Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I just finished watching Rosemary's Baby and I loved how scary it was yet there was no blood at all in the movie and no stupid jump scares. What are some other prominent examples of horror movies that rely more on atmosphere than gore?

Edit: I thought I was in the recommendations thread, but whatever.

The Omen. It does have a little violence, but not (much) blood and no jump scares. Rosemary's Baby did have a bit of gore though (the "suicide" victim at the beginning)

You could also check out Polanski's other apartment based horror movies: The Tenant and Repulsion. They're not as good as Rosemary's Baby though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I just finished watching Rosemary's Baby and I loved how scary it was yet there was no blood at all in the movie and no stupid jump scares. What are some other prominent examples of horror movies that rely more on atmosphere than gore?

Edit: I thought I was in the recommendations thread, but whatever.

Audition seems gory in retrospect, but there's only like 2 or 3 drops of blood in the entire film. Best watched not knowing anything going in.
The Tenant
Eraserhead

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Schweinhund posted:

The Omen. It does have a little violence, but not (much) blood and no jump scares. Rosemary's Baby did have a bit of gore though (the "suicide" victim at the beginning)

You could also check out Polanski's other apartment based horror movies: The Tenant and Repulsion. They're not as good as Rosemary's Baby though.
I'll check out The Omen. I've seen Repulsion, it was decent, didn't really grab me as much as Rosemary. The Tenant has been on my list to watch for a while as well.

(To the guy above me) I've seen Eraserhead, is Audition the Takashi Miike film? I think I already know the plot twist, hopefully that doesn't ruin it totally.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Vanishing has, if I recall correctly, absolutely no violence but is still intensely frightening.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Shining obv. has some gore but not much. I like the Ninth Gate too, another Polanski one, for the ideas in it to think about (would you do the same as Corso? etc.).

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Vanishing has, if I recall correctly, absolutely no violence but is still intensely frightening.
One of my favorite films of all time. I own the Criterion DVD. I guess I've seen a fair amount of violence/gore-less horror movies before, but it took Rosemary's Baby to realize how much this trope appeals to me.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

regulargonzalez posted:

Gotta disagree. My late wife and I constantly had conversations just like the ones in Before Sunrise / Before Sunset. Maybe it's not how you or your peers talk, but it absolutely is representative of a certain socioeconomic class.
I understand what you're trying to say, but I disagree. I don't have any trouble believing that the subject matter is similar to conversations you might have had, but unless you scripted and rehearsed these conversations the enunciation is almost certainly different, and even if you scripted and rehearsed them the diction and grammar are probably different.

That is, I doubt anyone has many conversations that go off without stumbles, stutters, muttering, and so on as is typical in narrative film. In addition to this sort of thing, delivery of natural speech encodes all sorts of social cues that are generally absent from dramatic performance. For example, if you speak in dialect, what and how you use that dialect in `real' speech is context dependent. A New Yorker who habitually drops their Rs, for example, is more likely to drop an R in a low-end department store than in a more upscale one. They're also more likely to drop Rs when talking about their neighbourhood and things associated with it than they are in discussing other subjects.

Beyond that, the word choice used in film is generally not at all representative of the word choice in everyday speech---this is a subject that's been explored in machine learning of natural languages, for example.

I'm just throwing this all out there not to argue it as a formal thesis, but to outline the reasons for my skepticism.

Further, I think it's worth noting that what constitutes `naturalistic' acting isn't by any means a fixed concept. Back in the 19-teens one of the things that was considered noteworthy about D.W. Griffith's films was how natural the acting was. Similarly Howard Hawks was known for a particular sort of naturalistic dialogue in his films. John Cassavettes, one of the fathers of independent film, was another director noted for the naturalistic performances in his films. And now you've brought up Linklater's films. But all of these approaches to `naturalistic' performance are wildly different from each other---nobody would confuse a performance from one of these directors' films with any of the others. What this tells us is that `naturalistic' isn't calibrated against some fixed standard (`real' behaviour or speech) but instead is just a set of conventions of the medium that we are more or less accustomed to.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Alternatively, then, mumblecore might fit.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFX06IJqSpo

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

A while ago some posters said they had trouble caring about series and movies where the characters are all well off people with basically 'well off people' problems, and I thought that was silly.

Thanks Tiny Furniture for providing me with a new perspective!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Tiny Furniture is infuriatingly bland.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Blair Witch fits the scary/little violence rec.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

foodfight posted:

Blair Witch fits the scary/little violence rec.

There was a whole thread for this kinda stuff a while back.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
This probably a odd question but it's bugging the hell out of me.
Whats the reason for the McDonald happy meal boxes in Fincher's version of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?
They seem to pop up a few times (at least twice) being eaten by Lisbeth.
Is it something from the books or just some really odd product placement?

Just seems odd to see a shot of those happy meal boxes that only pop up in adverts in a film that's mainly about sexual abuse.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I haven't read the books but I imagine Lisabeth just likes happy meals as part of her odd characterization and what not. Considering the history if her character (based on the original films which I have seen) its not absurd that she would find comfort in a meal for children.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Seconded big time, although I understand the remake with Kiefer Sutherland wildly changes the ending and isn't nearly as good.

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but I think Bunny Lake is Missing fits here too for some reason. Possibly because I have the concept of vanishing on my mind.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Power of Pecota posted:

I feel like "the bible" is a cop out answer, that's casting a really wide net - I'd say Zorro or Tarzan probably.

The Dangerous Liaisons has to be up there, doesn't it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mastershakeman posted:

I was actually thinking about starting a thread based on the different adaptations, but I'd need to do some re-watching, because it's been probably five years since I'v seen any of them.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Brewster's Millions has had quite a few adaptations as well.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

This probably a odd question but it's bugging the hell out of me.
Whats the reason for the McDonald happy meal boxes in Fincher's version of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?
They seem to pop up a few times (at least twice) being eaten by Lisbeth.
Is it something from the books or just some really odd product placement?

In the books, it's mentioned many times that she eats very, very badly. I don't remember if any specific fast food name is used but she's eating junk all the time.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Are there any non-genre found footage movies out there? Some of my favorite moments from the FF stuff I've seen are smaller, intimate scenes, so it'd be interesting to see how someone uses the format for a straight drama.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
David Holzman's Diary, I want to say La Commune is found footage (but it's something better instead), I'm sure there's other stuff. Huck Botko's incredibly nasty prank movies and his two features "The Virginity Hit" and "Mail Order Wife" don't have supernatural poo poo in them (but are horror movies).

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

morestuff posted:

Are there any non-genre found footage movies out there? Some of my favorite moments from the FF stuff I've seen are smaller, intimate scenes, so it'd be interesting to see how someone uses the format for a straight drama.

Wasn't Project X FF?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

There's a Indian one called Love Sex aur Dhokha which isn't awful. It's not great and had what could been a really disturbing moment defanged because Indian culture wouldn't allot it but it's still pretty interesting.

Redacted is also technically not a genre film, but don't watch it because it is irredeemably awful.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

David Holzman's Diary, I want to say La Commune is found footage (but it's something better instead), I'm sure there's other stuff. Huck Botko's incredibly nasty prank movies and his two features "The Virginity Hit" and "Mail Order Wife" don't have supernatural poo poo in them (but are horror movies).

La Commune's supposed to look like a mock Cinema Verite film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cloudchamber posted:

La Commune's supposed to look like a mock Cinema Verite film.

So are many found footage movies.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
This Is Spinal Tap is shot in a similar style and nobody claims it's found footage.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's an additional layer of fuckery that La Commune has that Spinal Tap doesn't, but then that would just make it beyond cinema verite, too. I think it's debatable!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

cloudchamber posted:

This Is Spinal Tap is shot in a similar style and nobody claims it's found footage.

It's generally classified as a "mockumentary" but genre distinctions are arbitrary and fluid

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

84 Charlie MoPic is a found footage war movie.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

penismightier posted:

I was reading about that not an hour ago.

Any good?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

penismightier posted:

And it's all on YouTube.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I was reading about that not an hour ago.

Any good?

Mixed bag, but worth watching. It's interesting because scene-for-scene it's a pretty lousy Platoon knockoff, but the found footage gimmick actually does manage to breathe life into it. The scenes under fire are particularly harrowing with the in-camera perspective.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

FishBulb posted:

It's generally classified as a "mockumentary" but genre distinctions are arbitrary and fluid

A rockumentary, if you will.

There's an additional layer of fuckery that La Commune has that Spinal Tap doesn't, but then that would just make it beyond cinema verite, too. I think it's debatable!

Peter Watkins was hugely influenced by Cinema Verite; one of his earlier films, Privilege directly borrows shots from a National Film Board of Canada documentary.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

Peter Watkins was hugely influenced by Cinema Verite; one of his earlier films, Privilege directly borrows shots from a National Film Board of Canada documentary.

The only movie I've seen by him is Edvard Munch, which is one of the most interesting mockumentaries/docudramas/biopics I've ever seen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I know that. The War Game and Culloden are influenced by cinema verite but are in actuality the genesis of something resembling found footage. The War Game is distinct from The Battle of Algiers, a cinema verite film that restages historical events in a naturalistic way. The War Game is a depiction of a hypothetical future event, in the present, as though it were recorded by an actual camera crew with the footage later rearranged by a documentarian. Culloden is a staging of an event from the 18th century as though modern camera crews were present ala Vietnam. La Commune is the same sort of thing (only spoiling this because I love it so much and it should catch you by surprise like it caught me by surprise) that occasionally takes an aside, completely smoothly, into the actors portraying the characters discussing the events of the film before smoothly gliding back into the film itself. They're not documentaries, much less mockumentaries (although The War Game sort of is). They're meant to portray something that is occurring at the time of the filming, however obviously edited.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

If Special Bulletin is found footage, so too are Culloden and La Commune.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The only movie I've seen by him is Edvard Munch, which is one of the most interesting mockumentaries/docudramas/biopics I've ever seen.

Yeah, all his films are like that and he just got better and better at pulling it off every time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Not all of them, Privilege isn't really like that, nor is The Gladiators, both of those are far more conventional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Not all of them, Privilege isn't really like that, nor is The Gladiators, both of those are far more conventional.

Though it should be said they're far more conventional mockumentaries - he never deviated from that narrative form.

There's a great book waiting to be written comparing Peter Watkins and Frederick Wiseman.

e - also, The Gladiators owns.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 18, 2013