Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I definitely hope it's another DVD set. Being on netflix doesn't mean anything to those of us outside the US.

e: Actually I just wiki'd them and apparently they are in a few other countries too. Just not mine :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

bpc908 posted:

I don't think that would warrant a big announcement. It better be a new DVD set
Why would you say that? That would be pretty huge in terms of exposure and recognition.
I don't think there's a whole lot of Japanese shows on netflix (or other big streamers).

Xik posted:

I definitely hope it's another DVD set. Being on netflix doesn't mean anything to those of us outside the US.

e: Actually I just wiki'd them and apparently they are in a few other countries too. Just not mine :(

Yeah, but it's pretty poo poo anywhere but the US. The selection is terrible.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
Yeah, the netflix/streaming idea seems far more plausible. I'm just curious as to what we could get for episodes over here at this point, since it seems that we may not be able to get stuff from Capcom or Nintendo or even Konami now, for that matter.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Netflix seems unlikely, but something like Crunchyroll would make tons of sense. Besides anime I know they do live action Japanese and Korean shows so it's not without precedent.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

Netflix seems unlikely, but something like Crunchyroll would make tons of sense. Besides anime I know they do live action Japanese and Korean shows so it's not without precedent.

That would finally give me an excuse to buy Crunchyroll, but I think everyone in the FB page shouted out netflix when they asked which streaming service should they use.

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
well... I have netflix and do not own the DVD´s,so for me that would be excellent news :)

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I hope it's not Netflix or any other streaming service, to be honest-- I intend to buy the DVDs at some point but I can't afford the $20 or so a month it'd take to bump up my connection to be able to handle streaming at any decent resolution.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Davzz posted:

I sure hope you come back and see this at some point, but Playasia is selling those and I think they ship overseas. I believe most people here can vouch for their reputation and I import games from them once in a while.

http://www.play-asia.com/Final_Fantasy_25th_Memorial_Ultimania_Vol.1/paOS-13-71-lu-49-en-70-5pk5.html
http://www.play-asia.com/Final_Fantasy_25th_Memorial_Ultimania_Vol.2/paOS-13-71-lu-49-en-70-5pk7.html
http://www.play-asia.com/Final_Fantasy_25th_Memorial_Ultimania_Vol.3/paOS-13-71-lu-49-en-70-5pk9.html

It's still not cheap (I think it's MSRB + import tax markup) and shipping prices is probably going to kill you though... but probably more reasonable than what EBay is asking for it, I assume.

(Personally, I live in Asia and got them through a speciality shop and it still isn't cheap for me)

From a few pages back, but thanks for this

Also... gently caress. That's too much money to spend on FAN GOODSU

Maybe I'll dig around for some junk of my own to sell off to fund it though, that way I can justify it as exchanging one form of wasted money for another :v: I have closets full of nerd joy that I no longer need or care about.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Yoiko is hosting some kind of behind-the-scenes TV special about Wreck-It Ralph (called "Sugar Rush" in Japan).

http://www.disney.co.jp/sugar-rush/news/detail.html?p=19004

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

zari-gani posted:

Yoiko is hosting some kind of behind-the-scenes TV special about Wreck-It Ralph (called "Sugar Rush" in Japan).

I would not be surprised if Arino does commentary on the DVD release of it when it comes out

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I thought that came out in Japan a while ago. Strange that they're airing a TV special on it now. Maybe the DVD is coming out...

While I'm posting, I want to mention that there's some extremely text heavy episodes in the works right now so it's probably going to be a little while before the next release.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I thought that came out in Japan a while ago. Strange that they're airing a TV special on it now. Maybe the DVD is coming out...

While I'm posting, I want to mention that there's some extremely text heavy episodes in the works right now so it's probably going to be a little while before the next release.

The movie premieres March 23 in Japan

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

zari-gani posted:

Wreck-It Ralph (called "Sugar Rush" in Japan).

This is almost too funny to be true.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Ő_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Ő

zari-gani posted:

I guess it's not a big surprise since in the newest episode of GCCX (Space Hunter), Arino went to Disney's Japan HQ where he talked to some guy who worked there (I assume he's either a big-wig at Disney Japan or he was one of the head translators for the movie). He even got to play an actual Fix-It Felix cabinet that Disney sent out to different places to promote the movie.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If you haven't seen that movie, do so! It's Fun For the Whole Family! (Seriously, you can bring your gf/wife/kids and they'll all have a good time, or you can watch it with some gaming nerds and laugh at all the references).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

xamphear posted:

This is almost too funny to be true.

It's completely true. Keep in mind that the J-Pop band AKB48 sung the Sugar Rush theme so they're probably banking on that to attract attention.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

To be fair, that poster/title is totally accurate to the amount of time and effort that movie spends on Sugar Rush. Zangief, Robotnik and Sonic et al. in the corner there almost going "hey guys were in it too!" is pretty hilarious.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

For someone who actually plays video games that movie looks like the worst. Sort of how real nerds don't like the Big Bang theory.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

For someone who actually plays video games that movie looks like the worst. Sort of how real nerds don't like the Big Bang theory.

it's actually a really good movie

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

It's completely true. Keep in mind that the J-Pop band AKB48 sung the Sugar Rush theme so they're probably banking on that to attract attention.
Oh, okay, there we go. That makes sense, then; I love learning about the extranational localizations of movies. I was somewhat perplexed about why they'd call it Sugar Rush instead, and there you go; I was all "Well Japan retitled HTTYD to 'Hiccup & Toothless,'" but even that one has an... I guess you could call it an etymology since they were trying to mirror the title structure of Lilo and Stitch and selling it on having the same director.

Mister Chief posted:

It's absolutely great, there's some minor references here and there with one major atmospheric borrowing, but it's basically a Pixar Movie made by Disney that happens to have a couple video game characters in it. I do, however, recall it having been very disappointing to certain vocal dickbags who went to the theater expecting it to be a memefest of nintendos, so you kinda have a point there.

To relate it to the thread, basically it's like how GCCX is about "a middle-aged man playing video games" rather than "video games being played by a middle aged man."

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 16, 2013

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

bpc908 posted:

it's actually a really good movie

It's a good movie, but the product placement is shameless, even ignoring all the video game stuff.

GET IT? IT'S NESQUIK SAND!

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Silentman0 posted:

It's a good movie, but the product placement is shameless, even ignoring all the video game stuff.

GET IT? IT'S NESQUIK SAND!

It's a pun. Wordplay. Like quicksand, you see. All the "product placement" in the movie is played for jokes Mentos and diet cola explosions? Actually that's about it, asides from a cameo for a Japanese bakery chain. So that's... three in the whole movie? Yes, truly shameless, gently caress what a bunch of monsters trying to push Mentos on children.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
And the Oreos that appear for roughly 5 seconds.

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

Chibs posted:

It's a pun. Wordplay. Like quicksand, you see. All the "product placement" in the movie is played for jokes Mentos and diet cola explosions? Actually that's about it, asides from a cameo for a Japanese bakery chain. So that's... three in the whole movie? Yes, truly shameless, gently caress what a bunch of monsters trying to push Mentos on children.

We don't need our kids getting fresh thank you very much :colbert:

Also I just got around to watching the WiiU fire emblem special, and it was surprisingly climactic!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

The White Dragon posted:

It's absolutely great, there's some minor references here and there with one major atmospheric borrowing, but it's basically a Pixar Movie made by Disney that happens to have a couple video game characters in it. I do, however, recall it having been very disappointing to certain vocal dickbags who went to the theater expecting it to be a memefest of nintendos, so you kinda have a point there.

To relate it to the thread, basically it's like how GCCX is about "a middle-aged man playing video games" rather than "video games being played by a middle aged man."
I don't understand those vocal dickbags because me and three guys who went were four vocal squealfans who giggled at every subtle thing, and laughed at every BIG thing.

...that movie was everything I ever wanted. :3: nothing is taking that from me.

So okay yeah I HAVE to hear Arino talk about Wreck-It Ralph NOW.

Obeast posted:

I guess it's not a big surprise since in the newest episode of GCCX (Space Hunter), Arino went to Disney's Japan HQ where he talked to some guy who worked there (I assume he's either a big-wig at Disney Japan or he was one of the head translators for the movie). He even got to play an actual Fix-It Felix cabinet that Disney sent out to different places to promote the movie.
:aaaaa:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mister Chief posted:

"Real nerds" don't like Big Bang Theory, but nobody with any taste likes Big Bang Theory either, because Big Bang Theory is as close as you can get to objectively unfunny. It's a giant pile of festering turds with the sole redeeming feature of revealing how terrible nerds are by inviting them to make the comparison to blackface.

Wreck-it Ralph, on the other hand, is a cute, funny, and well-written movie that I could actually go on about for some length, but suffice it to say that it's certainly worth renting from your outlet of choice and having a view. I say that as someone who can't even THINK of getting into the Scott Pilgrim series because I feel intensely uncomfortable when I'm being pandered directly to.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Wreck-it Ralph owns and it's definitely worth a watch. It isn't "game reference: the movie" and what references there are aren't groan worthy. Even the rest of the product placement was the Good Kind, where its actually incorporated into jokes, and not all the main characters all drinking sprite in every scene with the logos all strangely facing the camera.

It is a well written and well acted movie. Go rent it

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I got a Famicom power pad, and due to the show, I knew one game I needed to get was Takeshi's Castle. Now I wanna rewatch the episode and see if I can beat it too. Maybe study arino's technique.

e: Arino using the Power Pad with his shoes on. oof. the poor mat.

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 16, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My friend joked that the posters for Wreck-it-Ralph were so shamelessly misleading to get those nerd views that it might as well have one that's just a poster of Sonic with the title of the movie. Imagine the anger of your hardcore Sonic fan when he finds out he's been tricked into seeing something that isn't awful or embarassing at all.

Manfrey
Sep 18, 2006

Frying high
Feering good

Lurdiak posted:

My friend joked that the posters for Wreck-it-Ralph were so shamelessly misleading to get those nerd views that it might as well have one that's just a poster of Sonic with the title of the movie. Imagine the anger of your hardcore Sonic fan when he finds out he's been tricked into seeing something that isn't awful or embarassing at all.

You mean like this?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Manfrey posted:

You mean like this?

Wait. Is that real? But...

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Wait. Is that real? But...

I've seen more of this poster than the one with Ralph on it.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Heatwizard posted:

I've seen more of this poster than the one with Ralph on it.

that's kinda hosed up.

For those that haven't seen it, sonic is in the movie for literally 3 seconds. He says one line in the background of a shot.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Heti posted:

that's kinda hosed up.

For those that haven't seen it, sonic is in the movie for literally 3 seconds. He says one line in the background of a shot.

Well he's also in the ending for about three more seconds, but pretty much this. Like, they'd seriously be better off making posters with Q*bert or Zangief on them if they were more honest, and neither of them were in it that much either.

I really want to see Arino talkin about this movie though :3:

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012
Speaking of product placement in Wreck-It Ralph. Oreo O O oreo O O heh. It doubles as a Wizard of Oz Reference.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FinalGamer posted:

Fix-It Felix Jr. cab

:aaaaa:

Someone sold the one they had on eBay a few months back for I think $7,500. Disney made something like 12 of them, I guess at least one made it to Japan (or they made a new batch for that market).

The White Dragon posted:

Oh, okay, there we go. That makes sense, then; I love learning about the extranational localizations of movies.

Movie titles are my litmus test to find out how much the localization team gave a poo poo about what they were doing, especially when the title employs a play on words of some kind or some kind of reference to an expression or other things; a good translation can bring new layers and perspective and, when it's done well, leaves me feeling like I had a richer overall experience. It's a similar kick to watching a movie with a good commentary in some cases. I try to watch translations I can understand as much as possible, especially if the movie/TV Show/Video game is originally in a language I don't understand, since different translations can have different perspectives on particular things (or it can clue you in that one of the translations is based off the other and a weaker 2nd+ generation translation). Japan is really big on referencing Japanese media as much as possible; Napoleon Dynamite was called "Bus Otoko" to capitalize on the recent popularity of "Densha Otoko" at the time, earlier in this thread (or maybe the previous one, it was a while ago) we had a conversation about "My Neighbor Seinfeld".

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
There's a fix-it-felix ios game too. It's pretty much identical to the game in the movie and I think it's free if you want to try it.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Heti posted:

There's a fix-it-felix ios game too. It's pretty much identical to the game in the movie and I think it's free if you want to try it.

You can play Fix-It-Felix Jr here: http://disney.go.com/games/play3/?content=2006061#/games/play3/&content=2006061
It's the same as the iOS game and the same as the arcade cabinet.

We actually got one of the cabinets at my place of work for a few weeks while the movie was out. They essentially took old Donkey Kong cabinets and fit them with new graphics and a PC (likely running a variation of the flash game). They even had spider-webbing on the acrylic over the controls, dings that made the thing look like had spent 30 years in service, and ripped up old repair stickers. They are awesome little marketing gadgets and I actually played ours a quite a bit because it was super addicting.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

More Wreck-it Ralph chat: They made a really cool DVD special feature that was for some reason not put on the DVD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXdTecBRYq4

It owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
That was awesome.

Seith posted:

I just realized that fellow goon xamphear was the kind gentleman responsible for doing a huge chunk of the work on GCCX's entry over at TheTVDB. I am especially grateful for his work over there as it is the source from which my Home Theater PC pulls all of its info/posters/banners for the show from. Thanks, xamphear!

I just added season 17 (empty for now, since all we know is that episode 1 is going to be a Disney game). Also uploaded my matching coverart image for it. I actually created coverarts up through season 20. I figured why not be optimistic about it.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 17, 2013