Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm going to say it again, even in vanilla you'll have an easier time budgetwise if you rush for HT. Large low income populations are the hardest to manage while $$$ cities are easiest. But yes, do build out a lot. A well budgeted high school helps with this rushing, so I'd recommend building it and just keeping its budget down to minimum. Same with libraries and museums. Plus, they seem to help with getting the university, which will allow you to build full HT industry cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Finally got some time to get back into this and got the old-fashioned pack from the OP rather than trying to figure out what the hell I had installed on my game before. Is there a building that helps with air pollution in one of the mods in the pack? I thought I saw something just going through random tabs but forget where it was now and whether it was for air or water.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

VDay posted:

Finally got some time to get back into this and got the old-fashioned pack from the OP rather than trying to figure out what the hell I had installed on my game before. Is there a building that helps with air pollution in one of the mods in the pack? I thought I saw something just going through random tabs but forget where it was now and whether it was for air or water.

I found an air filter at one point but I can't find it anymore.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

VDay posted:

Here. Water purification plants are built-in the game.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Will my citizens hate me if I eminent domain their houses to build avenues and highways?

No. In fact it's pretty much guaranteed that you'll be tearing stuff up and putting in new things at some point during the game, if not frequently. Sims won't mind, don't loose any sleep over it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Am I missing something, or are more buildings in the old fashioned packs supposed to have night lights?

Because as it stands, it seems the only buildings that light up at night are the city hall and the farmers market. I thought I installed the BAT patch I was reading about, but... not sure what's up.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
For people having stability issues, I seem to have a combination of stuff that works for me:

- Old Fashioned Pack
- Non- Plugin Fhuzo
- SC4 Launcher
- Deleted the shortcut modifications just in case

Still runs like molasses but it hasn't crashed on me yet.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Super Waffle posted:

For people having stability issues, I seem to have a combination of stuff that works for me:

- Old Fashioned Pack
- Non- Plugin Fhuzo
- SC4 Launcher
- Deleted the shortcut modifications just in case

Still runs like molasses but it hasn't crashed on me yet.

I had tons of crashes when starting out but those were all caused by a plugin rendered map. I've now played about 20 hours without any crashes with KillHour pack, non-plugin Fhuzo and the appropriate launching options in Steam.

Currently I got 3 suffering miserable agricultural cities. I was thinking of making a couple more and then maybe doing a big polluting dense/dirty industrial one. In my third city I noticed that I don't think my sims are miserable enough because they wouldn't move into 1-slot low-density residential areas, but ate up the two slotters like hotcakes. I'm going to cut out water if this keeps up. As my wise rolemodel, Irenicus, once said; "YOU WILL SUFFER, YOU WILL ALL SUFFER!" :mad:

Fewd fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 18, 2013

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I've had trouble with Fhuzo as well, most notably when doing anything near the edges/corners. My last city had this 4x6 area near the southwest corner that would instantly crash the game if I put down any road or zoned in it. Gonna try the non plugin version tomorrow.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
Restarted a region after reading the thread.

Avoiding looping commuters make such an insane impact on traffic. I used to get huge jams between cities that never resolved. Now I only get.. minor jams. The sims sure do love going across the borders on borders looking for work. Even when there is none, ugh.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

For those asking if you can combine the three modpacks, I can report that mostly the answer seems to be yes. The two big issues are:

A) Holy load times Batman! Seriously start up SC4, go get a drink or something to relax with, come back, choose your city tile, go take a leak, come back, wait some more, then play.
B) Some of the icons, especially in the tree and transport menus, get duplicated. Doesn't seem to be a big problem, just makes the menus bigger for scrolling through.

There's probably all sorts of under the hood stuff that's getting horrifically broken by this setup but whatever, I don't care!

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I'm having issues with the OldFashioned pack as well.

Game starts just fine, but it crashes when it tries to load into a city plot.

I've removed terrainmods in EverythingElse and the Terrain Stuff folder, and I've tried the various fixes of configurations like 1 Cpu, forcing software mode, and that SimCity Launcher linked a few pages back, but nothing seems to work. I've only added the OldFashionedPack stuff and nothing else.

It works just fine when I ran it vanilla before. I'm gonna try replacing Oldfashioned with Killhour's stuff once it finishes dling, but anyone have any idea?

edit: Killhour's pack seems to start just fine. I wonder what I did wrong with Oldfashioned

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 18, 2013

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

ImPureAwesome posted:

I've removed terrainmods in EverythingElse and the Terrain Stuff folder, and I've tried the various fixes of configurations like 1 Cpu, forcing software mode, and that SimCity Launcher linked a few pages back, but nothing seems to work. I've only added the OldFashionedPack stuff and nothing else.

It works just fine when I ran it vanilla before. I'm gonna try replacing Oldfashioned with Killhour's stuff once it finishes dling, but anyone have any idea?

edit: Killhour's pack seems to start just fine. I wonder what I did wrong with Oldfashioned

This was happening to me too. For me, I had to run it in hardware mode to get into a city tile. The start screen and overview were flashing in hardware mode but once I got to city view it was OK.

The best thing you can do though is install the launcher from the simtropilis website in the OP. It fixed all my video problems.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

ImPureAwesome posted:

Yeah, I ended up just giving up on Old Fashioned.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

My Sims refuse to drive a few blocks to get to work, but they're fine with getting on the subway, riding that half way across town to the train station, riding the train through an entire large city tile, and then walking from the station half a mile to get to a farm.

Well, whatever works I suppose.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
For my first city, I'm building everything just on that one map and don't really plan on expanding anywhere else in the region. I picked New York for this and I'm realizing that it is depressingly flat after seeing Fhuzo. I'm doing to build there next.

On another note, the CEO of EA stepped down today. I want to hope something will change and that the SimCity franchise will be rescued, but I feel that stance is a bit too optimistic.

Giggily posted:

My Sims refuse to drive a few blocks to get to work, but they're fine with getting on the subway, riding that half way across town to the train station, riding the train through an entire large city tile, and then walking from the station half a mile to get to a farm.

Well, whatever works I suppose.
Gas isn't cheap you know. :pseudo:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Does the Old Fashioned Pack include SPAM? And if not, is it worth downloading SPAM and adding it (or would that cause conflicts)?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Wait wait wait, you can apparently rig up a shared region for multiplayer via Dropbox or similar services in SC4? Does this really work? :aaa:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Wait wait wait, you can apparently rig up a shared region for multiplayer via Dropbox or similar services in SC4? Does this really work? :aaa:

There's a few shared region solutions. I remember about four or five years ago partaking in a game that was arranged via some web app that automatically took city saves and applied them to a centrally shared region. When starting up play, you download the latest region save from the site, and when you're done with a session, you upload your specific city file. It was pretty neat.

I assume Dropbox could streamline the process quite a bit.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Yes, let's do a goon region. The link talk about using sugarsync, but it seems easier than the Dr. Video Games' post.
Did anyone played the online region when the game was released?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Set up the dropbox folder and you can probably mklink /j to junction the folder into the sim city\region folder. Unless Dropbox uses some proprietary virtual folder system.

In theory it'd be easy and not take a lot of bandwidth.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Installed SC4, OldFashioned, and playing on Fhuzo. It's like a whole new game! I'm pretty excited about filling up some of the valleys with highways, agriculture, and small towns. Then I'll start building it up.

Also using this combo on XP SP3 compatibility mode seems stable. I just played for 3 hours and it hasn't crashed on me yet. Looks absolutely beautiful too.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Assuming I wanted to make my own modpack (I don't really like the sheer amount of stuff in them, especially since I'm not that good a SC4 player to begin with. I tend to get swamped.), apart from NAM and SPAM, anything else that's really good to have? Like, any good water/grass/plant texture stuff? The STEX is pretty bad to navigate I find.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Assuming I wanted to make my own modpack (I don't really like the sheer amount of stuff in them, especially since I'm not that good a SC4 player to begin with. I tend to get swamped.), apart from NAM and SPAM, anything else that's really good to have? Like, any good water/grass/plant texture stuff? The STEX is pretty bad to navigate I find.

Brigantine's water and sand mod are pretty nice, the Industrial Revolution mode, the matching grass mode. Are some I'd recommend and after playing and seeing you're missing something just a search on the STEX or LEX and it's probably there.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Two questions:

If I install the Gigapack on top of my newer copy of NAM, will poo poo get hosed up?

Will the Gigapack buildings automatically start populating my cities that are already in progress, or new cities only?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had to post just to express my undying gratitude for the modpack links. I tried to mod this poo poo myself beforehand and you aren't kidding when you say it's dependency hell. I was midway through signing up for a third website to get a master file that the file from the second website depends on so I could install the file from the first website :suicide: before I thought of checking out the forums.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I was curious about the Dropbox idea and did a quick experiment.

1) Set up a Dropbox account if you need to.
2)
code:
Example in Win7: mklink /j "C:\Users\[your login]\Documents\SimCity 4\Regions\London Dropbox" "C:\Users\[your Dropbox path]\sc4 - London"
3) Sort out who gets what regions, have Dropbox organizer send out invites as people claim regions.
4) Everyone start playing
5) Have tons of reconcile edge disasters if enough people join/regions are taken
6) Unnatural disasters!!!
7) Reset and repeat?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Andrigaar posted:

5) Have tons of reconcile edge disasters if enough people join/regions are taken

Oh, you'd have to do the major landscaping ahead of time, probably.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It would probably be smoothest if you do it SC2013 style, prepare the landscape and major roads for the region ahead of time. Except then all the cities have to be started/named ahead of time too.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

MikeJF posted:

Oh, you'd have to do the major landscaping ahead of time, probably.

That or just have no one touch the outer walls. But I just meant that building on the edges causes causes the smooth terrain to be flattened up or down from the neighbor. That and if anyone gets bored and spawns a volcano then saves, it'll show.

nielsm posted:

It would probably be smoothest if you do it SC2013 style, prepare the landscape and major roads for the region ahead of time. Except then all the cities have to be started/named ahead of time too.

Dunno how the thread intended to do this, but that sounds incredibly unfun. More like a paint-by-number watercolor than a silly social game of Sim City.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, don't do the roads ahead of time, that's overcontrolling. Although it'd be nice if everyone agreed to not deliberately cause the traffic loop bug.

Usually the regional terrain can handle the small difference caused by building flattening at the edges, but ah well. It's only like a few tiles anyway.

And yeah, maybe ban volcanoes along the sides.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

nielsm posted:

If you just terraform the terrain, you can save without starting a city. Even if you need to engage in some fuckery to get roads working, it would still be far easier than doing any terrain reconciliation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If using Dropbox, you'd also have to use the honor system on not intentionally loading up and loving with other peoples' cities. At least with that web based thing I mentioned, I seem to recall an account system, so you could only upload your own city to the main region save. Doesn't stop other forms of griefing, though. I can't find the page we used for the life of me. It was a goon-run game that fizzled out almost instantly like any goon-run thing, so maybe someone here remembers.

Dropbox is most probably a much better solution, though, just for ease of use.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I just downloaded the Old Fashioned pack. Do I need to drop each folder into my plugins folder individually? Or can I just drop the entire folder into it?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
I am for "SimCity 4: The Goon Experience".

I'd suggest naming either the city or the mayor after our account names so we know wtf. Whatever isn't the account name can be hilarious, of course.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

WMain00 posted:

I just downloaded the Old Fashioned pack. Do I need to drop each folder into my plugins folder individually? Or can I just drop the entire folder into it?

Entire folder worked for me.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
Won't people's cities be overwritten when people upload the region? For example, if 2 people download the region at 2:00 and one person plays until 3:00 and another plays on a different city until 4:00. Won't the version that gets uploaded at 4:00 over write the one uploaded at 3:00 with old data for all but the city that was worked on?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dropbox will sync the modified city files, not the whole region.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
oh ok, I just actually looked at the files, and each city has it's own file. I assumed the region was one save file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be up for it. Sounds fun. I recommend we use only the OldFashioned pack, though.

• Locked thread