Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Is that... an unblind Terezi??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

My first thought was "Oh, look at her eyes, she really is terribly hungover from that awful soda."

My distant second thought was "Oh, she has eyes!"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huh, looking at it again I noticed a couple odd details. Terezi's eyes are still redder around the edges than Karkat's are, and the bloodshot veins are red.

Perhaps her eyes are literally healing as we (and Karkat) watch?

Also I'm pretty sure this is a callback to Dave's WTF face back when Dirk ollied outy.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

The veins are probably colored that way because of the way her sclera is tinted. If I had to guess.

That and it would look weird to have teal veins in her eyes.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Geez, who didn't see this coming?

Really though, the gently caress is going on here? I wonder if she'll freak out and re-blind herself /morbid thought of the day.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Terezi ain't looking so good.

Though she is looking better than before.

Good god, I'm hilarious.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I kind of figured this was the case after other people started suggesting it during Meenahstuck.

What if the reason she went crazy with Gamzee's religion was because she couldn't handle regaining her sight? [While maybe even losing her ability to smell/taste color.]

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Now that's a cut.

edit: I also somehow thought that was Nepeta at first.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 18, 2013

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Man, I utterly failed to comprehend what was happening there. It was like okay, she's looking a bit rough there but what are they looking at?

Doy.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
The best part about this update really is the delayed reactions.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Chalk me up for another delayed reaction. I literally did that old comedy thing: "Terezi, something's different about you and I can't quite put my fingoh my God."

frozentreasure posted:

Terezi ain't looking so good.

Though she is looking better than before.

Good god, I'm hilarious.
Golf clapping @ dis.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Action Shakespeare posted:

The best part about this update really is the delayed reactions.
Was about to post a joke in response to this, realized another poster had already done it word for word.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Totally called it~

Whatever conversation is about to happen(or that we're jumping into the middle of) is going to be something very interesting, and likely pretty important information for some stuff that'll be going down later.

I wonder, though, if maybe her eyes just slowly healed on their own over time? Maybe the remaining red is the last of the burnt eye bits that haven't recovered fully, and these three years have basically allowed for her body to naturally recover most of her sight.

Either way, whether it was natural or done by some healer type, Terezi saw the blindness as a core aspect of herself- her dreamself was blind when it didn't need to be- and losing that is going to have left her pretty shaken.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can't believe what I'm seeing.
Just look at this.
Absolutely eye-popping.
etc. etc. etc. THE BITCH AIN'T BLIND NO MORE

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
What the gently caress am I looking at here.
Eyeballs? No you had none.
Why eyeballs is thing now is eyeballs.
poo poo on my mother.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ohhhhh no

If she can see, and she's with Gamzee, then she probably looked into Lil Cal's eyes. That's not good.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Terezi posted:

:stare:

Karkat posted:

:stonk:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Maybe when Aranea gets really pissed off she accidentally heals people around her.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm confused at all the "Oh no, Terezi, you're healed! How terrible!" posts.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Well, do you want it on a story level or a metaphorical level?

On a story level, Terezi of three years ago didn't want to be healed. She saw her blindness (which wasn't really a handicap, since she could perceive visual information by smell and taste) as a memento of her beloved parental figure which she did not want to lose. Then she fell into a weird funk, based, apparently on a combination of hatedating a clown and thinking her ancestor was better than her. Now her vision has returned. We don't know if she had it healed back during Meenahstuck (and was covering her eyes to lie to Karkat) or if they are healing as Karkat watches (in which case, the choice is being forced upon her), but either way, there's an element of sadness to it.

On a metaphorical level, Terezi partially represents blind (unbiased) justice. She holds her friends and enemies to the same criteria. She doesn't give Vriska a pass out of sentimentality. But she seems to have fallen in with a bad crowd, and now her eyes work. This may have implications.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Who What Now posted:

Because Terezi's blindness was a fundamental part of her self-identity. Remember that her dreamself was blind too, whereas Tavros and Vriska didn't share injuries between real and dreamselves. For Terezi to get healed of her blindness indicates shes had a serious identity crisis.

E: or read Bob's much deeper analysis^^^

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I just had a terrible thought. You know how Terezi's quirk is harder to read with lowercase letters? Hence why Hussie always gave her uppercase? What if she's trashed enough to do the Gamzee aLtErNaTiNg CaSe thing, as well as her 413 thing? Or if she did the vriska thing and started misusing her quirk? Either would be rather unreadable.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 18, 2013

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Tollymain posted:

Huh, looking at it again I noticed a couple odd details. Terezi's eyes are still redder around the edges than Karkat's are, and the bloodshot veins are red.

Perhaps her eyes are literally healing as we (and Karkat) watch?

Also I'm pretty sure this is a callback to Dave's WTF face back when Dirk ollied outy.

I assumed that her eyes look like that 'cos she's just woken up the morning after a Faygo bender. She looks hungover to me. Maybe she did something stupid while kickin' the wicked elixir?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah this wasn't really surprising. As soon as it was clear Terezi's eyes were being explicitly covered, after the idea that they could be healed had been introduced, and that her blindness was part of her confidence and identity except she was going through a period of self-doubt, her having healed her blindness seemed pretty obvious. I'd have been surprised if we saw her eyes and she was still blind.

Although I am a little surprised she's been hiding it all this time if she really was healed a year ago. Has she managed to keep that hood down for a year without anyone asking about it?

Anyway. I'm curious if keeping her eyesight is going to become part of her new identity, or if losing her eyesight again will be a part of Terezi regaining her confidence and sense of self. I hope she keeps her sight since on a practical level eyesight is pretty useful and I'd say it better indicates growth to forge a new identity rather than reclaim an adolescent one.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, at the same time, the audience demanding Terezi go blind again to fulfill some thematic point would be creepy. Arguing that blindness is her culture (which I basically just did) is bordering on those weird deaf culture people who refuse to let their kids have hearing aids.

It's a terribly interesting situation and I can't wait to see what happens.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
At least they aren't billiard balls

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Terezi, jumped up on lovely soda and bad decisions, decides to go the whole hog and become a lovely billiard-gazing Juggalette. Sadly, there are no real billiard balls to be found, so she has to dig up some of Vriska's lovely old Magic 8-Balls. She slams'em right into her eyesockets, except that she does it wrongways and the 8-ball side faces inwards and she's now a walking double magic ball.

"OUTLOOK NOT SO GOOD"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Popo posted:

Geez, who didn't see this coming?

Terezi. :haw: Well, not until just now anyway.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yonic Symbolism posted:

That reminds me, I just saw someone post the theory that the reason they're still a little red rather than teal is they're not her eyeballs.

Probably not true since hey here's Karkat and his eyes are fine, but it'd be kind of funny if instead of Aranea's healing touch it was Gamzee with an ice cream scoop and some troll's corpse.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dorroile posted:

Terezi, jumped up on lovely soda and bad decisions, decides to go the whole hog and become a lovely billiard-gazing Juggalette. Sadly, there are no real billiard balls to be found, so she has to dig up some of Vriska's lovely old Magic 8-Balls. She slams'em right into her eyesockets, except that she does it wrongways and the 8-ball side faces inwards and she's now a walking double magic ball.

"OUTLOOK NOT SO GOOD"

This is getting off topic, but I was looking at the Magic 8 Ball wikipedia page to see what all the outcomes are, and the names on the toy patents are funny to me, because they remind me of Hussie's intentionally-awkward names for things.

quote:

U.S. Patent 2,452,730 — Liquid Filled Dice Agitator ca. 1944
U.S. Patent 3,119,621 — Liquid filled die agitator containing a die having raised indicia on the facets thereof, 1962
U.S. Patent 3,168,315 — Amusement Device ca. 1961

edit: As for why her veins are red orange and not teal:

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 18, 2013

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

Bobulus posted:

This is getting off topic, but I was looking at the Magic 8 Ball wikipedia page to see what all the outcomes are, and the names on the toy patents are funny to me, because they remind me of Hussie's intentionally-awkward names for things.
I see Betty Crocker already controls the US Patent and Trademark Office.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can't have more than one blind character in a comic for too long, it's inherently unstable. When Sollux went blind, the comic corrected itself by half-killing him and making him half-blind. With Sollux back to full blind, the comic reached stability by making Terezi see again.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think I would have preferred juggalo mind control. Now the only question is how it happened.

:smith:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Someone just suggested this update was surprising because they'd been expecting Terezi to be dead, and to have ghost eyes. Which I guess might've been an even bigger twist.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Who What Now posted:

They better kiss now. :3:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Great. My eyes just did a weird optical-illusion thing and saw Terezi's lips as a gawking mouth and now I can't unsee her as a porpoise.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I saw the update and, after frowning over how short and empty it was, frowned further as I figured too that her bloodshot eyes should be teal.

Then I later came to the thread and found out I missed the most important part. Can't wait for the next update now.

Regarding the eye color thing though I guess it makes sense. We never really saw another troll with coloured eyes since most trolls we se are kids, and kid trolls don't develop eye color till they are older.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I get that Terezi saw her blindness not as a handicap, but as part of who she is, but part of growing up is changing one's self-identity as you progress from a child to an adult. I just don't think we should jump to the conclusion that this is a bad thing just yet, at least not until Terezi explains herself.

But this isn't worth getting into arguments over, sooooo...

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Lord of Laughton posted:

I saw the update and, after frowning over how short and empty it was, frowned further as I figured too that her bloodshot eyes should be teal.

If that was the way troll eyes worked, her eyes would have been solid teal all along! It'd have been inconsistent for her eyes to not look like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Awww, they're havin' a see party. :3: Just a couple of eagle-eyed bros peepin poo poo up into the wee hours.