Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Don't pass it around, but Aranea is like the second or third best character in Homestuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Cabbit posted:

Don't pass it around, but Aranea is like the second or third best character in Homestuck.

What do you mean "or third"?

Second or bust.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wait wait wait.

Are leprechauns gay?

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

I'm confused as to how Snowman fits in here. She's a dersite, not a leprechaun. Was there a leprechaun she replaced, or does the Black Queen become the eighth planet's reward since the whole derse/prospit war is totally irrelevant is this session?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Feranon posted:

I'm confused as to how Snowman fits in here. She's a dersite, not a leprechaun. Was there a leprechaun she replaced, or does the Black Queen become the eighth planet's reward since the whole derse/prospit war is totally irrelevant is this session?

And as a leprauchaun, what were her feelings towards Spades Slick? He was kismetic towards her, but which of the 9 charms did she feel towards him?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Feranon posted:

The answer is: we don't know. Aranea sort of skipped around and didn't specifically say whether or not a Felt member was assigned for that planet. It seems like Caliborn got something from the 8th planet because Aranea didn't say that there was a skip in minion gathering at the end. What he got is unknown. My money is personally on the original instance of Doc Scratch, but it's up in the air.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

quote:

ARANEA: No charm is specifically tied to procre8tion, though any type of relationship could 8egin waxing concupiscent if lady luck should so decide. Certain charm com8in8tions are known to 8e more conducive to fertility than others. If the leprechaun pair has 8een so 8lessed, they will 8egin an ela8orate coupling procedure culmin8ting in a lively m8ting jig. The jigs are specific to the charms of course, similar to how different kinds of music lend themselves to various styles of dance.

So that means when Clover was doing that little jig to Spades Slick... :stonk:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
According to the calculations of a friend of mine, there are over 9 million possible shipping pairs now.

Thank you, Hussie.

Thank you.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
You know, maybe, just maybe, in that same way that the average homestuck fan can go on huge tangents about troll romance despite it being an intentionally confusing, illogical and poorly defined system...

it's possible that Aranea basically just made up all/most of the cherub system. We already had a bunch of tumblr parodies, now we get the one who takes things way to serious and extrapolates a bunch of theories out of nothing, like that bladekindeyewear or whatever the gently caress.

Note that this also is us too.

Or maybe not!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mazerunner posted:

Or maybe not!

Speak for yourself, I'm constructing my Shipping Tesseract as we speak.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Wait, I just remembered there's no blue diamond shape in Lucky Charms cereal. It's the moon that's blue.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Fucknag posted:

Speak for yourself, I'm constructing my Shipping Tesseract as we speak.

Shipping hypercube. :getin:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait wait wait.

Are leprechauns gay?

Of course, haven't you seen the rainbow?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Rainbow = "I'm so hard gay for you."

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Never in the history of Homestuck has that "Let Me Tell You About Homestuck" gif been more applicable.

Also Vriska is totally redeemed herself here. Tumblr is going to be bad enough the next three days with this update, I don't even want to know how bad the fans will be about all this.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Now I'm really hungry for some Lucky Charms.

If the marshmallows are romance, does that mean those crappy little cereal bits are friendship?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

OK, fine. Aranea is moving up the Best Troll ladder a ways.

The marshmallow bits as symbols was a nice touch.

Olivia42 posted:

Now I'm really hungry for some Lucky Charms.

If the marshmallows are romance, does that mean those crappy little cereal bits are friendship?

The horrible little cereal bits represent anti-romance, for they are the essence of apathy and sogginess.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

You guys are neglecting the biggest thing here:

General Mills, the company that produces Lucky Charms, also markets the Betty Crocker brand :tinfoil:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Desfore posted:

Wait, I just remembered there's no blue diamond shape in Lucky Charms cereal. It's the moon that's blue.

Holy poo poo you just made me feel old.

For reference, those are the old Lucky Charm marshmallows. Although the rainbows and pots of gold are also pretty new, comparatively.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

nerdbot posted:

You guys are neglecting the biggest thing here:

General Mills, the company that produces Lucky Charms, also markets the Betty Crocker brand :tinfoil:

gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

They're all in on it, man. All of them.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

RedMagus posted:

Never in the history of Homestuck has that "Let Me Tell You About Homestuck" gif been more applicable.

Also Vriska is totally redeemed herself here. Tumblr is going to be bad enough the next three days with this update, I don't even want to know how bad the fans will be about all this.
That would imply the majority of the fandom actually cares enough about The Felt to care about their romance system.

If you're trying to think on how much they care, let me give you a scary fact: there are still people who think Spades Slick is the same character as Bec Noir. And I'm positive there are a number of people who entirely skipped Intermission.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ω can be replicated without any special symbols. Now how do we do the rest?

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Holy poo poo you just made me feel old.

For reference, those are the old Lucky Charm marshmallows. Although the rainbows and pots of gold are also pretty new, comparatively.

Yes, I remember when the rainbow marbits were a commercial-driven "special event". We are old.

edit: amusing comment from tumblr:

quote:

IM CRYING SO loving HARD

EVERYTIME IM IN MY DIE COSPLAY PEOPLE WOULD ASK “ARE YOU A LEPRECHAUN?”

AND ID BE LIKE “NO WHAT THE gently caress”

BUT I WAS

I WAS A LEPRECHAUN ALL ALONG gently caress MY LIFE.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 17, 2013

Ketzal
Feb 19, 2011

President of Hell
Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

That would imply the majority of the fandom actually cares enough about The Felt to care about their romance system.

If you're trying to think on how much they care, let me give you a scary fact: there are still people who think Spades Slick is the same character as Bec Noir. And I'm positive there are a number of people who entirely skipped Intermission.

During the intermission era, there were several people on the MSPA forms who were obsessed with Die and would draw dramatic comics about him making out with the other Felt. Never underestimate the fans.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Following a number of Felt artists on Tumblr. As a fan of the Intermission myself, I have to admit seeing these meltdowns is hilarious

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Every Homestuck update these days just feels like this thread should be merged with the griefing thread. The tears of fans having their brains twisted is hilarious, as are the meltdowns.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bobulus posted:

Ω can be replicated without any special symbols. Now how do we do the rest?

Thanks to the Emoji blocks in Unicode, you can now safely say "there's a Unicode codepoint for that":

♥🌙★🍀♦Ω🌈🎈💰

(Caveat: Practically no fonts support the Emoji characters, and the closest you can get to a pot of gold is a MONEY BAG :geno:)

Teavian
Oct 9, 2012

So, according to Wikipedia, the lucky charms have specific powers associated with them:

Wikipedia posted:

Hearts - power to bring things to life
Shooting Stars - power to fly
Horseshoes - power to speed things up
Clovers - luck, but you will never know what kind of luck you'll get
Blue Moons - power of invisibility
Rainbows - instantaneous travel from place to place
Balloons - power to make things float
Hourglass - power to control time

I don't know if it will be important, but there it is.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I think it would be kind of neat if, since Caliborn's original planet was the Land of ____ and ____, that the glitch-text we're now seeing is actually there and he's got some sort of crazy MissingNo. planet.

While Yladaboath is neat, it would have been great if Caliborn's Denizen had actually been a hilarious glitch monster that would be useless other than giving him 128 copies of his sixth modus item.

lotus circle posted:

There always have been and always will be a huge segment of ignorant fans, but as has been mentioned a few times, in the past the Felt were popular to a very bizarre and hilarious degree, and there was an absurd amount of fanwork(even romantic fanwork) for them coming out a while even after the Trolls hit it big.

Sure, in a fanwork as big as Homestuck it's natural to see even side bit players have a large amount of fans, but around the time I got into the comic in act five those green torsos seemed like they were everywhere. :psyduck:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

lotus circle posted:

I have to admit that I wasn't clear on the matter when I finished. I read Homestuck between the middle of December of 2012 and the beginning of February of 2013, and I finished most of things up to Act 5 within two weeks or so. So lots of it was a blur for me.

When I got to the Intermission, I was still operating under the assumption that Homestuck was mostly weird shenanigans for its own sake, and it was thrown in just to confuse us with how weird it all was. So I wasn't paying much attention.

I do remember Karkat explaining the connection between Spades Slick and Jack Noir, but mostly because he talked about Crash Bandicoot.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Midnight Raider posted:

There always have been and always will be a huge segment of ignorant fans, but as has been mentioned a few times, in the past the Felt were popular to a very bizarre and hilarious degree, and there was an absurd amount of fanwork(even romantic fanwork) for them coming out a while even after the Trolls hit it big.

Sure, in a fanwork as big as Homestuck it's natural to see even side bit players have a large amount of fans, but around the time I got into the comic in act five those green torsos seemed like they were everywhere. :psyduck:
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, there is definitely a diehard sect of the fandom that loves Intermission and The Felt especially. But they are more of a vocal minority than anything else at this point.

Also here's a bit of fun irony. The leprechaun romance system was made as a pretty obvious jab at how serious the fandom takes shipping. Yet there are dozens of fans who are giving their interpretation of the romance system, missing the point that the system is specifically there to make fun of how serious they're taking this.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I think you're conflating missing the point with not giving a gently caress.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone :allears:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ugh Cherubim is loving great. This might be my favorite non-volume album thus far.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Thanks to the Emoji blocks in Unicode, you can now safely say "there's a Unicode codepoint for that":

♥🌙★🍀♦Ω🌈🎈💰

(Caveat: Practically no fonts support the Emoji characters, and the closest you can get to a pot of gold is a MONEY BAG :geno:)

Well, this month has three Fridays, three Saturdays, and three Sundays, and this is called money bags. It only happens once every 823 years! :pseudo:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

TinTower posted:

Well, this month has three Fridays, three Saturdays, and three Sundays, and this is called money bags. It only happens once every 823 years! :pseudo:

I think that's kinda wrong in two different ways. (It's five, not three)

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
What a stupid loving comic.

and i love it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Whoever actually read that entire last page needs to be put somewhere far away for the good of society.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Oxxidation posted:

Whoever actually read that entire last page needs to be put somewhere far away for the good of society.

I did but I begged for mercy the entire way, does that co-hold on a second, there's a knock on my door.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Call Now posted:

Of course, haven't you seen the rainbow?

Well, I mean:

quote:

8ut first it 8ears pointing out that while for humans reproductive relationships are exclusively heterosexual, and for trolls they are 8isexual, for leprechauns they-

There's just the one other option, isn't there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

I feel like Vriska just dived on a grenade for us.