Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

nny_ix posted:

I've decided to get off my lazy rear end and make a real demo for this thread but my issues are kind of e/n when it comes to doing stuff like that. I won't bore you with those details but I got my hands on an Oktava MK-319 for other video projects I'm working on and I figured gently caress it, might as well see if I can spread my name a little farther. This likely means I'll be doing work for free.

Let us know if you need input on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

illectro posted:

So I have a trailer project that I'm doing, and I was considering just recording the VO on my own since I have a pretty solid voice, but I'm interested if someone can either outdo me or at the very least maybe I'll find some pointers to make my performance better.

Only thing is this is semi-secret and the script can't go public, so I'm wondering if anyone thinks they can do a VO that starts in the style of a science documentary and ulimately transitions to an 'action packed' trailer - PM me if you get what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmorOO58KLM

:lol:

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
IS anyone besides me and King Lou in the NYC area? If so...I'm giving a seminar on voiceovers at Actors Connection on Monday, March 4th, from 12PM-2PM. The main focus of the class will be recording a voiceover demo (hence the title of the seminar), but I'll be giving a comprehensive overview of everything you'd need to get to that point and discussing a variety of things about the industry in general. The seminar is FREE and you can register for it here (and do so quickly, because these seminars do fill up fast): https://www.actorsconnection.com/seminars/7410

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

blinkeve1826 posted:

IS anyone besides me and King Lou in the NYC area? If so...I'm giving a seminar on voiceovers at Actors Connection on Monday, March 4th, from 12PM-2PM. The main focus of the class will be recording a voiceover demo (hence the title of the seminar), but I'll be giving a comprehensive overview of everything you'd need to get to that point and discussing a variety of things about the industry in general. The seminar is FREE and you can register for it here (and do so quickly, because these seminars do fill up fast): https://www.actorsconnection.com/seminars/7410

Would there be any chance of you recording the seminar and sharing it with the thread through an unlisted link or similar?

Also, how did you get involved in giving VO seminars? There's a local scammer in the area that I'd like to take down. Maybe the best way would be to compete on the same level except with actual, informative classes and practice.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

What does the scam involve?

Also cool about the seminar. Actors Connection is legit and a great resource.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

The Joe Man posted:

Would there be any chance of you recording the seminar and sharing it with the thread through an unlisted link or similar?

Also, how did you get involved in giving VO seminars? There's a local scammer in the area that I'd like to take down. Maybe the best way would be to compete on the same level except with actual, informative classes and practice.

Yeah, I should be able to do that. Though if anyone here IS in the NYC area and can make it I'd highly suggest they do that instead :)

Actually, I organized a group class/voiceover jam session a few years ago but this is my first "official" voiceover class. I initially thought to do it after I went to a less-than-stellar free seminar at AC a while back, with a guy who had been in the industry for a long time but was obviously more out of touch with it than he realized. The two main things that really bothered me were his critique and, interestingly, a lack of it; the critique he DID provide of people's reads was really vague and primarily consisted of him repeating the lines back at the person in the manner in which he wanted them read, with no explanation as to why one should do it one way or the other. However, there were some questions that were asked that he all but blew off. One woman asked about the different types of demos, and which one she should aim to do first, and his response was something along the lines of, "that's what you have to figure out". I mean, I get that it's a free class and that you want to get people to take private lessons with you, but to give no direction like that when it would have been SO simple to tell her that considering her voice type she would primarily be going out for commercial and narration work and should focus on those two, respectively...it really irked me. When it was over I walked right up to the desk and asked how I could teach a class there myself. While I don't have the 25 years of experience or whatever it was he was that he did have, I do have the knowledge of the technique and the industry that I've gathered from my own experience, and I'm hoping I can clear up some common misconceptions ("I'm thinking of doing voiceovers in my spare time, is it hard to get into?") and at least give people a better idea of where they should be going and how to get there. So both this class and that jam session I held a few years back were born of a desire to provide better information and training than that which I've seen available at a rate at which people can afford to pursue it.

I very strongly believe that group classes are THE best way for a beginner to get his or her feet wet in voiceover work, if it's an option that's available. The classes I took when I first got into VO absolutely gave me the foundation for everything I know and use today, not to mention the people I met with whom I'm still friends and a teacher I still very much look up to and learn from even now. And at $20 for a two-hour class--in which I not only learned about technique, auditioning, the industry, audio editing, etc. but also got at least half of the material I would later use on my first voiceover demo--I still can't believe what a good deal I got. I doubt there's anything like that at that price in the NYC area anymore, mind you, but I would love to hold one myself...perhaps if I enough people from this seminar are interested I can figure something out with a local studio space. Hmm...

Tinsin
Nov 3, 2012
I recorded Summerset Hills. Aside of the pop at "perfect" (I left my pop filter in the car), what critique can you give me?

http://tindeck.com/listen/cfaa

I used a Blue Yeti to record the lines, but (as I said) I didn't use a pop filter. I still don't have a good recording location found yet...

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Tinsin posted:

I recorded Summerset Hills. Aside of the pop at "perfect" (I left my pop filter in the car), what critique can you give me?

I used a Blue Yeti to record the lines, but (as I said) I didn't use a pop filter. I still don't have a good recording location found yet...

Standard disclaimer: I don't know poo poo about v/o, you are welcome to completely ignore me.

Your pacing for this was super variable. Sounds like you started drinking or something before the "Choose from dozens of single-family homes" line, it is super stretched out compared to the first three lines.

It seemed like a lot of your words were running together, were you aiming for the 30s spot when you started?

E: I don't mean for this to be discouraging or overly-harsh. From your earlier posts in the thread I assume you've actually done a little v/o work before, and I am guessing that this particular Summerset Hills read wasn't the best indicator of what you can do.

titties fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 1, 2013

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
The past few weeks I've been doing lots of audiobook narration auditions at ACX. One of them was for a high-stipend (non-royalty share) gay detective novel by an author who seems pretty established. This author decided to have a contest for readers to choose among the best 6 auditions (out of 20+) that he received. I was lucky enough to be one of those top 6. That's pretty exciting and unexpected, I'd really like to get this project.

He just put up the contest page here.

I would appreciate any feedback you guys have on my entry, which is Contest Entry #5. I am open to any advice on improving my technique, mastering, or setup. It was just one of many other auditions I dashed out quickly that day, I thought it was a longshot, but now I wish I'd polished my read a bit more.

If you think mine's one of the better reads, it'd be cool to cast a vote in the contest, too :)

Lumpen fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 4, 2013

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Lumpen posted:

The past few weeks I've been doing lots of audiobook narration auditions at ACX. One of them was for a high-stipend (non-royalty share) gay detective novel by an author who seems pretty established. This author decided to have a contest for readers to choose among the best 6 auditions (out of 20+) that he received. I was lucky enough to be one of those top 6. That's pretty exciting and unexpected, I'd really like to get this project.

He just put up the contest page here.

I would appreciate any feedback you guys have on my entry, which is Contest Entry #5. I am open to any advice on improving my technique, mastering, or setup. It was just one of many other auditions I dashed out quickly that day, I thought it was a longshot, but now I wish I'd polished my read a bit more.

If you think mine's one of the better reads, it'd be cool to cast a vote in the contest, too :)

Your read was decent and I sent an email vote. I can't believe how bad the other auditions are. That's the competition on ACX?

Tinsin posted:

I'll try to critique this when I have some time. Time's tight at the moment.

King Lou posted:

What does the scam involve?

He charges $650 for two 2hr "classes" where it's just a bunch of soccer moms & "that guy"s sitting around a classroom, watching each other read poems. At the end of the 2nd session, they record their obviously still lovely voice onto a CD and that's it.

$650

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

He charges $650 for two 2hr "classes" where it's just a bunch of soccer moms & "that guy"s sitting around a classroom, watching each other read poems. At the end of the 2nd session, they record their obviously still lovely voice onto a CD and that's it.

$650

To heck with voice acting, I wanna be an instructor! :aaa:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I've been to weeklong workshops that don't cost that much. That is the best scam in town.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

I just looked at the current prices on his website and he's since lowered them from a couple years ago. He's still raking in an absolute shitload. Oh, and he charges $1/min if you want to sit in his studio (which is actually just his basement) and listen to him make non-critical, generic observations about your crappy voice for as long as he can stretch it out.

Here's a link (tinyurl'd since I don't want to give this dude any more web presence):
http://tinyurl.com/thisterribleguy

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I got sick of local backbiting and the insane race to the bottom on internet based work a few years ago and decided to be a real boy instead, but just recently I did some ADR on a movie and it's still fun, and I like money. I checked that oDesk site out and saw absurd poo poo like a 91 thousand word book for 800 dollars. Is this an aberration or is the market even worse than I remember? My voice got a bit deeper since it got put in storage, and I want a hobby with pennies involved that I can pick up and drop at my leisure, but is it all this lovely or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

On a similar note, what's a decent rate per words for a single narrator on a piece?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

New game coming out that I'll be doing the main character's voice for: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128219358

If you use Steam, give it a thumbs up! They lowered my pitch a bit more than I'd like but I guess that's just for "dream sequences." Here was my original recording for reference:

In other news, I've finally assembled a 99% silent audio recording PC. All it took was:

1x http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-Define-Black-FD-CA-DEF-XL-R2-BL/dp/B00ATXA4TA/
1x http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpipe-Bearing-Cooler-NH-D14/dp/B002VKVZ1A/
1x http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Ultra-Silent-140mm-NF-P14/dp/B002XISTXM/
3x http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-P12-Fan/dp/B000YSONMO/
4x4gb http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Extreme-MV-3V4G3D-US/dp/B00592002W/
(heatsinks on previous RAM were too high for the D14)

Total: $400ish :shepicide:

Steve Glutenberg posted:

I got sick of local backbiting and the insane race to the bottom on internet based work a few years ago and decided to be a real boy instead, but just recently I did some ADR on a movie and it's still fun, and I like money. I checked that oDesk site out and saw absurd poo poo like a 91 thousand word book for 800 dollars. Is this an aberration or is the market even worse than I remember? My voice got a bit deeper since it got put in storage, and I want a hobby with pennies involved that I can pick up and drop at my leisure, but is it all this lovely or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

SaviourX posted:

On a similar note, what's a decent rate per words for a single narrator on a piece?

If you're just starting out, I'd say $150 per RECORDED hour is a decent pricepoint to shoot for. It's kinda low, and you're worth more if you know what the hell you're doing (experience which will also help shave off your production time), but if you get good enough, it could end up being equal to about $1/min of work. More if you're a one-take wonder and can zoom through post-production. I'd definitely start with smaller projects before you commit to something huge though. I haven't had the time yet to work on a whole book, but check out http://www.acx.com/ and search for books with a stipend attached. I think they lowered it this year from $150 to $100, but at least it's guaranteed (paid to you by Amazon). Those'll almost always have a royalty attached too so if the book is huge, you'll make bank but....play it safe & small for the time being.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

The Joe Man posted:

You need to slow down. With how fast you're going, some words are getting lost & muddled. Not a ton, but enough to notice. A much bigger problem however is that you end every sentence on a low note. You start mid-high, go high, then "fade" to low every single time. There's also zero emotion in your read. I'm happy to critique again with a new read, but go back in the thread and listen to some other reads of the same script and mine (and other's) advice on how to improve. Apply it and try again! It's all about practice & sounding natural.

Thanks for the critique. I've been practicing a bit more, I'm not sure if I'm going slower or not, but I think I got better with the emotion and less fading at the end of sentences. I'd love another look if people get a chance.

http://tindeck.com/listen/yfnk

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

The Joe Man posted:

Your read was decent and I sent an email vote. I can't believe how bad the other auditions are. That's the competition on ACX?
Thanks for the vote and the feedback. I went on to Round 2 and won that yesterday, so I got the gig. It's Pay For Production and I accepted the offer of $250 per finished hour.

I also recieved an unsolicited offer to do another somewhat similar book (for royalty share), and the rights holder said she had found me by listening to my audio samples, so if you're on ACX, getting samples up in addition to cranking out auditions seems to work.

A third book is in negotiations, so it looks like I'm really going to take my best shot at this business :-)

Do we have any audiobook veterans around here? I'd like to hear about best practices and reasonable production schedules.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Does anyone else belong to the LinkedIN VO groups? I belong to the Voice.com one and the VO Professionals one.

The Voices one posted this video this morning. An interesting video about warming up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfbRXG76yQU

I don't know anyone who thinks about their body/voice that much.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Lumpen posted:

Thanks for the vote and the feedback. I went on to Round 2 and won that yesterday, so I got the gig. It's Pay For Production and I accepted the offer of $250 per finished hour.

I also recieved an unsolicited offer to do another somewhat similar book (for royalty share), and the rights holder said she had found me by listening to my audio samples, so if you're on ACX, getting samples up in addition to cranking out auditions seems to work.

A third book is in negotiations, so it looks like I'm really going to take my best shot at this business :-)

Do we have any audiobook veterans around here? I'd like to hear about best practices and reasonable production schedules.

That's awesome, congratulations dude! Maybe like after you get paid, would you mind writing up a little review of ACX and your experience? I'd like to add it to the front page with the other links.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I was inspired by Lumpen to also give ACX a try. Going to make an effort to do at least one audition a day. If nothing else it is great practice. There's a wide variety of genres and approaches that you can take with the auditions so in that regard I actually think it's useful for everyone to try. Worst case scenario my cold reading gets better, best case scenario, loads o' monay.

WhollyChao
Jul 16, 2005

Stand Up Or Give Up
I've been tweaking my demo over the past week or so, and I was wondering what y'all use for editing. I mean, basic stuff like removing extraneous noise or some freakishly huge breath I've got down, but I know some people apply filters and that sort of thing. Any advice as to what you use to make a recording sound more finished would be great.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

WhollyChao posted:

I've been tweaking my demo over the past week or so, and I was wondering what y'all use for editing. I mean, basic stuff like removing extraneous noise or some freakishly huge breath I've got down, but I know some people apply filters and that sort of thing. Any advice as to what you use to make a recording sound more finished would be great.

When I need to do something quick, I simply record and edit in Audacity. I try to leave the breath pauses as it is more natural sounding, but I'll simply select and silence that part of the track. For longer or more complex things I record into Protools because I have the most experience with it. It also lets me do things like EQ in real time (instead of destructive processing) if my mic isn't fully giving me the vocal qualities I want. It's always best to do as subtle an effect as possible, ideally none at all.

For breaths, and Joe Man probably knows better, the goal should be to not need to remove breaths. Having a really directional mic helps, but with any mic when you breath you should turn your head as much as is comfortable to direct that sound away from the mic. You can do this with plosives as well (p's, b's, etc).

If you are working on a demo, you should keep practicing until you can get through it without having to perform any major editing. You can compress the vocals a bit, and use an expander to push the breaths down, but you don't want to do much more than that if you can avoid it.

Let's say for whatever reason you can't re-do a recording though. Targeting the spaces between sentences you can either silence, or drop the volume. Silencing sections is not really great practice. There will often be some hum or fizz in your recording. Something low level and easily ignorable, but it is there and the brain knows. When you remove it, all of a sudden the brain no longer needs to filter and it'll lurch ever so slightly. Better to keep SOMETHING there than total nothing. If you are having plosive issues with your breath smacking the mic as you are talking, then you can use EQ to cut some of the low end. Male vocal range begins around 100. People like Don Lafontaine probably go down to 50, all rumble and depth. Female vocal range is slightly higher starting at about 150. If I ever cut the low end on my recordings, and I've had to do this less and less as I practice, is around 75 Hz. You just don't want to castrate your voice and make your voice sound too thin or whispy. So it's all about what you can cut while retaining your voice quality. Unfortunately plosives will probably generate noise into a range as high as 300 Hz, maybe a bit more. So you may not be able to remove them entirely.

For removing noise, be it hisses, horns, clothes movement, you can do some complex stuff, but it's just not worth it. If it's a systemic noise issue you'll want to alter your recording conditions to alleviate that and redo it.

(Been a while since I did a text dump. Feels good.)

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

WhollyChao posted:

I built a sort of cage to house my Blue Yeti mic, lined with acoustic wedge foam I got from here for about $20, and a pop filter I made by stretching pantyhose over an embroidery hoop.
I record in Audacity, and when I screw up I do three taps and repeat the part. Then I go back and edit out the screwups from before the taps.
I record about 30 seconds of room tone at the beginning and end of each session, then use that to capture a noise removal profile. I run a Noise Removal over the session set for about 15/0/150/0.01, and then I run the edited and noise-removed file through Levelator, which seems GREAT for me, it automatically does all the EQ/compressor/normalize magically. I should probably learn how to do that mastering stuff manually, but Levelator works well and I figure the people who made it know what they're doing better than me.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Does anyone in here happen to be a native speaker of Spanish, German, Dutch and/or Polish? I got a call today looking for non-union male VOs for a project in these languages. If this is you and you have professional quality recording capability and/or can record local in NYC, shoot me an email (in my profile).

Heck, if you're interested in being *~in my files~* for when I do get these calls (it's not so often, but it does happen--I had one a few days ago for a non-union female VO for a Nike spec spot) , then shoot me an email with:

-Your full name
-Phone number
-Email address
-Any foreign languages you speak
-Union status (if you're not in SAG-AFTRA, your status is non-union)
-Experience and/or training
-Website or any web presence you may have (good reason to at least have a Voices.com or Voice123 profile)
-Demos if you have them, samples if you don't. Please include something recorded on the setup you'd be using to record, especially if you're not local to NYC.
-Anything else you think I might want to know about you

Alsoooooooooo I had quite a bit of demand for a group class at that seminar I held earlier this month, so I'll be teaching a voiceover class at a studio in midtown Manhattan on Thursdays starting in April. (Current start date is the 4th, but that will almost definitely become the 18th soon.) If you refer someone who also signs up you both get $10 off, and I'm happy to give an additional $10 discount to SA members :3: Just include your SA username on the registration form. More info here: http://www.listentomelanie.com/classes.html

And I did record that seminar, it's just taking me a while to get it because my boyfriend recorded it and I, he, his digital voice recorder and his computer only cross paths every so often. HOWEVER, I will most likely be holding a free Google Hangout where I will give a very similar seminar to the one I gave earlier this month. I'd highly, highly, highly recommend coming to anyone here who wants to take this to the next level, or even anyone who just wants to know more about it. And I mean...it's free.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

WhollyChao posted:

I use Adobe Audition for editing, and it works well for me. But overall, you shouldn't have to do much to your files except some basic EQ. Adding filters will not usually be worth your time.

In other news, I upgraded to a new mic that I am loving so far, the AKG C214:

Nothing but good stuff to report about this mic so far, although it took me a bit of time to get the preamp tuned in properly so it sounded really good.

EDIT:

I realized I never put any examples up, so here are 2 semi-recent pieces I worked on. The first was for a client that specialized in IT solutions for church groups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1id1xlDo1s

And this one was fun, mainly because I can now watch my nieces and nephews play this game (it's a kids learning game). It was interesting to record, because I had to repeat hundreds of words, numbers, etc. and then the game engine puts them together as it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KKczglwMSo

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 28, 2013

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Ishamael posted:

And this one was fun, mainly because I can now watch my nieces and nephews play this game (it's a kids learning game). It was interesting to record, because I had to repeat hundreds of words, numbers, etc. and then the game engine puts them together as it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KKczglwMSo

The children's game is great, now I really wish I could be involved with a project like this just to watch my kids play it.

Your new mic is sexy too.

blinkeve1826 posted:

HOWEVER, I will most likely be holding a free Google Hangout where I will give a very similar seminar to the one I gave earlier this month. I'd highly, highly, highly recommend coming to anyone here who wants to take this to the next level, or even anyone who just wants to know more about it. And I mean...it's free.

So interested in this, is it going to happen?

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

titties posted:

So interested in this, is it going to happen?

I'm also interested!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I'd love to be in on that also!

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Yes, it is going to happen. I still have to do a little write-up for it and create a Facebook event and figure out how Google Hangouts even work, but I just started working with my first talent agent today so things are a little nuts at the moment (in a good way). You lot are the first to know, however, that it will more than likely (like, 90% sure) it will be Sunday, April 7th, 7:30-9:30PM EST. Mark your calendars!

Ishamael, that children's game looks like a ton of fun. :) How'd you come to do that?

Edited for username truthiness

blinkeve1826 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 5, 2013

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

blinkeve1826 posted:

IshAmael, that children's game looks like a ton of fun. :) How'd you come to do that?

Thanks! I work with a videogame company pretty regularly as one of their voice actors, and they gave me a call for this one and wanted something "kid-friendly". Game work is always a little different, but this one was especially interesting because of the sheer number of words, letters, numbers, etc. that I had to say in the same tone.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Ishamael posted:

Thanks! I work with a videogame company pretty regularly as one of their voice actors, and they gave me a call for this one and wanted something "kid-friendly". Game work is always a little different, but this one was especially interesting because of the sheer number of words, letters, numbers, etc. that I had to say in the same tone.

And harder than it seems! There was a handful of projects I did a few years ago where I had to record all the numbers 1-100 and a bunch of starter phrases and prompts ("Turn to page..."). I started off all energetic and clear and confident but somewhere around 70-80 I started to droop, and I think we may have even had to rerecord the last ten or so on one occasion because I was just so sick of it and you could hear it. In all fairness, it was the same client for each of these projects, so why the company would want to waste time--and money to pay me--on having me do the same exact thing several times over is beyond me. But hey, money.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
And BAM:

Info: http://listentomelanie.com/classes.html

Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/167420216745994/

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
What's the opinion about the at2020 USB?

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
^^^^ My opinion on all USB mics is the same, which is that unless you are 100% sure you only want to pursue this as a fun hobby and will not need or want to adjust or expand your recording setup at any point in the future, they are silly choices. It makes far more sense to get a decent regular condenser mic and a USB preamp so you can use your mic with other equipment in the future, rather than just the USB port on your computer and having to buy a new mic entirely if you decide to add additional processors and whatnot to your setup. That said, among USB mics, the AT2020 has pretty good reviews and those I've spoken to who have had it have been pretty happy with it, for whatever that's worth.

Also, a few things about my free online seminar on voiceovers on Sunday:

-If you have any questions you'd like answered during the seminar, email them to questions@listentomelanie.com no later than 11:59 on Saturday, April 6th (tomorrow)!

-If you'd like the opportunity to read some commercial copy and have it critiqued during the seminar, please email melanie@listentomelanie.com with the following info:

-Name
-Email address
-Phone number
-Website (if applicable)
We'll have time for up to three people to read, so if you'd like to be one of them email me soon (and no later than 11:59PM on Saturday, April 6th)!

And once again, the link to more info on my site: http://www.listentomelanie.com/classes.html

And the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/167420216745994/

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

blinkeve1826 posted:

^^^^ My opinion on all USB mics is the same, which is that unless you are 100% sure you only want to pursue this as a fun hobby and will not need or want to adjust or expand your recording setup at any point in the future, they are silly choices. It makes far more sense to get a decent regular condenser mic and a USB preamp so you can use your mic with other equipment in the future, rather than just the USB port on your computer and having to buy a new mic entirely if you decide to add additional processors and whatnot to your setup. That said, among USB mics, the AT2020 has pretty good reviews and those I've spoken to who have had it have been pretty happy with it, for whatever that's worth.

On the other hand, I would add that someone going out to buy a new mic as the answer to their VO problems is also a mistake. Most likely, the weak point in the chain is their voice.

Remember - it's called voice ACTING. If you want to do this, you should be studying acting and, ideally, getting involved in some theater, plays, etc. to improve your acting abilities. A VO session is a performance the same as any other acting gig.

A talented voice will come through even over a mediocre mic, while a weak one will still sound weak on a nice mic. So get your voice strong, THEN get the good equipment. Until then, "good enough" is good enough, in my opinion.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Ishamael posted:

On the other hand, I would add that someone going out to buy a new mic as the answer to their VO problems is also a mistake. Most likely, the weak point in the chain is their voice.

Remember - it's called voice ACTING. If you want to do this, you should be studying acting and, ideally, getting involved in some theater, plays, etc. to improve your acting abilities. A VO session is a performance the same as any other acting gig.

A talented voice will come through even over a mediocre mic, while a weak one will still sound weak on a nice mic. So get your voice strong, THEN get the good equipment. Until then, "good enough" is good enough, in my opinion.

Oh yeah, I'm not advocating buying different mics to solve quality issues. I'm saying that if you want to be doing voiceovers as a career for the long-term, you're not going to be using a USB mic for years to come--you're going to want to have the flexibility to add processors or compressors or a mixer or whatever to your signal chain, and you can't do that to the same extent if you have a USB port where an XLR connector should be. And yeah, a good voice will be good on good equipment and on terrible equipment--but to that end, why not just record on an iPhone for the time being? If it's simply for a hobby or to practice, the quality of the iPhone or iPad is more than sufficient. (That's what I use to record auditions on the go and during private lessons in homes of students who don't have their own studios.) If you want to buy a fancier mic so you can have a fancier mic, that's your prerogative and your money. If you're going to pursue it as something more than just a hobby, though, I think it's worth investing in a decent mic so you don't limit yourself to just USB capability and have to spend money on another mic down the road. I know some people are going to disagree with me and swear by their Snowballs and Yetis and that's fine. Maybe I'm just old school. But I also think it's potentially a smarter use of one's money in the long run.

Also, it looks like we have a goon reader up tomorrow :3: Stinkmeister, check your email (and phone)! We'll have to touch base sometime tomorrow afternoon beforehand to get things set up.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

blinkeve1826 posted:

Also, it looks like we have a goon reader up tomorrow :3: Stinkmeister, check your email (and phone)! We'll have to touch base sometime tomorrow afternoon beforehand to get things set up.

Stoked for it! Thanks for doing this and thanks for the opportunity!

Stinkmeister fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 7, 2013

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

blinkeve1826 posted:

If you're going to pursue it as something more than just a hobby, though, I think it's worth investing in a decent mic so you don't limit yourself to just USB capability and have to spend money on another mic down the road. I know some people are going to disagree with me and swear by their Snowballs and Yetis and that's fine. Maybe I'm just old school. But I also think it's potentially a smarter use of one's money in the long run.

I do agree with this, I think USB mics are not professional grade and aren't a great choice for professionals. I just didn't want new people to think that buying high-end mics will solve voice issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
A huge thank you to blinkeve1826 for holding an informative and inspiring seminar! I strongly recommend that you join one if you get a chance.