Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finally got the ability to buy levels in DW8, I instantly spent 4/5 of my maxed out money to bring pretty much everyone to at least level 30. Maybe now money will start meaning something again.

Also fuuuuck these trophies. Do more than 50 Shosei battles back to back? Finish all six billion scenarios on the highest difficulty level?

Hahaha, oh those little devils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Source on that manga?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's from Mitsuyoshi Sonoda's Record of the Three Kingdoms manga, as far as I know the most famous one. That line and picture are a long running meme on the Japanese internet. The whole exchange is something like:

Cao Cao: I'm going to build my palace so it reaches all the way to the sky!
Sima Yi: A big palace is fine but you're getting up there in age, be careful you don't end up going all the way up to heaven.
Cao Cao: Hahaha, oh you little devil!
Sima Yi: Hahaha

Edit: wait no, there's another Three Kingdoms manga by Mitsuteru Yokoyama that's equally famous I think, it has this from it:

Sima Yi: Wait! Hold it! This is Kong Ming's Trap!

It kinda fills the position that Admiral Akbar does on the English internet.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 15, 2013

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Question about DW8. Is there any bullshit system where you're limited in how many attacks you can perform fresh out of the gate? Like, how in DW7, you have to spend skill points to unlock the fifth and sixth normal and charge attacks? I hate crap like that.

VVVVVVVV EDIT: Good to hear; sounds manageable enough.

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 15, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

GANDHITRON posted:

Question about DW8. Is there any bullshit system where you're limited in how many attacks you can perform fresh out of the gate? Like, how in DW7, you have to spend skill points to unlock the fifth and sixth normal and charge attacks? I hate crap like that.

It's tied to character level this time, but the requirements are pretty low. Seemed like from the third stage of any kingdom's story mode on everyone available would be at a level that let them use all of their charge attacks. You finish unlocking things for a character at level 26 with their last musou and proficiency star.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

tooooooo bad posted:

It's tied to character level this time, but the requirements are pretty low. Seemed like from the third stage of any kingdom's story mode on everyone available would be at a level that let them use all of their charge attacks. You finish unlocking things for a character at level 26 with their last musou and proficiency star.

Not surprising to hear about. It's a core mechanic of the proper iterations of the DW games to have a levelling system in which you earn, either by pure levelling or by paying in skill points / paying in money for better weapons, to get your extra attacks. I was actually surprised when in DW7:E I noticed right from the start, you get complete access to all attacks.

My favorite thing about DW7:E at this point, was discovering all the custom, 4th-wall breaking generals are out there to recruit. I delighted at seeing nods to A Game of Thrones, but I had to pause the game for a good five minutes when Your Mom requested to join my kingdom.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

Oh yeah also, in DW8, when you start using a character that you haven't used before in a story mission other than the first, it automatically and permanently adjusts their level upwards so its appropriate for that stage. So like, you've ignored Liu Bei through almost all of the Shu storyline, and then use him for the last stage, he'll suddenly jump from level 1 to level 30.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh yeah also, in DW8, when you start using a character that you haven't used before in a story mission other than the first, it automatically and permanently adjusts their level upwards so its appropriate for that stage. So like, you've ignored Liu Bei through almost all of the Shu storyline, and then use him for the last stage, he'll suddenly jump from level 1 to level 30.

Though Liu Bei's weapon situation may be pretty dire since you won't find a character's EX weapon in shops until you've played as them once. :argh:

e: I used Xiahou Dun in the first stage of Wei and then once more in the last stage, expecting that I'd be able to buy some nice three dot weapons for him before the stage began. Only to discover that there's no merchant before Wei's last stage. :(

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 15, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

Though Liu Bei's weapon situation may be pretty dire since you won't find a character's EX weapon in shops until you've played as them once. :argh:
Yeah, that's true, it's just a question of luck, whether you have picked up that weapon from a random drop while playing as someone else at a high level.

edit: or you can get the weapon shop in Shosei mode up to a high enough level and just buy them there.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 15, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

tooooooo bad posted:

In further "DW8 IS OBVIOUSLY HAPPENING" news,

Justin Giddings was Ma Dai in DW7. Additionally Erin Fitzgerald, Cai Wenji's English VA, was in some stream chat for Skullgirls and

Just announce it Koei.

That's weird. By "just bought" I mean like "yesterday", and I didn't have any trouble downloading and installing it. Is it not in your library on the left side of the page?

Yaay, English VAs are back :toot:

Oh, and I got the downloader working. Don't know why it didn't work before.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

The 2010 Three Kingdoms TV show is the best thing ever.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I always liked the Red Cliff flims by John Woo. The first one is full of politicking and the second is the actual battle of Chi Bi in all its glory. It focuses more on Wu than anything else and we get a pretty great portrayal of Sun Quan dealing with living in the shadows of greatness of his father and older brother.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jimbot posted:

I always liked the Red Cliff flims by John Woo. The first one is full of politicking and the second is the actual battle of Chi Bi in all its glory. It focuses more on Wu than anything else and we get a pretty great portrayal of Sun Quan dealing with living in the shadows of greatness of his father and older brother.

I liked Red Cliff a lot. Of particular note, the part where Xiaoqiao goes to Cao Cao's camp to get him drunk off his rear end on the night of the fire attack made her DW7XL stage a bit more tolerable, since it reminded me that stories of her somehow being involved in the battle is apparently A Thing and not just some stupid amine crap.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Patter Song posted:

The 2010 Three Kingdoms TV show is the best thing ever.

I mentioned this before. I've been watching it all week at work since all of the episodes seem to be on YouTube for free. I was hooked after the first couple episodes and am at the part where Lu Bu is about to kill Dong Zhao over Diao Chan.

Cao Cao is my favorite character so far, though.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Charles Martel posted:

I mentioned this before. I've been watching it all week at work since all of the episodes seem to be on YouTube for free. I was hooked after the first couple episodes and am at the part where Lu Bu is about to kill Dong Zhao over Diao Chan.

Cao Cao is my favorite character so far, though.

Wait until you see how he deals with Yuan Shao. One of the high points of that series.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Jimbot posted:

The 2010 series has it being more the shadow of Zhou Yu, which does however affect his view of Grand Commanders in general.

SirPhoebos posted:

I liked Red Cliff a lot. Of particular note, the part where Xiaoqiao goes to Cao Cao's camp to get him drunk off his rear end on the night of the fire attack made her DW7XL stage a bit more tolerable, since it reminded me that stories of her somehow being involved in the battle is apparently A Thing and not just some stupid amine crap.
She also plays a role here, albeit it's more peripheral.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Been playing ROTKXI and I got to say the tutorials are pretty well thought out, especially with giving Liu Bei the ":downs:'I'm a Master Strategist!':downs:" schtick.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Been playing ROTKXI and I got to say the tutorials are pretty well thought out, especially with giving Liu Bei the ":downs:'I'm a Master Strategist!':downs:" schtick.
Start here for the laughs... or the ear horror (based on what you think of the LPer's voice).

Chortles fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 18, 2013

Hooks
Aug 26, 2007

He'll save children, but not the British children
Fun Shoe

GANDHITRON posted:

Wait until you see how he deals with Yuan Shao. One of the high points of that series.

The Cao Cao and Yuan Shao moment is my favorite, and also the time when Zhuge Liang gives a guy such an :iceburn: that he keels over dead on the spot. :lol:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Chortles posted:

Start here for the lulz.

I want to punch that LPer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hooks posted:

The Cao Cao and Yuan Shao moment is my favorite, and also the time when Zhuge Liang gives a guy such an :iceburn: that he keels over dead on the spot. :lol:
Is he saying "hee hee hee heee! WOOOO!!" as he runs away? Please tell me he is, even if it isn't true.

When you say it's free on Youtube do you mean officially, or someone just ripped it all and stuck it up there and no one cares because it's China?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The latter, plus apparently this version has better subtitles than the official translation anyway.

Also, have some Mayor Zhang Fei, and part 2, set when Guan Yu leaves Cao Cao.

Bonus trivia: Keep an eye on that one guy who tells Zhang Fei of Guan Yu's fate 48 seconds into part 2... he seems to have an absurd lot of identical twins or Chinese magical clones :haw:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Hooks posted:

Thanks for that .gif! Here's Zhuge Liang vs Wang Lang in the 1993 series, which I'm fond of for its pure hamminess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk-W06fiwlo&t=80s

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It just occurred to me, I don't think I've ever played a stage in a musou game at below normal difficulty. What's it even like? On normal they hardly ever attack you and even when they do they can never hit you when you're moving, I basically never finished stages at anything other than full hit points. On the lower difficulty levels are the enemies somehow even less dangerous?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Hooks posted:

I love the part where Li Ru comes to Sun Jian's camp to propose a marriage between Dong Zhuo's daughter and Sun Quan. His face once Sun Quan walks in is absolutely priceless.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Been playing Sengoku Basara on PS3 and its feeling much more repetitive than DW7 or WO3, is there's anything more or should I just stop?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RBX posted:

Been playing Sengoku Basara on PS3 and its feeling much more repetitive than DW7 or WO3, is there's anything more or should I just stop?
I think part of it is that Basara stages are designed to be single-purpose and almost completely linear (complete with the same voice lines triggering at certain points no matter what), while a Musou game's map can be used a whole bunch of different ways. 8 is being particularly good about that, with alternate story mode versions of a lot of the stages, and then the somewhat-randomized scenarios in Shosei mode.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

RBX posted:

I actually felt the same way. Basara's way more repetitive to me - just on the grounds that there's so much filler. I wanted to try all the characters but it got way too obvious I was just going through the same stages over and over with no real change or chance for variation.

Basically to me, it feels like Dynasty Warriors blended with Megaman. A character's stage is ALWAYS going to be that. There's no variation, no change in strategy. You make your way to the boss and beat them. Basically, it's no different than choosing your stage in Mega Man except you can play as other characters besides Mega Man- except it doesn't change the fact that Metal Man's stage is exactly the same.

A standard DW/SW/WO stage has at least the minor chance that something could play out differently. If the Morale RNG favors the CPU, you have Red swarming your commander. A different strategy (I clear out the north instead of the west first) can make the battle flow differently. Slightly slow on rescuing someone? Battle's harder. It's more of a sandbox than a theme park.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is he saying "hee hee hee heee! WOOOO!!" as he runs away? Please tell me he is, even if it isn't true.
Then it's true. :D The whole scene seems to begin around midway through episode 27.

If I recall correctly, 2010's version was basically the first to actually be done as a "proper" TV show while the famous 1993 version (1986 actually?) was essentially the filming of a stage version of the novel?

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

It just occurred to me, I don't think I've ever played a stage in a musou game at below normal difficulty. What's it even like? On normal they hardly ever attack you and even when they do they can never hit you when you're moving, I basically never finished stages at anything other than full hit points. On the lower difficulty levels are the enemies somehow even less dangerous?

The last DW-style game I played was Warriors Orochi 2 on the PS2, so it may have changed since then. In any case, on Easy what a lot of enemies will do is run up to you, stop, circle around you, occasionally throw out a single attack... then circle around you some more. Sometimes they won't even attack you and instead continue to circle around you. Generals are slightly more aggressive but only the head coammander(s) in a stage tend to make any effort to actually attack you. Also, the AI might as well not even know blocking exists for how little it gets used.

Lastly, just about the only way you can lose is by literally doing nothing at all the whole time. Hell, if memory serves, the Yellow Turban Rebellion stages in DW3 were so easy on Easy that you could put down the controller when the stage started and the allied AI would still be able to do everything short of finish the stage for you.

In short, Easy is what you set the game on if you're introducing someone to the series for the first time and you want to be sure nothing resembling a dangerous situation occurs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Falconer posted:

The last DW-style game I played was Warriors Orochi 2 on the PS2, so it may have changed since then. In any case, on Easy what a lot of enemies will do is run up to you, stop, circle around you, occasionally throw out a single attack... then circle around you some more. Sometimes they won't even attack you and instead continue to circle around you. Generals are slightly more aggressive but only the head coammander(s) in a stage tend to make any effort to actually attack you. Also, the AI might as well not even know blocking exists for how little it gets used.

Lastly, just about the only way you can lose is by literally doing nothing at all the whole time. Hell, if memory serves, the Yellow Turban Rebellion stages in DW3 were so easy on Easy that you could put down the controller when the stage started and the allied AI would still be able to do everything short of finish the stage for you.

In short, Easy is what you set the game on if you're introducing someone to the series for the first time and you want to be sure nothing resembling a dangerous situation occurs.
But like I said, that's what they do on normal. They only stop doing that on hard and above.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I play all of the DW games on easy. :shobon:

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

SirPhoebos posted:

Red Cliff is in my top ten movies. The battle of Chi Bi is amazing, and the point in the first movie where Guan Yu shows up as reinforcements BY HIMSELF is goddamn epic.

Is the 2010 series worth getting? I've not heard too much about it.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
The 2010 series has been linked a few times in this thread on Youtube. I'm on episode 10 right now and I've really come to like Lu Bu, he's played pretty sympathetically so far. The past few DW interpretations have moved him gradually from "powerful warrior" towards "intangible maelstrom of pride and power" so it's refreshing to have a slightly more human portrayal!

Red Cliff was an excellent movie (or two) and I spent the entire thing in love with Zhuge Liang and his quirky smugness. It was also nice to see Zhao Wei as Sun Shangxiang - I'd watched 14 Blades the night before and it was nice to have an actor I was already familiar with. :3:

e: I bought Samurai Warriors 2 on XBL the other day as something to play while my other half does her Warcraft daily quests and dear lord does ever it scratch that oldschool Warriors itch. Collecting weapons, cinematic character introductions, free mode and the added bonus of not knowing any of the characters and their stories takes me back to the days of good old DW3/4. I miss a lot of DW7's modern touches but the gameplay and systems are so familiar I can wear my nostalgia goggles on a brand new game.

Teratrain fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 17, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
"Intangible maelstrom of pride and power" is the best way to describe him in DW I have heard yet, even when you're playing as him. I just played the one story mission he has in DW8, and all I remember is "RAAARGH!!" and plowing people through the ground with his spear. And I was the one freaking controlling him.

edit: kinda like playing as Kratos in GoW come to think of it, except that Lu Bu has somewhat more variety in how he can kill people.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 18, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samurai Sanders posted:

"Intangible maelstrom of pride and power" is the best way to describe him in DW I have heard yet, even when you're playing as him. I just played the one story mission he has in DW8, and all I remember is "RAAARGH!!" and plowing people through the ground with his spear. And I was the one freaking controlling him.

Lu Bu is probably the biggest reason I'm glad that there'll be English VAs for DW8, assuming they keep Jaimeson Price.

Well, him, Sima Yi, and Zhang Jiao. Those three are like a cornicopia of hammy VA. :allears:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Sima Yi's English DW7 VA felt underwhelming... while his Japanese VA recently took a spill and passed away days ago.

Enallyniv posted:

The 2010 series has been linked a few times in this thread on Youtube. I'm on episode 10 right now and I've really come to like Lu Bu, he's played pretty sympathetically so far. The past few DW interpretations have moved him gradually from "powerful warrior" towards "intangible maelstrom of pride and power" so it's refreshing to have a slightly more human portrayal!
Even Dong Zhuo has his amicable moments in the 2010 series.

I should add that its depiction of Wang Yun is less nice compared to the novel -- near the end of episode 7, he finds out that Lu Bu and Diaochan have been seeing each other since the retreat from Luoyang to Chang'an, and in episode 8 he first agrees for Lu Bu and Diaochan to wed, then he tells Diaochan the part about giving her to Dong Zhuo...

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

SirPhoebos posted:

Lu Bu is probably the biggest reason I'm glad that there'll be English VAs for DW8, assuming they keep Jaimeson Price.

Well, him, Sima Yi, and Zhang Jiao. Those three are like a cornicopia of hammy VA. :allears:

Zhang Jiao was definitely awesome in DW7 and he almost sounds like Dr. Orpheus so I just imagine him leading the YTR.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jibo posted:

Zhang Jiao was definitely awesome in DW7 and he almost sounds like Dr. Orpheus so I just imagine him leading the YTR.

I just loved how he speeded up near the end of every sentence. "This is AMIRACLEOFTHEHEAVENS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Darth Walrus posted:

I just loved how he speeded up near the end of every sentence. "This is AMIRACLEOFTHEHEAVENS!"

Also half his lines being screamed.