Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agustin Cienfuegos
May 7, 2008

Yeah this is definitely from the USSR. I don't remember the details though. Soviet truck, soviet gasmasks, etc.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

In one experience I remember vividly, there was a rich range of shades. It must have been late 1941 or early 1942. Jews were required to wear the Star of David and to obey a 6 p.m. curfew. I had gone to play with a Christian friend and had stayed too late. I turned my brown sweater inside out to walk the few blocks home. As I was walking down an empty street, I saw a German soldier approaching. He was wearing the black uniform that I had been told to fear more than others - the one worn by specially recruited SS soldiers. As I came closer to him, trying to walk fast, I noticed that he was looking at me intently. Then he beckoned me over, picked me up, and hugged me. I was terrified that he would notice the star inside my sweater. He was speaking to me with great emotion, in German. When he put me down, he opened his wallet, showed me a picture of a boy, and gave me some money. I went home more certain than ever that my mother was right: people were endlessly complicated and interesting. ~ Daniel Kahneman

Psychology's a fun subject to study from the perspective of the 'harder' sciences. I often end up seeing Kahneman, Tversky and Csiksentmihályi cited in compsci papers.

You did not see a gorilla in my post, did you?

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mMy5Nn_ha4

"THE THUNDERBOLTS: RAMROD TO EMDEN"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSXGhIfEosw

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dusseldorf posted:

I always thought that this photo was taken as a promo for Come and See.

I'm pretty sure it was posted earlier in the thread and mentioned that it was some kind of inspirational (!) poster made before or during WW1 to show how safe kids would be or some such. It's pretty hosed up.

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

:m10:
http://www.channel4.com/news/racist-anti-semitic-violent-the-true-face-of-golden-dawn
The actual video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltSved6UH48

Emden posted:

The Golden Dawn is actually pretty inspiring. They have food banks, blood drives, classes for women and children to attend, and they even have guards that protect poor neighborhoods. Oh and they are against austerity, liberalism, and internationalism. Of course no one wants to show the good side of these folks.

Greece remains a wreck. Maybe the GD can turn it back to prosperity?

Yeah that one campaigner's plan to depopulate Greece of 3 million people sounds like a smart public works project that will improve unemployment, a similar plan revitalized Germany's economy after all! Well, I guess in Germany they first had to enslave a whole bunch of those people they were planning to depopulate to be used for factory labor, but hey Golden Dawn are very different from the Nazis.

I also appreciate their sponsored history courses for children, it's very important for them to learn about topics like "ancient Greek Thought, the ancient Gods of Olympus and the Christian Faith." Ancient philosophy is such an interesting topic. I wonder what other sorts of interesting things those children might be taught.
http://whenthecrisishitthefan.com/2013/02/28/golden-dawn-slowly-forms-its-very-own-jugend/

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

I'm pretty sure it was posted earlier in the thread and mentioned that it was some kind of inspirational (!) poster made before or during WW1 to show how safe kids would be or some such. It's pretty hosed up.
Yeah, Come and See had more inspirational and uplifting shots like:

Absolutely crushing film. Go and watch it.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Emden posted:

The Golden Dawn is actually pretty inspiring. They have food banks, blood drives, classes for women and children to attend, and they even have guards that protect poor neighborhoods. Oh and they are against austerity, liberalism, and internationalism. Of course no one wants to show the good side of these folks.

They even have a Green wing... impressive

A food drive

The people's militia

Greece remains a wreck. Maybe the GD can turn it back to prosperity?

Also I found the economics version of Time Cube.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-MkRuV0aCcI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-MkRuV0aCcI

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

I know this image, it supposedly was from Ukraine's anarchist army, but I can't actually confirm it.

Have some tropical fascists instead. Using greek letters way before those golden dawn chumps :smug:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have some pictures I was accidentally posting in the Riots in Brooklyn thread :doh:

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
How about some dog whistle misogyny? My girlfriend was browsing some nail polish colors in passing tonight while we were at the local Walgreen's. She called me over to take a look at this neat color she found (picture not mine).

I then had to explain to her why she shouldn't purchase any more products from SinfulColors :smith:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

whatis posted:

How about some dog whistle misogyny? My girlfriend was browsing some nail polish colors in passing tonight while we were at the local Walgreen's. She called me over to take a look at this neat color she found (picture not mine).

I then had to explain to her why she shouldn't purchase any more products from SinfulColors :smith:

Hahah. Oh my!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AZtWGB1Khc

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

whatis posted:

I guess it must really be a dog whistley dog whistle because I can't figure this one out.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Humboldt squid posted:

I guess it must really be a dog whistley dog whistle because I can't figure this one out.

According to Google it sounds like "bukkake," but I must have a wrong understanding of how to pronounce the word.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think accidental, embarrassing, and obscure homophones really count as dog-whistle misogyny. I mean, I guess that could have been intentional, but... I dunno, I really, really doubt it.

Syrian rebel with a knockoff Playstation controller connected to a machine gun.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 19, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

whatis posted:

I don't see how a pun on bukkake would be considered misogyny, especially if it is targeted toward women who are probably familiar with the term and either think it's funny or get off to it themselves which I'm only assuming is the case with a name like SinfulColors. Plus, bukkake is also a form of topping/layering in Japanese cuisine or something, so literally it's a pun on layering a khaki color on your body.

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 19, 2013

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012

bagual posted:

I know this image, it supposedly was from Ukraine's anarchist army, but I can't actually confirm it.

It's the Young Pioneer Organization of the Soviet Union

"Always ready !" :ussr:

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

The fasces even predates Rome back to the Etruscans. It's use in the American government is to symbolize it as a republic.

I like to think it symbolises the bassoon

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

A bassoon you say?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Icelandic humour.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The Crotch posted:

I don't think accidental, embarrassing, and obscure homophones really count as dog-whistle misogyny. I mean, I guess that could have been intentional, but... I dunno, I really, really doubt it.

Syrian rebel with a knockoff Playstation controller connected to a machine gun.

This is part of a homemade tank, my friend sent me a video of it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB1BDrFzFY0

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fasces chat: They seem like the worst weapon ever, how did they come about? Like, when did some dude tie some sticks around an axe and think, Ah the perfect symbol of government?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyapeCiOl9A&t=168s
Someone needs to explain to North Korea the concept of "distance".

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

So there's a national dialogue conference in Yemen right now, al-hiwar al-watani. This is making fun of it by turning it into motamar al-himar al-watani (national donkey conference).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xandu posted:

So there's a national dialogue conference in Yemen right now, al-hiwar al-watani. This is making fun of it by turning it into motamar al-himar al-watani (national donkey conference).

What they must think of democrats.

:stonk:
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/03/19/are-rotting-pig-corpses-to-blame-for-chinas-electric-pink-drinking-water/

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 19, 2013

Read Snigfut
Feb 19, 2013

Mostly harmless.

zoux posted:

Fasces chat: They seem like the worst weapon ever, how did they come about? Like, when did some dude tie some sticks around an axe and think, Ah the perfect symbol of government?

As far as I know, it was originally just a bundle of sticks. This symbolized strength in unity, since a single stick can be easily broken, but a bundle cannot. The axe was sometimes added to show additional power, such as the government's ability to give capital punishment. For whatever reason, the second version has remained far more popular over the years. Either way, it's one of the oldest symbols of government out there.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Randal is giving a big immigration speech this morning about how the Republican party needs to embrace immigration reform. Here's what his dad thinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T-iJKwskH4

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Xovaan posted:

I don't see how a pun on bukkake would be considered misogyny, especially if it is targeted toward women who are probably familiar with the term and either think it's funny or get off to it themselves which I'm only assuming is the case with a name like SinfulColors. Plus, bukkake is also a form of topping/layering in Japanese cuisine or something, so literally it's a pun on layering a khaki color on your body.

I found something a little different.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=khanki

quote:

Bengali slang for a whore/ loose pussy. A very bad girl.

Also means,'son of a bitch/hore'.

:suicide:

Have some dog whistle racism.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

In 2002, this man was Bush's economic advisor. He predicted that the Iraq war would cost $200 billion per year. He got fired.

In 2003, this man insisted that several hundred thousand troops would be necessary to secure Iraq. He got fired.

In 2003, this man said

quote:

The oil revenues of that country could bring between $50 and $100 billion over the course of the next two or three years. Now, there are a lot of claims on that money, but ... We are dealing with a country that can really finance its own reconstruction and relatively soon.
and

quote:

There has been a good deal of comment—some of it quite outlandish—about what our postwar requirements might be in Iraq. Some of the higher end predictions we have been hearing recently, such as the notion that it will take several hundred thousand U.S. troops to provide stability in post-Saddam Iraq, are wildly off the mark. It is hard to conceive that it would take more forces to provide stability in post-Saddam Iraq than it would take to conduct the war itself and to secure the surrender of Saddam's security forces and his army—hard to imagine.

He got nominated to head the World Bank.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 18, 2014

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Iraq 2003

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Earth posted:

By the way, this is what a police officer that is going above what they should do looks like:

There's plenty of instances of police officers abusing authority and police brutality, and this is about the worst (non-accurate) demonstration of that.

Speaking of bad cops. What ever happened to the police brutality thread in DnD?

edit:

have some horrible bumper stickers.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Imapanda posted:

Speaking of bad cops. What ever happened to the police brutality thread in DnD?

edit:

have some horrible bumper stickers.

There were only two kinds of posts in that thread, KILL ALL COPS and REAL AMERICAN HEROES. It got old after awhile.

Did you know we once had a skeleton pope? It's true!

Volcott fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 19, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Boehner was obviously disappointed by the lack of Merlot at the Friends of Ireland luncheon.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Earth posted:

Also, if you want to continue the discussion of the drunk assholes video start a thread, Helsing and CharlestheHammer.

Why are you bringing up something from two pages ago that no one has been discussing? Are you this pathetically desperate to get in the last word on your apologism for police brutality (or the fact that you're openly lying about the order of events). If you don't want to keep having the discussion I don't think you'd be bringing it up more than 24 hours after anyone else mentioned it.

Besides, I honestly don't think there's much left to be said. Here's our last exchange:

Helsing posted:

Its only after the 2:50 in the video that the guy does start ineffectually pushing back as the two cops assault him. You might argue that after being punched, body slammed and grabbed by two people that it would be hard not to push back against the multiple people beating you.

Are you saying that because the guy was "stupid" he deserves to be assaulted? Or are you saying that this is acceptable police conduct? Or both? I really can't tell if you're basic point is "poo poo happens" or if your basic point is "police need to be able to beat people on the thinnest of provocations because otherwise we won't be able to maintain public order"?

Earth posted:

Your screen cap analysis is admirable, but what you see and what I see are two different things. During the time of watching that video I was specifically looking for a moment when I would think the police had gone too far, and what I witnessed was a terrible example of humanity during the entire video.

What I saw was a guy getting in the cops face and space and making physically imposing gestures and it appeared that he was interferring with the cops business with the guy in underwear. I will say that the cop may have taken it too far in those few seconds, but it sure as gently caress appeared that the guy was being aggressive in every sense of the word with business that he should have walked away from. So, perhaps the cop didn't take it too far in his eyes.

When asked if the police should be allowed to beat someone on thin provocation you found an elaborate roundabout way of saying "Yes" though you don't quite have the honesty to be that blunt.

I seriously wonder what your reaction to this other famous situation would have been at the time.

quote:

Officer Tim Singer ordered King and his two passengers to exit the vehicle and lie face down on the ground. King's two passengers complied and were taken into custody without incident.[9] King remained in the car. When he finally did emerge, he acted bizarrely, giggling, patting the ground, and waving to the police helicopter overhead.[15] King then grabbed his buttocks which Officer Melanie Singer took to mean King reaching for a weapon.[16] She drew her pistol and pointed it at King, ordering him to lie on the ground. Singer approached, gun drawn, preparing to effect an arrest.

At that point LAPD Sergeant Stacey Koon, the ranking officer at the scene, told Singer that LAPD was taking tactical command of the situation. He ordered all officers to holster their weapons.[citation needed] LAPD officers are taught not to approach a suspect with a gun drawn, as there is a risk that a suspect may gain control of it if an officer gets too close.[17] Koon then ordered the four other LAPD officers at the scene, Briseno, Powell, Solano, and Wind, to subdue and handcuff King using a technique called a "swarm." This involves multiple officers grabbing a suspect with empty hands, in order to quickly overcome potential resistance. As four officers attempted to restrain King, King resisted, standing to remove Officers Powell and Briseno from his back. Koon ordered the officers to fall back.[citation needed] The officers later testified that they believed King was under the influence of the dissociative drug phencyclidine (PCP),[18] although King's toxicology tested negative for the drug.[19]

That drugged out rear end in a top hat shouldn't have been resisting I guess.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Helsing posted:

Why are you bringing up something from two pages

Same can be said of you now shut the gently caress up.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Happy 10 Year Iraq Invasion Day, DnD!

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I remember when I knew that there was no hope and that we were going into Iraq no matter what. Inspectors had found a cache of missiles which were not capable of being fired further than the limits Iraq had agreed to, but were capable of being modified to do so. Ari Fleischer, who will burn in one of the darker available hells, announced that Iraq's handling of the situation would demonstrate their commitment or lack of it to peace. The next day, Iraq announced that they didn't have any personnel who had the ability to safely dismantle the missiles, and requested personnel from the US or UN to dismantle the missiles. Fleischer announced that this was a clear demonstration that Iraq had no intention of disarming.

I remember sitting in the apartment I lived in at the time, in that lovely, broken computer chair, staring at the TV, a horrible feeling in my gut as I realized the pure futility of it all. Nothing we did mattered. Nothing anybody did mattered. Reality didn't matter. We were going to invade Iraq whether it was warranted or not, no matter what happened, because the only reality that mattered was the one in which the Bush Administration got its way. You remember that quote about the Bush Administration creating its own reality? Fleischer was at the front lines of that.

Burn in hell, Ari; I hope you get one of the really, really nasty, painful cancers.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4qSWiRpPhA&t=474s
Idiot starts throwing Nazi salute at a Dropkick Murphys show, and the band takes the proper action: Beating the poo poo out of him.
EDIT: Not sarcasm, gently caress Nazis.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chm7vStGV5I

'I hope my son and some guys in my administration don't gently caress this all up'

• Locked thread