Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Slayer - "Spill The Blood" :wink:

It's just the intro and I'm sure that playing the notes would suffice for now; although after seeing the crescendo mark and listening to the song a few times, the bass definitely swells in. Not a big deal really, but since I'm just getting back into it, a lot of the dynamics/articulation marks are still foreign to me not only in a sight-reading sense, but also in an actual technical sense.

More likely than not, they're just using a volume pedal or some sort of "swell" effect stompbox when playing live, and it was probably all done in post-processing for the studio version.

EDIT: new page, content:

I need new strings on my Clement bass. I use it for jazz and classic rock. I'd like to try a set of La Bella strings, as I've heard good things. I'm leaning towards the Super Steps, but I really like the way nylon-wrapped strings sound on my fretless, and I saw a bass player with nylons on his fretted and I kind of want to give it a shot... I would likely go with La Bellas in that case also. The current strings are just dead - sustain has definitely deteriorated and it is getting harder and harder to tune, as harmonics die instantly if they ring out at all. I'll be doing a complete setup when I swap strings also - the past few months' climate changes have not been kind to my intonation and action.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

On the other hand learning to do it purely with your playing technique would be a great exercise in control and feel, and also fun if you're into that kind of thing

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

baka kaba posted:

On the other hand learning to do it purely with your playing technique would be a great exercise in control and feel, and also fun if you're into that kind of thing
You can't control dynamics on a single note with technique while plucking, which Why oh why pointed out. Bass guitar is pretty poor at dynamic control in general.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 10, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh sorry, I completely misread that (I thought it was a gradual swell across all the notes) - having listened to it though, it sounds like the bass is a consistent volume, and the swells are some effect pedal being faded in on top, if it's even the bass? Sounds more like a guitar than a harmoniser on the bass... but anyway, its slow enough for the little finger volume knob thing if you want to try that. You can pluck with your thumb if you're playing with your fingers

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

CaseFace McGee posted:

I need new strings on my Clement bass. I use it for jazz and classic rock. I'd like to try a set of La Bella strings, as I've heard good things. I'm leaning towards the Super Steps, but I really like the way nylon-wrapped strings sound on my fretless, and I saw a bass player with nylons on his fretted and I kind of want to give it a shot... I would likely go with La Bellas in that case also. The current strings are just dead - sustain has definitely deteriorated and it is getting harder and harder to tune, as harmonics die instantly if they ring out at all. I'll be doing a complete setup when I swap strings also - the past few months' climate changes have not been kind to my intonation and action.

I use the nylon wrapped La Bella's and they are fantastic. The only complaint I have is that there isn't any real way to get a really sharp sound unless I use a pick. Also you might have to file the nut down just a bit for the fifth string if you use a five string like in the picture but then I'm not sure how thick the old strings were so...

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Check a live version of the song. Those swells might be studio trickery and not something he does as part of the performance. I'd check myself but I'm at work

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I would just keep one hand on the volume knob and do swells, and hammer on the frets for the notes. If you don't want the downswells in there release the fret hand just enough to mute between each note.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

why oh WHY posted:

I use the nylon wrapped La Bella's and they are fantastic. The only complaint I have is that there isn't any real way to get a really sharp sound unless I use a pick. Also you might have to file the nut down just a bit for the fifth string if you use a five string like in the picture but then I'm not sure how thick the old strings were so...

Thanks for the firsthand information. My bass has a very bright tone overall, so I can just adjust my tone knob a bit to compensate. I'll be doublechecking the nut today, an ordering shortly. Now I just need to save up for upright strings... my wallet hurts already...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

NarkyBark posted:

I would just keep one hand on the volume knob and do swells, and hammer on the frets for the notes. If you don't want the downswells in there release the fret hand just enough to mute between each note.

Well this is what I'm talking about really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EJwJvP1EiM

I guess it depends exactly where your volume knob is but I just gave it a go using my thumb to pick and it works fine - could be a little more graceful but that's what practice is for! That Slayer intro is slow enough to handle. You could do either but I think this technique is a bit more useful (you can swell chords and stuff too)

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
So this is probably babby's first impedance question but we're all kind of baffled by it over here so I thought I'd ask you guys.

I'm currently using this head through this cab. According to every source on the internet and the back of the head itself, it runs 350 watts with 4 ohms and 240 watts at 8 ohms. The cab runs at 4 ohms mono and 8 ohms stereo. What we're confused about is that both outputs on the back of the head say 8 ohms? So am I not able to run it at 4, or is it just saying what you can run it at? I feel like I'm getting all of my power when I run it mono. Also, what're the advantages to running it stereo vs. keeping it mono and holding on to all of my watts? Sorry these are all dumb questions, I just got the cab and it's the first time I've had one worth a poo poo.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Bruce Boxliker posted:

So this is probably babby's first impedance question but we're all kind of baffled by it over here so I thought I'd ask you guys.

I'm currently using this head through this cab. According to every source on the internet and the back of the head itself, it runs 350 watts with 4 ohms and 240 watts at 8 ohms. The cab runs at 4 ohms mono and 8 ohms stereo. What we're confused about is that both outputs on the back of the head say 8 ohms? So am I not able to run it at 4, or is it just saying what you can run it at? I feel like I'm getting all of my power when I run it mono. Also, what're the advantages to running it stereo vs. keeping it mono and holding on to all of my watts? Sorry these are all dumb questions, I just got the cab and it's the first time I've had one worth a poo poo.

If you read the manual for the amp, you'll see you can plug in any 4, 8, or 16 ohm speakers into those outputs, as long as the total impedance is not less than 4. The link for the cabinet isn't working for me, but there would be no advantages for your setup to be run in stereo. Even if you set the cab to stereo and ran two lines from the amp, the end result would be the same as one line mono. Is the cabinet even designed for bass guitar? Usually only guitar cabinets have stereo options.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

DrChu posted:

If you read the manual for the amp, you'll see you can plug in any 4, 8, or 16 ohm speakers into those outputs, as long as the total impedance is not less than 4. The link for the cabinet isn't working for me, but there would be no advantages for your setup to be run in stereo. Even if you set the cab to stereo and ran two lines from the amp, the end result would be the same as one line mono. Is the cabinet even designed for bass guitar? Usually only guitar cabinets have stereo options.

Sorry the link didn't work, it's an Ampeg STV-810E so yeah it's a bass cab with a stereo option. That's how I figured it worked, but we had our first practice with the cab last night and both my guitar players saw the 8 ohm output and were like "WTF it can't run 4 ohms you're gonna blow your head!" which seemed kind of bullshit to me, the setup has shown no signs of trouble yet. So I guess I just gotta tell them they're dumb!

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Bruce Boxliker posted:

So I guess I just gotta tell them they're dumb!

They are guitarists so...

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Bruce Boxliker posted:

So I guess I just gotta tell them they're dumb!

Absolutely. It's your duty and responsibility as a bassist to know more about gear than your guitar player(s). If you know more about their gear, even better!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

So, it turns out you can fit an upright bass in a 2001 Chevy Impala if you do it right... but I can't fit my current cabinet in there at the same time. I've been planning to build a small cab for easy transport for a while, and this gives me the excuse I needed. I'll be building a Jack 10 cabinet in a few weeks with my tax return, if everything goes to plan.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

CaseFace McGee posted:

So, it turns out you can fit an upright bass in a 2001 Chevy Impala if you do it right... but I can't fit my current cabinet in there at the same time. I've been planning to build a small cab for easy transport for a while, and this gives me the excuse I needed. I'll be building a Jack 10 cabinet in a few weeks with my tax return, if everything goes to plan.

Ahaha how the hell did you manage that? I have to borrow my friends truck to move mine.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

why oh WHY posted:

Ahaha how the hell did you manage that? I have to borrow my friends truck to move mine.

Fully electric seats give a few more inches of clearance - passenger seat as low as it goes, as far back as it goes, and backrest as far back as it goes. I put the driver's seat all the way forward, then load through the rear driver's door. It's crucial to have the endpin all the way in - I almost destroyed the stereo the first time I tried.

Those new strings will have to wait until my summer paychecks come in - I don't want to use the Beta 10a driver, since there's no way it will survive long with such a low xmax and high power handling, so I went with the DeltaLite 2510. Interestingly, the price difference between the speakers is almost exactly the cost of the strings.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Has anyone had any luck finding GK 800RBs anywhere besides ebay? I've been crawling craigslist and my local used/new shops but I haven't seen any anywhere. Time was there was like 5 on CL any day of the week; what happened?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

scuz posted:

Has anyone had any luck finding GK 800RBs anywhere besides ebay? I've been crawling craigslist and my local used/new shops but I haven't seen any anywhere. Time was there was like 5 on CL any day of the week; what happened?

They became discontinued and now people are snatching them up and trying to flip them. Didn't you used to have an 800RB?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

DrChu posted:

They became discontinued and now people are snatching them up and trying to flip them. Didn't you used to have an 800RB?
Still do, and I'm never giving it up. Reason I'm asking for one is because a buddy of mine is finally trying to upgrade from his 50-watt Peavey TKO. There's a local shop that has a 400RB which I think would cut the mustard just fine for him, and it's only $225. Just gotta get him to pull the trigger on it because it's been sitting in that shop for a month now and I have that gear anxiety where I just know someone's gonna snatch it up before he does :ohdear:

Thanks for the info, Dr :)

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

why oh WHY posted:

In High School, I used to drive to upright bass lessons with the (covered) headpiece sticking out of the back window of the '92 Camry.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Elephunk posted:

In High School, I used to drive to upright bass lessons with the (covered) headpiece sticking out of the back window of the '92 Camry.

I drive a crappy (its actually not that bad other than the size) Hyundai Accent and it is way too small to fit an upright in no matter what kind of finagling I attempt with the seats, hell I can't even fit more than two people in the freaking thing if I have all of my electric gear.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Small cars work fine if you have a hatchback and seats that can fold down. I played probably 100 upright gigs in college with my old 1990 240SX hatch. The head rested right between the front seats.

If you own a bass you should probably not own a car with a trunk.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
from experience, you can fit a 3/4 upright into the back row of most mid-sized sedans. i put mine in the back of a Volvo S70 more than once.

js86
Jul 22, 2012
So I decided to buy one of these:

I'll have a review available as soon as I get it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

js86 posted:

What does it do?

js86
Jul 22, 2012

Scarf posted:

What does it do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyJUBKEohas

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

js86 posted:

gently caress yeah! I have a B3K on the way, should be here Wednesday.

Step one in my Great 2013 Rig Rebuild. :ninja:

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I have a B3K as well, it's pretty much replaced my Agro rack as my goto OD/distortion.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Wow, I've never seen those before. I want to try a B7K. Shame there doesn't seem to be any near me anywhere.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Anybody tried the Rotosound PSD99 "piano string" bass strings? Just ordered a set, so I'll give a review with sound clips.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Any suggestions for a decent acoustic bass guitar? I want a bass I can take when travelling without worrying about plugging into an amp.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ibntumart posted:

Any suggestions for a decent acoustic bass guitar? I want a bass I can take when travelling without worrying about plugging into an amp.

Most acoustic basses don't sound very good. I've tried and enjoyed a Taylor acoustic bass, a Boulder Creek acoustic bass, and a Tacoma. The BC was the loudest, the Tacoma sounded the best to me, and the Taylor felt the best. It's best to go out and try some at your local music store, though. You never know what might sound good to your ears.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

ibntumart posted:

Their bodies are too small to jam unplugged, so you'll pretty much be limited to playing alone with a tiny audience if any

But there are plenty of good ones out there. The Tacoma Thunderchief is one of the best, but it's out of production so you'll have to find one used.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Most acoustic basses don't sound very good. I've tried and enjoyed a Taylor acoustic bass, a Boulder Creek acoustic bass, and a Tacoma. The BC was the loudest, the Tacoma sounded the best to me, and the Taylor felt the best. It's best to go out and try some at your local music store, though. You never know what might sound good to your ears.

Your local music store has acoustic basses? I have never seen a fretless bass at a local music store, much less an acoustic.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

ibntumart posted:

What about a headphone amp instead? I use one of these when I travel:

http://www.amazon.com/Vox-AmPlug-Bass-Guitar-Headphone/dp/B001GH4H3W

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

CaseFace McGee posted:

Your local music store has acoustic basses? I have never seen a fretless bass at a local music store, much less an acoustic.

They're usually with the acoustic guitars in my experience. Also depends on the store. I guess people buy them. :shrug:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

TopherCStone posted:

Their bodies are too small to jam unplugged, so you'll pretty much be limited to playing alone with a tiny audience if any

But there are plenty of good ones out there. The Tacoma Thunderchief is one of the best, but it's out of production so you'll have to find one used.

This would just be for me to tool around on solo while I'm visiting family or away for a weekend, so not having a very loud sound would be fine. I keep coming across praise for the Thunderchief, but they seem kind of pricey.

beefnoodle posted:

What about a headphone amp instead? I use one of these when I travel:

I have one for my electric guitar, actually, but I discovered I don't enjoy playing through it. I don't enjoy playing with headphones on generally, though, especially if I'm trying to play along to a song or practice measures on my iPhone.

CaseFace McGee posted:

I haven't seen any at my local music store either.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

Hello bass megathread.

I play for a Greek band and am looking for a new amp to gig with.

At the moment, I'm just going through our PA, and I have to be really quiet or else it just overloads and turns off.

At the moment, I'm looking at either:

promethean P5210 2x10 500w combo or Ashdown Mag 300 and an Ashdown 4x10 cab

I'm going to be putting an Epiphone Thunderbird through whatever I get.

Looking for a really warm, reasonant tone. The bass is the part you should 'feel' in order to dance in time.

I'm just wondering if any (or either) are terrible or something - I'm quite new to all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

So my Rotosound "piano" strings came in today. They are a bitch and a half to put on, because you need to measure and install the ball-ends. My hands hurt. Definitely requires an adjustment in setup too because the strings are way too low (though if I were John Entwistle they'd probably be just right)