Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

Someone made a "mid-90s" Game of Thrones intro. Since we are in the topic of campy 90s things, I think that whoever made this was pretty spot-on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fPgIIB67bw

Same guy also did one for Breaking Bad. It's uncanny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFjsOZDjnJA

edit - And Walking Dead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C6tE4Mblks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Rack posted:

Same guy also did one for Breaking Bad. It's uncanny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFjsOZDjnJA

edit - And Walking Dead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C6tE4Mblks

Goddamn, they even captured the ghosting and RGB offsetting of a lovely 90's TV. And I absolutely love the song choice for Breaking Bad.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

Who else thought this was a terrifying when they were seven?

This came with our PS, I don't think we ever got past the first screen.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
I am not sure if this is considered campy; however my Uncle and I chuckle about it to this day.

"Simple Blueprints" my rear end. I must have been 6 and my uncle 24 when I received this toy. It took days to assemble.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

PhotoKirk posted:

Since I'm being grognardy about photos, remember APS film? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Photo_System

Kodak's brilliant idea to introduce a new film format died pretty much at birth. I don't remember ever processing any of it while I worked for Ritz.

I had one! It was the first film camera I ever owned. If I remember right, it took three kinds of shots - normal, slightly bigger, and panoramic.

I guess we lived in different areas, because coincidentally I took all my stuff to Ritz.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Sypher posted:

I am not sure if this is considered campy; however my Uncle and I chuckle about it to this day.

"Simple Blueprints" my rear end. I must have been 6 and my uncle 24 when I received this toy. It took days to assemble.

I remember getting that for my 5th birthday. :3: Putting it together was a ton of fun, even though it took me a long rear end time.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe

Boob Dylan posted:

Oh my god, my brother had this thing! He and I would play with it constantly; He always stuck me with the pink and yellow cars, since they were "girl colours".

And little did your brother know that he did, in fact, have the girly version of that play set.

Behold, the MILITARY van playset:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Back in my dad we were happy to have this

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

QPZIL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYpuvVeSqO8

This show scared the eveloving bajeezus out of me as a child.
I bet many parents watched this just to get their kids out of the room or go to bed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I never realised it before as N Snyc were simply part of the background zeitgeist of the 80s, but good lord they were weird and ugly looking.

If you were a kid in Australia, every morning you watched Agro's Cartoon Connection. There's no way it would ever get aired today because the guy who controlled the puppet took every possible opportunity to take the poo poo out of his co-hosts and be as filthy as possible without actually saying anything that could get him thrown off air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFG5vfDp_Q0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPD_RHVFlys&t=33s

For some reason youtube idiots thought it necessary to put music over the start of the videos, but it stops soon enough.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Which one is Justin Timberlake?

And why is Spock a member of the group?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Metal Loaf posted:

And why is Spock a member of the group?

Middle of the back row.

With Gorilla Soup mentioning Australian children's shows, there's one I remember being shown in the UK but I can't remember the name of. It was set in a lighthouse and was quite scary, similar to Are You Afraid of the Dark? I think. Any ideas?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

The middle one in the back row. He still looks pretty much the same. Also, to the left of him is Lance Bass, who people insisted was straight the whole time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EvilHawk posted:

With Gorilla Soup mentioning Australian children's shows, there's one I remember being shown in the UK but I can't remember the name of. It was set in a lighthouse and was quite scary, similar to Are You Afraid of the Dark? I think. Any ideas?

It might be Round the Twist.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

lazer_chicken posted:

ANOTHER SCORCHER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqZZgVxnCk

This commercial was on tv for years and years.

There's also this little nugget right here, along with the Cadbury commercial, both of which are still currently running.

I don't understand. Why are these commercials still playing? :gonk:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Metal Loaf posted:

It might be Round the Twist.

Aha that's the one! Thank you goon sir.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

MNSNTZR posted:

There's also this little nugget right here, along with the Cadbury commercial, both of which are still currently running.

Don't forget the Hershey's Kisses one - they still play that one too.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Zonekeeper posted:

Don't forget the Hershey's Kisses one - they still play that one too.

They've even updated this one for HD and I'm pretty sure the sears one too.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Gorilla Salad posted:

I never realised it before as N Snyc were simply part of the background zeitgeist of the 80s, but good lord they were weird and ugly looking.

If you were a kid in Australia, every morning you watched Agro's Cartoon Connection. There's no way it would ever get aired today because the guy who controlled the puppet took every possible opportunity to take the poo poo out of his co-hosts and be as filthy as possible without actually saying anything that could get him thrown off air.

For some reason youtube idiots thought it necessary to put music over the start of the videos, but it stops soon enough.

That show is goddamned hilarious.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

MNSNTZR posted:

The M&M's Christmas one is pretty timeless, honestly. Does its job without being irritating. Why make a new one if the old one still works?

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
It has to be some sort of conditioning.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Tobaccrow posted:

I bet many parents watched this just to get their kids out of the room or go to bed.

I remember one night my brother and I wanted to stay up and watch Rescue 911 so we hid under our parents bed while they watched it. Unsolved Mysteries came on right after it and it was an episode about this red ghost that attacked a woman. It scared the living poo poo out of me and I had nightmares for a week. :gonk:

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Ah, precious memories of waking up at 6am just to watch this before school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSrtIrVCm64

The Sailor Moon dress up special was the epitome of 90s morning kids shows.

magic pantaloons has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Mar 17, 2013

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

I remember one night my brother and I wanted to stay up and watch Rescue 911 so we hid under our parents bed while they watched it. Unsolved Mysteries came on right after it and it was an episode about this red ghost that attacked a woman. It scared the living poo poo out of me and I had nightmares for a week. :gonk:

I remember telling my kindergarten teacher about the Rescue 911 episodes where a baby moose got stuck in a mudpit and some little girl fell into a nest of fire ants. Why did my parents let me watch that show?

edit: Oh yeah and the one where the kids were trying to open a package or something and one of them went running into the room with a giant knife and ended up stabbing her little brother with it. Oh God, that was terrifying.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Tin Miss posted:

I remember telling my kindergarten teacher about the Rescue 911 episodes where a baby moose got stuck in a mudpit and some little girl fell into a nest of fire ants. Why did my parents let me watch that show?

edit: Oh yeah and the one where the kids were trying to open a package or something and one of them went running into the room with a giant knife and ended up stabbing her little brother with it. Oh God, that was terrifying.

The scariest one by far to me was the episode where the little kid was running around while brushing his teeth and ended up stabbing the toothbrush into his throat. :gonk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-v_FIwbvBU

Man that was a hosed up show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When we got Sky TV, Rescue 911 was one of the main programmes on the reality channel. The one that I can recall most vividly is the one where these kids are playing in the back garden and decide to make a fire with a petrol can, and one of the boys sets himself on fire.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Maybe this has already been mentioned, but:

These bitches. With elbow and knee pads, of course. All those Active Cool Young Adults in NYC parks in movies or whatever had these. My mom bought me a pair in a Moscow train station, and my sister and I tried to go out and learn how to rollerblade probably a whopping three times before they got shoved in a grey plastic bag and were forgotten. Also, I remember these were one of the groupies for XTREME SPORTS, along with skateboards and BMX. There's a girl on my campus that uses these as transport, but when you're in college, basically anything goes (longboards? yep. Razor scooters with motors and seats? gently caress yeah). Like I did when I was 8, I keep getting a feeling that if I just bought a pair right now, I'd be a natural at it and not look lame at all! Inline skating, your star faded too quickly. :(

Also, for the kids that didn't have :siren: CABLE TV :siren:, I loved this show, Beyond Belief, with Johnathan Frakes. It sort of resembled the Twilight Zone in the sense that it was an anthology, but it was basically spooky stories (usually involving ghosts, etc) with America's Most Wanted-style reenactments. After all of the little stories were shown, there was a answers-to-the-quiz type segment where he'd say whether or not that story was based on a true story.

My dad would let me watch it, for some reason, even though it scared the poo poo out of me and on some creepy nights when I'm alone I STILL worry that in the dark I'll pass a mirror and see my reflection BUT DEAD AND THE KILLER IS RIGHT BEHIND ME. After seeing that episode I couldn't pee at night for weeks. All secondhand mirrors are haunted, mark my words.

Speaking of TV shows my dad watched, Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman (pioneer lady saves people!), Early Edition (guy gets tomorrow's newspaper, saves people!) and Walker, Texas Ranger (you know this one).

My sister and I would stick to Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules. Kevin Sorbo :allears:

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow

Jr. posted:

Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman

Ingrid! :cry:

It was that and Road to Avonlea if you were Canadian. I remember being very concerned when Joe Pitts took Sarah's place and it was a two-parter! And then there was Gus' crazy mom who kept building inuk-shuks out of things. That was intense.

But nothing beats death by rabies.

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

*sigh*

I worked at Ritz Camera in the '90's. I can't tell you how many poor saps thought they had a Nikon SLR when they walked into the store with one of those hunks of crap. Despite saying "Nippon" instead of "Nikon", despite the big peek-a-boo viewfinder instead of a pentaprism, they thought they had some top of the line gear.

Remember Fuji Velvia film and Minolta Maxxum cameras? We would get at least one person a week looking for Velveeta film for their Mylanta camera.

Since I'm being grognardy about photos, remember APS film? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Photo_System

Kodak's brilliant idea to introduce a new film format died pretty much at birth. I don't remember ever processing any of it while I worked for Ritz.

I have often thought that the 90s (and the 80s) where the worst thing to happen to cameras. I still get people to this day contacting me wanting to sell me their Canon S-2000. When I explain to them (in a much nicer way) what they have is a lovely knock off they get mad at me. I've even see some "Panasonic" video cameras that were just radios.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Metal Loaf posted:

When we got Sky TV, Rescue 911 was one of the main programmes on the reality channel. The one that I can recall most vividly is the one where these kids are playing in the back garden and decide to make a fire with a petrol can, and one of the boys sets himself on fire.

A guy from the rural mountain town I grew up in was on Rescue 911 after he got stung by a swarm of bees and had to drive himself down a steep winding road to get help. His face was all swollen and he could barely see and he had to take... THE S CURVES. :ohdear:

My brothers and I thought was hilarious cause it was the same road we would bomb down on our badass bikes. The guy was interviewed and took part in the re-enactment but he didn't get to meet Shatner. Tough break, man.

Katana of Wisdom
May 11, 2003

Jr. posted:

Also, for the kids that didn't have :siren: CABLE TV :siren:, I loved this show, Beyond Belief, with Johnathan Frakes. It sort of resembled the Twilight Zone in the sense that it was an anthology, but it was basically spooky stories (usually involving ghosts, etc) with America's Most Wanted-style reenactments. After all of the little stories were shown, there was a answers-to-the-quiz type segment where he'd say whether or not that story was based on a true story.

My dad would let me watch it, for some reason, even though it scared the poo poo out of me and on some creepy nights when I'm alone I STILL worry that in the dark I'll pass a mirror and see my reflection BUT DEAD AND THE KILLER IS RIGHT BEHIND ME. After seeing that episode I couldn't pee at night for weeks. All secondhand mirrors are haunted, mark my words.

I loving loved this show in high school. My friends and I used to watch it in a big group, and we had a running theme where we tried to convince each other that every single segment was real. I remember one where a kid got knocked out of a 3rd story window and fell into an open top truck full of pillows. When Commander Riker told us it was "FACT" we burst out in cheers.

I also watched Rescue 911 as a child. While other kids were watching Eureeka's Castle, learning about sharing or some poo poo, I was learning that death lurks around every corner.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Shows like Rescue 911 and Unsolved Mysteries scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. I remember being young enough watching those that I didn't realize they were re-enactments. I remember thinking "Why isn't the camera guy doing anything?" And the absolute scariest part of Unsolved Mysteries would be after the segment, when they'd say the guy was still at large with Robert Stack doing the "If you have any information about the whereabouts..." while that loving music played.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I just wanna say thanks for the Rescue 911 conversation. I have had the theme song to that show stuck in my head for literally years without having a single clue where the hell it was from. I am so relieved to finally know.

I too watched that show, and it apparently really dug itself into my mind for me to have remembered the song for so long. The worst episode to me was the one where that guy was spray painting a house, went home and just up and died died from the fumes. It and the episode where the woman had her car go nuts and get stuck at 100 MPH for an hour or something were some serious poo poo.

Unsolved Mysteries is responsible for me believing in, and being loving terrified of, ghosts and aliens, until I was much, much older. gently caress that show.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011
I was convinced that I could tell what kind of stories were going to be on Rescue 911 that night by watching the credits: if the last scene before the show started had a fire truck in it, there was going to be a story about a house fire and I would refuse to watch it.

Rescue 911 was one of my favorite "grown up" shows when I was a kid, along with Star Trek TNG. I told my mom she was confused and wrong when she told me that the guy from Rescue 911 was on Star Trek.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The one that disturbed me most was a documentary series Great Crimes and Trials, which for some reason was broadcast on the History Channel before it became the Hitler/Nazi Occultism/Conspiracy Theory/Bible Code/Ice Road Truckers channel. I'm not sure why I started watching it, but the episode on Richard Ramirez (which I must have seen when I was about seven) ended up putting me off it for good.

Green Jacket
Oct 23, 2008

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor!
Okay, various collectable cards and the X-Men animated series have been mentioned, but did anyone else's elementary school go through a phase in the early 90s where collecting X-Men cards were a thing? I want to say it was around the time of the cartoon, but the artwork was based on the comics and the cards were really glossy and nice looking. Each one was about a different character.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Green Jacket posted:

Okay, various collectable cards and the X-Men animated series have been mentioned, but did anyone else's elementary school go through a phase in the early 90s where collecting X-Men cards were a thing? I want to say it was around the time of the cartoon, but the artwork was based on the comics and the cards were really glossy and nice looking. Each one was about a different character.

Not those, but the Star Wars card game was a thing for a few years in the mid-90s where I lived. I don't think most of the kids even knew how to play the game, we all just bought the cards like mad.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
X-Men bubble gum WITH STICKERS! My dresser was covered.

Tevruden
Aug 12, 2004

Green Jacket posted:

The one I remember is the Fleer '94 X-Men card set.

I still have mine at my parent's house somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raven4267
May 7, 2009

Green Jacket posted:

I remember buying X-Men cards when I was young, they were great. Of course, my young self was obsessed with collecting any trading cards. Some of the cards I would buy were TMNT, G.I. Joe, Batman, STTNG, as well as baseball and football cards. The last two were weird for me, since I really didn't like watching either baseball or football, I just liked collecting the cards. Around that age I worked a paper route, and I spent all the money I made from it on trading cards and SNES games.

My favorites were the G.I. Joe and TMNT cards.

raven4267 has a new favorite as of 21:21 on Mar 17, 2013

• Locked thread