Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I actually thought this thread WAS in SAS for a while. It's where I first heard about it. It's as much a sports/audience-participation thing as it is an LP.

(It is an awe-inspiring piece of work that, if I had no job or life, I would read in its entirety with gusto)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Pick 'em
Please, keep my thread alive!

I think I've already established my thoughts quite well - expanding and covering different areas might be worth a look. Maybe trying out different styles and/or narratives. People love them some collaborative LPs. Putting in a banner ad if someone has the dough to do so might be worth a shot as well.

Because I love feeling like death warmed over, I volunteer to learn how the hell to use BBM and run Expansion Cup IX. Fair warning, I might try some different things to see what might bring people in.

Also, yeah, totally joining the sentiment that this thread owns bones.

At any rate, Pick'em!
Burma, Cultists, Unicorns, and Potatoes win their respective games.

Finger Lakes lose to Barons, Mercuries lose to Manatees, Rockford retains.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Burma Imperialists

Ryleh Cultists

Cleveland Unicorns

South Bolton Eazy W's

Finger Lakes Phoenixes (c)

Montreal Manatees

Rockford Losers (c)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Antarctica Unspecifieds

Walney Rakers

CERN Colliders

South Bolton Eazy W's

Title Matches
Sweeps or Nothing!

Heavyweight Title

European and Larkin-Downing Titles
Queens Mercuries (c)

United States Title
Omaha Forgettables

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
This edition of pick 'em brought to you by the power of the 5 Groszy piece!*

Pick 'em

Burma Imperialists @ Antarctica Unspecifieds

Walney Rakers @ Ryleh Cultists

CERN Colliders @ Cleveland Unicorns

South Bolton Eazy W's @ Idaho Potatoes

Title Matches
Sweeps or Nothing!

Heavyweight Title
Finger Lakes Phoenixes (c) @ Barons

Queens Mercuries (c) @ Montreal Manatees

United States Title
Omaha Forgettables @ Rockford Losers (c)

*Value in real money: $0.015

Hey, if the Expansion League is coming up soon, my new team will be the glorious Krakow Dragons! Can hardly wait!

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Pick 'em

Burma Imperialists

Ryleh Cultists

Cleveland Unicorns

South Bolton Eazy W's

Title Matches
Sweeps or Nothing!

Heavyweight Title
Barons i really need to stop picking my team to succeed at things

Queens Mercuries (c)

United States Title
Rockford Losers (c)

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Pick 'em

Walney Rakers @ R'lyeh Cultists (These Cultists series seem rather frontloaded on the schedule.)

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Pick 'em

Title Matches
Sweeps or Nothing!

Heavyweight Title

United States Title

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Heavyweight Title

United States Title

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Super-League IX, Pre-Week 7: THE MACHINE Abides

Injury Report

Arkansas Destroyers
Nap Lajoie (2B) (Insulted Razorbacks) - 7 days

Barons
Babe Adams (SP) (Odyssey 5 was hosed the moment it started its first episode with a Coldplay song) - 11 days

CERN Colliders
Waite Hoyt (SP) (Just pretend your team is a scientific experiment on the effect of injuries on a team owner's ability to not weep openly in the face of injury reports) - 12 days

Cancun Tornados
Joe Cronin (SS) (Looks like the party's over) - 8 days

Coburns
Bill Campbell (RP) (Attempted to merge with Assenmacher to become ultimate reliever) - 11 days
Paul Assenmacher (RP) (It did not go well) - 11 days

Omaha Forgettables
Jason Giambi (1B) (Totally, definitely, probably not an act of spite on my part) - 132 days

Patagonia Postmodernists
Jamie Moyer (SP) (Senescence) - 124 days

Queens Mercuries
Bruce Hurst (SP) (On second thought, Bruce Hurst sucks) - 10 days

South Bolton Eazy W's
Duke Snider (CF) (Guess it's time for Moseby to mosey back into your lineup) - 9 days

I bet you hadn't made that Billy Herman trade back in Super-League III now, eh? What with Reese doing so terribly, and all.

Back to Cicotte time?

Underachievement forever!

Seven home runs in seven weeks. Acceptable in the deadball era, pretty risky in the Super-League.

: More Hardcore Title Defenses! Only the strong will hold onto the Hardcore Title will long!
: There's really no way to make the Hardcore Title seem exciting, is there?
: It has its moments. Anyway, the Coburns will defend the title against the Patagonia Postmodernists.

: And the Coburns will retain! They beat the Postmodernists in a close game, they beat them in a rout, and that's all they need to keep the Hardcore title in their hands.
: Where was Denny Rainwater? Certainly he could have saved the day!
: And now the Lovable Losers will take their turn against the Coburns...

: Let's be honest, if Shawon Dunston is your shortstop, it's just not going to work.
: Was Dunston really that bad?
: Well, he never took walks, he struck out a lot, he wasn't a particularly good shortstop, and I'm pretty sure that he kicked puppies in his spare time. Just a very, very bad dude.

: Television Title time! The Cougars are double-champions, and they'd like to keep it that way!
: That's right, they want to stay as the "Tele-Nental"...or "Intervision"...or "TeleConIsion" Champions for a while longer.
: Not the best portmanteaus I've ever heard. The Tots will get their shot first, but it's a four-game series, and, as the challengers, the Potatoes will have to win three of four to take the Television Championship.

: And they are not going to quite pull it off this time. The Cougars split the series, and that means that the Cougars will retain.
: That's got to be disappointing, as the Potatoes have been playing a bit better this season, and really could have used this win.
: And we'll close out the week with the Cougars traveling to Harvard for a showdown with the Elites.

: Both teams score the exact same number of runs over the course of the three-game series, but it's the Cougars who will take two wins, and hold onto the Television Title for another week.
: Poor Stras, still winless after seven weeks. Well, there's always next week.

Pick 'em

Title Matches
Sweeps or Nothing!

Heavyweight Title

United States Title

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Pick 'em

Title Matches
Sweeps or Nothing!

Heavyweight Title

United States Title

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Pander posted:

I actually thought this thread WAS in SAS for a while. It's where I first heard about it. It's as much a sports/audience-participation thing as it is an LP.

(It is an awe-inspiring piece of work that, if I had no job or life, I would read in its entirety with gusto)

Really, it belongs in Armchair Quarterback with all us WIS nerds.

Send Babe Adams down to AAA to get healthy, bring up Mike Torrez to be terrible for a while in the rotation.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

gardenald posted:

Really, it belongs in Armchair Quarterback with all us WIS nerds.

I decided to check it out, for the hell of it. And here's a statistic you might find interesting:

Current users browsing the subforum, as of around 7 pm, CDT:

LP: 1688
Armchair Quarterback: 16

Now, as awesome as it would be to own the most popular thread in a subforum by some ridiculous margin, we'd never get any new owners ever again.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Buy a banner ad :v:

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Okay, I know this is going to sound stupid coming from a team that seems to be doing alright for itself, but I'm going to ask for help.

Smasher, I'm considering taking a SS and SP in the first round of the draft with my two picks, then RP in the second. Can you think of any position I'm overlooking, and who would you take in my place?

Pick 'em

Burma Imperialists

Ryleh Cultists

CERN Colliders

South Bolton Eazy W's

Title Matches
Sweeps or Nothing!

Heavyweight Title

Queens Mercuries (c)

United States Title
Rockford Losers (c)

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.
Pick 'Em

Title Matches

Heavyweight Title

Queens Mercuries (c) @ Montreal Manatees we will, we will rock you

United States Title

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Pick 'em

Title Matches
Sweeps or Nothing!

Heavyweight Title

Queens Mercuries (c) @ Montreal Manatees -- :argh:

United States Title

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Can Babe Ruth or Ed Delahanty play CF or am I doomed to have the spectre of Moseby hold my team in its thrall once more?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

ForeverBWFC posted:

Can Babe Ruth or Ed Delahanty play CF or am I doomed to have the spectre of Moseby hold my team in its thrall once more?

Well, I mean, Delahanty can play CF, but don't you want to give Moseby another chance? 80th time is the charm!

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Title Matches
Sweeps or Nothing!

Heavyweight Title

United States Title

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Lloyd Moseby sucks!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Pick 'em

Burma Imperialists @ Antarctica Unspecifieds - Close run thing

Walney Rakers @ Ryleh Cultists - I have one game of better pythag

United States Title

gently caress my team, gently caress my team, gently caress my team.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Pick 'em

Imperialists, Rakers, Unicorns, W's

All champions retain.

Interleague Lineup will come by tommorrow.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

UZworm posted:

Buy a banner ad :v:

Someone make a gif and I'll pay for it :colbert:

In other news, I could use a great SS, 3B, and some RP help. I can offer Stan Musial. This is me sending out feelers, and I feel dirty doing such because this is prime Musial who is league-crushingly good. Someone wanna wow me?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pander posted:

I'll get on this when I get home tomorrow. I've got the dimensions off the Banner Ad page, I just need to pick out some choice images/phrases to use as bait.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 19, 2013

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Monathin posted:

I'll get on this when I get home. I've got the dimensions off the Banner Ad page, I just need to pick out some choice images/phrases to use as bait.

Please let me take a look at anything you come up with before you spend money on it, okay? I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with advertising, and, even if we're doing this, I certainly want it done right.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah, no problem. I'd run anything by you first anyway, Smasher.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Pander posted:

In other news, I could use a great SS, 3B, and some RP help. I can offer Stan Musial. This is me sending out feelers, and I feel dirty doing such because this is prime Musial who is league-crushingly good. Someone wanna wow me?

I'd love to do a deal, but not sure I have anything compelling enough - let me look over the Sad Panda's roster and see what's happening

Would you be interested in draft picks as well? Looks like mine's going to be fairly high at this point :smith: Also you'll need corner outfield help as well right? And perhaps at 2B too?

Spitballing: Soria (Elite RP), Yount or Sewell (SS), Billy Williams (LF/1B), Craig Biggio (2B), Carlos Beltran (RF).

Then move Pujols over to 3B, put Billy on 1st, Craig on 2B, and the SS in Short, Beltran takes Musial's slot in RF. Then move Billy back to LF if you get a quality 3B - Pujols comes home to 1B. Altenatively, could work my 2nd round pick in there somewhere.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 19, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Pander posted:

I have 1935 Joe Cronin.
He is a very good SS.
I'd be willing to take a good draft pick if you want to keep Musial.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

The Eddie Cicotte experience has almost always ended poorly, but this is for the fans, so let him go wild while Glavine pretends to be sick.

If possible, try to get his starts to lineup with the Doppel-Bangers (I guess having him pitch in the 2nd or 3rd game this coming week will accomplish that).

blakelmenakle fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 19, 2013

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Right then! If Simmons is fit to return to LF after this week, then have him do so. Delahanty to CF whilst Snider is out, HoJo to DH.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Pick 'em

Imperialists
Rakers
Colliders
Eazy W's

Barons
Mercuries
Losers

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Would you be interested in draft picks as well? Looks like mine's going to be fairly high at this point :smith: Also you'll need corner outfield help as well right? And perhaps at 2B too?
Not really thinking draft picks yet, especially not for my guy.

quote:

Spitballing: Soria (Elite RP), Yount or Sewell (SS), Billy Williams (LF/1B), Craig Biggio (2B), Carlos Beltran (RF).
(1) If they're on your bench, they'll probably end up on my bench.
(2) I read your posts. If you're whining about Biggio underperforming, I expect I would too.
(3) I'd want something closer to Vaughn, Biggio, and Soria.

quote:

Then move Pujols over to 3B, put Billy on 1st, Craig on 2B, and the SS in Short, Beltran takes Musial's slot in RF. Then move Billy back to LF if you get a quality 3B - Pujols comes home to 1B. Altenatively, could work my 2nd round pick in there somewhere.
(4) I'm not putting 2007 Albert at 3rd. 2003 Albert couldn't hang at 3rd. If I wanted to move him to 3rd I could do it now without trading.

I appreciate the thought, but I think you'd be unwilling to budge on the piece I most want from you (Arky).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Anyone in the market for a RF? I have either Bonilla or Fleck available to trade. I am looking for an upgrade at SS or a SP and RP.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Now we'll never know what was in the box...

Owner: tatankatonk
Home Grounds: Vin Scully Park

Teams Used
1928 Boston Braves
1967 Atlanta Braves
1974 Los Angeles Dodgers
1977 Cleveland Indians
1984 Cleveland Indians

Past Records
Expansion Cup VII
78-85, 5th Place, Non-Existents Division
Super League VIII
64-73, 4th in Sic Transit Vir Division
Gauntlet VII, Round 5
18-22, 3rd (tie), Relegated

Jean de Brunhoff and Francisco Arrivi, El Sueño Despertar: El Viaje Misterioso de Babar, el Rey de los Elefantes, trans. Dr. David E. Lopes (Washburn University, 1936). Filed under English title, The Travels of Babar.

It was on a Tuesday that Babar decided he could fly.

Babar was a lonely elephant. The other elephants treated him differently, because although he was an elephant, he was also a king. But Babar had heard of a far-off land where there were no kings. There had been no elephants there either, but recently some had been found! In a place where there were elephants, but no kings, Babar could be a regular elephant again. He wouldn't have to be lonely anymore.

But this strange land was indeed far-off, much further than Babar could walk. So he climbed to the top of the tallest building he could find. There was no doubt in Babar's mind that he could fly, for if he could not fly, he would instead die. All he had to do was step off.

But then he decided that was loving stupid, so he decided to take his plane instead.

Oh yeah, Babar had a plane all along. Silly Babar!

Babar's plane landed, and for the first time in his life, he was visiting San Juan. And lo and behold, there were elephants there! Dozens of them! They were playing a strange game with a ball and a stick, but Babar could see right away that something was wrong.

"Why is Brett Butler playing left field, and Stan Musial center?" Babar asked San Juan. But San Juan did not answer.

"Isn't Julio Franco getting way too much playing time?" Babar asked San Juan. But San Juan did not answer, because it's a city.

"My God, is that Rogers Hornsby playing shortstop?" Babar asked San Juan. But San Juan did not answer, because it's a city. And a talking city would be silly.

Then the game was over. And San Juan said, "I'm sorry, Babar, you must leave now. The season is over, and I can't have elephants anymore."

Babar was very sad. He began to feel lonely again. But then he remembered all his friends and family back in le Pays des Éléphants, and realized how much he missed them. So he put on his Santa Claus costume and flew home.

But he got tired halfway and decided to para-ski the rest of the way.

THE END

Notes

-The great Arrivi's first, last and only attempt at a novel, this offbeat collaboration between the legendary Puerto Rican poet and the successful French author de Brunhoff is widely considered de Brunhoff's finest work, and Arrivi's worst.
-The highly symbolic magic realist prose sadly loses something in the Lopes translation, and many have wondered why the translation task was left in the hands of someone who speaks Portugese, not Spanish.
-Students are prone to ask questions like, "Where the hell did the Santa costume come from?" and "Why do we have to read this drivel?" Instructors should be careful to answer these questions properly: "I don't know" and "Because it's on the syllabus."
-There was a lengthy digression concerning basketball star Michael Jordan in the original Spanish edition. Lopes chose to excise those pages from his translation. Instructors who want to cover this material for the sake of completeness are probably in the wrong line of work.
-Seriously, what was up with that defensive alignment?

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Excellent work, sir.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

Please, keep my team alive!

Heavyweight Title

United States Title

Archie Goodwin fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 19, 2013

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Fun obit, mrnoun.

Imperialists, Rakers, CERN, W's, champs retain

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Sonny Siebert is such a cocktease.

cbx posted:

If you are considering making any trades, I have both a spare first round draft pick as well as some starting pitching that I could be persuaded to let go of, for the right deal.

I am translating this as "I would like your Derek Jeter, and will give you Canton's 1st at least." Am I close?

Title Matches

Heavyweight Title

United States Title
loving Losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

United States Title

:smug: though, if you're ever able to piece together a pitching staff, I might be scared. Your lineup has much better hitters than mine.