Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Bliggers- posted:

Considering none of the material will ever be repressed and most people on the Vault keep their stuff instead of flipping it, I wouldn't expect values to drop too low. Certain packages, like the White Stripes ones, are not coming down in price anytime soon.

Incidentally the White Stripes packages are the best ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Oh, sweet! The HTDA album arrived early for me!

wait, what's that say...

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Throw that poo poo in the garbage

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
That's obviously a manufacturing error. You should send it back.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Space Jam posted:

Throw that poo poo in the garbage

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Nice work Columbia, you idiots.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Doctor Cave posted:

Give me a 180gm deluxe reissue of Whipped Cream & Other Delights already dammit.

There was a picture disc reissue in 2009 I believe, with a $25 price tag to boot. Even worse? The buyer at the store I was working at at the time ordered two loving copies of it. :psyduck:

WASDF posted:

wait, what's that say...

To be fair, hardcore NIN fans are pretty much exactly the type of folks that say ignorant poo poo like "vinyls" on a regular basis.

Also, that Have a Nice Life chat on the last page made me realize I should probably sell my first press copy. Don't get me wrong, it's a good record, but not one I wouldn't part with for the kind of cash it's apparently selling for these days.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

People selling =/= people buying. They rarely go on sale and I don't hear of anyone actually buying them for the ridiculous prices they are up for.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I had a couple of cool buys this weekend:

The Opeth record I got at their show last night, wasn't expecting it to be the clear tour edition that was supposedly exclusive to VIP ticketholders. It's great though, now I just need Damnation and Orchid on clear.

The Angus Stone record is something I tried to order when it was announced 9 months ago. It was limited to 500 copies and sold out instantly (like, they couldn't even fulfill my pre-order). I tried to get a copy off Amazon after the pre-order was cancelled but it got lost in the post. I just found this randomly lying around in the store I pre-ordered it from back in July. It's super hard to find a limited edition copy now and have sold for up to $100 on Discogs.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
I guess I'll have to buy that HTDA on CD.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've got to wonder if "vinyls" is actually the slang used by teenagers these days and we're just really that old?

I mean, I wouldn't say it, but who knows about somebody who was born after cassettes died and before vinyl started coming back into vogue?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It's not slang, it's improper English. :colbert:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I was born in 1986 by which time CDs had been in mainstream use for a couple of years. I call them records not vinyls because I am not mentally retarded.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Ron Burgundy posted:

I was born in 1986 by which time CDs had been in mainstream use for a couple of years. I call them records not vinyls because I am not mentally retarded.

Hey, I was born in 1986, and we didn't have a CD player until 1992. But honestly, people born around that time would still know what records were because for a lot of our parents, that's how they had most of their music. It took a while for my parents to get the albums they had on vinyl on CD.

Except for Songs in the Attic. Somehow, my dad had the record, a cassette tape dubbed from the record, the actual printed cassette, and the CD version of that album. Dad really digs that album.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I broke our family turntable in the very early 90s (I was a baby), and my parents decided that we'd move on instead of fixing it. We were a cassette only family until about 1998.

The turntable and records were sent to the garage, where I'd find them, confused as to what they were. Now I have my own! :v:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
At first I was agitated, but now I enjoy hearing people cry about "vinyls."

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

The only albums I have that really shot up in value are Fun - Aim and Ignite (which I got right before the band blew the gently caress up), Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 (which I got on Amazon for like, $12 and is going for around $30 on Discogs) and Jay-Z - The Blueprint (which I got when Best Buy was getting rid of all of their records for like, $5).

Did you get the rainbow splatter version of Aim and Ignite? Because the picture disc version is still sold in their online store for 30 bucks.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

worthless insect posted:

I got Modern Baseball's Sports on blue vinyl on the way in the mail. I'm pretty excited since it's an awesome album and it's the first record I've bought in like 2 months.

Good record - took me a while to really "get it", but it was worth being persistent.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Read Menace posted:

What records have you guys bought that are now exploded in value? I bought Passion Pit - Manners for $15 when it came out and now I see that its selling on Discogs for $200. Just recently I bought the Haim - Forever single for $8 and now it goes for $100+. I don't really sell records but its still fun to see.

Paid $23 for my *shels - Plains of the Purple Buffalo, and I believe it's going for about $120/Ł80 now. I paid $10 for my The Black Dahlia Murder - Deflorate, and it's going for $100 now.

I'm pretty happy with that :)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Got my shipping confirmation for the two Sigur Ros albums from Amazon.co.uk. They're scheduled to be delivered while I'm in Boston.

To see Sigur Ros.
This tickles me far more than it probably should.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ron Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I'm not talking about people your age. I'm talking about people born in, say, nineteen NINETY six.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

I've got to wonder if "vinyls" is actually the slang used by teenagers these days and we're just really that old?

I mean, I wouldn't say it, but who knows about somebody who was born after cassettes died and before vinyl started coming back into vogue?

Cassettes are still super popular with Black Metal enthusiasts. As enthused as I am about Black Metal, I never got into that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

Cassettes are still super popular with Black Metal enthusiasts. As enthused as I am about Black Metal, I never got into that.

What's the deal with this?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CPL593H posted:

What's the deal with this?

I never got it either, my guess is that the analog hiss of the cassette "adds to the atmosphere of the music since it's reminiscent of the eery silence experienced during a walk through a winter forest"

http://www.analogworship.com/?filter=cs and http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?format=Cassette&style=Black+Metal are the go-to place for the dudes I know who are into it.

The last paragraph of the "Decline" section on Wikipedia's article on cassette tapes even discusses its use by the BM community, though I think it's more of a European thing than an American thing.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 18, 2013

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I bought a cassette at a Nobunny show earlier this year.

I was really drunk.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

I never got it either, my guess is that the analog hiss of the cassette "adds to the atmosphere of the music since it's reminiscent of the eery silence experienced during a walk through a winter forest"

http://www.analogworship.com/?filter=cs and http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?format=Cassette&style=Black+Metal are the go-to place for the dudes I know who are into it.

The last paragraph of the "Decline" section on Wikipedia's article on cassette tapes even discusses its use by the BM community, though I think it's more of a European thing than an American thing.

Probably, but it's not unheard of. I see cassettes at record stores all the time. And I know a guy who buys Black Metal tapes.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I grew up in the 80s and 90s and there is literally nothing on earth that will ever compel me to buy a cassette ever again.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

iostream.h posted:

I grew up in the 80s and 90s and there is literally nothing on earth that will ever compel me to buy a cassette ever again.

I agree. Cassettes are loving terrible. I'd rather listen to an MP3.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I only get cassettes if its like the only medium the music is released on. Planning for Burial only seems to release his EPs on cassettes and I've bought like four of them.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah, I'm not talking about people your age. I'm talking about people born in, say, nineteen NINETY six.

I dunno, I was born in 1992 and had never even seen a record until a few years ago. I still call them records (unless I say it's coloured vinyl or whatever) because I am decent enough at speaking English.

Just got two packages in the mail, Steven Wilson's new album and Mono's You Are There on green and blue vinyl :woop:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david puddy posted:

I dunno, I was born in 1992 and had never even seen a record until a few years ago. I still call them records (unless I say it's coloured vinyl or whatever) because I am decent enough at speaking English.

Just got two packages in the mail, Steven Wilson's new album and Mono's You Are There on green and blue vinyl :woop:

Get off my loving lawn.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

david puddy posted:

I dunno, I was born in 1992 and had never even seen a record until a few years ago.
Not even in TV or movies, Or do you mean in person? Did you never set foot in a thrift or antique store?

edit: vvv Ah, I could see that then.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 18, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

wa27 posted:

Not even in TV or movies, Or do you mean in person? Did you never set foot in a thrift or antique store?

I just meant in person. I don't think I've ever really been in a thrift store before (I don't know if they're as plentiful here as they seem to be in the US). There are a few major charity stores but I have never been to them as far as I can recall.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eight Is Legend posted:

Did you get the rainbow splatter version of Aim and Ignite? Because the picture disc version is still sold in their online store for 30 bucks.

Nope. I guess it's just not worth that much.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I don't know whats with all the tape hate here.

Love me some Cassingles©

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

I don't know whats with all the tape hate here.

Love me some Cassingles©

Tapes sound like poo poo.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

but they're kind of cool

oh man, i had my smudgy finger prints on the tape! the playing surface!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I swear if I ever hear somebody call records vinyls again I'll unload a whole clip of bullets into them from my Colt Python pistol.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I agree. Cassettes are loving terrible. I'd rather listen to an MP3.

The main reason why tapes have become so common within the BM/Noise/Ambient/Whatever circles is because they're really cheap to make. They only cost a couple of bucks a piece and they're easy to make a profit from. I'd much rather buy a cassette than a CD-R-.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Tapes sound like poo poo.

I wonder if black metal tapes are on metal tape...