Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

great series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just like playing at home. Don't see why they bothered with the warm up game.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
We're not going to last the session, aren't we?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
How ironic. Hughes' batting well, gets done by a decision equally as bad as his batting before this innings. Literally one of the worst LBW decisions ever

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

serious gaylord posted:

The players havent even bothered to go to the ground today.

New Zealand have escaped the lucky sods.

I predicted 3-0 to NZ pre series but forgot to factor in England getting saved by the rain twice in 2 games. Disappointing for NZ but 1-0 will have to do.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think Australia have done enough to get a draw here.

Shocking batting in this innings though.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Watson is on a plane back to India, Smith made enough runs that we'll be stuck with him for a while, Hughes made runs and Haddin has the second top score in the second innings so we'll probably be stuck with him again too. Could this series get any worse?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Im imagining the massive climb down Clarke and Arthur are going to have to do to those players they chucked after this test and its making me happy

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Holy poo poo that decision against Hughes was bad. I mean, we shouldn't be in this bad a position anyway, but that probably lost us the test.

All our players suck and we have no good shield batsmen who aren't either old (Rogers), fat (Cosgrove) or Ricky Ponting.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Apparently Michael Clarke has time to tweet about some milo kids bullshit during a test (or his minders thought is was a good idea).

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What are the going odds on a Ponting recall?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

Apparently Michael Clarke has time to tweet about some milo kids bullshit during a test (or his minders thought is was a good idea).

Well you have to do something between milquetoast batting displays.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

What are the going odds on a Ponting recall?

Longer than a Shane Warne recall.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Starc has the 3rd highest batting average in this team.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

That might mean something in a better team.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

And this is why test cricket rules. You can play for 5 days, be rained out for one of them, and still end of with a nail biter with one session left. How slowly can the Aussies bowl until 3:30? (apparently after then, they have to bowl 15 overs no matter what).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just throw the bat and get it done you chucklefucks.

edit - Ok, Dhoni is apparently now playing for the draw.

goatface fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 18, 2013

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

So err, is India going to try and win this already or just putz around?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

goatface posted:

Just throw the bat and get it done you chucklefucks.

edit - Ok, Dhoni is apparently now playing for the draw.
Goodness only knows what Tendulkar must be thinking at the other end.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's probably thinking about what he'll have for dinner.

edit - See, immediately gave away the strike. He's giving no fucks.

goatface fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 18, 2013

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

When was the last time Australia lost in a whitewash?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

loving Dhoni. He'd rather draw than take even the tiniest chance of losing. He must think himself a giant amongst midgets, so little is his trust in those under him in the order. What a steaming sack of poo poo.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

loving Dhoni. He'd rather draw than take even the tiniest chance of losing. He must think himself a giant amongst midgets, so little is his trust in those under him in the order. What a steaming sack of poo poo.

Why would he bother? They have the series tied up if Australia don't win here.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

4liters posted:

Why would he bother? They have the series tied up if Australia don't win here.
I dunno, all the talk about a revenge whitewash after the first test of the England series makes me think they're rather like to attempt the same thing to Australia.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I don't get how someone who can attack the ball so well can be so conservative. Yes, there are situations where digging in and blocking it out are necessary, but this isn't it. Maybe he wants to be there at the end so he can take all the glory with a last ball 6.

At least Tendulkar went for it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jadeja's having none of it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

4liters posted:

When was the last time Australia lost in a whitewash?

How many days was it since the past game?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Cricket is such a great sport.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Doctor Cave posted:

Maybe he wants to be there at the end so he can take all the glory with a last ball 6.

Oh look what happened.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Well thats the end of that.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

He just wanted a stump.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Closer than I ever expected we'd get, but annoying that we're going to carry so much dead weight in the Ashes.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

How long did Australia's poo poo 80s run last?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't risk putting the pressure on someone else. Had to make the dangerous attacking fours right then for the good of the team.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Vando posted:

Oh look what happened.

That's so Dhoni! :v:

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

How long did Australia's poo poo 80s run last?

Err, by my shoddy memory maybe 1980 with depths around 1985 to a slow build-up to 1988 or so. Definitely was not poo poo trending to awesome from 1989 onwards.

Thing is you had the impact of rebel tours and bans which really hurt Australia (And England at times too) - Terry Alderman being a case in point. Also didn't help that the Calypso Kings were just dominating everything and anything with such a swagger you really couldn't hate.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I find Dhoni's "its cool bro, I'll stay till the last ball...I got this" attitude insufferable. He's hailed as the best limited overs finisher, but everyone conveniently seems to forget the instances where he comes in at RRR 6.0, scores 10 off 30 and gets out and the team loses. They just remember the times he hits a last ball 6 or hits a flurry of boundaries after leaving it to the end.
You can't plan around being there till the last ball and starting dreadfully slow based on that plan. You get a good ball, or a bad decision and suddenly you leave your team with a much higher RRR than when you came in.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Australia's test ranking is a false position. My rankings are far closer to reality:

South Africa
England
Pakistan
India
Australia
New Zealand
West Indies
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

Ric Finlay ‏@RicFinlay

.@Matt_Donaldson 1st time in hist a side has lost a 5-day Test after scoring 400+ and a day is lost to rain.

The team just wanted to lose so that they could be remembered for something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Well in the previous test they were the first team to lose by an innings after declaring in the first innings.

Australia: history making.

• Locked thread