you doing in japan?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

No one is posting this so here you go: something that was recently an animal on top of my bike.

This was taken about half an hour before the engine blew up. Notice the oil leaking onto the cooling fins? I didn't at the time :(

:siren:Your bike at a point more than 500 feet above where it lives.:siren:. Find the altitude of your house, dig up a topographical map, and find a place on it at least 500 feet higher. Ride there and take a picture so we can appreciate/mock the beauty/drudgery of your local terrain. This will probably be on a hill or mountain of some kind. Your smartphone's GPS unit will be a big help here. Apologies in advance to anyone who parks their bike in Kansas or on top of Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Here's my bike yesterday at approximately 3500 feet - 3300' above Los Angeles (which can be seen faintly over the right ridgeline), and 2300' above where it usually roams.

I pity the fool that does not live near mountains. I also pity the 6'3" fool who tries to accelerate rapidly up a steep grade with an 883 (she does nicely in the curves though!)

:siren: Your Bike And You Being Hipsters :siren: In the interests of keeping the game rolling, this is kinda open ended. Pose outside of your favorite non-Starbucks coffee shop (bonus points for flannel). Load your pannier with Pabst Blue Ribbon. Cuff your jeans and sit on your bike looking bored outside of a thrift store. The catch is that you must be in the photo!

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 2, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Double bonus points if you grow ironic facial hair just for the photo

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

What the hell are you talking about? The IDP you get issued by AAA for $15 in America is fine for your first year in Japan :confused: Unless you're SOFA and there's some specific dickery with that, but I don't see why it'd be the case that you get even fewer benefits than non-SOFA folks living here.

It's "shady" in that shady companies will advertise them as valid licenses in the US for people who have DUI's or whatever when that's not true (it's simply a translation of your local license and not a stand-alone license in of itself), but most countries have signed on to the IDP treaty and recognize each other's licenses. In Japan's case only for a year (apparently Japanese people going overseas and getting licenses hosed it up for all of the foreigners) before you have to convert to a local license, but still, you and your coworkers should be fine. You can do them by mail while already overseas.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Will one of you hipsters do this challenge? Or a new one even. These challenges are p. lame imo and stall the game. I thought about this thread today and checked it while I was out riding, thinking that even if it was a lame challenge I'd do it to start the game rolling again. I couldn't do this challenge while I was out and I'm not going to dress up, ride to starbucks or w/e, and ask someone to take my picture for this.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 16, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Dammit and I just shaved my mustache.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

nsaP posted:

Will one of you hipsters do this challenge? Or a new one even. These challenges are p. lame imo and stall the game. I thought about this thread today and checked it while I was out riding, thinking that even if it was a lame challenge I'd do it to start the game rolling again. I couldn't do this challenge while I was out and I'm not going to dress up, ride to starbucks or w/e, and ask someone to take my picture for this.

I'll do it tomorrow if nobody has done one by then.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
This is why I'm anal about the challenges being about riding, and going to find things that are easy to locate, not just random-occurrence motorcycle stuff. :colbert:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 17, 2013

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

nsaP posted:

These challenges are p. lame imo and stall the game. I thought about this thread today and checked it while I was out riding, thinking that even if it was a lame challenge I'd do it to start the game rolling again. I couldn't do this challenge while I was out and I'm not going to dress up, ride to starbucks or w/e, and ask someone to take my picture for this.

Sagebrush posted:

This is why I'm anal about the challenges being about riding, and going to find things that are easy to locate, not just random-occurrence motorcycle stuff. :colbert:

Sorry, I thought I left the challenge open-ended enough that someone would either come up with something funny while out riding anyway, or just grab a photo in front of Small Local Coffeeshop. If Silly-Balls approves, how about a new challenge: a photo of your bike at your favorite scenic overlook, with panties in a bunch on the seat? :v:

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

If Silly-Balls approves, how about a new challenge: a photo of your bike at your favorite scenic overlook, with panties in a bunch on the seat? :v:

Challenge accepted:

:siren:NEW CHALLENGE: Get a picture with some of this season's crop of new riders!:siren:

This should be simple enough. Get out and ride, find some newbies, offer them your sage advice, and exploit the photo opportunity for internet fame!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

TO be honest, this one also pretty much works for the hipster challenge. Good show.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

A photo I took on a ride with some new riders 2 days ago doesn't count does it?

Regardless,

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Let's count it and move on because the weather is crap here. I've only seen one other rider out.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Hmm, ok.

:siren: You and your bike with as many other bikes / bikers as you can manage at your local bike stop (Pub/cafe/wherever bikers hang out around where you live). :siren:

If this one isn't done by the end of the weekend;

Alternative:

You and your bike with a plane in the background

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
On spring break finally, maybe we'll get some sun and I can rejoin the game :woop:

It's too bad backfire already happened, they attract 100+ bikes on a good day once a month.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'll be heading up to Alice's Restaurant tomorrow morning. Crossing my fingers that there will be a bunch of bikes!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Please. I whined about there not being any new riders out, but there aren't many old riders either!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

It's not winter for everyone! Plus, it only lasts until Monday, then the alt. can be used.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

It's almost all cars. :( I'll get a photo with what's here after breakfast.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I'm going to a scooter event today, I should be able to get a good picture, if Day Man doesn't beat me to it. I'll have to see if I can upload a picture and post from my phone.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

There's usually a ton more bikes at Alice's Restaurant, but I took photos of what I could.

My bike is the red Honda facing forward:

Here are some other shots of the scattering of bikes:

It was really nice out this morning, so I'm not sure why more people weren't out on the road!

Anyway, as long as this counts, I'll set the next challenge:

:siren:
If you live in a city or town, your bike in front of a farm!
If you live in the country, your bike in front of a tall building!
:siren:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Nice!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Dang. Was about to go for a ride in the country today but now my bike's making unsettling spluttering noises because I'm 3,000 k's overdue for a service.

Mr. Halfabee
Sep 7, 2003
Your feet are too big to kickbox with Jesus
Figured I might as well join in. I forgot to bring a proper camera so all I got is this overexposed cellphone picture.

Next to the shed was another rather ugly farmhouse and farm machinery so I guess this might as well count. Yes, there's ice in the ditch. Way too cold.

Next challenge: since my offroad shortcut ended abruptly and I had to wrestle it back around for a bit :siren: your bike in front of an obstacle you'd really love to get across/around/over but can't :siren:

Alternative: your bike next to a large antenna

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Mr. Halfabee posted:

Figured I might as well join in. I forgot to bring a proper camera so all I got is this overexposed cellphone picture.

Next to the shed was another rather ugly farmhouse and farm machinery so I guess this might as well count. Yes, there's ice in the ditch. Way too cold.

Next challenge: since my offroad shortcut ended abruptly and I had to wrestle it back around for a bit :siren: your bike in front of an obstacle you'd really love to get across/around/over but can't :siren:

Alternative: your bike next to a large antenna

:geert:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Challenge accepted: Cascade mountains. I'll cross them when it gets warmer and the dot stops advising traction tires, but for now it's as legit an obstacle as any for me.

:siren:Next: vapor.:siren:

I don't know, use imagination!

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 25, 2013

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

clutchpuck posted:

Oh great, you're encouraging people all bonged up on reefer madness to get out on their bikes with their volcanic smoking paraphenalia. I hope you're proud of yourself.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Too late, I already covered that one when the challenge was "get high".

It was snowing yesterday night but the roads were fine so I took the bike out. I was hoping to find something steaming in downtown but no such luck, and using my own bike's exhaust seemed cheap.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Today I bandsawed off the set of ancient dry-rotted tires from my spare wheels, and when I popped them off the rim they filled the whole shop with clouds of burning rubber smoke. But That's not really a riding thing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

clutchpuck posted:

I don't know, use imagination!

Someone get a picture of their bike with a box of Duke Nukem Forever on the seat

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I should go take a picture of my bike in front of the Solyndra building.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Air cooled engine + rain. I'd do it, but for once this year it isn't raining.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

:effort:

Bike + Ecigarette censored face = vapor

I didn't ride anywhere, so if anyone comes up with something better by all means take the next challenge.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
At first glance it looked like you had a cape flowing out behind you which made me stop being ADD for two seconds and actually look at my monitor.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

nsaP posted:

Petition started to ban the next person to complete a challenge then ask if they completed the challenge.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I didn't ride anywhere or even get on my bike for that matter, that's a buddy of mine. Either way its a shitpost, but if you insist.

:siren: your bike in action :siren:

Gopro footage stills from a buddys bike, any thing of the sort. Has to be from a third person perspective.

Bonus points if you rig up a backpack boom mount of some kind.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Boom. Your bike with a pasenger. Seriously, any picture of your bike with someone on the back.

Edit: I'm retarded. Third person. Sorry. I'll work on it tomorrow.

Ironhead fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 28, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Almost been 7 days, anyone going to do this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Oh man I just realized I can do this, and it's current - this is from Sunday afternoon.

From this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSEgCcAEOr4 (black bike, tan jacket, candycane stripe helmet, I'm visible a few times).

your challenge: :siren: a train in motion :siren: (have we done that yet?)

• Locked thread