Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Any plans to open [timg] tagged images in full in the browser or something similar? It wouldn't have to be full image but the thumbnail is too small for phone viewing, especially if it is a goon photoshop as there subtle details a lot of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Terminal Entropy posted:

Any plans to open [timg] tagged images in full in the browser or something similar? It wouldn't have to be full image but the thumbnail is too small for phone viewing, especially if it is a goon photoshop as there subtle details a lot of times.

Long pressing on the image should do this, no?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Never thought to do that.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just got an iPhone 5 and I can't seem to enable full screen viewing like I could on my old 4 (specifically looking to do this in landscape). I think it was a multi finger tap or something. I also don't know what the last version of the app was that I was using since I like never updated that phone. Is there any way to get full screen back?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I took it out at some point, and it's on the list for reimplementing, but for now you're stuck. Sorry!

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

is it possible for the app to automatically parse youtube links to add [video] tags around the link? as it is now it just tosses [url]. thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It is certainly possible, no idea when it'll happen though! I'll add it to the list.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How do you edit posts from within the app?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Hit the "..." Menu button on your post. If that doesn't work, log out and back in and give it another go.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

This page of the weed megathread in TCC crashes the app on my iPad 1.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

mlnhd posted:

This page of the weed megathread in TCC crashes the app on my iPad 1.

Does it crash immediately, or do you see some of the page before it crashes? Is it consistent, every time you open the thread? Does it work in Safari? Thanks for checking it out for me.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is the favourites tab fixed in the next release?

It's still hosed up in 1.10.2 (thought it might fix itself over time, but it hasn't).

Reordering just flat out doesn't work. I'm pretty sure I reported it when this version came out.

Edit: And some gif avatars still constantly flash black

Sorry if these are already fixed or due to be.

101 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 17, 2013

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

pokeyman posted:

Does it crash immediately, or do you see some of the page before it crashes? Is it consistent, every time you open the thread? Does it work in Safari? Thanks for checking it out for me.

It opens fine on my 5 so unless the Scripting for iPad is different I'm guessing its just a memory issue of the original iPad for such a gif heavy page?

(I can't really contribute on this I'm just wondering if I'm right or not)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Is the favourites tab fixed in the next release?

It's still hosed up in 1.10.2 (thought it might fix itself over time, but it hasn't).

Reordering just flat out doesn't work. I'm pretty sure I reported it when this version came out.

Edit: And some gif avatars still constantly flash black

Sorry if these are already fixed or due to be.

I'll fix the favorites thing. Not sure what to do about gifs though.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Just recently restored my phone and set up as new- now Awful quits as soon as I go to settings. I'm sad.

Edit: Fixed itself after I posted that. Cool cool cool.

1997 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 18, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'll make a note anyway and take a look!

awesomekittens
Jan 26, 2007
oh my god dinosaur
A way to refresh the posts that you've already loaded would be great. Sometimes on 4g pictures don't load and I have to mark the first post as read, go back to bookmarks, and click the thread again to see everything.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

awesomekittens posted:

A way to refresh the posts that you've already loaded would be great. Sometimes on 4g pictures don't load and I have to mark the first post as read, go back to bookmarks, and click the thread again to see everything.

You can reload the current page by tapping 'Page X of Y' then immediately hitting 'Jump to Page'.

There's also a setting 'Show Images'. If it's off, images are replaced with a link that shows the image when you tap it.

Do either of those help?

awesomekittens
Jan 26, 2007
oh my god dinosaur

pokeyman posted:

You can reload the current page by tapping 'Page X of Y' then immediately hitting 'Jump to Page'.

There's also a setting 'Show Images'. If it's off, images are replaced with a link that shows the image when you tap it.

Do either of those help?

Yes! Thanks so much.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Hey Guys, I've got the app for iPad and I'm having trouble using the upload pictures function as in I take photos but error 01 (I believe it is) pops up. Do I need to sign up to some kind of server? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the app!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Hey Guys, I've got the app for iPad and I'm having trouble using the upload pictures function as in I take photos but error 01 (I believe it is) pops up. Do I need to sign up to some kind of server? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the app!

No need to sign up for anything. Next time it happens, can you get me the whole error message?

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
Someone mentioned .gif avatars earlier and that reminded me of an issue with .gifs: more than a couple of them on a page often make reading really sluggish (this mostly comes up in some sports threads). Would it be possible (or would it even help) to have an option to not 'play' animated .gifs or to only make them go when tapped? It's only animated .gifs that do this though, so I'd rather not disable all images. This is on an iPad 2.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

goethe gear xx posted:

Someone mentioned .gif avatars earlier and that reminded me of an issue with .gifs: more than a couple of them on a page often make reading really sluggish (this mostly comes up in some sports threads). Would it be possible (or would it even help) to have an option to not 'play' animated .gifs or to only make them go when tapped? It's only animated .gifs that do this though, so I'd rather not disable all images. This is on an iPad 2.

Not animating them when not on screen may help as well, if possible.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

pokeyman posted:

No need to sign up for anything. Next time it happens, can you get me the whole error message?

Here you go dude, hope this helps as it's a great app and it sucks that I have to keep using my photobucket account to post pictures.

Maybe, I'm just doing something wrong from the start?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

goethe gear xx posted:

I'll have a look at some point, it's definitely on the list, but last time I had a look there was no easy way to do this. The posts are rendered using a web view, so it's HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. As far as I know you can't mess with animated gifs at that level.

I do want to figure out how to handle animated gifs, but I might not be successful until we move away from rendering posts in a web view.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Here you go dude, hope this helps as it's a great app and it sucks that I have to keep using my photobucket account to post pictures.

Maybe, I'm just doing something wrong from the start?

Thanks. It's not you. I've been pretty bad at making image uploading work, in part because I don't use it myself. I'll take a look and, if nothing else, record more info when you get that error.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Phone-wise I looovvvee the upload feature. It's the easiest way to get an image in a thread.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I'll have a look at some point, it's definitely on the list, but last time I had a look there was no easy way to do this. The posts are rendered using a web view, so it's HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. As far as I know you can't mess with animated gifs at that level.

I do want to figure out how to handle animated gifs, but I might not be successful until we move away from rendering posts in a web view.

Couldn't they just be blocked like other images can be?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Terminal Entropy posted:

Couldn't they just be blocked like other images can be?

There's a "Show Images" setting that'll turn everything into a link you tap to show the image. That works fine on animated gifs, so it's a solution at least. The hard part would be a "Show Animated Images" setting that turns just animated gifs into links. I have no idea how to detect whether a gif is animated without grabbing the whole image data and messing around with it, which I'd have to do with every image since a) not all gifs are animated and b) not all gifs are sent with the right MIME type. And that sucks.

If anyone wants to take a run at it, I'll help. But I probably won't be touching animated gifs until we switch to non-webview rendering. Which is only on the roadmap at a nebulous "future" version.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

Phone-wise I looovvvee the upload feature. It's the easiest way to get an image in a thread.

I'm happy to have the feature, I just don't notice when it breaks. So everyone should tell me when it breaks!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Something I've noticed lately is that I've been having trouble loading threads on 3G. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just loads forever and I have to back out to my bookmarks list and go back in.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Jasmine app added a URL handler jasmine:// if that is useful in any way for handling videos.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've noticed mod stars seem to be gone again. I remember you said it was difficult to parse those, but just bringing it up :)

radge
Jan 21, 2005

The text size setting really needs to be better implemented as its almost impossible to set the text size properly without a lot of trial and error.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Interesting scenario encountered today. Providing feedback just in case you care. I'm not really bothered by it though, now that I know what was going on.

I put in a carryout lunch order today with a chain deli that I believe is owned by christians or similar. Whilst waiting for my order I thought I'd catch up on threads. But when I popped the app open I got this error:

Weird. Not particularly descriptive. So I force killed the app and relaunched. Same message. I acknowledged it and then pulled to refresh my list. Same message. After a minute I thought 403 was something to do with authorization in the HTTP protocol so I tried to go to the forums in Safari.

Turned off WiFi and reloaded the app against 3G; worked. If this is the only thing that can cause that particular error, you may want to have the error to the user say something like, "you're on some shitlord free restaurant network that is blocking the forums to protect you from seeing something unsavory while eating."

Thanks for the app. I love it. Would happily buy hats IAP.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jivjov posted:

Something I've noticed lately is that I've been having trouble loading threads on 3G. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just loads forever and I have to back out to my bookmarks list and go back in.

You're not the only one. I don't have an explanation, but I'll take a look and see if I can find anything. I should (re-)add some networking logging stuff to help.

JHVH-1 posted:

Jasmine app added a URL handler jasmine:// if that is useful in any way for handling videos.

I saw this in the release notes! Someone requested opening YouTube links in Jasmine, so now that feature can possibly be implemented.

Cryptic Edge posted:

I've noticed mod stars seem to be gone again. I remember you said it was difficult to parse those, but just bringing it up :)

If that's in the testing version: I'll fix it up. The parsing's fine, it's just not appearing in the right place. Got some stylesheet stuff in flux right now.

Speaking of: to anyone who's putting their own CSS in iTunes, you might see some breakage next version. I'm sorry.

radge posted:

The text size setting really needs to be better implemented as its almost impossible to set the text size properly without a lot of trial and error.

I want to move it (with some other choice settings) to the posts view, so that you can see posts as you resize. It was just easier to dump it in the Settings tab for now.

Beelzebozo posted:

After a minute I thought 403 was something to do with authorization in the HTTP protocol so I tried to go to the forums in Safari.

Turned off WiFi and reloaded the app against 3G; worked. If this is the only thing that can cause that particular error, you may want to have the error to the user say something like, "you're on some shitlord free restaurant network that is blocking the forums to protect you from seeing something unsavory while eating."

That's a good thought. All we do now is check if the forums are "reachable", but we don't check if we get useful content. I'm not sure there's a general solution to this (some other lovely public wi-fi might return 200 or 402 or whatever). There's definitely something more helpful we can do here. I'll think on it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Still loving the app, thanks pokeyman. Here's an idea: an option to use the forums IP instead of the URL domain name for wifi hotspots / workplaces that block it? Total edge case and rarely necessary but might be easy to do.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

randyest posted:

Still loving the app, thanks pokeyman. Here's an idea: an option to use the forums IP instead of the URL domain name for wifi hotspots / workplaces that block it? Total edge case and rarely necessary but might be easy to do.

Does that work? That's awesome. I'll put it on the list.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pokeyman posted:

Works at my office and at the free wifi at American Joe's at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

pokeyman posted:

Yeah it's my standard backup. Everyone will have to log in again though if you switch.

• Locked thread