Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Goddamn sculpting is hard. I knew it wasn't easy but... good grief! I thought I'd just make to body shapes, but even my attempt to make a teddy bear frame (less precise and shapely than a human) did not turn out well at all.

I told my housemate I'd made some starfish instead of admitting what I was actually going for :<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I built a moonscape table that I am actually pretty happy with.

As you can see some of the terrain I have works on it and other pieces that don't really. I am wondering if people have any advice on how to create some terrain pieces that would not be out of place on a barren planet that aren't just hills.

One thing I was thinking about but unsure how to execute is "crystal forests" that could function mechanically like woods and forests do. I could sculpt them out of pink foam but I have a feeling they would come out looking really cheesy and fake.

The other thing I was thinking about was geysers but once again not really sure how I would go about it.

I have Hirst art cave molds and I think I could make something interesting with them, but that requires a lot work for something that really wouldn't be that big.

I also haven't really been able to think of anything that could function as a ruin or building, I kind of like the idea of a barren moon where life has never existed, so building make little sense.

Any advice or ideas are welcome
What about some 'mobile' buildings that could have been dropped in from orbit? Think of the prefab mobile office buildings that come on the back of a truck. They are inherently modular (so are perfect for re-arranging between games) and won't look out of place since they are designed to be dropped off on whatever planet a force is setting up on.
If you've played Planetside 2 recently, a lot of their bases are a bit like this:

Edit: Also, shipping containers that spilled out from a crashed ship?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JesusIsTehCool posted:

One thing I was thinking about but unsure how to execute is "crystal forests" that could function mechanically like woods and forests do. I could sculpt them out of pink foam but I have a feeling they would come out looking really cheesy and fake.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=13336

They have giant crystals available, in various colors. They used to have a blue set but I guess they don't make them anymore.

In addition, some craters would look great for a moon table, for obvious reasons.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Lethemonster posted:

Goddamn sculpting is hard. I knew it wasn't easy but... good grief! I thought I'd just make to body shapes, but even my attempt to make a teddy bear frame (less precise and shapely than a human) did not turn out well at all.

I told my housemate I'd made some starfish instead of admitting what I was actually going for :<

Start with an armature. Add a layer to solidify it. Then start adding layers to build up your shape. Show some pics I might be able to help in more specific detail.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just finished some Everblight.

The skin came out a little more... Smurfy, than I was going for, but still looks pretty good. Also the bases are wrong - but they're for someone who doesn't play and I couldn't find that thorny tentacle base in 30mm, so... Oh well.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Hellbeard posted:

Start with an armature. Add a layer to solidify it. Then start adding layers to build up your shape. Show some pics I might be able to help in more specific detail.

Oh I've got plenty of resources to work with and from. It's just sitting down and actually trying it its nothing like I imagined. I have tiny creepy armatures all over the living room.

Maybe if I deliberately try and make a starfish I'll end up with a human...

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Cross post from the warmachine thread.

First attempt at two brush blending, I quite like how it turned out so far.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Lethemonster posted:

Oh I've got plenty of resources to work with and from. It's just sitting down and actually trying it its nothing like I imagined. I have tiny creepy armatures all over the living room.

Maybe if I deliberately try and make a starfish I'll end up with a human...

Well you went from newbie to Bachtere painter in what, two years?
Give it time, I'm sure you'll make me doubt my choice in hobbies again soon enough.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

For various expense related reasons it costs too much to mail outside the US. It really sucks, I'm sorry.

Due to extreme amounts of replies, I'm going to increase the number of free stuff packs I'm sending out to 25

I sent you an email back when you posted this but never got a reply. Was I too late? It's OK if I was, I mean, you have to limit how much free stuff you're giving away, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Manifest posted:

Well you went from newbie to Bachtere painter in what, two years?
Give it time, I'm sure you'll make me doubt my choice in hobbies again soon enough.

Aww shucks you guys.

I've actually just been eating bits of Bachtere's hair and sucking on his paint brushes. But don't tell him that.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lethemonster posted:

Yeah man. If you look back in this thread there are posts with me griping and bitching about how horrible sculpting is. The learning curve is steep, but you'll get better over time. Just keep at it and don't get discouraged.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So a bunch of old stuff came into the gameshop this week and was being sold for very cheap, but everything was covered in this awful metal spray paint. I usually use Simple Green, but someone suggested something they found called Dawn Power Dissolver. Holy poo poo this stuff works miracles on poo poo paint jobs you need to strip. I am stripping these things completely in 10 loving minutes! You don't have to wait for stuff to soak for days or a week, the poo poo strips stuff off so fast. The only downside I've hear is if you forget and leave in for a few days, it breaks down the glue too.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Khorne Flakes posted:

So a bunch of old stuff came into the gameshop this week and was being sold for very cheap, but everything was covered in this awful metal spray paint. I usually use Simple Green, but someone suggested something they found called Dawn Power Dissolver. Holy poo poo this stuff works miracles on poo poo paint jobs you need to strip. I am stripping these things completely in 10 loving minutes! You don't have to wait for stuff to soak for days or a week, the poo poo strips stuff off so fast. The only downside I've hear is if you forget and leave in for a few days, it breaks down the glue too.

How does it handle plastics, resin and sealer?

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Found this on a forum:

I dont know what it is but I must buy it when it comes on sale.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
^^^^^^That's capricious and awesome. I love it. Edit: also, masterfully sculpted. That's like, super good.

Added sleeve, shoulder pad (to be shaved) and some barrel shroud which needs to be improved.

I also completed some FOW units - 2 PAK40+command and American command.

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 16, 2013

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

How does it handle plastics, resin and sealer?

Don't know, just tried it out. It did just completely strip probably a decade old coat of metal spray paint in about 30 minutes.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Found this on a forum:

I dont know what it is but I must buy it when it comes on sale.

From a company called Legendarion.

There is a thread up on Dakka: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/441038.page

Cool looking models, though it seems there is a bit of direct IP theft going on, if the later pages of the Dakka thread are true.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Just put the airbrush away after my first experiments with it. I only primed (Vallejo grey airbrush primer) a handful of things, no colours yet because I still have all my paints in flip top pots and I didn't want to get ahead of myself.

It's awesome and I'm feeling pretty comfortable with it. My compressor came with a regulator that outputs between 35 and 50 PSI which I believe is a little too much if I want to go for fine detail stuff further down the line, but it'll be great for now.

I bought some airbrush cleaner as well, used it to get some of the goop off the nozzle and paint reservoir, and blasted a capful of it through the brush.

Exciting times! Looking forward to doing more.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Leperflesh posted:

I sent you an email back when you posted this but never got a reply. Was I too late? It's OK if I was, I mean, you have to limit how much free stuff you're giving away, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Sorry, I was thought I made it clear that you were getting stuff when I put your name on the list I posted earlier.
I should be emailing everyone back by the end of the week but I somehow managed to get my Paypal account messed up and I am trying to deal with that.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
WIP shot of my Nurgle/Metal sorcerer, Andrej the Rusted.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Wow, that is awesome. I love the dripping gold offal.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finished the first five of many Seekers of Slaanesh (minus basing):

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Those Seekers are pretty cool!

I took some better photos of the FOW units I completed:

Forgot to drybrush the rock there...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I fired off an email to these people but I was wondering if I might get a faster response here. Everywhere I can find Dark Age deep bases ( http://dark-age.com/shop/dark-age-warmachine-30mm-deep-bases-10.html ) it lists them at Deep Bases (10) but then in the description it says they come 3 to a pack. Anyone know if these are actually 10 for 3 dollars instead of 3 for 3 dollars? I'm in dire need of bases.

edit: Content. Just finished this guy!

I think I'm improving

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 17, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Sorry, I was thought I made it clear that you were getting stuff when I put your name on the list I posted earlier.
I should be emailing everyone back by the end of the week but I somehow managed to get my Paypal account messed up and I am trying to deal with that.

Ohhh, OK so, you listed eight people, of the 25 packs you mentioned doing, because you're just sending eight to begin with and more will come later. I get it!

BTW I don't know about other people but I'd be happy to pay the cost of shipping, considering you're sending free stuff to try out. This is definitely not a bribe to try and get my name higher up on the list.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I am very very close to being finished on the Stormlord now. It's been totally fun and it's the first model I've done since my little boy turned up 7 months ago and time has been short with it.

I've added the KRIEG to the rear compartment to add detail and colour contrast and have added pigments to mainly the tracks and lower hull. This has only just been sealed so doesn't quite show up right and is glossy, but I'll give it two days to dry off and then I will touch up and try to take some better final shots.

I'm well in the mood for starting some more GW IG models to continue after this and to continue taking a break from historicals so if anyone can recommend a good kit then I'm all ears.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Leperflesh posted:

Ohhh, OK so, you listed eight people, of the 25 packs you mentioned doing, because you're just sending eight to begin with and more will come later. I get it!

BTW I don't know about other people but I'd be happy to pay the cost of shipping, considering you're sending free stuff to try out. This is definitely not a bribe to try and get my name higher up on the list.

I'm gonna end up sending it all out about the same time in a week or so in which case you'll get an email. Mainly I'm now waiting on stuff from our supplier who was unable to give us more than a third of our required order last time because they were low on stock. Once we get that stuff in we can finish off the making the full amount of dirt mix and then start mailing things.

Our only real issue is that our suppliers are really nice folks but they dont operate on a really expedient time scale since the stuff they deal is being purchased fair trade from overseas and sometimes it can take a while to get things from the forests of Bolivia and such.

I'm also going to post an updated list later today of all the people I'm shipping to.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

I've added the right shoulder plate and lowered the carrying handle by something like half a millimeter. Now the area around it looks a little mushy, I'll shave and sand it flat (I hope). The assault handle broke off- if I decide I want to keep them I'll add reinforcement to the next one.

I also update the backpack and added a knife in a sheath.

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 17, 2013

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I am finally biting the bullet and opening my iwata Eclipse HP-CS. It is babby's first airbrush and I'm scared I'm going to gently caress something up horribly. I read the excellent post linked in the OP and watched some tutorials online, but I'd appreciate hearing any last minute pro-tips or things to specifically avoid.

Going to start by base-coating a drop pod tomorrow evening with GW paints, hopefully that is simple enough to keep me out of trouble.

e: I will be using it with an iwata compressor.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kaysette posted:

I am finally biting the bullet and opening my iwata Eclipse HP-CS. It is babby's first airbrush and I'm scared I'm going to gently caress something up horribly. I read the excellent post linked in the OP and watched some tutorials online, but I'd appreciate hearing any last minute pro-tips or things to specifically avoid.

Going to start by base-coating a drop pod tomorrow evening with GW paints, hopefully that is simple enough to keep me out of trouble.

I've been using a bad airbrush for about a month and a sotar 2020 for a few days. So my experience ain't much but here's what i can tell you.

1- That needle is fragile. Don't gently caress up the tip.
2- Clean it every time you use it, at least by running water through it or something. If it clogs, you can pull the needle back and blow into a paper towel to push air up into the feed.
3- Get very familiar with how thin your paint needs to be. Too thin and you'll get lovely opacity, too thick and you'll clog.
4- Mind your PSI.
5- Don't be afraid of it. You can always buy a replacement needle and you can always clean it. Minis can be stripped. Have fun with it!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kaysette posted:

Know how to take the thing apart, but also realize that you almost never need to. After each color and every ten minutes or so of use, run some airbrush cleaner (or windex) through it until it runs clear. If you do that, you should not need to takeit apart and clean the components almost ever.

The other suggestions are all good too. Watching the hour long Badger airbrush presentation that has been linked in here is also a great idea. It's long but it will answer literally every question you have regarding how to use your airbrush, even if it isn't a Badger.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I built a moonscape table that I am actually pretty happy with.

I also haven't really been able to think of anything that could function as a ruin or building, I kind of like the idea of a barren moon where life has never existed, so building make little sense.

Any advice or ideas are welcome

My idea would be functioning or ruined mining equipment.

Every planet needs to be picked clean of all those precious space rocks. Drill baby drill!

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Deanut Pancer posted:

What about some 'mobile' buildings that could have been dropped in from orbit? Think of the prefab mobile office buildings that come on the back of a truck. They are inherently modular (so are perfect for re-arranging between games) and won't look out of place since they are designed to be dropped off on whatever planet a force is setting up on.
If you've played Planetside 2 recently, a lot of their bases are a bit like this:

Edit: Also, shipping containers that spilled out from a crashed ship?

WhiteOutMouse posted:

My idea would be functioning or ruined mining equipment.

Every planet needs to be picked clean of all those precious space rocks. Drill baby drill!

I think I might try and combine these two ideas. I found this album: https://picasaweb.google.com/inqusitor1 which has some mining themed terrain. One piece I really like was the tripod mining drill. I am thinking about using that as a jumping off point, them maybe adding some buildings with similar looking legs.

Thanks for the suggestion everyone.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Crosspost from the Specialist Games thread:

As promised - 15mm Warmaster Chaos Army closeups, now in Technicolor!

The army general (I didn't paint this guy, but I'm showing it out of completeness.)

Ogres

Chaos Knights

Chaos Warriors

Mounted Marauders

Chaos Marauders (again, I didn't paint the Marauders)

Harpies (don't look kids - they're nekkid!)

Chaos Hounds

Chaos Sorcerer

Chaos Hero

Hero and Standard Bearer

I'm pretty happy with them. In retrospect, I may have been a little heavy-handed with the flock, but I couldn't match the flock that was on the completed stands, so I had to add new stuff to the old. I'll have to go back to the Ogres at some point and do their eyes. They're large models and, while not easily noticeable on the models in real life, the photos really highlight the lack of peepers on those guys.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Managed to get the entirety of my Heldrake model finished yesterday. So much work and agonizing over lining. Never again.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kommando posted:

I can ask.
Please do - I am interested as well, assuming the price is right. I'm always on the lookout for good Epic buildings.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

PierreTheMime posted:

Managed to get the entirety of my Heldrake model finished yesterday. So much work and agonizing over lining. Never again.

Well, it looks amazing. It seems like it was worth the time spent.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Vallejo! (sounds especially cheery if you say it with the proper Spanish pronunciation and in a 'viva fiesta!!' way)

Yeah, thanks, that was pretty awesome :) Bascially just plug and play.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I want to sculpt silly stuff, like Beartato and the characters from Batman the Animated series. Maybe even a Battato. Is this going to be like with drawing where people don't learn to draw realistically and just jump straight into anime and then spend the rest of their life drawing boggle-eyed cyclops' with no hope of unlearning the poo poo they have built up? I'm having to spend ages sculpting realistic things if jumping straight into the cartoony stuff will cripple me long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Lethemonster posted:

I want to sculpt silly stuff, like Beartato and the characters from Batman the Animated series. Maybe even a Battato. Is this going to be like with drawing where people don't learn to draw realistically and just jump straight into anime and then spend the rest of their life drawing boggle-eyed cyclops' with no hope of unlearning the poo poo they have built up? I'm having to spend ages sculpting realistic things if jumping straight into the cartoony stuff will cripple me long term.

Without having any experience drawing or sculpting, then I can say that you can throw that mentality right out the window. Those kind of people are stagnant because they choose so - because of laziness and lack of discipline. Start doing something that you like and are interested in. Then just keep trying to do a little better than last time. That's how you get good.

At first I misread your post and thought you were going to make models from Baman and Piderman. I'd love to see that(but the Animated series would be incredible too)!

• Locked thread