Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

First time I've ever been not completely hosed by musictoday on ticket sales. Got group C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I managed to score 2 tix in group C for DLD this year as well. After last year's fiasco I didn't have high hopes. Anyone want to have an impromptu goon meet?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I just picked up a six pack of Bell's Oarsman, mostly because I've never tried a Berliner Weisse before. It's only 4% abv, so it seems like it will be a great session beer for tonight.

I also grabbed another bottle of BA Cereal Killer (bringing my bottle total to three), and three bottles of Arcadia's BA Imperial Stout.

I probably won't drink the Cereal Killer, and Imperial Stout for another week, or two, but I'll report back with what I think about the Oarsman. I have a feeling I'm really going to like it, and then I'll be immediately disappointed by the lack of Berliner Weissbiers available year round.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

I just picked up a six pack of Bell's Oarsman, mostly because I've never tried a Berliner Weisse before. It's only 4% abv, so it seems like it will be a great session beer for tonight.

I also grabbed another bottle of BA Cereal Killer (bringing my bottle total to three), and three bottles of Arcadia's BA Imperial Stout.

I probably won't drink the Cereal Killer, and Imperial Stout for another week, or two, but I'll report back with what I think about the Oarsman. I have a feeling I'm really going to like it, and then I'll be immediately disappointed by the lack of Berliner Weissbiers available year round.

I'm actually not that big on Oarsman. If you want a really solid berliner, track down this stuff: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23495/36378 It's probably the best regularly available example of a berliner.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

crazyfish posted:

I'm actually not that big on Oarsman. If you want a really solid berliner, track down this stuff: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23495/36378 It's probably the best regularly available example of a berliner.

Round Guys brewery near Philadelphia makes a Berliner Weisse that I think is actually better than that one. They've only been open for about a year and they just started bottling but I had it on tap during beer week last year and it blew my mind. The nose is straight funky cheese. But the taste is lemons and malt. A really nice balance. Really funky. Super smooth. A great effort from a relatively new local brewery that is already experimenting and coming up with some really great brew. I'm expecting great things to come from them.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27844/76354

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Round Guys brewery near Philadelphia makes a Berliner Weisse that I think is actually better than that one. They've only been open for about a year and they just started bottling but I had it on tap during beer week last year and it blew my mind. The nose is straight funky cheese. But the taste is lemons and malt. A really nice balance. Really funky. Super smooth. A great effort from a relatively new local brewery that is already experimenting and coming up with some really great brew. I'm expecting great things to come from them.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27844/76354

Pipeworks has done a few of them, but I believe all of them have been fruited.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Pipeworks has done a few of them, but I believe all of them have been fruited.

Most have been, but Flower Child is unfruited.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I inadvertently aged a few different beers about 7-8 months. Founder's Breakfast Stout aged really well. Dogfish Head 90 minute was pretty good. Mount Carmel Amber Ale was alright. Lilja's Heifer Weizen was... not the best, and it foamed like crazy.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

dakana posted:

Dogfish Head 90 minute was pretty good.

Yeah, that's probably not the best thing to age...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

dakana posted:

I inadvertently aged a few different beers about 7-8 months. Founder's Breakfast Stout aged really well. Dogfish Head 90 minute was pretty good. Mount Carmel Amber Ale was alright. Lilja's Heifer Weizen was... not the best, and it foamed like crazy.

Hops die over time. The best beers to age are big strong beers, high alcohol content, and pretty much anything dark. The only things I really keep in my cellar are barley wines, imperial stouts, belgian style ales and sours. I also buy a couple bottles of Nogne O Peculiar Yule every year and let them sit until the following Christmas because the spice notes are way too intense on a new bottle, but the whole thing mellows really nicely after a year or two.

This is what I'm currently sitting on. Some of this is for drinking now, but a majority of it is for later.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AntSnKdZTbwBdG5UV3J4dzg5QUQ0dHBUMkxubzVYaWc#gid=0

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Very few of the beers I own are being cellared for the purpose of flavour development. Most of them are being cellared because they're too much for me to take down by myself in one sitting or I'd feel guilty not sharing them.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I bought them as a small thank-you gift but then never got the chance to give them to the person, forgot about them, and then rediscovered them.

The 90 minute was definitely different -- the crisp and 'fresh' taste of the hops was really diminished, but the result wasn't unpleasant. It was mellow, with a little more alcohol aftertaste than usual. I prefer it fresh, but it wasn't a disaster after ~8 months.

dakana fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 18, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
for you DC folks, there's another CBC-related tap-takeover on the 27th at Meridian Pint featuring Ballast Point, Jester King, Founders, and Hardywood Park. just wanted to offer my advice to anyone going: Hardywood's Bourbon Cru and Bourbon Sidamo are the best things they are bringing and you should skip Chocolate Heat and the raspberry stout. this is after you wait forever to find out the CBS is kicked, of course.

opened a DuClaw Divine Retribution from 2011 and what started out as a hot booze-bomb is now a slightly woody sugary disaster on par with Southern Tier's offerings. i forced my way through half a glass and felt kinda sick; shared the rest out with the homebrew crew and one dude liked it, but everyone else though it was pretty gross.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

danbanana posted:

Yeah, that's probably not the best thing to age...

It's actually better than you'd expect. It goes through a little window that is fairly 'meh' but it is mostly decent. Isn't burton Baton aged 90min or something also?

funkybottoms posted:

for you DC folks, there's another CBC-related tap-takeover on the 27th at Meridian Pint featuring Ballast Point, Jester King, Founders, and Hardywood Park. just wanted to offer my advice to anyone going: Hardywood's Bourbon Cru and Bourbon Sidamo are the best things they are bringing and you should skip Chocolate Heat and the raspberry stout. this is after you wait forever to find out the CBS is kicked, of course.

I may have to swing by this.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Adam. You West Coasters really need to appreciate that this is around as much as it is. Had a fresh Curmudgeon today, but it doesn't compare. This may be the best old ale/barleywine on the planet (non-BA'd division).

danbanana fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 18, 2013

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Managed a decent haul this weekend:

Boris to the left, Gift of the Magi behind the Surette, also Hop Wallop, Boulevard Tank 7 and Velvet Merlin not pictured.
Had to pass up a bunch of other good stuff, but some of this was by request and I had to limit myself.
Can't wait to try some of these though.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 18, 2013

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Had a good albeit hazy weekend.

First time having Speedway, it was truly great, everything I want in Stout, better than Black Note, but not as good as the BCBS Coffee we found the next day at a random rear end bottle shop in Edison Park, possibly a perfect beer.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I still consider Speedway Stout to be one of my favorite beers of all time. Of all time.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

funkybottoms posted:

Here was the taplist:
http://www.meridianpint.com/content/border-border-coast-coast-ballast-point-founders-hardywood-park-and-jester-king

Definitely try RU55 (this is one of the best beers they've made lately - not super tart or really puckering, balanced) and Funk Metal (supposedly better than Tart of Darkness. I liked this but yet to try it side by side)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

This year will be my first Dark Lord Day. What should I expect and what's the sharing scene like? I was planning on bringing a few bombers of local goodies from here in STL that I like.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I usually dislike hopped up brown ales, but Terrapin's Hop Karma is done really well. It's second behind Smuttynose's Durty in my opinion. I wish this were still 6 packs for $9 instead of 4 packs for $9 though.

Edit: If there was a reason for me to care less about Stone's overpriced beer this article would be it. I'll quote my two favorite parts:

Greg Koch posted:

An angel investor coughed up $500,000, which they used to buy a 30-barrel brewing system and get the business started. The visionary who saw the value in an idea by a couple of dreamers? "It's one word — D-a-d," Koch said.

And

Greg Koch posted:

They simply weren't selling enough beer to break even. It meant another trip to Dad. "In order not to lose the money you've invested so far, you have to give us some more," Koch said he told him. And Dad came through again.

Greg left a bad taste in my mouth first with the Saison du Buff tasting with Sam Calgione and Victory's brewer. Greg was just a dick to the interviewer. He shrugged him off with a holier than thou attitude. Then a few months ago at my liquor store we got a sales folder from Stone. All I gathered from it was that Stone was bragging about their high prices while still being a top seller. That rubs me the wrong way. It won't be hard for me to avoid their $13 6 packs and $12 4 packs and I can't say I've liked any of their bombers.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 18, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
NYT article about how civilization was built on beer.

quote:

Current theory has it that grain was first domesticated for food. But since the 1950s, many scholars have found circumstantial evidence that supports the idea that some early humans grew and stored grain for beer, even before they cultivated it for bread.

Not sure there's anything new in this article, but worth a read.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Turds in magma posted:

No fair enough. I was just making sure you weren't some sort of "ohhh, you drink Duvel, a commercial Belgian beer? Let me tell you about this tree-bark 100-mile ethnically produced obscuro-ale" person

I can tell you a funny story about Midorka and Duvel from a long while back, but that seems unnecessary.

But for actual beer discussion, I opened a Love Child #2 with a little over a year on it, and thought it was really killer. My buddy also opened a 2013 Bigfoot, which I found even more grassy/herbaceous than I remembered, with a huge upfront "green" flavor. When it warmed up a bit that died down a little. Still tastes like Bigfoot.

kitten smoothie posted:

This year will be my first Dark Lord Day. What should I expect and what's the sharing scene like? I was planning on bringing a few bombers of local goodies from here in STL that I like.

The sharing scene is what you make it. There are picnic tables that basically become dedicated to people bottle sharing. I actually haven't really ever bothered trying to bed down at one of those for any length of time. Sharing in line while you wait to get in can be fun, but it's always so early making myself drink big beers can be tough. You should expect the following: Waiting in line a lot during the day. Hoping for good weather. Never even hoping to see the inside of the 3F brewpub area for the very special tastings. Having the opportunity to try a lot of interesting beers you wouldn't normally see. Drinking too much. Waiting in lines. Etc.

And yeah, we really should have a goon sharing meetup. As much as I like my DLD buddy, having more people is always fun. :)

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
I'll be someones DLD Buddy. I couldn't score a ticket, was looking at houses when the window opened and my phone's browser wasn't fast enough to get me in.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Midorka posted:

I usually dislike hopped up brown ales, but Terrapin's Hop Karma is done really well. It's second behind Smuttynose's Durty in my opinion. I wish this were still 6 packs for $9 instead of 4 packs for $9 though.

Edit: If there was a reason for me to care less about Stone's overpriced beer this article would be it. I'll quote my two favorite parts:

And

Greg left a bad taste in my mouth first with the Saison du Buff tasting with Sam Calgione and Victory's brewer. Greg was just a dick to the interviewer. He shrugged him off with a holier than thou attitude. Then a few months ago at my liquor store we got a sales folder from Stone. All I gathered from it was that Stone was bragging about their high prices while still being a top seller. That rubs me the wrong way. It won't be hard for me to avoid their $13 6 packs and $12 4 packs and I can't say I've liked any of their bombers.

I have no clue what's bothering you about those two quotes and he's "bragging" about the fact that they sell a lot of beer at craft beer prices - pretty much everyone has the same prices on craft beer.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Midorka posted:

And

Let me know when someone else cranks out a consistently brilliant RIS for $4.99.

Just, like, shoot me a PM or something, just so I know it's happening.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

wattershed posted:

Let me know when someone else cranks out a consistently brilliant RIS for $4.99.

Stone's is probably my favorite, but there are plenty of other good ones at a reasonable price point. Founders Imperial Stout and Old Rasputin come to mind.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I noticed that people were also badmouthing Stone over on reddit, and it seemed to me that the complaints were "Koch sounds like a prick, so I hate him, and also I read this article on the net once about how the waitress was rude to them at their restaurant, so no tip for them :smug:".

Mostly I chalk it up to classic BA-nerd "they're too big to be craft, man, you don't get it" behavior. I mean, I don't like Rogue, but that's chiefly because they put out bad beer and I don't want to spend money on bad beer. Stone meanwhile puts out good beer.

That said I haven't had a Stone beer since I left Texas. There's no point in OR. Plus which Enjoy By never comes here :mad:

In other news Crux starts offering bottles today :woop: Though so far it's just of the basic line you can get on tap so I'm not gonna buy anything yet unless it's for tradesies.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 18, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I like how the super overpriced liquor store near my work wants 25 bucks for 2013 Sucaba but had a sixer of 2011 Bigfoot for 11 dollars. :iiam:

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I have a friend who is going to Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, and Breckenridge in a few weeks. I'm probably going to give him $200 and tell him to bring me a bunch of beer back. I need to come up with a list of awesome stuff for him to grab me, I'm pretty excited!

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Kudosx posted:

I have a friend who is going to Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, and Breckenridge in a few weeks. I'm probably going to give him $200 and tell him to bring me a bunch of beer back. I need to come up with a list of awesome stuff for him to grab me, I'm pretty excited!

Aw tell him to goto Backcountry in Frisco and tell Wes the brewer that the huge bearded guy said hi.

Also make sure not to have him spend it all on Trinity and Crooked Stave or else you'll be out $200 pretty quick!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

the huge bearded guy

yeah this really loving narrows it down in the beer world ;) At least specify that by huge you mean "6 foot 8" not "5 foot 3, 280lbs", that should cut down on the confusion.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

Midorka posted:

Stone's overpriced beer

Where do you live?! Everything Stone makes is cheap as gently caress and properly delicious. Stone has been around since the 90's I think they have proven their worth.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Docjowles posted:

yeah this really loving narrows it down in the beer world ;) At least specify that by huge you mean "6 foot 8" not "5 foot 3, 280lbs", that should cut down on the confusion.

Well, in Summit County, anyway, he'd definitely know what I was talkin' about, there weren't too many real beer nerds actually living up there...

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

wattershed posted:

I assume you're talking about bombers, and maybe I'm awful at math, but a $4.99 bomber is still a terrible deal vs essentially any reasonably priced 6 pack :v:

Seriously though, Stone might seem sort of strangely omnipresent and Greg Koch might come off as a bit of a dick sometimes, but they make some of the cheapest big beers in the business and they're mostly really great.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Also make sure not to have him spend it all on Trinity and Crooked Stave or else you'll be out $200 pretty quick!

I think I'm probably going to have him grab a bunch of stuff from Odell, Firestone Walker, Deschutes, and maybe a few other breweries. I'd really like to have him bring me back some Abacus, but I'm pretty sure none will be around when he's going to be out there (early April).

I'll most likely end up asking people in this thread for suggestions when the date comes closer.

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002

ChickenArise posted:

It's actually better than you'd expect. It goes through a little window that is fairly 'meh' but it is mostly decent. Isn't burton Baton aged 90min or something also?

Burton Baton is 90 minute mixed with an old ale, then barrel aged.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

I think I'm probably going to have him grab a bunch of stuff from Odell, Firestone Walker, Deschutes, and maybe a few other breweries. I'd really like to have him bring me back some Abacus, but I'm pretty sure none will be around when he's going to be out there (early April).

I'll most likely end up asking people in this thread for suggestions when the date comes closer.

Not sure where you're from, but if you don't get Russian River, I've seen Pliny and Supplication in Denver before.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

crazyfish posted:

I love this beer too, but it's kinda big for a Berliner. The Bruery's Hottenroth is a little closer to the style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

SUPER HASSLER posted:

That said I haven't had a Stone beer since I left Texas. There's no point in OR. Plus which Enjoy By never comes here :mad:

We did get Enjoy by 02.15.13, in Portland anyway. Never did see that Mint Chocolate stout though, unfortunately.