Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ryan8723 posted:

:psyduck: That is horrible! :wtf: How do they justify not telling employees about something major? Because it would affect business deals? That's the epitome of "gently caress You" from upper management.

This is really, really common. I've survived (or not) maybe ten rounds of layoffs in the last five years, and only once did I find out about them before they were in the papers. In one case (the non-survival), I knew from the morning newspaper that my department no longer existed before I even got into work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Got called out for having a bad tone with the DumbBoss in the meeting yesterday. Maybe I wouldn't have to correct you like a small child if you would understand the basic functions of our loving job. It's been three years, you think you would know what the different kinds of projects are called.

But no, I need to RESPECT him in front of the group

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

Christ. Plenty of places in the UK just BACS pay straight into your account then email you the breakdown slip.

Direct deposit and a mail with a password protected PDF with the pay stub. (The password was chosen by me when I got hired)
The only thing that could be easier was at my old place where the money was deposited and the stub was mailed to my E-boks. Now I'm uploading them there myself.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Defenestration posted:

Got called out for having a bad tone with the DumbBoss in the meeting yesterday. Maybe I wouldn't have to correct you like a small child if you would understand the basic functions of our loving job. It's been three years, you think you would know what the different kinds of projects are called.

But no, I need to RESPECT him in front of the group

No, you need to appear to treat him with respect. You need to remember that you're dealing with someone who can fire you (or talk to someone who can fire you). These people in management got there with what seems to be a very finely tuned sense of jackassery combined with never admitting fault. Yes, it's frustrating as hell to deal with them. Yes, they probably can't do the job nearly as well as you. That doesn't matter. You say "yes sir" or "no sir", you correct them as tactfully as you possibly can, and you document the gently caress out of every stupid decision and every time they didn't take your advice. That way you aren't upsetting them and you're covered when the bad times come down the line.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

ItalicSquirrels posted:

That way you aren't upsetting them and you're covered when the bad times come down the line.
I agree with most of your post, just not with all and especially I disagree with the snippet above.
Documenting to Cover Your rear end will do very little when the poo poo hits the fan. The people you are dealing with will downright lie it ever happened, accuse you of fabricating mails and smooth talk their way out of a hard spot, while making you look like a nit-picking rear end in a top hat that is out to get someone. You'd better invest in people skills and a strong internal and external network.
This is part of doing your job well, ensuring future employment. No, it is not in your job description nor will it refer to anything you learned in engineering school but catch up or get out.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
I am amazed by how much time people spend "pooping" at work now that there are smartphones. I went in to brush my teeth after lunch. There were a pair of scuffed Doc Martens beneath the stall.

Two hours later, I went back to take a dump. He was still there after I finished and left.

Maybe he's dead in there?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

ryan8723 posted:

:psyduck: That is horrible! :wtf: How do they justify not telling employees about something major? Because it would affect business deals? That's the epitome of "gently caress You" from upper management.

Hahahaha, oh you. I found out about a major product delay once when random newspapers started calling me at 5 in the morning looking for comment on it. Imagine the Wall Street Journal rolls you out of bed to ask you why your latest thing is delayed and demands comment.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
If you're going to be there for hours, why not just go to a coffee shop?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So a new position opened up at my company for a different project but with a higher pay band (only by one). I spoke with both my current and the hiring manager about it, applied for it and I've also got at least one person on that team working to get me on board. It seems like a good prospect and a good fit, but I'll have to wait and see.

But I can't lie and say I wouldn't be pissed if I didn't get it. Not because I hate my current position or anything, just the fact the job is similar to the one I have now but my pay band is lower whereas the other position is one higher (and with slightly less responsibilities). Also, my current position is getting some new responsibilities in the next few months, though they are supposed to be limited, it already feels like the person I'm supposed to be helping is just using it as an excuse to shuffle all the related work to my deck.

Oh, all that and the fact that the hiring manager let it slip during an informal interview that the pay band is what most people in the office already have, except for me and a few other people hired in the last three years. Ugh.

I guess the silver lining is regardless of what happens, annual cost of living pay raises/reviews are in April :smith:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Good luck! I'm in almost exactly the same situation but sadly it's not working out too good so far, hopefully you'll do better.

The position I applied for is also very similar to what I do now with great feedback, so I know I'm an almost perfect fit. They'd need to relocate me and none of the three languages they're looking for match the five I speak, but working here I know they're "nice to have" at best, because everyone has to speak English anyway.

I also had my direct manager, a director with who I'm now working, and possibly their boss recommending me for this position, but despite everything seemingly matching up, I haven't heard anything from anyone since a phone interview with the hiring team two weeks ago, to the point of my email to the interviewers being ignored. The position's been open for over a month so I know they're not overflowing with good candidates.

I'm almost more disappointed for them that they won't be getting me, than I am for not getting the job :D

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

basx posted:

I am amazed by how much time people spend "pooping" at work now that there are smartphones. I went in to brush my teeth after lunch. There were a pair of scuffed Doc Martens beneath the stall.

Two hours later, I went back to take a dump. He was still there after I finished and left.

Maybe he's dead in there?

At my last employer in Corporate America© before I went back to school, there was a guy who'd spend most of the day on the internet, come in after everyone else, leave before everyone else, and of course was a frequent bathroom stall visitor. See, I don't have any particular problem with the two former activities. His assigned job duties were so minimal that I'm sure he was accomplishing them with ease, while still having time to check fantasy baseball scores, and avoiding most of both the AM and PM rush hours by having a shorter workday. But the bathroom stall occupancy was goddamn ridiculous, and this was exacerbated by the fact that our fully-occupied floor of the building (a medium-sized skyscraper in downtown Chicago) had only THREE stalls in the men's room. So at about 10:30, when everyone's coffee shits* start kicking in and people need to, you know, actually use the stall, he's in there for 30 minutes at a time contemplating whatever paperback novel he brought in there with him.

* The subject of coffee reminds me of another story from that place. On the internal website, they had a quality improvement system, where employees could suggest changes in anything the company does. A panel of employees would then get together and decide if the proposed change was beneficial, and if so the change was implemented. Well one suggestion on this quality improvement system was repeatedly brought up by the company's office services director; he proposed that the company stop ordering Starbucks coffee for the two kitchens on each floor and switch to something else because the monthly budget for that coffee was something in the neighborhood of $5,000-$10,000. The quality improvement panel said nope to this, I guess they just loved their loving Starbucks and were too lazy to walk across the street to get a cup.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Not related to my current job, but my boss at the last job, along with about half the office got put on an performance improvement plan, according to the latest facebook rumormongering from a former coworker there. Doesn't that pretty much mean they're going to get shitcanned?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ryan8723 posted:

Is there an HR presentation that isn't loving useless? Seriously is there? Because I've never seen one that was an absolute waste of my time.

They showed us this. It was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcg53bRktCg

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

Peven Stan posted:

Not related to my current job, but my boss at the last job, along with about half the office got put on an performance improvement plan, according to the latest facebook rumormongering from a former coworker there. Doesn't that pretty much mean they're going to get shitcanned?

Only if they don't meet the bare minimum required by the PIP before their next annual review.

It's pretty hard to get fired these days unless you can't scrounge up a single nano-gently caress to give.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

It's actually very easy to get fired these days and it often has absolutely nothing to do with how much of a gently caress you give.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Earwicker posted:

It's actually very easy to get fired these days and it often has absolutely nothing to do with how much of a gently caress you give.

I think this discussion rather depends on where you live. In the UK, it's pretty drat hard to get fired especially in a corporate role. In the USA, doesn't it rather depend on whether your state is a rather ironically named 'right to work' state or not?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

rolleyes posted:

I think this discussion rather depends on where you live. In the UK, it's pretty drat hard to get fired especially in a corporate role. In the USA, doesn't it rather depend on whether your state is a rather ironically named 'right to work' state or not?

Right to work (for less) only concerns unions. All states are at-will states I think.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
Right to work is more anti-union than anything else.

What you're thinking of is "at will" employment, meaning that either the company or you can terminate your employment contract at any time. I'm reasonably certain that all states have some version of this built into their laws. Now technically, you can't be fired for some things e.g. race, religion, prior military service, but good luck proving that you were fired because of that especially when the employer doesn't need to state a reason.

Edit: It looks like military vets are actually not a protected class. My state considers them as such, but the laws are different in every state.

Initio fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 13, 2013

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Peven Stan posted:

Right to work (for less) only concerns unions. All states are at-will states I think.

Apologies, not living there I always get those two mixed up. I had it in my mind that there were a couple of states where at-will didn't apply, but I've probably got that wrong too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

rolleyes posted:

Apologies, not living there I always get those two mixed up. I had it in my mind that there were a couple of states where at-will didn't apply, but I've probably got that wrong too.

I'm pretty sure you are correct in that there are some states that have some sort of exemption.

However in general if you are in the US and someone wants to fire you, they can just do it, and it often has nothing to do with your actual productivity. Though at certain levels firings might look like resignations from the outside.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Earwicker posted:

I'm pretty sure you are correct in that there are some states that have some sort of exemption.

Montana is the one exception. Though the specific implementation was not necessarily to the benefit of employees.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

However in general if you are in the US and someone wants to fire you, they can just do it, and it often has nothing to do with your actual productivity. Though at certain levels firings might look like resignations from the outside.

I witnessed a firing that was like this. Person with a long history of work problems slept in and missed a meeting with the federal mediation and conciliation service which resulted in a default judgement for the employer. She was given a one month "vacation" and asked to resign. Though if she wanted to, she could have filed a grievance with the union that covered us at the time and dragged it out, but she got a neutral recommendation out of resigning quietly and not involving the union.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Though at certain levels firings might look like resignations from the outside.

Also, many (most?) companies that have any sort of severance or termination packages tend to put in the caveat that they are rescinded in the event of any retaliatory actions by the terminated employee. My last severance package listed union grievance, public statements against the company, contesting the firing to HR, any federal or civil suits leveled against company, or participation in any class action suit against the company during a period of two years following completion of employment as cause for rescinding the severance payments.

This also applied to golden parachutes. Shut up, take your money, and get out. Don't play nice and your parachute is voided.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Well an update to my story. The hiring manager wants me to interview for the position next week. I went to my current manager to let her know (and she has been an absolutely amazing first boss in my first "real" job, pretty much the Grandmother I never had but in boss form) and she told me that the hiring manager let her know and apologized for 'stealing' her best people. My boss then began to tear up a little bit as she said she was glad I was looking for new roles and ways to learn within the company and hoped I landed the new position.

Feels good but at the same time, it absolutely made me feel bad. God dammit :smith:

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
To be clear, it's very difficult to get fired, at least in my state. But you make your list and wait for the next re-org, because it's easy as hell to lay people off.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Sundae posted:

This also applied to golden parachutes. Shut up, take your money, and get out. Don't play nice and your parachute is voided.

My last layoff they made me sign a non-disparagement to get my severance, so when people ask I say, "Oh, they laid me off and they made me sign a non-disparagement" and let their imaginations take it from there.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

My last layoff they made me sign a non-disparagement to get my severance, so when people ask I say, "Oh, they laid me off and they made me sign a non-disparagement" and let their imaginations take it from there.

Yep. Pretty much all you can do.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I think my HR hosed me over when I started this job. I interviewed for two position and got the title and pay for one (the least prestigious one) and the responsibilities of the other. My manager recognizes this though and promised I would get my title changed and pay adjusted to the appropriate level in January when the company does it's annual evaluation of employess. But I don't want to wait that long.

Is three months too soon to start applying for other jobs?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I think my HR hosed me over when I started this job. I interviewed for two position and got the title and pay for one (the least prestigious one) and the responsibilities of the other. My manager recognizes this though and promised I would get my title changed and pay adjusted to the appropriate level in January when the company does it's annual evaluation of employess. But I don't want to wait that long.

Not at all! A more fluid workforce is the future! :yotj:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Find another job RFN. Ask you boss if he'll match the offer AND make the correct pay for your responsibilities retroactive to your start date. Then give your notice, 'cause there's no way that's happening.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I don't know why people say to even ask the company to match the offer. I really just can't imagine this working out in your favor at all.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

This sort of thing is common. HR is well aware that your starting wage at a company is the single biggest determinant of how much they'll pay you in your entire employment relationship. They'll make it a big deal to throw you some sort of bone in January - a measly 2k or whatever; whereas if they had been fair in the beginning, you'd be earning a far bigger wage right now and for the rest of the time there.

I used to worry about spending too little time at companies. Not anymore - get the hell out of there if you aren't being compensated fairly and by someone acting in good faith (so long as you have marketable skills, of course).

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Harry posted:

I don't know why people say to even ask the company to match the offer. I really just can't imagine this working out in your favor at all.

Because occasionally, very, very occasionally, it's not that the company's trying to short-change you, it's just that the HR bod, you manager, whoever, is busy-as-hell/distracted/just plain doesn't know what the going rate is, and they react sensibly and realise that it's cheaper to pay you the going rate than have to hire someone new at the going rate with all the associated costs. If you've been in a position for some time, slowly accumulating responsibilities, you could be bloody expensive to replace. Some people (management who don't want to pay an appropriate wage) might view this as extortion, but that's just a fancy way of saying "paying you what you're worth."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Harry posted:

Professional courtesy.

fake edit: ^^^ and that

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Kerbtree posted:

Because occasionally, very, very occasionally, it's not that the company's trying to short-change you, it's just that the HR bod, you manager, whoever, is busy-as-hell/distracted/just plain doesn't know what the going rate is, and they react sensibly and realise that it's cheaper to pay you the going rate than have to hire someone new at the going rate with all the associated costs. If you've been in a position for some time, slowly accumulating responsibilities, you could be bloody expensive to replace. Some people (management who don't want to pay an appropriate wage) might view this as extortion, but that's just a fancy way of saying "paying you what you're worth."

Maybe if you've been there for a while (5+ years), but anything short of that I just can't imagine any management not seeing you as a flight risk since well, you are.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Harry posted:

Maybe if you've been there for a while (5+ years), but anything short of that I just can't imagine any management not seeing you as a flight risk since well, you are.

Er, yeah - that was kind of what I was failing to say - it's entirely dependent on company er.. personality. It's a sight easier to get them to agree to it without it being seen as predatory/"holding your breath" in a small company, but the budget will be tighter unless they're making money hand-over-fist.

Also, just plain how stupid/malicious/wannabe-Machiavelli your management are. Kindly Uncle Mike everyone's favourite director's more likely to give you a significant raise because you're buying a house and there's a kid on the way than FuckYou McRandroid, who'd get the government to force the unemployed to do your job for free if he could work out how.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 17, 2013

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Kerbtree posted:

Er, yeah - that was kind of what I was failing to say - it's entirely dependent on company er.. personality. It's a sight easier to get them to agree to it without it being seen as predatory/"holding your breath" in a small company, but the budget will be tighter unless they're making money hand-over-fist.

Also, just plain how stupid/malicious/wannabe-Machiavelli your management are. Kindly Uncle Mike everyone's favourite director's more likely to give you a significant raise because you're buying a house and there's a kid on the way than FuckYou McRandroid, who'd get the government to force the unemployed to do your job for free if he could work out how.

Also probably depends on the corporate culture. Here pretty much the only way to advance is to jump from various division to various other divisions so they pretty much count on people bailing every 3-4 years; if you come with an offer they'll usually try to meet it.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Yeah in my office, my manager even told me that people usually jump ship in 2 or 3 years since so many of company's competitors are in the area.

I have started to look for new opportunities now.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

So my big time career in corporate started, joined an international company with 150.000 employees.

Day 1: Ate something bad the night before, slept only a few hours and went to my onboarding day sick as a dog. Nobody noticed until I said I wasn't feeling well and can we please have a break from this 4 hour HR meeting? Did I mention this was all 1on1 meetings as there were no others joining that day? Then moved to the customer site, another huge corporation. No logins were in place, nothing was arranged for and the stuff that was requested on time got lost, resubmit everything please? Got a sneak peak at my workload for the coming months, I think I will go and write a novel or learn a new skill that looks like work.

Day 2: Arrived at customer site with my own machine, read documents. That was it.

So while this might not be the most interesting week in my life, everyone was friendly, I got the advice to create a big network because I would likely have some spare time so spend it on personal relationships.

The pay is so good, it makes up for everything and with the jobmarket as it is, things could have been like last week when I had no income. Knowing myself, I aim to channel all my energy into getting the network in place and then moving big projects to my desk with the added self-promotion. Or end up disappointed and leave in a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rodent Mortician posted:

Also probably depends on the corporate culture. Here pretty much the only way to advance is to jump from various division to various other divisions so they pretty much count on people bailing every 3-4 years; if you come with an offer they'll usually try to meet it.

Where I work the only way to advance is to either take over someone else's responsibilities after they've left and add them to your own and then hope/wait (depending on who you report to) for eventual recognition, or to get an offer somewhere else with a better title and have it matched.