Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I know you are all up in that Kaiserreich poo poo, but don't forget ye ole Wiz LP'd http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?565808-Hegemonia-An-Alternate-History-Mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Vodos posted:

I started a Kaissereich game as Japan and since I knew the Korean revolution was coming, I moved all my ground forces over there to be able to quickly deal with it. Once it happened, all my troops dropped to 0 org and just died on contact :argh:. Is that intended? Do I have to stick them all into Port Arthur and move from there?

That's definitely a bug- every single game I've played the Korean rebellion is knocked out within a month or two. Maybe their supply got cut off? Try putting them at the borders of Korean-held territory.

Beamed posted:

I can confirm your hypothesis about Kaiserreich's original developer - I associated with him on another forum and he basically threw his hands up and quit after awhile, and everyone else on the dev team began to argue about "[his] vision" and other such silly stuff. But yeah, it basically left it without a compass - which is a shame, since obviously the current team can still do very well.

Interesting. When did he quit and why?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I had my armies that were stationed in the middle of Korea all get teleported to the strategic deployment pool, heading for Japan.

After that I just deployed them in the north and southern parts of Korea.

Didn't help with the incredibly bugged Fengtien and Transamur rebellions though (still haven't figured out how to fix that, so I just turned down the AI likelyhood of them picking that option).

Thinking I'll just go and make my own Ottoman revival event chains.

First a general event to pick path / AI selection. Something like
A) Maximum Ottoman: Ambitious Revival path.
B) Modernizers! Peaceful democracy development path.
C) Corruption and Decadence! Basically the current poo poo-path.

e: Haha, all the Ottoman events are stuffed inside the "Middle East" file that lies in the "Africa" Folder.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 18, 2013

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I seem to have broken Japan's expansion event chain. I picked messing with China first when the option came up. When the railway incident happened, I picked territory and they gave it. Then nothing happened for years, so I eventually declared war manually in 42, conquered Qing and released National China through the event. I'm now up to 45 and nothing has happened.
Looking at the event file, I'd need to occupy both Bejing and Guilin. The problem is that Guilin is part of the AOG and there's no more Qing to eat that territory. I remember Qing just annexing the AOG at some point from previous games but it didn't happen in this game. National China annexed the countries around the AOG but seems to ignore the AOG itself.
The script says control = { province = 1247 data = -3 } while other control parameters look like control = { province = 1726 data = GER }. WTF is data = -3?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Vodos posted:

I seem to have broken Japan's expansion event chain. I picked messing with China first when the option came up. When the railway incident happened, I picked territory and they gave it. Then nothing happened for years, so I eventually declared war manually in 42, conquered Qing and released National China through the event. I'm now up to 45 and nothing has happened.
Looking at the event file, I'd need to occupy both Bejing and Guilin. The problem is that Guilin is part of the AOG and there's no more Qing to eat that territory. I remember Qing just annexing the AOG at some point from previous games but it didn't happen in this game. National China annexed the countries around the AOG but seems to ignore the AOG itself.
The script says control = { province = 1247 data = -3 } while other control parameters look like control = { province = 1726 data = GER }. WTF is data = -3?

According to the comments in other event files, data= -3 means that you or any of your allies have to control the province.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

e: Haha, all the Ottoman events are stuffed inside the "Middle East" file that lies in the "Africa" Folder.

When you find someone who can explain why that is, see if they can also explain why the giant loving oil fields of Azerbaijan are completely independent with three aggressive and expansionist neighbors surrounding them. Maybe its just because I'm taking a class on the history of oil right now, but I really, really doubt someone would not have tried to secure them.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I believe Azerbaijan's Independence is guaranteed by Mitteleuropa, even if thats not stated explicitly in game.

Until you try and invade as Russia, that is. If I recall correctly, you need German assent.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Westminster System posted:

Until you try and invade as Russia, that is. If I recall correctly, you need German assent.

You need German assent for annexing Don-Kuban, but you can just straight up declare war and take Baku and nobody cares. Alternatively you can buy out the oil company and annex them that way.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Kavak posted:

When you find someone who can explain why that is, see if they can also explain why the giant loving oil fields of Azerbaijan are completely independent with three aggressive and expansionist neighbors surrounding them. Maybe its just because I'm taking a class on the history of oil right now, but I really, really doubt someone would not have tried to secure them.
That, or practically every significant power should guarantee independence to make sure their own flow of oil doesn't stop. The largest oil field in the world should definitely be a point of contention.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

BBJoey posted:

You need German assent for annexing Don-Kuban, but you can just straight up declare war and take Baku and nobody cares. Alternatively you can buy out the oil company and annex them that way.

Is this a reference to a specific event? I've never seen that one.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

That, or practically every significant power should guarantee independence to make sure their own flow of oil doesn't stop. The largest oil field in the world should definitely be a point of contention.

Yeah, basically this. The problem is that if the Caucasus is that heavily locked down, Georgia has jack poo poo to do until Armenia breaks away from the Ottomans and the whole "Trans-Caucasian Republic" is hopeless. Maybe there should be an event after you conquer it where you have to agree to keep the oil concessions the Azeris had or face German arms?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
As an American, it really feels like Kaiserreich's American Civil War Part Deux is currently being worked on by people who know nothing about American history and culture (but we have none, tee hee) aside from through hasty Wikipedia links. There was a topic on the forums about partitioning the USA if Canada intervened and won, and they wanted to use a retagged AUS as the CSA. For whatever reason, a bigwig went on a hissy fit about NO CSA BLARGH WE AGREED NONE RAAAGH :bahgawd:. Two things, though: 1) Neoconfederate sentiment was pretty high at the time, so it's more plausible than half the poo poo in the mod, and 2) if you're going to split up the US under regionalism rather than ideology and you don't want the CSA to exist, what the hell are you going to do when you get to the South?

Also, the AUS is described in the text as being "corporatist" and wanting a unified, not federalized state. This would mean an effective end to state's rights. There's no way in hell the South would suddenly want to join them. I know they wanted to make the AUS useful, but from a historical perspective there's no good reason that the South would support a corporatist regime– maybe a KKK backed fascist group, but not a technocratic one focused on state power. Plus, half their ministers are New Englanders and businessmen.

I'd just have them come to power through a dodgy electoral deal like with most fascists, make their tyranny known have them institute their reforms, and then just have a PSA vs. CSA vs. AUS civil war (or even have them replace the PSA as the western revolters). AUS has really seemed like the odd man out, and maybe it would be best if it wasn't always going to be a four-way fight but instead the situation and battlefield depends on how the election pans out.

By the way, if anyone here's still in contact with the Kaiserreich guys, I've heard they're going to revamp southeast asia soon, and I think I found something that might make it work a bit better:

Apparently there was historically an organization called the Viet Nam Quoc Dan Dang, or "Vietnamese Kuomintang," that existed during the period and lasted until the Fall of Saigon. In history, they were laughably incompetent and never gained much power unlike the Communists, but seeing that the KMT kind of acts as a more revolutionary force in this timeline after they reestablish the Republic of China, it might be a more fitting thing to replace the Syndicalists in Vietnam with these guys (or have them in a united front together or something), so if someone could forward this to them that would be great. Plus, it lets the Chinese have a working ally against German imperialism from the get go.

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 19, 2013

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Spiderfist Island posted:

As an American, it really feels like Kaiserreich's American Civil War Part Deux is currently being worked on by people who know nothing about American history and culture (but we have none, tee hee) aside from through hasty Wikipedia links. (SNIP)

Fully agreed- in fact, I'm pretty sure you're the guy I saw make those points and get threatened with the ban hammer in very bad English. I know this is kind of petty especially in regards to how legislatures in the rest of the world are presented, but I also think the modders don't know that much about the structure of the U.S. government- most of the programs that Long or Reed push would be filibustered to death if they even managed to make it out of the House, and yet they just happen anyway, at speeds unseen in legislative history. I'm not asking for a Congressional deadlock simulation, but if an ideology that radical had the seats to pass its programs pretty much unhindered, the country's not divided enough for a full-scale, multi-sided civil war. Maybe something lighter like the coup event chains in Brazil?

quote:

By the way, if anyone here's still in contact with the Kaiserreich guys, I've heard they're going to revamp southeast asia soon, and I think I found something that might make it work a bit better:

Apparently there was historically an organization called the Viet Nam Quoc Dan Dang, or "Vietnamese Kuomintang," that existed during the period and lasted until the Fall of Saigon. In history, they were laughably incompetent and never gained much power unlike the Communists, but seeing that the KMT kind of acts as a more revolutionary force in this timeline after they reestablish the Republic of China, it might be a more fitting thing to replace the Syndicalists in Vietnam with these guys (or have them in a united front together or something), so if someone could forward this to them that would be great. Plus, it lets the Chinese have a working ally against German imperialism from the get go.

Eh, with the Bhartiya Commune so close by, anti-Colonial sentiment is going to be Syndicalist flavored. I know they only really took the name, but since the Kuomintang got crushed by the Germans while the revolution in Bengal shattered the Raj and has thrived over the past decade, they're going to be fairly discredited, and may even be in a worse spot then our timeline.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Alright, I'm tried of fighting retard colonial wars because I'm a part of the Shaman religion. How do I convert? I know I have to force the conversion somehow through warring, but what do I need to do exactly? Or is there a console command I can use?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

JGBeagle posted:

Alright, I'm tried of fighting retard colonial wars because I'm a part of the Shaman religion. How do I convert? I know I have to force the conversion somehow through warring, but what do I need to do exactly?

You need to have the western_influences modifier, and have a neighbor that is western + one of catholic/protestant/reformed. It has a MTTH of 5000 months, so it's pretty loving rare.

JGBeagle posted:

Or is there a console command I can use?

decision convert_to_catholic

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Kavak posted:

Is this a reference to a specific event? I've never seen that one.
As part of the Baku Oil Fields decision, you can stage a takeover of the Baku Oil Concern, thereby making Azerbaijan a puppet (because apparently the Oil Concern is meant to be a Really Big Deal in Azerbaijani politics). Later you get an event to incorporate them in to the greater Russian state and annex them.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

BBJoey posted:

As part of the Baku Oil Fields decision, you can stage a takeover of the Baku Oil Concern, thereby making Azerbaijan a puppet (because apparently the Oil Concern is meant to be a Really Big Deal in Azerbaijani politics). Later you get an event to incorporate them in to the greater Russian state and annex them.

Ah, figured it was Russia. Still, it seems like oil is really underemphasized in Darkest Hour- even as the United States I don't recall exporting that much of it. Either consumption rates for units should be adjusted or it should be another source of fuel for IC- like, maybe 1/4 a unit of oil per IC?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

SeaTard posted:

You need to have the western_influences modifier, and have a neighbor that is western + one of catholic/protestant/reformed. It has a MTTH of 5000 months, so it's pretty loving rare.

decision convert_to_catholic

Thanks. It's 1606 and I'm fully westernized save for that. I wouldn't care if people couldn't just declare war on me whenever.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Kavak posted:

Ah, figured it was Russia. Still, it seems like oil is really underemphasized in Darkest Hour- even as the United States I don't recall exporting that much of it. Either consumption rates for units should be adjusted or it should be another source of fuel for IC- like, maybe 1/4 a unit of oil per IC?
Yeah, I've never felt any pressing need for oil in any of my DH playthroughs. I might have been operating at an oil deficit when I was playing Germany in vanilla and had just invaded Russia, but by that point I had something like enough oil to last me for two or three years, more than enough to seize enough oil from the Russians to break even.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Kavak posted:

It's probably because no-one manages to upgrade their units, much less build a significant force of motorised or armoured divisions.

JGBeagle posted:

Thanks. It's 1606 and I'm fully westernized save for that. I wouldn't care if people couldn't just declare war on me whenever.

Holy wars go away on their own in 1650 so you might not need to convert if you can hold out that long!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Yeah, I've never felt any pressing need for oil in any of my DH playthroughs. I might have been operating at an oil deficit when I was playing Germany in vanilla and had just invaded Russia, but by that point I had something like enough oil to last me for two or three years, more than enough to seize enough oil from the Russians to break even.

Okay, yeah, that's definitely not right. At this point I'm tempted to look at how much oil you can build up as Japan if you start in 1933 or 1936 and see if the American embargo has any noticeable effect.

YF-23 posted:

It's probably because no-one manages to upgrade their units, much less build a significant force of motorised or armoured divisions.

Though I still want to tie oil directly to IC, you've got a point. Is oil more precious in HoI 3 where you can have shittons of those?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Honestly it feels that in the 1936 scenarios, it's just not worth IC building. Given all the dissent you have to initially clear or get later, you can't really get a stable period for construction.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

SkySteak posted:

Honestly it feels that in the 1936 scenarios, it's just not worth IC building. Given all the dissent you have to initially clear or get later, you can't really get a stable period for construction.

Pretty much- unless you're the United States or the Soviet Union, don't bother, and even then you'll still want to focus on expanding your navy and air force.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Kavak posted:

Pretty much- unless you're the United States or the Soviet Union, don't bother, and even then you'll still want to focus on expanding your navy and air force.

Even the SU? Do you just build a only a few factories while you pay down the Great Purge dissent with the rest of your IC?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

YF-23 posted:

Holy wars go away on their own in 1650 so you might not need to convert if you can hold out that long!

The CB for non-pagans against pagans will last the whole game, though, but I think you can disable it by removing the "annex = yes" line in religion.txt. Converting through the console would probably be best, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kavak posted:

Okay, yeah, that's definitely not right. At this point I'm tempted to look at how much oil you can build up as Japan if you start in 1933 or 1936 and see if the American embargo has any noticeable effect.

AFAIK it's kind of a thing since the original HOI that any sort of historical resource shortage can be managed by just stockpiling enough of the stuff pre-war.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

AFAIK it's kind of a thing since the original HOI that any sort of historical resource shortage can be managed by just stockpiling enough of the stuff pre-war.

One of the few things that I will admit HOI3 gets really right is that Germany has to work hard to build up a resource stockpile pre-war, and that stockpile will start to diminish once the war starts. The game puts you on a time limit to grab resources.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Alchenar posted:

One of the few things that I will admit HOI3 gets really right is that Germany has to work hard to build up a resource stockpile pre-war, and that stockpile will start to diminish once the war starts. The game puts you on a time limit to grab resources.

That'd be easy to correct just by dropping the possible stockpile levels, though I don't know how the AI would deal with it.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So in my Darkest Hour game, as the US, Germany has managed to actually destroy the USSR by the Summer of 1942. Before that, the Soviet Union launched a coup on Finland and turned it communist. Meanwhile Japan has managed to annex China and declared war on me a year earlier than historical on me. If this game wasn't hosed up enough, the Germans launched an attack through East Africa. I'm sorry but what the gently caress is wrong with this game? I've never seen the Axis do this well and It feels like I'm playing in some sort of horrifying fascist, alt history wank fiction. :psyduck:

Edit: I forgot one province Communist China declaring war on Germany in response to the attack on Norway. :china:

Skillness622
Apr 9, 2009
Here's a question for you guys: Has anyone managed to successfully import a CK2+ save into any version of EU3? If so, what EU3 version and with what program? I've tried CK2toEU3 from the Paradox forum and that gets as far as converting provinces before locking up and crashing. I haven't tried doing a vanilla save yet, but the point is moot as it would be a CK2+ save I'd need to convert.

Any ideas? I have the (admittedly very unrealistic) dream of doing CK2-EU3-Vic2 once Heart of Darkness comes out.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

SkySteak posted:

So in my Darkest Hour game, as the US, Germany has managed to actually destroy the USSR by the Summer of 1942. Before that, the Soviet Union launched a coup on Finland and turned it communist. Meanwhile Japan has managed to annex China and declared war on me a year earlier than historical on me. If this game wasn't hosed up enough, the Germans launched an attack through East Africa. I'm sorry but what the gently caress is wrong with this game? I've never seen the Axis do this well and It feels like I'm playing in some sort of horrifying fascist, alt history wank fiction. :psyduck:

Edit: I forgot one province Communist China declaring war on Germany in response to the attack on Norway. :china:

Are you sure you're not the man in the high castle?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Star posted:

Are you sure you're not the man in the high castle?

I hope not. Then again if it all goes to poo poo there is always ICBMs. However I have a question:

When I research 'Massive Naval Invasion' it says 'Max Amphib Size: 7' does that mean I get penalties or some other negative modifier if I have more divisions doing a naval landing?
or

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

SkySteak posted:

I hope not. Then again if it all goes to poo poo there is always ICBMs. However I have a question:

When I research 'Massive Naval Invasion' it says 'Max Amphib Size: 7' does that mean I get penalties or some other negative modifier if I have more divisions doing a naval landing?
or
I think it means you simply cannot attack a beachhead with 8 or more divisions.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Ofaloaf posted:

I think it means you simply cannot attack a beachhead with 8 or more divisions.

No, it just means your troops lose 10% combat effectiveness for every division more than your max amphib size you have in a naval landing. So, you're still better off with a couple more divisions than that limit (8 or 9 will be a whopping couple of percent more effective than 7 if you have Massive Naval Invasion) because while each division will be less effective you'll gain some benefit from having more, but going much beyond the max is unwise.

Also, you've probably guessed this, but don't send tank, motorised or cavalry units into an amphibious assault, they'll get slaughtered.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Imma point out that since TFH you can research landing craft and assault ships to do just that in HoI3 :v:

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Speaking of, which out of HoI 2 and 3 is more accessible?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'd say Darkest Hour is the most accessible. The only downside is it's an EU2 game but it's still way better than dealing with HoI3's nonsense.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
HOI3 with all DLC is drat fun.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

HOI3 continues to be absolute rubbish. Darkest Hour is the way to go.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
For first timers, I feel both HoI2 and 3 are nigh impenetrable in terms of finding out what you need to build, what you should research, how to balance your research vs construction vs officers vs espionage, etc. I've even tried just playing as any country and losing a bunch to slowly learn what to do but I can never figure out what it is that caused me to lose; did I not build enough? Behind on research? Espionage more? Or was this just doomed to fail?

That aside, I find HoI3 more user friendly. I still have no idea if I at what point I need to stop building up IC or when I need to research infantry tech or if I need bombers or tanks or cavalry or what, but at least I navigate the menus to a game over screen easier :v:.

Although I have managed to learn to play V2 and have no idea how to play V1 so maybe I just am better at clunkier games with smoother UIs :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Baloogan posted:

HOI3 with all DLC is drat fun.

I much prefer DH but yeah at this point a huge amount of work has gone into HoI3 and it's a shitload better than it was at release or anything.

That said, gently caress playing with anything except the Random World mod and has that even been updated for the current expac?

• Locked thread