Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty sure all games are supposed to be playable with an Xbox controller.

I'm mainly interested in multiplayer games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
They updated Travel, Sports, Finance, Weather and News apps today.

I only checked Weather but they finally fixed the issue where you would get stuck on the hourly updates when scrolling and they added a hint bar that pops up when you scroll until you right click to see the other options.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

For those interested, there is a decent-looking unofficial Facebook app now.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Is there a way to get the People app to sync with Google Contacts? I set it up with my Google account, and it pulled the contacts successfully, but they no longer sync. Changes on Google made after the initial setup don't appear on People, and changes on People don't change on Google.
Has anyone got people to sync with Google contacts?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Is MetroTwit working for anybody today? It keeps crashing at startup for me now.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Aatrek posted:

Is MetroTwit working for anybody today? It keeps crashing at startup for me now.

Working for me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I thought Twitter had introduced some API key or user limit for third party applications? IIRC the few more popular Twitter clients have been crashing left and right because they couldn't deal with rejected requests.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

I thought Twitter had introduced some API key or user limit for third party applications? IIRC the few more popular Twitter clients have been crashing left and right because they couldn't deal with rejected requests.

They do, but anybody that already has a working token on their machine should continue to work indefinitely. I believe MetroTwit also syncs the token between machines, so as long as you don't remove/add your account you should be fine.

Edit: The original Tweetro didn't sync between machines. I probably single-handedly took up 10-15 of their tokens with all my reinstalling and different machines. After they got rate limited I was able to get new machines working by manually copying over the applications settings file.

tk fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 15, 2012

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I did a full reinstall and that seemed to fix MetroTwit for me.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Is anyone having issues with the People app? It doesn't show my latest notifications. The live tile will display a new notification but when I open the app and go to notifications it doesn't get updated. Even if I try to refresh.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Blu Graphing Calculator (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/764cce31-8f93-48a6-b4fc-008eb78e50d4)

Free for a limited time. Normally $1.99

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I have a Surface on the way. I'm mainly interested in using it for technical PDFs and reading epubs. What are some recommended epub reader apps? I have a Windows 8 laptop for work, and I tried a few readers, but it doesn't have touch, so I'm not sure how they work on a tablet.

Is there a recommended library and PDF annotator app?

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So I have a Surface on the way. I'm mainly interested in using it for technical PDFs and reading epubs. What are some recommended epub reader apps? I have a Windows 8 laptop for work, and I tried a few readers, but it doesn't have touch, so I'm not sure how they work on a tablet.

I got my Surface on Monday. Installed "Freda" on it straight away for reading epubs. I love Freda from using it on Windows Phone. First impressions are that I like it on Surface too.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Any applications like AirVideo or other options to stream videos on the surface? If it could just handle stuff from a share, that'd be good too.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Falcon2001 posted:

Any applications like AirVideo or other options to stream videos on the surface? If it could just handle stuff from a share, that'd be good too.

I use Multimedia 8 (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/0260a0fc-38bb-45a6-aa2a-f2453766c5fc) to play videos off local shares, bur the built-in Video app should be able to play videos off SMB or UPnP shares no problem.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum
How are people using Facebook?

Does anyone find that the "People" app fails to show status-updates from a bunch of their facebook friends? (friends whose updates are visible from Windows Phone 8, and also from the facebook web-page?)

How are people uploading photos to facebook? I tried this app
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-GB/app/share-photo-to-facebook/ae3b5341-a854-4d9b-87d0-5fb0cc852694
but it felt sleazy - it asked for more facebook permissions than seemed justified, and the photo I uploaded with it still hadn't appeared on my facebook timeline after 24 hours.

There's another app in the store
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/photo-uploader/c0a4cfdf-7d36-40c8-b415-c57a41690cf3
that I haven't tried yet.

This article
http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-share-to-facebook-from-any-windows-8-app
claims you can just "share to facebook" from any photo, but it's not true. (One of the commentors said you can also "share to people app", but that's not true either as far as I can tell.)

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is there an RSS type app that uses live tiles and is free? Basically I'm on a desktop and I was hoping to use my windows 8 start screen to replace iGoogle.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Gilok posted:

Is there an RSS type app that uses live tiles and is free? Basically I'm on a desktop and I was hoping to use my windows 8 start screen to replace iGoogle.

Nextgen Reader (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/30648d7a-f0b5-4719-8ca9-7ed6ce3b4b9b) is my Google Reader application of choice, which as far as I'm concerned is the only way to consume RSS. There are a few other Google Reader applications in the store if you search around.

News Bento (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/7d008fc1-8f63-4283-8297-33471fc2b882) may support raw RSS, but I'm not 100% sure.

Edit: These may not do exactly what you want, but should be work checking out.

tk fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 2, 2013

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

tk posted:

Nextgen Reader (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/30648d7a-f0b5-4719-8ca9-7ed6ce3b4b9b) is my Google Reader application of choice, which as far as I'm concerned is the only way to consume RSS. There are a few other Google Reader applications in the store if you search around.

Is there a way to display also read articles? It currently shows only unread ones, and they disappear after I read them :/

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Ihmemies posted:

Is there a way to display also read articles? It currently shows only unread ones, and they disappear after I read them :/

Click on the gear next to subscriptions and select "Show All Articles" and/or "Show All Subscriptions" This toggles between showing all of them and showing only unread items.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Gotta like the consistency of the certification process.

The last two versions of one of my apps had no changes to its audio subsystem and passed it fine. The current version failing just had a bunch of UI changes done and still no single line of code changed in audio. And guess what, it apparently failed because of "background audio", a capability not even advertised or required.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Dropbox is finally out!

Not a good desktop replacement as it doesn't do sync, but it does do the file picker right as well as have a good interface for tablets.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there a good replacement Calendar app? I like the one that came with 8, but it is only available with People and Messaging, which were getting annoying.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there a good replacement Calendar app? I like the one that came with 8, but it is only available with People and Messaging, which were getting annoying.

Can't you just unpin and not use People/Messaging? Or was there something else about them that was annoying you?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Speaking of People and the other associated apps, is there a way to mark all mail in an Inbox as read?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
DuckDuckGo came out with an official app (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/d526ba1b-a065-4cb9-a6c6-bf30f6123e2b)

Third party Roku remote app (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/b0eac380-be6a-48ac-86a6-b92826ba2abe)

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Chasiubao posted:

Speaking of People and the other associated apps, is there a way to mark all mail in an Inbox as read?

Ctrl-A (not joking)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

tk posted:

Can't you just unpin and not use People/Messaging? Or was there something else about them that was annoying you?

Getting messages in Facebook on Chrome caused them to pop up in Messaging as well. Was redundant.

Met48
Mar 15, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Getting messages in Facebook on Chrome caused them to pop up in Messaging as well. Was redundant.

Haven't tested it, but Messaging has an option to disable "Send/receive messages" for all accounts.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm too poor to own a tablet of any kind, so I wind up reading e-magazines on a 40" 1080p TV and changing pages with keyboard or mouse. Sad, I know.

Are there any good fullscreen PDF readers intended for sitting a few feet away and flipping pages with a remote control or the arrow keys or something? I just want a ghetto reader until I can afford a tablet, and I know I can do better than Adobe Reader fullscreened in desktop mode or something.

Seems Windows ships with one, and it was just hidden. Doesn't support CBR/CBZ too, but oh well.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 18, 2013

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Met48 posted:

Haven't tested it, but Messaging has an option to disable "Send/receive messages" for all accounts.

You can also disable notifications and lock screen permission for any app under its permissions.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Is there an app for writing PDFs (by saving as PDF using Print) along the lines of PDFill?

Sunshine89 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 19, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Heh, Microsoft's PR agency Wunderman just requested my permission to feature imagery of my Audio Analyzer app in their TV/online ads. I wonder if they'll actually use it.

I guess this will finally compel me to start that rewrite it direly needs.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Heh, Microsoft's PR agency Wunderman just requested my permission to feature imagery of my Audio Analyzer app in their TV/online ads. I wonder if they'll actually use it.

I guess this will finally compel me to start that rewrite it direly needs.

sorry for your loss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr3dFSzh1yU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

So Microsoft's marketing team have decided to target the elusive "High-School Musical" demographic?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I actually recognize the guy looking all :smugdog: in the last frame from a Shakira video.

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
Is there a metro app that replaces paint or paint.NET? I did a quick glance through the thread and didn't see anything. I mean, I know Adobe just made some old versions of Photoshop (CS3, I think?) free and I could just use that, but I doubt they will play nice on my surface pro.

I need an app to facilitate my dick-drawing needs, basically.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

IcedPee posted:

Is there a metro app that replaces paint or paint.NET? I did a quick glance through the thread and didn't see anything. I mean, I know Adobe just made some old versions of Photoshop (CS3, I think?) free and I could just use that, but I doubt they will play nice on my surface pro.

I need an app to facilitate my dick-drawing needs, basically.

Fresh Paint

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I've been using this and it's really awesome.

Quick question: Is there an app that will let me stream my TV tuner (WinTV 950-Q) to my tablet from my desktop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The official Twitter app is now out. :) It offers the basic Twitter functionality but I can't find a way to tweet from more than one account or lists, which is a pity. It does have the Live tile updates and you can share stuff from other Metro apps on Twitter.

• Locked thread