Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flier129
Aug 28, 2012
1 second on a 2 minute track is quite some time.

General consensus is the rival is a great tire with a large comfort zone. Some say it's faster than the rest of the hot ST tires(Junior) and others say the rival gave up a touch of speed vs the RS3 for a larger comfort zone(Strano).

Until I see it proven otherwise, I think with my light weight car(2100lbs) the RS3 will be faster than the Rival. On heavier cars, however, I think the Rival will be more consistent and it'll be faster for almost everyone except alien drivers.

There again, the clock wasn't running on this event. I can't count how many times I've came back to grid and though "man, that had to be so much faster, it felt so fast!" then the clock tells me otherwise. I've heard the same from many national champs and alien drivers, the clock doesn't lie!

There's also Kumho's V720 and Bridgestone's RE-11A coming out as well. I doubt they'll kill off the rival, rs2, or z2 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I think I'm going to give the rivals a try, the larger comfort zone is appealing. The high weight was my only real concern.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Seconding the typo on tire weight. For my Subaru it's 27 lbs/tire for the ZII and 25 lbs/tire for the Rivals. Also, tire rack has the tread depth for the rivals at 7.2/32. Who does that? ZII is listed at 9/32. Anyway, it will be hard choice between the two. 245/40R18 for reference.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Seconding the typo on tire weight. For my Subaru it's 27 lbs/tire for the ZII and 25 lbs/tire for the Rivals. Also, tire rack has the tread depth for the rivals at 7.2/32. Who does that? ZII is listed at 9/32. Anyway, it will be hard choice between the two. 245/40R18 for reference.

SCCA rules for ST classes are tread depth must be >7/32 from the factory, that's why.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

flier129 posted:

1 second on a 2 minute track is quite some time.

General consensus is the rival is a great tire with a large comfort zone. Some say it's faster than the rest of the hot ST tires(Junior) and others say the rival gave up a touch of speed vs the RS3 for a larger comfort zone(Strano).

Until I see it proven otherwise, I think with my light weight car(2100lbs) the RS3 will be faster than the Rival. On heavier cars, however, I think the Rival will be more consistent and it'll be faster for almost everyone except alien drivers.

There again, the clock wasn't running on this event. I can't count how many times I've came back to grid and though "man, that had to be so much faster, it felt so fast!" then the clock tells me otherwise. I've heard the same from many national champs and alien drivers, the clock doesn't lie!

There's also Kumho's V720 and Bridgestone's RE-11A coming out as well. I doubt they'll kill off the rival, rs2, or z2 though.

2100lbs? gently caress, have you tried R1Rs?

Huh, I haven't heard of the v720, is it supposed to replace the v710?

flier129
Aug 28, 2012

Brigdh posted:

2100lbs? gently caress, have you tried R1Rs?

Huh, I haven't heard of the v720, is it supposed to replace the v710?

yeah I've ran shaved and un-shaved 195 r1rs aka pixie dust. I didn't like the un-shaved, it was on a hot day with a course setup for my normal RS3s, go figure. The shaved were much better, turn-in didn't suck and it seemed to hold lateral grip better. On a regular day, my 225 RS3s on a 15x9 are faster than any 195 r1r, unless it's cold or raining, lol.

v720 is replacing the XS, so a "200 TW rating"

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Hey fellas, I've been hankering to do some cone chasing, and the local base is going to have an SCCA event here soon. Being the goddamn sperg that I am, I started looking into the classes and how it all works. I ran into a snag trying to figure out where my car would slot in: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6 R-Spec. I have mods that would bring me up into the ST* classes, but I'm not sure which. If It would be STX, I would technically need to pick up new wheels and tires 'cause mine are too wide, but they are good enough for STU. I have a feeling I would be smashed in STU, but then again I have no idea. Do I have a choice which "ST" class I would be in, or would I be stuck buying different wheels/tires?

I'm reading the limits on STX is a 9 inch wheel and a 265mm tire. I have a 9.5 up front and a 10.5 out back, with a 275mm tire in the rear.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
If any goon is interested and lives in Arizona you should come out for the Marana Regional event this weekend! Quite a few national level auto-xer's will be there and we're a chill bunch in Tucson!

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
I went to my first Los Angeles Chapter BMWCCA autocross today at Auto Club Speedway, killed a few cones (see lower part of the front bumper in the second picture), and had a blast.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I am almost done with maintenance on my '97 Miata, and I am trying to figure out what mods I can and cannot do and still remain in my class. From what I have read I will be in E-Stock. I want to change out my brake pads for some hawk blues and my tires for the Direzza ZII's. Is this going to bump me up in to a different class? The car will be bone stock otherwise.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you're doing ES, you can do:

Front or Rear sway bar
Slick tires/super sticky summer tires
Change the shocks
Brake pads

You don't want the Hawk Blues, you'll never get them up to temp and apparently the Rivals are the thing to have. For your 1997, I would do the following:

RB Tubular FSB 1 1/8"
14" Wheels: Dunlop Z2, 15" Wheels: BFG Rivals
Koni Yellows
Hawk HP+ or whatever the equivalent is in Carbotech or Maxxis or whatever

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'll do the swaybar, Z2's, and HP+ pads, I may wait on the shocks, since it new OEM shocks and I will see how well I fare on them.

Is anyone here near Albany, NY? The first mohawk-hudson region solo event is going to be april 20th :420: in Albany

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
In Canada:

Race on an ice covered air strip? Why the gently caress not.

(Placed 2nd in RWD class with Motomaster All Seasons)

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Where was that?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Huntsville! Toronto Subaru Club ran it.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Why isn't your top down! I want to ice Auto-x but we haven't had enough regular snow for it within 120 miles of Boston for the past two winters :(

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Figured it had to be somewhere north with all the snow we've gotten.

I'll have to check it out next year. I'm currently making plans to replace my car with either a 500 Abarth or Mustang, just haven't decided which way to go yet.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Muffinpox posted:

Why isn't your top down! I want to ice Auto-x but we haven't had enough regular snow for it within 120 miles of Boston for the past two winters :(

I thought about it. But it was like -18. And I wasn't having any head clearance issues.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

There might be a race up at Newfound Lake, NH this weekend if the conditions are good, I haven't heard anything yet. There was supposed to be a race last weekend too but there was too much snow on the lake which made it too difficult to plow (?).

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Ziploc posted:

I thought about it. But it was like -18. And I wasn't having any head clearance issues.

Forced air helmet and gloves :mad:

bsamu posted:

There might be a race up at Newfound Lake, NH this weekend if the conditions are good, I haven't heard anything yet. There was supposed to be a race last weekend too but there was too much snow on the lake which made it too difficult to plow (?).

Boston BMWCCA? They've been trying to hold one all season but conditions haven't been good enough for the past two winters to hold one on the lake.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ziploc posted:

In Canada:

Goddammit. Last night's monthly meeting included the sad news that the local patch of ice, the "Rathole", is not suitable for events this winter. I am massively, massively jealous.

My Snell-2010 helmet is a snowmobile helmet. It's made for that kind of fun, but it mostly ends up baking my head during summer events.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Ziploc posted:

In Canada:

Jealous. This is what our local rallyX looked like this weekend:

Yeah, wasn't about to take out my daily in that. Eagerly awaiting the 1st event on may 5th.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

Boston BMWCCA? They've been trying to hold one all season but conditions haven't been good enough for the past two winters to hold one on the lake.

Yeah, BMWCCA. I wasn't aware they've been unable to run the ice racing for so long.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Has anyone ever done Evo Performance Driving School? They're doing an event here in St Louis in a few weeks and I'm -> <- this close to signing up.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

User Error posted:

Has anyone ever done Evo Performance Driving School? They're doing an event here in St Louis in a few weeks and I'm -> <- this close to signing up.

I actually did the Evo Phase 1 last year and it was well worth the money. It can be humbling when a national level instructor takes your car out and beats any time you previously did by 3-4 seconds. Lots of drive time so you need to make sure your tires/brakes/cooling system are in good shape. Overall I would highly recommend it!

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I've done phase 1 and 2 last year, and plan on doing them again this year. Unless you are already a national champ, you'll get something out of it.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
I just did Phase 1 and 2 last weekend. It was fantastic, and I totally recommend it. Phase 2 especially--by the end of it, I felt like I had a night and day better understanding of how to drive an autocross course. I'll be doing it next year...

edit:// my instructors, all of which were awesome:
Eric Clements
Robert Puertas
Bryan Heitkotter
Heyward Wagner

the poi fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 15, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I took my '00 Mustang out to the Bremerton Sports Car Cub event #1 - just a local club event, not a big SCCA thing; it was relaxed and everybody was just out to have fun. Plus we got four runs!

The car didn't hilariously flop around as much as I expected it to. I managed to keep pretty tidy, ate no cones, and improved my times. Compared to the other Mustangs in my session, I put down the best time. My friend brought her Volvo S60R for her first time running at an event, and beat me by two seconds.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I did my first SCCA event last Sunday and was hugely disappointed by how little course time you get. For less money, the local S2000 club has events that get you 8 runs (4 in the morning, 4 after lunch), friendlier people, and corner workers who know what they're doing. I guess if you wanna be a national level competitor, SCCA is the way to go, but I go for fun, not dick-waving rights.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Everything that I've heard about Official SCCA Solo Events (tmtmtmtm) is that you pay a lot of money for very few runs.

All of the local clubs charge $25-35 and you get at least four 45+ second runs. The old, and defunct, SCCA club charged $50 for members ($10 1-day membership) to drive a 25 second course three times.

Autocross is regional as hell, YMMV.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Phone posted:

Everything that I've heard about Official SCCA Solo Events (tmtmtmtm) is that you pay a lot of money for very few runs.

All of the local clubs charge $25-35 and you get at least four 45+ second runs. The old, and defunct, SCCA club charged $50 for members ($10 1-day membership) to drive a 25 second course three times.

Autocross is regional as hell, YMMV.

Cost: SCCA is the only club I know of that provides insurance, and drat good insurance at that. If I recall correctly, sanction and insurance is somewhere around $15 a person at my region, on top of what we pay to rent the sites/cover other operating costs.

Run times: The SCCA has its own rules about what constitutes a safe location and safe course. This factors into the insurance. I would assume the local clubs are running sites/courses that SCCA would consider unsafe if you are seeing that much of a difference.

Number of Runs: In my experience, SCCA events tend to attract more entries than a local club, which limits the number of runs. No one wants to stay to midnight, even if that means 10 runs. Also, some people challenge themselves on doing their best in 3 runs, since "everyone can figure it out if they have 8 runs"

If you think your time/money is better spent at a local club over the SCCA, more power to you.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I run mostly with MCO up in Ottawa, like 35$ish? For 6+ 50 second long runs. We usually get 8 runs, but it depends on the course. I also occasionally run with St. Lac, and its about the same if I remember correctly.

There is also a regional series in Ontario, CASC-OR that runs events. Costs are in line with the other two, not sure how many runs you get though.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
What does that insurance cover?

Our club, which is not an official SCCA club (at least partly because we're not in the USA) has insurance for every event - it would be illegal to run an event without insurance - but that covers the club, not the competitors; the cost per event is something like $130, which we roughly factored into our price-per-event-per-competitor costs (the main consideration during that discussion was actually "how do we minimize the need for small bills for change?"). It's mainly for damage to the course (e.g. somebody wipes out one of the light stands in the arena parking lot we use as our track), and specifically DOES NOT cover damage to cars. We announce before every event that you run at your own risk - the provincial monopoly car insurance provider will not cover any damage to your car incurred on the track. Racecar insurance is available, but is hilariously not at all worth it for anything less than a dedicated track car that you've poured tens of thousands of dollars into, the annual premiums start around $5000 and go up rapidly from there.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

What does that insurance cover?

Our club, which is not an official SCCA club (at least partly because we're not in the USA) has insurance for every event - it would be illegal to run an event without insurance - but that covers the club, not the competitors; the cost per event is something like $130, which we roughly factored into our price-per-event-per-competitor costs (the main consideration during that discussion was actually "how do we minimize the need for small bills for change?"). It's mainly for damage to the course (e.g. somebody wipes out one of the light stands in the arena parking lot we use as our track), and specifically DOES NOT cover damage to cars. We announce before every event that you run at your own risk - the provincial monopoly car insurance provider will not cover any damage to your car incurred on the track. Racecar insurance is available, but is hilariously not at all worth it for anything less than a dedicated track car that you've poured tens of thousands of dollars into, the annual premiums start around $5000 and go up rapidly from there.

I'll state my bias here, I'm safety certified by the SCCA and a member of my local region's board that puts on the Solo events, so I get a "behind the scenes view" of much of what goes into a SCCA event. A few of our board members also run the local BMWCCA chapter, so theres some local collaboration between the two clubs.

I know the insurance details are available to SCCA members on the SCCA.com site behind the member login. I don't know exactly how much of the details are public, so I'm probably going to be a bit vague (and mostly reply from memory instead of looking up the exact details)

As far as I remember, it covers nearly everything. I think it doesn't cover damage done to your own car if you roll or run into a pole (self inflicted or breakdown), but it covers property damage (including, I think, your car if someone else causes the damage), bodily injury of anyone including spectators, and liability. The limits happen to be absurdly high too (multi million). The SCCA also stands by the local clubs if they get sued.

From what I remember, historically the insurance groups have considered all the autox clubs across the US (maybe Canada as well) when determining insurance rates. The SCCA actively works with its insurance carrier to institute policies like the safety certification program to keep rates low, which ends up having a bleed over effect into the non-SCCA clubs, as usually the SCCA is what keeps rates low across the board.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Down here in Dixie we have two excellent sites (Spence Field April-October, and SGMP for December-March), and we rarely get less than 6 runs on courses that are mostly 50+, with the odd course getting to the 38-39's for the insane fast drivers/cars. We have a lunch break, too. During summer when attendance is a bit lower, we get 8 runs.

Then again, I'm told that Dixie Region runs an incredibly tight ship while still maintaining high fun/safety level.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Typically we get 8-10 runs at high 60s/low 70s for the fastest cars :getin:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

clutchpuck posted:

I took my '00 Mustang out to the Bremerton Sports Car Cub event #1

Forgot to mention, there was a dude in a Chevy Volt in EV mode who put down a pretty hot time; he crushed my best time by like 10 seconds. That was an eerie thing to (not) hear go by when working my corner.

Any Volts show up in your areas?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

clutchpuck posted:

Forgot to mention, there was a dude in a Chevy Volt in EV mode who put down a pretty hot time; he crushed my best time by like 10 seconds. That was an eerie thing to (not) hear go by when working my corner.

Any Volts show up in your areas?

Hah, that sure sounds like the Bremerton group. Some really fast people run with them in really unusual cars. For a while they had a guy running a Pantera that was pretty darn fast. They also have a guy with a Syclone that I rode along in once... It was scary going that fast while sitting up that high.

Bremerton is my group of choice when I run, and since I finally broke 1k in my BRZ I'll probably try to make the morning half of the 4/14 event. I'd like to see how it does bone stock before I start changing anything. Anyway, if you see a bald guy with a white BRZ out there, come say hi.

For the group in general, what are you all running for helmets? And is there a good online source to buy them (besides the standard Ebay or Amazon)? My old one's SNELL rating finally expired and I'm thinking of getting a full face helmet so that I can use it for carting too, but I'm feeling overwhelmed by the options and am not sure what to expect in a difference between a $200 and $400 helmet other than maybe HANS attachments and cool looks.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Brigdh posted:

As far as I remember, it covers nearly everything. I think it doesn't cover damage done to your own car if you roll or run into a pole (self inflicted or breakdown), but it covers property damage (including, I think, your car if someone else causes the damage), bodily injury of anyone including spectators, and liability. The limits happen to be absurdly high too (multi million). The SCCA also stands by the local clubs if they get sued.

From what I remember, historically the insurance groups have considered all the autox clubs across the US (maybe Canada as well) when determining insurance rates. The SCCA actively works with its insurance carrier to institute policies like the safety certification program to keep rates low, which ends up having a bleed over effect into the non-SCCA clubs, as usually the SCCA is what keeps rates low across the board.

This sounds like my understanding of how our insurance works. I'm not privy to the details, but I try to pay attention at the monthly meetings of our small club and all that sounds familiar. Thanks!

I'm getting the itch again, bad. There's an indoor show-car event on the Easter weekend that I won't be able to attend because I'll be out of town, but I'm contributing photos they can display on a TV at the club booth, near the three showiest cars owned by members. Trimming down from about 900 pictures I took at events over the last two years, getting it to no more than 3 pictures of each car, took about 3 hours over the last couple of days to reach the 192 pictures I'll hand over. That much looking at cars and cones has got me seriously unhappy that our first event hasn't even been scheduled yet, but will certainly be late May. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Mat_Drinks posted:

For the group in general, what are you all running for helmets? And is there a good online source to buy them (besides the standard Ebay or Amazon)? My old one's SNELL rating finally expired and I'm thinking of getting a full face helmet so that I can use it for carting too, but I'm feeling overwhelmed by the options and am not sure what to expect in a difference between a $200 and $400 helmet other than maybe HANS attachments and cool looks.

I'm currently running a HJC AR10 II (SA2010) that I got from Soloracer.com

• Locked thread