Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

RillAkBea posted:

Still a lot better than Fear 2 though :v:

Unfortunately you weren't kidding. The levels are linear tubes, the enemies are practically harmless (at least thus far) and the whole thing feels simplified to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Huh, I played through FEAR on whatever the highest difficulty was and am doing the same with FEAR 2 and it only only feels only ever so slightly easier. The game doesn't feel any more (or less) linear than the original. In fact, I would say FEAR 2 is pretty much more of the original FEAR but a bit prettier and a bit more variety in environments. It doesn't bring anything new to the table but it's a decent though not great game.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Thoughtless posted:

Nulled: Dungeons Defenders. This is the grindiest game I've played. Me and a friend have absolutely zero chance of beating the second level of the game. Yeah, I'm not going to grind levels in a tower defense game; good riddance, Orcs Must Die you are not. Thankfully it was free with Super Hexagon. Speaking of that...

There is this weird dichotomy with Dungeon Defenders. Some players brickwall on level 2 for ages, others blast through the entire game without ever being slowed down. I got stuck on level 2 until I'd gotten one character of each class up to "all levels and abilities unlocked", and then blew through the remainder of the game.

The "postgame" is horrifically broken. I hope this hasn't wrecked the Normal Campaign side of things, but I suppose it might have since I was there.

---

Meanwhile, I have successfully 100%ed Runner 2. by which I mean "all rewards, all levels beaten on hard, all levels perfected, all collectibles, all bonus levels beaten." The only thing left to do that the game tracks would be to Perfect+ every level individually on each difficulty level ("Perfect Perfectionist.") That sounds like a way to guide idle play later when I feel like returning to it - calling this COMPLETED.

I'm also most of the way through a PC replay of BIT.TRIP BEAT, which I beat on the Wii back in '09. It's been about 2 hours but I've made it to the final boss on Normal. Unfortunately, losing against the final boss sends you back over 10 minutes of gameplay. This isn't really something I can play on a sustained basis, so I just get a game or two in a day. I'll probably re-beat it eventually.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Trine 2 but despite enjoying the gameplay I don't find myself really wanting to play it. Not sure what's going on there.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009

BKPR posted:

So are the Blackwell games much better than Gemini Rue? I've put off trying them because Gemini Rue was such a pain to play.

They're loads better, and I think indiegala was teasing a wadget eye bundle for sometime this week, so keep an eye out for that one to get them on the cheap.

New 100% achievement games this week:

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten - Very cool game, the art is a bit naff but everything else is excellent. It's a bit like Defense Grid in that it doesn't innovate anythinge, but everything in it is refined enough to not really matter. Reaching wave 100 on endless 2+ was pretty horrific and I wasted a lot of time retrying that one until I could come up with a good strategy.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Lavatein posted:

They're loads better, and I think indiegala was teasing a wadget eye bundle for sometime this week, so keep an eye out for that one to get them on the cheap.

Groupees actually, but yeah, the rumors are Tuesday or Wednesday this week. I'm excited for this.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

I beat StarMaster and liked it enough to replay it a few times on harder difficulties. It's very short but it holds up decently and for a game of its era is relatively deep. If nothing else it's interesting for what they were trying to do with the limitations of the hardware.

I played half a season of NCAA Basketball 10 and had the same problem I've had with every EA Sports game for the last decade: default difficulty levels are way too easy and I was never challenged, but the next step up in difficulty was the opposite and I was just getting trounced every game. I was either bored out of my mind or frustrated the entire time I played. The game did an extremely poor job of telling me why I was doing so poorly or giving me any advice on how to improve other than having a guy pop up in the corner shouting "We've gotta penetrate and kick!" whenever I missed a shot. There was apparently very little audio recorded for this game because it loops like crazy, even for a sports game. Also Dick Vitale is the most annoying person on Earth.

I beat Samorost 1. Very short and simple adventure game, no inventory, back tracking or fail states, but still enjoyable simply for the music and the art.

I played some Alien Storm but quickly lost any desire to finish it. It's a mediocre side-scrolling brawler from that genre's golden age. I got to mission five and realized I should just play Streets of Rage 2 so I did.

I started LandStalker and while I really want to like it I'm having a lot of issues with its control. It's an isometric 3D action RPG but you don't have free 3D movement, you're restricted to a grid. It's hard to explain because I can't think of another game that handles like this and it's just making it a real slog to get anywhere because there's a lot of combat and platforming and I just never feel like I have a complete handle on the controls. The hit boxes on the character and enemies seem off as well. I'm probably not going to finish this.

I played a bunch of Victoria too and it had been long enough that I'd completely forgotten how that game worked but it was still fun.

I dropped everything else I was playing because I got back to the point where I was playing a half dozen games at once and not making progress on any of them. I really need to just stick with one game at a time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nah, Alien Storm was pretty lame even in 1990. The arcade version wasn't an improvement either. It's a shame about Landstalker, that game genuinely has good puzzle dungeon elements but Alundra is basically its sequel and 1,000x better. You are on an invisible grid so use that to your advantage to time your precise movements. I'm glad they didn't go full range because it wouldn't have worked well on early technology. See the difference between Star Tropics 1 and 2. Lightstalker Light Crusader had a similar perspective but freedom of movement and platforming was miserable.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 11, 2013

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

There were other isometric games from that generation that handled free movement reasonably well and I'm going to give LandStalkers another chance so maybe it will click with me after all. If not I think I actually have Alundra sitting around somewhere so I may just play that instead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ManxomeBromide posted:

I'm also most of the way through a PC replay of BIT.TRIP BEAT ... Unfortunately, losing against the final boss sends you back over 10 minutes of gameplay.
Thank you for confirming my suspicions of why I nulled, uninstalled, and swore to never so much as look at that game again.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Well it helps that each level in Bit.Trip Beat can be beaten in 10 minutes and there are only three of them, four if you count the bonus Portal one. It's definitely not a perfect game but I guess I was lucky enough to beat everything on the first try once I learned how to play.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Beat FEAR 2 and Reborn expansion. Looked better but played worse than FEAR 1. Level design was really disappointing. FEAR had these large, sprawling levels where you had several routes converging towards the same direction. This gave AI enough room to run around and flank you, preventing any boring stalemates and keeping combat fluid. FEAR 2 was a single tube all the way. The slowdown mechanic made practically every fight trivial, especially if you had some good weapons. Strangely enough Reborn played a lot better since there was a lot less boring filler. Only a couple fights, but I think I died as many times as during the whole main game.

I should probably finish Homestar Runner games. Halfway into fourth episode the puzzles and general game design start to be really grating. Pat & Mat or Wallace & Gromit were a lot more enjoyable.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
BEATEN: Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People - Picked this up in a recent indie bundle, practically a steal. Completed an episode each day, it was certainly a fun experience. Crazy Adventure Logic required though, so don't feel too bad having to consult a walkthrough at certain points. It wasn't anyway farmiliar with the franchise but still had a good time, with Episode 1 being the weakest episode and the rest getting better from there. I spent about 2 hours on each episode, so expect to play for a little under 10 hours, unless you want all the collectibles, which requires a lot of tracking.

Currently relaxing with a bit of FTL whenever I can, though I recently picked up Sonic & All Stars: Racing Transformed, which is really enjoyable and addictive.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Yodzilla posted:

Well it helps that each level in Bit.Trip Beat can be beaten in 10 minutes and there are only three of them, four if you count the bonus Portal one. It's definitely not a perfect game but I guess I was lucky enough to beat everything on the first try once I learned how to play.

I like to think of it as a racing game with three tracks. If you don't enjoy the act of driving down the track, there's absolutely nothing there for you.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I re-beat Empire: Total War's campaign, revisiting it to see if the later patches made it good. The combat is not fun or interesting, it could be against a player but the battle and strategic AI are both dumber than nails. I kept on playing because my hard on grew with Sweden's expanding borders. :sweden: Don't play this game, play any other Total War game instead.

I suffered through Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army on my own as none of my friends have it and I could not for the life of me join a public multiplayer game. I joined one lobby, but it dissolved moments later. Not a good game. There are four enemy types in the whole game, spread over six lengthy levels that drag on way too long. In the end I threw the pretence of being a sniper out the window and was kicking over zombies to execute them with my pistol, or kicking them down stairs, as their heads would explode after lying down awkwardly on the stairs for a few seconds.

Sidenote: I'm surprised at how good I am with a vertical mouse and shooters now. When I first started I could barely use the desktop with any kind of precision.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
The Secret World (PC) - Nulled: It was an entertaining MMORPG for the short time I played it. You can learn every skill in the game but only pick a few ones for battle, which is called building a deck. I love systems like these because you can spend so much time just trying to figure out the optimal composition for the task at hand. TSW had other cool ideas too, like intricate investigation quests and puzzles, along with a complementary ingame browser (you actually have to do research for many of the riddles). The game is decently polished and presents itself really well, including cutscenes and voiceovers for every single quest. The reason I nulled this very early on is that I got sucked into Age of Wushu and I didn't want to take on two MMOs at once.

Age of Wushu (PC) - Nulled: This game is rough around the edges with a horrible UI, awful translation and bugs galore. On the other hand it's filled with features, mini-games and other random poo poo that infuses the gameplay with diversity as you grind up the ranks. The combat is tons of fun because every class has a different way of being a total douchebag and usually the biggest jerk is also the winner. It's ruthless and it's awesome. At the same time it's still a classical MMO when it comes to level-progression in that you can't escape the aforementioned grind. Eventually I didn't have the time or patience to log on everyday and do the same lovely spy missions and team practices anymore. I stopped playing when I was about to get my second internal, which is a sign that you're about to enter the big boys club. But I didn't cross that line yet and I don't think I'll be in the mood for any MMOs in the near future so I consider it nulled for now.

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (GOG) - Beat: I'm stunned by this FPS. It's been released in the mid-nineties and I never played it up to this week so it's not out of nostalgia when I tell you that this game is still loving awesome. The level-design is outstanding and the combat is quick and brutal and satisfying, complemented by an interesting selection of weaponry and gadgets. The gameplay is incredibly simple - run around, shoot stuff, find access cards, get to the finish. But it works so well. The presentation is delightfully cheesy and keeps you well entertained with random explosions, pop-culture references and Duke's genius insights thrown at you non-stop. There's also a lot of replay-value if you want to beat the time trials, finish the game on a higher difficulty or find all the secrets and hidden levels (or as we call them today, DLC). However, I'm content with just having beaten the campaigns on normal difficulty. My backlog isn't getting any shorter.

Currently playing:
Europa Universalis III (Steam)
Demon's Souls (PS3)
+3 free slots

Entenzahn fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 14, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If you enjoyed Duke Nukem 3D then you owe it to yourself to pick up Blood ASAP.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

If you enjoyed Duke Nukem 3D then you owe it to yourself to pick up Blood ASAP.
Also, Shadow Warrior. It's Duke Nukem 3D meets Yellow Peril.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I haven't updated in way too long. Here's what I've been playing for about the past month.

Beat: Bioshock
I was getting excited for Bioshock Infinite and remembered that I never finished the original. About an hour in, I remembered why: this was a poo poo PC port. I can put up with a lot of the typical quirks of bad PC ports, but this game had a glitch that prevented overlapping audio. Splicers talking cut off ambient sound, gunshots cut off talking, explosions cut off everything. Of all the things to gently caress up in this game, why did it have to be the sound? :mad: I kind of got used to it after awhile and powered through it, because the game is amazing. The atmosphere, sound design (what I heard of it), music, and storytelling were completely immersive. My only (minor) complaints are the long reload times for weapons and the hacking minigame which got tiresome pretty quickly. Overall, the game blew me away, and I look forward to another playthrough... on the 360 version I grabbed off eBay.

Beat: DOOM 3
This was a mixed bag for me. Dark games don't bother me, but the lighting and contrast felt so aggressive here. Light doesn't scatter or reflect off surfaces. If you're using the flashlight in a pitch black room, a small, perfect circle of light is projected in front of you, and the rest of the room remains completely dark. I'm sure a lot of this is just a limitation of the id Tech 4 engine. By far the WORST part of this game for me was the violent camera shake whenever you get hit. It made most firefights incredibly disorienting and frustrating. Aside from that, I loved the atmosphere and sound design. I'll definitely play through the expansion at some point.

Beat: Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
About halfway through, I realized that I've played this co-op with goons several years ago. I think that's the best way to play a Serious Sam game, but I still had fun blowing through this single-player.

Nulled: Trackmania United
I had a lot of fun with this, even though I don't generally like racing games. Learning the handling characteristics of each car is really rewarding, and instant restarts keep the pace fast and fun. Unfortunately, I don't see myself ever getting gold medals on every track, so this one has been nulled.

Beat: Metroid Prime
I played the GameCube version long ago, but Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii had been sitting on my shelf unplayed for too long. It's every bit as good as I remember it. Retro totally nailed the atmosphere and style of Metroid. The Wii controls work really well, aside from grappling, which I remember being finicky on the GameCube as well.

Next up:
Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm - :dance: Been looking forward to this for awhile.
BioShock 2 - If the PC version of this is as bad as I've heard, then I'll just buy the 360 version, I guess.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Beat - Assassin's Creed II
Well, I bit the bullet this weekend and plowed through the rest of this in one sitting. A great game to be sure, but also frustrating at times. I never really managed to get the feel of how Ezio moves and fights, so whenever anything awesome or horrible happened, it felt more like an accident than anything. I don't often play action games designed for controllers, so all of that is probably just on me. Most fun I had was just climbing around these crazy awesome cities and well known landmarks. Least fun: forced stealth sections. There were fun stealth portions too, where you were darting from corner to corner and crowd to crowd. Those parts just nailed that "hiding in plain sight" assassin feeling. When you have to kill a dozen guards without being detected, and one wrong button push leads to a farcical cascade of failure that can only lead to a game over... yeah that gets a bit frustrating. But hey, now I'm done with Assassin's Creed II, and I never need to play another game in that franchise ever again.

I've also put some more time into Etherlords 2. I really enjoy playing this. It's like a bastard child of Heroes of Might and Magic, and Magic the Gathering. Both of those components are kind of stripped down in this game, but there's enough left to make it fun. The only problem I have is that a lot of the tougher opponents have very gimmicky decks. You pretty much have to eat the first loss against them just to figure out which spells they use and what their strategy is. Then you can start to tune your deck to bring them down, which is a fun, kind of a puzzle solving process. I just wish you could get at least some information about the enemy beforehand, so there'd be less of trial and error.

Played some Painkiller as well. Why isn't combat this fun and visceral in other gunplay action games? Or any other games? I'd love to have something like Mass Effect with the combat of Painkiller. Man, Shepard just can't bunnyhop.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

BeanBandit posted:

BioShock 2 - If the PC version of this is as bad as I've heard, then I'll just buy the 360 version, I guess.

What's wrong with the PC version of Bioshock 2?

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Yodzilla posted:

GFWL is the biggest complaint. As long as it doesn't have the terrible sound issues I had with Bioshock 1, I'll put up with it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Bioshock 1 sound is likely your card/drivers, I had no such problems playing on 2 different computers.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

I've never had problems with GFWL before and Bioshock 2 wasn't the exception, but the Securom authentication wouldn't work for me. Their tech support was bad and condescending and sent me on a wild goose chase across 2K, Securom and Steam support.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Pierzak posted:

Bioshock 1 sound is likely your card/drivers, I had no such problems playing on 2 different computers.

I have an very common Asus card and updated drivers. This particular sound problem wasn't uncommon, based on a lot of threads on the 2K forums and elsewhere.

Anyway, I still loved the game, and I look forward to another playthrough.

Turada
Jun 17, 2006

On a mission from God
Completed - Shad'o

A fairly standard tower defense game. A handful of interesting mechanics (dual resources, fog obscuring view, minigames, bosses) stands it out from others, but spells make some of them redundant near the end of the game. The voice acting/subtitles were atrocious and not being able to speed up the game more than they allow makes some parts feel grindy.

I had to use Cheat Engine in the final section as I'm terrible at Tower Defense and the levels got too complicated for me.

Completed - Darksiders

The story was cool, but I lost track of it a bit after The Black Tower and had to confirm things after I finished. Even on Easy the game was challenging at times, and while I could have beaten most of it on Normal I can't imagine fighting Tiamat again.

In general the dungeon design was great, but a couple went on for too long (The Hollows & The Black Throne) and doing the same puzzle repeatedly did eventually lose its charm. I liked the overall feel of the game, War as the oversized fighter, the ruined landscape, everything felt like it worked and I never got bored of the landscape. The game crashed a couple of times and they never fixed the achievements not registering, but other than that it was stable. Got all the lifestones, wrath cores and abyssal armour so even though I only beat it on Easy, I'm calling it Complete.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

StoryTime posted:

Beat - Assassin's Creed II
Least fun: forced stealth sections.

The Bonfire of the Vanities chapter was terrible and they don't repeat that mistake in Brotherhood or Revelations. One might think they had learned something but I have yet to hear anything remotely good about AC3.

As for me...

(RE)-COMPLETED: BIT.TRIP BEAT. That took about five hours, four and a half hours of which were playing the last world over and over because I was poo poo at the final boss minigame and there are no checkpoints. (And this after already beating the game as part of a team on WiiWare years ago, so I knew basically what I was in for.) Still, this is one of those games that is more sport than game. Scoring is all about how well you can maintain streaks, and Not Dying is entirely about how well you can break losing streaks. It's organized pretty cleverly, too; I started seeing wheels-within-wheels as I mastered the courses and that made my gameplay both better and the things I was doing simpler. In that sense, it's kind of the opposite of Super Hexagon, where you master some short patterns and then it's just a matter of getting what you're ready to handle enough times in a row.

Also, my final leaderboards positions varied from #3465 to #311, so I'm pretty OK with that. (The #311 one, ironically, is less than half my actual best score on that stage, but you don't get to post to the leaderboard if you don't beat the level. :eng99:)

This is a terrible Backloggery game, but it's not bad at all as a score attack game.

BEATEN: Trine 2 in about six hours. It's more Trine. It's very pretty. The thief gets an unlimited supply of explosions and is still the best by a gigantic margin.

NEW GAMES: Dynamite Jack and Solar 2 as a side effect of getting Android versions of games I've already played and loved.

Not sure what to play next. I am open to suggestions. The dice say Mark of the Ninja but I could be readily convinced to defy the forces of chaos.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

ManxomeBromide posted:

Not sure what to play next. I am open to suggestions. The dice say Mark of the Ninja but I could be readily convinced to defy the forces of chaos.

You should play Saints Row 3. That is one hell of a videogame.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
New 100% achievement games for this week:

A Valley Without Wind - Yet another game that I can see is definitely not very good but I still liked it a lot. I had kind of given up on ever finishing this because getting a full set of legendary enchants from random drops seemed impossible. After 40 hours I had one out of like 20 and everyone else who had played was in pretty much the same boat. I noticed that someone was getting them quite quickly though, so I started to think about farming methods and eventually worked out that you could savescum the random loot shop. Got them all in about 20 minutes, apart from a lone bugged one, so I'm calling this done and I'll pick up the last one in five minutes whenever they fix it. Anyway, the game's got problems, as evidenced by the fact that they made the sequel/remake for free.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lavatein posted:

as evidenced by the fact that they made the sequel/remake for free.
Wait, what?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Colon V posted:

Wait, what?

They admitted that the first game didn't really hit what they were going for, so everyone who bought the first game got the sequel free. They're now sold as a bundle for the price of the original game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What is the second game? I have the first on Steam.

VVVVV: Well, that is remarkably straightforward.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 18, 2013

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Colon V posted:

The sequel is called A Valley Without Wind 2.

clamcake
Dec 24, 2012
Beat Sam & Max Season 3: the Devil's Playhouse and finally finished the series. Overall, I feel like the writing goes downhill as you play through the three seasons, but the last bits were still quite enjoyable. I really enjoyed the different game mechanics they used in this season. Jumping in and out of different film reels in Episode 2 was a lot of fun for me.

Completed Adam's Venture Episode 1: The Search for the Lost Garden. The game really isn't that good, but at least it's short. Most of the gameplay entails unscrambling Bible verses and burning cobwebs. You're occasionally required to relight your torch in order to continue burning cobwebs.

Completed Adam's Venture Episode 2: Solomon's Secret. See above. But replace Bible verses with knowledge of King Solomon's family tree and thoughts regarding baby-cleaving.

Completed Adam's Venture Episode 3: Revelations. A wide departure from the first two in the trilogy, there's very little Judeo-Christian bits in here. You still carry on your violent vendetta against cobwebs.

Beat CreaVures. Pretty substandard platformer. I did like the glowing flourescent visual style. It was like somebody shining a black light on a post-orgy jungle.

I feel like these most recent titles have turned my brain to oatmeal; I think it's time to take a few weeks off from steam.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Colon V posted:

VVVVV: Well, that is remarkably straightforward.

And as far as I can tell people like it even less than the original.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Valley Without Wind had a strange development. They spent a year or more on this top-down, isometric procedurally generated Diablo-style game. Then in a quarter of that time it turned into a sidescroller or something and immediately came out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

al-azad posted:

A Valley Without Wind had a strange development. They spent a year or more on this top-down, isometric procedurally generated Diablo-style game. Then in a quarter of that time it turned into a sidescroller or something and immediately came out.
AVWW would have worked well as a Diablish.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Winding down after some tough projects with some short and sweet games.

BEATEN: Noitu Love 2: Devolution - This little "indie-retro-arcade-platforming-button masher" was part of an indie bundle I picked up. Running roughly 87 minutes long, it's a solid action packed platformer, not much else to say really. It's fun, but over far too quickly. Wasn't too convinced to try clear it on "hard mode".

COMPLETED: DLC Quest - Picked this up the second with went up on Steam, it really is a DLC Quest, with all the tropes of overpriced DLC ruining your gaming experience or breaking the game with plenty of gaming jokes to boot. Cleared the main campaign and the "Freedium or Die" free dlc, though, I can't seem to find the last DLC pack and find a cheat code for the "Freedium" Campaign. I'll replay it the second someone releases a walkthrough.

NULLED: Crayon Physics Deluxe - This started out as a creative and ingenious game where you had to draw the solution, the problem was after a while the game forgets to explain it's new features properly and you're left with puzzles that can't be solved. It also seems impossible to get the "awesome" solution, no matter how crazy I draw my designs - which is kind of embarrassing for an architectural student to have to admit.

Currently playing a tonne of games, picking Metro 2033 back up to see if I can make it past a point I got stuck on, speeding through Sonic & All Stars: Racing Transformed, which somehow finds a new way to draw you in with each new race or unlockable, pulling my hair out with Cities XL Platinum, which looks great and has some nice features, but is seriously flawed and in some cases buggy and chipping away at Edge. FTL and Don't Starve to see how long I can last before I lose my mind.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 23, 2013

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

PowerBeard posted:

It also seems impossible to get the "awesome" solution, no matter how crazy I draw my designs - which is kind of embarrassing for an architectural student to have to admit.

Your standards are too high ;) "Awesome" solutions are marked as such by the player; the computer trusts you implicitly.

PowerBeard posted:

Winding down after some tough projects with some short and sweet games.

I've also been kind of stressy and I've been using controller katas I'm good at to relax or at least shift focus. That's been Runner 2 lately, but after over 250 consecutive perfect runs and getting every last achievement, I think it's time to shelve it.

---------

BEATEN: Dynamite Jack. Kind of like that old Chip's Challenge game, but much, much shorter and you also have infinite supplies of high explosives. This only took a couple of hours to go through.

NULLED: Solar 2. This is in theory a beatable game but the "beatable" parts feel tacked on.

NEW GAMES: BIT.TRIP CORE, BIT.TRIP VOID, FLY'N, Thomas Was Alone. There was apparently a sale on games I had wishlisted that were also in all caps, and after wringing Runner 2 completely dry I needed to refresh my supply of both controller katas and light platformers.

I've given the two BIT.TRIPs a bit of a run through; CORE is a strange sort of variant shoot-em-up, and VOID is basically an Ikaruga-style polarity-based bullet hell without the shooting or the ability to shift polarities.

CORE also seems a little wackily difficulty-scaled; after a couple of hours of messing with it I managed to beat level 1 on Normal. This also put me at #64 on the global leaderboard and earned me nearly half the achievements. Only 3.4% of players beat level 1 on Normal, but at least 4.5% of players have beaten the entire game.

It's a pretty good kata game, though, so I'll probably keep it for my brain-dead wind-down game. I was going to have my other game be Saint's Row 3 but someone elsenet pointed out that I still haven't tried Arkham City. I think I'll give that a shot next, and if I still want open-world-y play after that I can move on to SR3 or JC2.

On tap is to play more of CORE when I don't have the mental bandwidth to focus on anything more complicated and to finally get around to giving Batman: Arkham City a shot. If I'm still feeling the open-world vibe after Arkham City I'll move on to Just Cause 2 or Saint's Row 3.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just Cause 2 is amazing... in short bursts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Some of these comments are directly from my Steam recommendations.

Beat: Capsized
Pretty good platform shooter with a nice story and really good music and awesome graphics to match.
The whole thing reminds me a bit of 1970's comics like Metal Hurlant.

Nulled: Breath of Death VII
The nostalgia trip didn't work on me. Deleted after a few minutes.

Beat: Samatha Swift and The Golden Touch
The best part of this Hidden Object game is the title, as I got so many comments from people who thought I played a porn game.
The game itself was OK, but was more story driven than classic Hidden Object game.

Beat: Yard Sale Hidden Trasure: Sunnyville
In the Steam gifting thread, seorin held a competition called "The 2nd Non-Annual Awful Steam Games Suffer-a-thon". People sign up and get a horrible game they have to play and do a Let's Play/write-up about.
This game was given to someone, and I mentioned that I actually like those games and promptly got it gifted to me by Kragger99.
While I was not part of the competiton I did finish it, and I really enjoyed it.
It's one of the better non-story Hidden Object games in that it has good graphics, actually presented a challenge on some puzzles and was long enough that you got something for your money, but didn't repeat itself to death.
The side puzzles were annoying though.
This was not available for me in Europe and I have absolutely no idea why.

Beat: Elizabeth Find M.D. - Diagnosis Mystery - Season 2
An extremely short Hidden Object game, that focuses more on hospital romance drama than letting me find some objects that are hidden.

Nulled: Highborn
This game is buggy.

I mean buggy as in the first thing I saw after the company logo was an error message, telling me that the game couldn't find the settings file and that it had reverted to default settings.

When you save, you can't really be sure the game has created a "real" save until you exit the game and try and load it. If your save game is in the list, it worked. If not? Too bad.
And you need to save, because sometimes all units disappear, and the only way to get them back is to save and reload.
This is also the way to fix the game when it won't let you select anything on the screen. Save, exit and reload.

The game itself is a casual strategy game. It sells itself on the humour, but I'm still waiting for the first funny joke.
It's actually an OK game if you know what you are getting into: Casual with a capital C.
The graphics are good, the sound effects fine and they had just implemented more than one difficulty level when I started playing it. Played on Normal which felt like Easy, but again - Casual.

The most annoying part though, was finding out on the Steam forums, that the came only contains Chapter 1. That's 8 missions. Everything else will be released as DLCs later on, which is not mentioned on the store page.

Like a lot of other games published on Steam lately, this does not feel like a finished game or even a game almost ready for release.
It should have been moved to the Early Access section and with a clear note saying that only the first 8 levels are included and the rest can be bought as DLCs later.

I can't really recommend it in the sorry state it currently is in.

Beat: Bioshock
As I expected from reading reviews, this was really enjoyable. It started out a bit slow with cheap jump scares, but listening to all the sound recordings scattered around in the city, you slowly start to pick up both the main story and all the side stories that mix in.
It's a bit tricky to get working on Win 7 64 bit but I found it worth the trouble.

Beat: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
I've beaten/unlocked all tracks in the singe player campaign and I'm really not into trying to perfect runs so I earn that extra star so I can unlock some obscure Sega character, so I'm basically calling the single player part beaten.
I'll keep playing it though, as I've had a lot of fun playing online with the goons, and while I'm really bad at racing compared to most if not all the others, I'm one of the best at groaning and yelling at the others for beating me.

Edit:
Nulled: Ancients of Ooga
Forgot to mention in but then again, the platformer is so bad, you better forget about ever playing it.

Edit2:
Beat: DLC Quest
Quite enjoyable little platformer. The developers really caught all those retarded things we pay extra for today and it was both amusing and a bit sad at the same time.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 24, 2013