Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Nermal. posted:

This seems to be more of a synthesis thread, but maybe someone knows this... it's bothered me for a long time.

It seems like in the last 4 years all of my favorite artists have a track or two with this style. Whenever the kick drum hits, it's like it draws the power out of all the other instruments and they go almost silent. It's got a lo-fi "I made this on a broken 4 track I found in my dad's garage" kind of feel and I like it. I have got close by abusing the settings on limiters but its not quite right. Lone's earlier stuff has it everywhere:

http://youtu.be/sCEcXfYxvTo

http://youtu.be/tnLm1M08u5I

What are these guys doing? It's probably very simple.

It's called a "sidechain" and the gist of it is that you chain a track (i.e the lead synth) to the kick, and have the kick act as a compressor on the lead track. That way, whenever the kick is played, it acts like a really high compressor on the lead synth, ducking the sounds completely so the kick really punches through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
The drum triggers a compressor - on a bussed submix for example - set so it only kicks in when that bass hits. Look for +ducking +compression - it's an old technique used by radio announcers to drown out the music while they talk without having to ride faders, but recently made popular again in dance (for clarity and/or to keep bass and drums from eating up all the low end) by people like Daft Punk. If you Google them +sidechaining you'll see many howtos. Also here in ML probably.

efb

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I've personally noticed that sidechaining in rock-music works really well too, because I love myself a boomy kick while also having a really low end to the bass guitar and having the two fight for the same spot can mud up the track unless you give the kick time to breathe whenever it is played, so sidechaining it gives me the ability to have both a boomy kick and that low bass without having the track just seem like mud.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Yes, that's where I saw it done for the first time actually, mid-80s Brian Ferry session. Never thought about it again until dance started to become popular.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!
Holy poo poo. Thank you guys. I've heard that term for a long time and never realized that's what it's for. There are like 5 dozen tutorial videos on it. I've already tried it a few times and its a pretty clever/ elegant solution. Who thinks of this stuff?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Trying to figure out Deadmau5's Ghosts N' Stuff bassline, but YT isn't too helpful and my brain isn't wokring.

What happens here (22s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ArUgxtlJs&t=21s

DUN DUN DUN DUWAAAAH DUN DUN.

It's not obviously an LFO or enveloped. Is it just stacks of modulation/automation?

I have Operator, Massive, FM8.

well why not fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 19, 2013

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

well why not posted:

Trying to figure out Deadmau5's Ghosts N' Stuff bassline, but YT isn't too helpful and my brain isn't wokring.

What happens here (22s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ArUgxtlJs&t=21s

DUN DUN DUN DUWAAAAH DUN DUN.

It's not obviously an LFO or enveloped. Is it just stacks of modulation/automation?

3 or 4 repeats of the same sample with the cutoff being swept down, a sample of the same patch playing several registers higher, then, not really too sure how to get that wub thingy, a sample with a really strong fade in or rising envelope applied to the attack. But, yeah, pretty sure that's achieved by doing piecemeal samples rather than a continuous line.

Should be able to pull it off with Massive and the sound editor of your choosing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I just hear a bunch of creative wide range pitch bending + some filter automation. There's an LFO affecting the pitch in there that has it's speed linked to key follow, which gives you that 'It's a sample!' notion, but in my opinion it doesn't have to be.

Massive is always a good shout for Deadmau5' stuff, though.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Does anyone know how I might attempt to get shoegazey/dreampoppy sounding guitars without pedals etc but with VST effects and a clean guitar? I've had some luck using amp effects to get crunchy rock guitars, but I don't know how to go about getting a shoegaze sound

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I want to get a Blaster Beam type sound on my synth. I googled it and there was a gearslutz thread; specifically, this sound is the closest to what I want. How would I recreate it on a Waldorf Blofeld? Theoretically, it shouldn't be that hard but some of the techniques don't seem to translate perfectly.

I guess what I'm asking for is more how the oscillators on the JP-8 interact than strict sounds advice but it still seems appropriate for this thread. :v:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Paperhouse posted:

Does anyone know how I might attempt to get shoegazey/dreampoppy sounding guitars without pedals etc but with VST effects and a clean guitar? I've had some luck using amp effects to get crunchy rock guitars, but I don't know how to go about getting a shoegaze sound

For dreampop guitars you're probably going to want chorus and compression. For shoegaze specifically, the big effect that everyone loves is reverse gated reverb. There are a few plugins that can do it (I know Altiverb does it but Altiverb is kind of pricey) but you could also reverse a guitar track, add reverb, and then reverse it again. Are you looking to do this for live applications or just for studio recording?

E: Also, you'll probably want to use a fuzz for those big distorted sounds rather than a straight up distortion. That's personal taste, though. Was there a specific artist you were trying to emulate?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Flipperwaldt posted:

I just hear a bunch of creative wide range pitch bending + some filter automation. There's an LFO affecting the pitch in there that has it's speed linked to key follow, which gives you that 'It's a sample!' notion, but in my opinion it doesn't have to be.

Massive is always a good shout for Deadmau5' stuff, though.

Massive is great, but I find the Arturia Minimoog is a bit better for getting the pluckier progressive house sounds that deadmau5 is largely famous for. Of course that doesn't help terribly much for Ghosts N Stuff- massive and FM8 are probably a bit better suited to that end.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Declan MacManus posted:

For dreampop guitars you're probably going to want chorus and compression. For shoegaze specifically, the big effect that everyone loves is reverse gated reverb. There are a few plugins that can do it (I know Altiverb does it but Altiverb is kind of pricey) but you could also reverse a guitar track, add reverb, and then reverse it again. Are you looking to do this for live applications or just for studio recording?

E: Also, you'll probably want to use a fuzz for those big distorted sounds rather than a straight up distortion. That's personal taste, though. Was there a specific artist you were trying to emulate?

Thanks for this. It's just for recording only. And there's not really a specific band I'm trying to emulate, just trying to work out how they all get those kinds of sounds so I can play around with it myself

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Smutton posted:

Has this been answered? Try putting an LFO on the amplitude of some bright white noise (kill the low and mid, crank the high) then add lots of reverb. Automate some panning.

Great idea - simple and effective. Thanks.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I love this thread! I meant to ask something here a long time ago, but I never got around to it. I'm glad this thread is still going.

I'm working on a software synthesizer that I made for the purpose of making demos (like this one, only not nearly as good.) So far I've made a few songs with it, but it sounds pretty basic.

There are a lot of synth sounds that I want to figure out, and I'm trying to figure out how to program the actual algorithms. If I can identify a specific type of keyboard that can make something that will help, but I'm especially interested in knowing how to recreate synth effects from scratch.

I've got a ton of examples, but I'll try to pick out the best ones. See if you can figure out any of these:

Beyond the Mind's Eye - Transformers: What is the main synth at the beginning? I really want to know how to get my synth to sound like that. It's one of my favorite sounds.

Sonic CD - Stardust Speedway: What's that airy synth sound at the beginning?

Bananarama - Look On The Floor: How are they making that bass sound? Starts at 0:04.

Jan Johnston & Serge Devant - Transparent (Outback Remix): Another great bass that I want to emulate. Starts at the beginning.

Finally, an easy one: I've heard a lot of music with a very similar bass-y synth sound. Examples can be heard here, here, here, and here. I think it's the same basic function for all of them. It sounds like a pretty simple effect, but I can't quite reproduce it.

I could keep posting links all day, but I'll stop here. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. :)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What sort of keys are at the start of this Spor tune :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXfarZQGPJEShare

I can't remember the name for this sound.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnAvTTaJjM

The solo at 1:47... how???

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Red Garland posted:

The solo at 1:47... how???
Sounds like a gated, pitchbended synth.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Laserjet 4P posted:

You have enough. The only issue I see is that I have nothing you have, and this calls for a typical "dry" Roland-ish filter as found on the 106.

If you're feeling up to it you could try to recreate this screenshot on the AN200 (ignore all the parts you can't find on the AN; oscillator, filter and envelope only count) While U-He ACE (cheap, good) doesn't exactly get that kind of sound, it gets really close. I'd wager DIVA could get even closer.

I've tried doing it with the AN200. But due to the lack of a sub-oscillator it just sounded a little weak. A more little research led me to the TAL U-NO-LX which is pretty much the closest a VST can get to a real Juno 106. This combined with the recipe you gave me totally did the trick.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhfzXZZSot0&t=118s

I've been trying to get a similar tone to the Dragon Attack solo (second solo is 2:02 in). Is it just the Red Special (which is annoying to replicate without a guitar wired similarly) into an AC30 with a treble booster?

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6oAFlPLGA8

Quite simple, really - the rhythm guitar sound in this one. I've been trying to get that 80s rhythm sound but never came very close. Could someone enlighten me what makes it sound so special? If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's the BM - A - Bm chord progression going on in the background in the intro.

Red Garland fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 16, 2013

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Anyone got any tips for garage rock type vocals? It's hard to put into words but a lot of recent-ish bands have a vocal sound that is sort of a little fuzzy, a little distorted, it's still quite clear but it sounds appropriately rocky. I'm guessing it's some sort of equalisation trick or simple vst effect but I wonder if anyone knows what I mean and can explain it

This is a pretty extreme example, it's pretty heavily manipulated and I'm not necessarily looking for something so affected, but it's the general idea and tricks to getting that sort of sound I'm after

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 16, 2013

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

Anyone got any tips for garage rock type vocals? It's hard to put into words but a lot of recent-ish bands have a vocal sound that is sort of a little fuzzy, a little distorted, it's still quite clear but it sounds appropriately rocky. I'm guessing it's some sort of equalisation trick or simple vst effect but I wonder if anyone knows what I mean and can explain it

This is a pretty extreme example, it's pretty heavily manipulated and I'm not necessarily looking for something so affected, but it's the general idea and tricks to getting that sort of sound I'm after

I've managed to get vocals on a track of my own in a similar tone (albeit not as heavily manipulated as the sogn you linked), what I did was to eliminate everything under 400hz, boost the higher frequencies at 6khz and up (depending on the vocalists voice) and then I threw on a phaser which has a min-max range of 40-40hz (I use reaper so it might work a lot differently with other plugins)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Red Garland posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6oAFlPLGA8

Quite simple, really - the rhythm guitar sound in this one. I've been trying to get that 80s rhythm sound but never came very close. Could someone enlighten me what makes it sound so special? If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's the BM - A - Bm chord progression going on in the background in the intro.

Squeaky clean Fender (probably a silverface model but that's just a guess; if you're just looking for Generic 80's Clean Tone you'd also be well served with a Roland Jazz Chorus or any emulation of one), bridge pickup of a Telecaster, decent amount of compression, maybe a little chorus. Using all upstrokes helps, since it's basically a reggae part.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013

Declan MacManus posted:

Squeaky clean Fender (probably a silverface model but that's just a guess; if you're just looking for Generic 80's Clean Tone you'd also be well served with a Roland Jazz Chorus or any emulation of one), bridge pickup of a Telecaster, decent amount of compression, maybe a little chorus. Using all upstrokes helps, since it's basically a reggae part.

Would I be able to get that sound playing just on a Digitech RP155 plugged into a PC and through headphones? I guess that's more of a guitar thread question, but in general what's better - playing quietly on a regular apmlifier or normally, but through a processor and speakers? I live in a flat. It will change in a couple of weeks so I'll be able to rock out as much as I want but for now, it is what it is.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

http://youtu.be/UoKwByIW33I?t=32s

At around :40 there's a transition into a bridge. The guitar also takes on a different tone. Is that just a Strat through a Leslie?

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012
I'm glad I found this thread. I am a complete novice when it comes to synthesis, but I really want to learn the skills. I've got the Synthesis Cook Book by Fred Welsh so I have to get through that at some point.

More on topic, I've been listening to Dam Funk lately and really like the synth sounds he gets in his tracks. I really like funk sounding synth patches but I haven't run across many good presets or tutorials on YouTube when it comes to funk synth sounds.

A prime example is this song on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/damfunk/this-time-take-it-out-on-the

How would you go about recreating the pad and lead synths?

There are too many funk sounds I'd like to create, but I figure the song I linked is a good starting point to learning how to make them.

Thanks!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The pad sound - 2 sawtooth waves, slightly detuned. The drift in pitch is caused by the LFO which is routed to the oscillator pitch, and the intensity of the drift is controlled by the modulation wheel.

The lead: single oscillator saw wave, monophonic (e.g. you can only play one note at a time). Portamento is enabled - this causes notes to glide smoothly. The portamento rate is quite low - you can hear it slide but it doesn't take seconds.

What synths/plugins do you have at your disposal?

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012

Laserjet 4P posted:

The pad sound - 2 sawtooth waves, slightly detuned. The drift in pitch is caused by the LFO which is routed to the oscillator pitch, and the intensity of the drift is controlled by the modulation wheel.

The lead: single oscillator saw wave, monophonic (e.g. you can only play one note at a time). Portamento is enabled - this causes notes to glide smoothly. The portamento rate is quite low - you can hear it slide but it doesn't take seconds.

What synths/plugins do you have at your disposal?

I've got Synth1 and Massive, I've played around with Massive a little but haven't really come up with anything great. There's a lot on the control panel and it is slightly overwhelming! I've also got a Korg Kronos that I play piano on, but I haven't looked at the synth options on that yet.

Do you have any tips specific to detuning? When I try to detune I can't get a decent sound, I usually get something that feels jarring, but perhaps I am going about it all wrong.

Thanks for your help! I still find it amazing that people can hear a synth patch and know what kind of waves made it and what filtering and effects were used. Sometimes I can pick the wave type, I guess it's something you pick up over time.

EMZ998
Dec 11, 2007
x+x+
Heya I was just wondering what kind of amps / pedals would one use to get that loud 70s rock n' roll or protopunk sound that groups like MC5 or The Stooges had.

Same thing with the more fuzz pop punk with groups like Buzzcocks, The Jam.

Really more than any can someone tell me about Ging Nang Boyz? Id give a youtube link but cant do it from my phone.

Edit : Got to a computer, THIS SOUND : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y40cNWYjSGI

EMZ998 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 27, 2013

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

This song is glorious and sounds like it belongs on the soundtrack of Pilot Wings 64.

Charles: With detuning, the key is to do it very tastefully. The more an oscillator is detuned, the more it sounds like a distinct tone and the faster the 'beat' frequency. The beat frequency described that slight rythmic variation in intensity (Not those pitch wobbles, but on a sustained note). To get those nice long tones that seem to evolve and fill up space, you want only the slightest of detuning. It is incredibly easy to overdo detuning, and you usually won't go past '1' (on a 0-10 dial so to speak) to achieve the effect you want.

Also, learning the difference between detuning individual oscillators from one another, and unison detuning will help in reproducing more complex timbres on pads.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles
This is probably hopeless, but what is the intro sound here and how the hell?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJDpXPVFRUo

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

This song is glorious and sounds like it belongs on the soundtrack of Pilot Wings 64.

Charles: With detuning, the key is to do it very tastefully. The more an oscillator is detuned, the more it sounds like a distinct tone and the faster the 'beat' frequency. The beat frequency described that slight rythmic variation in intensity (Not those pitch wobbles, but on a sustained note). To get those nice long tones that seem to evolve and fill up space, you want only the slightest of detuning. It is incredibly easy to overdo detuning, and you usually won't go past '1' (on a 0-10 dial so to speak) to achieve the effect you want.

Also, learning the difference between detuning individual oscillators from one another, and unison detuning will help in reproducing more complex timbres on pads.

Thanks for the help, I think I have probably been going over the top when experimenting with detuning synth patches. Ideally I'd link to build a library of patches similar to what Dam Funk utilizes. I really like making a basic beat and some bass and a harmony and just soloing over that, but I haven't really found many presets to get the sort of soundscape that I want.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I have been trying to make guitar sounds in FL Studio 10 for a while, and nothing seems to get me what I want. I have tried using FLslayer since it is the only thing that gets me guitar sounds to begin with, but it seems to lack....something.

To be specific, I want to imitate the guitar here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOaRNFsCPoY&t=233s

I guess it might help to say that I know very little about making music and have only been at it for a short time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I am the M00N posted:

I have been trying to make guitar sounds in FL Studio 10 for a while, and nothing seems to get me what I want. I have tried using FLslayer since it is the only thing that gets me guitar sounds to begin with, but it seems to lack....something.
If you have something that produces decent clean guitar sounds (maybe Slayer's better at this or you've got some samplebank), you can throw some decent amp simulators over it yourself. Here are some good free ones.

That's probably not much help, but then I haven't touched a guitar in my life. It does give you a lot more control over the sound, but then you still have to be able to emulate actual guitar playing in midi. Some chopped up powerchords should be doable, though.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Does anyone have suggestions about how to achieve the filtered drum sound on Wise Up by Aimee Mann?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_goEernujW8

I can get something similar by putting a bitcrusher and hi-pass filter on a drum machine but I'm wondering if anyone has any bright ideas for other approaches.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

I am the M00N posted:

To be specific, I want to imitate the guitar here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOaRNFsCPoY&t=233s

I guess it might help to say that I know very little about making music and have only been at it for a short time.

Buy a guitar. No, seriously, it is easier to actually learn to play a guitar than to try and make a good imitation of one using only synthesizers/samplers. A large part of the way guitars sound is dependent on the techniques they are played with, techniques and skills that do not even remotely apply to keys-based instruments.

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012
The last advice I got was spot on, I was able to amateurishly recreate a decent saw pad. I have another sound I am wondering how to create, it's a nice smooth synth used to create a chord progression in this song: https://soundcloud.com/fwdslxsh/with-you

It comes in around the 41 second mark. What waves would make that sound up? It sounds really pleasant and smooth, not very harsh.

I am going to guess that perhaps there is an envelope connected to a filter which gradually lets higher frequencies pass the longer the sound is held, and an envelope on the amp that makes it slowly get louder, but other than that I'm not sure.

Thanks!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
That's basically right. The oscillator is likely a saw as well, with maybe some slight detuning. Filter envelope should have a slow attack to give it that opening/evolving feeling, but it never quite opens up all the way as its rather smooth. There's a similar, but subtler thing going on with the volume envelope. Give it some medium amount of resonance on the filter. I'm listening on my phone but I may hear a slight phaser or some other effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

That's basically right. The oscillator is likely a saw as well, with maybe some slight detuning. Filter envelope should have a slow attack to give it that opening/evolving feeling, but it never quite opens up all the way as its rather smooth. There's a similar, but subtler thing going on with the volume envelope. Give it some medium amount of resonance on the filter. I'm listening on my phone but I may hear a slight phaser or some other effect?

Regarding the possibility of a phaser effect I can't remember exactly how it sounds now, I'm at work and my computer here doesn't have any audio. When I get home I'll try recreating the sound. This sort of sound will be challenging to me, I have had some luck making some basic synths with saw waves but I haven't really been able to chisel away at a saw enough to make such a pleasant tone.

I'll give it a go and try fiddling and see what I can come up with. When I listen to that sort of music I always wonder how they can get such nice sounding synths from a harsh saw wave!

E: I played around with the Zebra2 synthesizer and got some really deep and lush sounding synth pads from saw waves just from fiddling around. I need to dig a bit deeper and see how I can replicate the effects with other synthesizers now.

CharlesDexterWard fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 2, 2013

• Locked thread