Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

quote:

ARANEA: You would think 8eing a8le to sense the occasional attraction from others would 8e advantageous, and inspire confidence in yourself.
ARANEA: And it is nice when that happens, sure.
ARANEA: 8ut then, you feel the negative emotions directed at you as well.
ARANEA: And even if they are less common than the positive ones, you have a way of dwelling on them, and magnifying them far 8eyond their real significance.
ARANEA: It's funny how an a8ility that should give you all the advantages in the world over others can lead you to feel worse a8out yourself than if you never had them.
ARANEA: You put all your energy into thinking a8out people with the 8ad feelings a8out you instead of the good, and you try your 8est to fix things.
ARANEA: 8ut usually it just gets worse. People think you are over8earing and needy, and they don't understand what it is you want from them.
ARANEA: I can see why it can drive some with my a8ilities to a8use the powers.
ARANEA: Fortunately I was a8le to resist the temptation.
JAKE: So there are people on your planet who do that?
ARANEA: On the world I was from, it was rare. Only a few criminals and outcasts would.
ARANEA: 8ut in the second iteration I mentioned, it was commonplace. Like I said, things were very different.
ARANEA: In my world though, the higher castes have a lot of responsi8ilities. It wouldn't 8e right to a8use my powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

And if the story has any consistency at all, the next few updates should have John doing or saying something because occasional flights to the contrary, he is still the protagonist and a smart guy, and he is going to have some reaction to MASSIVE INFO DUMP.

Either that or he is about to wake up.

My favorite part is that John didn't say a word until leprechauns were brought up. I can just imagine him only half-paying attention but he hears "LEPRECHAUNS???" and just gets all excited.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

IUG fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 17, 2013

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

IUG posted:

Alright, using that guide and having VLC export the audio is making it a lot faster to import the movie into iMovie. Now I just have to figure out how to locate all the Disembodio bits and clip them out.

Swing and a miss.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

nerdbot posted:

My favorite part is that John didn't say a word until leprechauns were brought up. I can just imagine him only half-paying attention but he hears "LEPRECHAUNS???" and just gets all excited.

I like to think of that as his breaking point.

Giant space snake/dragon/crocodile beastly sex? Sure, whatever.
A session based on Pool terminology? Well that's to be expected.
Leprechauns? Hold on, ghost lady, now we're just getting silly.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IUG posted:

Alright, using that guide and having VLC export the audio is making it a lot faster to import the movie into iMovie. Now I just have to figure out how to locate all the Disembodio bits and clip them out.

Now I'm imagining Homestuck Rifftrax.

Probably not a very good idea.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

PleasingFungus posted:

Now I'm imagining Homestuck Rifftrax.

Probably not a very good idea.

You mean every Homestuck liveblog ever?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Feranon posted:

Why do all the villainous characters (except maybe LE) have to be so drat endearing? :allears:

It's a key part of fiction in general to make the antagonists subtly admirable in some respect, as people need to connect with them and their flaws almost more than the protagonists.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

You know, some of Aranea's descriptions of LE held a level of fascination bordering on admiration. Between that, this last panel, and the way pretty much all the other trolls treat her, I have this nasty suspicion that she may not actually be on the "good" team.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

BTW did anybody want an avatar of the low-bit musicians from that interfishin flash?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This line made me wonder if Aranea actually knew Vriska was being sarcastic from the start as well (unlike how some people figured she didn't realize until the end or something), since it seemed like she was calling her out.

quote:

ARANEA: You helped me finally understand the virtue in rationalizing questiona8le decisions, and 8ehaving unscrupulously for the gr8ter good!

That, or Aranea has absolutely no self-awareness, which I suppose would make her a true Serket.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Guys I think maybe, maybe, the person who literally cannot stop perceiving the emotions of those around her might be able to detect sarcasm.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Freudian posted:

Guys I think maybe, maybe, the person who literally cannot stop perceiving the emotions of those around her might be able to detect sarcasm.

It's Vriska, she's got the same mindpowers.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

e: whoops

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Tunicate posted:

It's Vriska, she's got the same mindpowers.

We haven't seen any evidence for Vriska having any empathy at all, let alone empathic superpowers.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Freudian posted:

We haven't seen any evidence for Vriska having any empathy at all, let alone empathic superpowers.

Vriska's got pretty much the same powers as Aranea, and I think part of the point behind Aranea's schpiel about empaths coming off as overbearing is meant to explain the rationale behind Vriska's cringeworthy attempts at making up with people after she's hosed them over. For instance, that awful "I'll mind control someone to make sure there's bugs in your food" conversation.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Rereading stuff, I wonder how what Hussie said to Caliborn meshes with what Aranea is telling the group about cherubs...

quote:

See, you cherubs are predisposed to love all this trickster crap. All that goofy squeaky candy coated nonsense is a critical part of your people's mythos.

I'm having a hard time picturing a completely solitary society or giant space snakes going for squeaky hammers. And, for that matter, what about the implied world of cherubs that the Zilly____ weapons come from? Either Aranea is completely wrong (see also: confusing Gamzee's interference with a cabal of followers) or there's something larger going on.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Seoinin posted:

Vriska's got pretty much the same powers as Aranea, and I think part of the point behind Aranea's schpiel about empaths coming off as overbearing is meant to explain the rationale behind Vriska's cringeworthy attempts at making up with people after she's hosed them over. For instance, that awful "I'll mind control someone to make sure there's bugs in your food" conversation.

I never picked up anything like that. If Vriska were an empath, I'm sure she would have mentioned it at some point, especially after meeting Aranea.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It could just be that she grew up in a society where nobody trains you how to be empathic with your weird-o alien psi powers.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cabbit posted:

It could just be that she grew up in a society where nobody trains you how to be empathic with your weird-o alien psi powers.

So you're saying that she could be an empath, but isn't? Wouldn't that just be the same as not being one? :confused:

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman
A long time ago, somebody posted a link to a website that had a list of every song in Homestuck. It also said what songs a certain song stemmed from. For example, "Karkat's Theme" stems from "Crustacean" and "Black" stems from "Liquid Negrocity." If anybody knows what website I'm talking about, could you please post a link to it?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ariong posted:

I never picked up anything like that. If Vriska were an empath, I'm sure she would have mentioned it at some point, especially after meeting Aranea.

She mentions at some point that Karkat's mind is like a dumpster or something like that.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Doug Rattman posted:

A long time ago, somebody posted a link to a website that had a list of every song in Homestuck. It also said what songs a certain song stemmed from. For example, "Karkat's Theme" stems from "Crustacean" and "Black" stems from "Liquid Negrocity." If anybody knows what website I'm talking about, could you please post a link to it?

Googling "homestuck remix list" gets you right there.

Seoinin posted:

She mentions at some point that Karkat's mind is like a dumpster or something like that.

Yep! That was a good conversation.

quote:

CG: YOU CAN'T CONTROL ME.
AG: Sure I can. I just choose not to.
CG: YEAH OK.
AG: I find your mind totally unpalata8le to 8rowse. Looking into your 8rain is like pawing through a smelly dumpster.
AG: Full of 8roken glass and razor 8lades!
AG: And poop. D::::

It's funny, because, poop.

Of course, that's a very different mind-invasion experience than the one Aranea outlines to Jake, so who knows?

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman

PleasingFungus posted:

Googling "homestuck remix list" gets you right there.

I didn't think to google that. Thank you

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Seoinin posted:

There's a difference between being able to read and/or control people's minds at will and always picking up on the emotions of everyone around you whether you like it or not.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Ariong posted:

So you're saying that she could be an empath, but isn't? Wouldn't that just be the same as not being one? :confused:

I'm saying being telepathic is like having hands. Some people train to become surgeons, some people train to become MMA fighters. Doesn't mean one doesn't have the capacity to be the other, but gently caress if they know how to do it without the right training.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think that's undermined a little by the fact that Arenea has no control over it, let alone being able to train it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Possibly, though it's also possible that empathy is just hammered out of Alternian trolls by whatever environment teaches them to use their weird-o mutant talents.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Also presumably Beforan trolls have an actual functional society, what with all the adults around, whereas Alternian kids are raised in isolation, and have to build their own hives as a form of cultural sburb training Doc Scratch subjected the species to. Hell, aside from FLARPing the only other troll I think she was ever anywhere near physically, and who wasn't being marched off into the jaws of spidermom and thus were probably pissing themselves in terror, empath or no, was Equius.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 18, 2013

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

And really, it would make sense for her to learn to close herself off from such STRONG feelings.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Can't we all just say

Thank you, Vriska.

Thriska.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

You know what might be cool? If Vriska's influence on Aranea causes her to go Full Mindfang at some point, and Vriska is on the receiving end of whatever horrible thing Aranea dreams up as necessary. You know, one of the only avenues of character growth Vriska hasn't tried (and failed) at yet is getting a taste of her own medicine.

Maybe she'll go to work for Lord English once they find beta-Calliope/the treasure? I've been hoping other troll players would end up working for him, now that we know Gamzee, Damara (I think?), Kurloz and (unwittingly) Meulin are. Aradia's always been a popular candidate, and Eridan surely would if he wasn't miles away from plot-relevant, but Aranea might make for an interesting choice.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

My thought process as I looked at this update:

"Huh...Terezi doesn't look so good...dang...Karkat...oh let me take another look at that last panel anSHIIIIIT"

My brain has become a liveblog.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Wellllllllllllllllllllllp! :stare:

Congratulations to all who called that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nerdbot posted:

My thought process as I looked at this update:

"Huh...Terezi doesn't look so good...dang...Karkat...oh let me take another look at that last panel anSHIIIIIT"

My brain has become a liveblog.

Mine was more along the lines of "Who is that troll? The horns kinda look like Terezi, but there are eyes... Oh wait."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What.

EDIT: What.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 18, 2013

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
That was oddly abrupt but okay, sure, why the gently caress not?

Insane Clown Theory: Aranea's already snapped and forcibly healed Terezi.

Action Shakespeare fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 18, 2013

Crump Rocknubs
Sep 14, 2007

Maybe grind on some shit.

DaveKap posted:

BTW did anybody want an avatar of the low-bit musicians from that interfishin flash?

I need to unload my current avatar since I am not actually a brony, and I am sort of thinking the new one should be Sollux slowly falling down the companionway. Unless someone already has dibs on this work of art, that is.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know, with the way Aranea's been shown to have changed since we first met her, she might have decided she knew better than Terezi and restored her sight anyway.

Seriously though Terezi you ain't lookin' good, get thee to a hot shower asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Oh no oh no Terezi!! :ohdear: