Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Prepare for a new mod. It will be cool.

Once I finish the scripting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
This discussion is a few days old, but waaaaaaaaay back in the day when I played Morrowind around its launch time, I also was looking for a working mod to get rid of all the cliff racers. None of those worked for me either. However, there was a mod that did work; instead of removing all the cliff racers, it added an anti-cliff racer belt that could be purchased. I think the shop that sold it was in Balmora. Buy and equip the belt and any time a cliff racer comes within fifty feet of you, the belt fries the drat thing with an arc of electricity, complete with sizzling sound effects. It's hilarious to be walking through a cliff racer heavy area and having them all fall dead out of the sky all around you. It's like you're the world's biggest bug zapper.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Rime posted:

So I'm trying to regenerate Distant Lands, but no matter what I try it fails on the absolute last step with the error:

A fatal error occurred creating the distant statics files.
Non-negative Number Required.
Parameter Name: Value.

WTF? Ornithocopter seems to have vanished in October, so no help on that front. :(

If you're talking about MGE or MGE-XE, that's created by Liztail/Timeslip and Hrmchand respectively, so Kingpix (aka Ornitocopter) might not be able to help you anyway. Here's a few things to try in order:

(Re-)downloading XE and running distant lands.
Running distant lands with just Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon.esm checked. If this works, one of your mods might be the problem.
Taking screencaps of the settings you use in each step of the process and posting them here.
Skipping distant static creation.

Stuporstar posted:

Prepare for a new mod. It will be cool.

Once I finish the scripting.

I saw your request for a fez on the Bethesda forums and got excited. Can't wait to see what you're got.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Musical_Daredevil posted:

I saw your request for a fez on the Bethesda forums and got excited. Can't wait to see what you're got.

Got the scripts working perfectly, and now it just needs some tweaking. I've made a castable spell that will add a tiny humiliating fez to any npc in the game. It's mwse only though. I'm right now debating on whether or not to include the mod in Uvirith's Legacy or just release it as a standalone thing like I did with the shrink wand.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
How does modding Morroblivion work? I guess I'm really asking is what mods work with it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Revener posted:

How does modding Morroblivion work? I guess I'm really asking is what mods work with it.

I'm remembering this from years ago, but you mod your Morrowind install with all the Morrowind mods you want, then port the whole thing to Oblivion.

Not sure about Morrowind modding after you've done the Morroblivion thing though.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

If you're talking about MGE or MGE-XE, that's created by Liztail/Timeslip and Hrmchand respectively, so Kingpix (aka Ornitocopter) might not be able to help you anyway. Here's a few things to try in order:

(Re-)downloading XE and running distant lands.
Running distant lands with just Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon.esm checked. If this works, one of your mods might be the problem.
Taking screencaps of the settings you use in each step of the process and posting them here.
Skipping distant static creation.

Yup, that did the trick. Thanks!
(Did not know MGSO was a goon original)

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
I installed MSGO, but after the intro movie plays the screen stays black. I can still hear the water, and the boat creaking, but nothing happens.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Revener posted:

I installed MSGO, but after the intro movie plays the screen stays black. I can still hear the water, and the boat creaking, but nothing happens.

Disable Steam In-Game Community overlay.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Disable Steam In-Game Community overlay.

First thing I did.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't know how long the new .exe version of Wrye Mash has been in the OP, but whoever put it there is a saint because I've been struggling to get my install of the old version to work, but installing that one magically fixed it. At the same time, gently caress you because I don't need to get sucked back into this game at this stage in my life :saddowns:

E: Are there any mods out there that integrate some of the things from the expansions (like items) into the area of the main game? One of the things I didn't like about the expansions is that all that stuff is in their own little worlds, and none of it can be seen in 90% of the game world.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 17, 2013

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
My MGSO install is starting to chug and get 10-15 fps in outside areas. I think I picked a few too many processor-intensive options - if I run the installer again and choose better options, will it screw up my existing save games? My guy is only level 2 so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to start from scratch but I'd like to avoid it if possible because I've been playing for hours and hours (i treat this game like a zen garden and do everything very slowly and thoroughly).

Does anyone know what the main offenders are in terms of outdoor framerate loss? I have a feeling it's the grass and trees that are added everywhere so those are the first thing I'm gonna axe, but is there anything else I should watch out for?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Revener posted:

Did you skip any of the opening cutscene? I've gotten the same problem when I do that. I believe it's caused by MGE, but I don't know of a specific fix if you're getting it normally.

Rooreelooo posted:

My MGSO install is starting to chug and get 10-15 fps in outside areas. I think I picked a few too many processor-intensive options - if I run the installer again and choose better options, will it screw up my existing save games? My guy is only level 2 so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to start from scratch but I'd like to avoid it if possible because I've been playing for hours and hours (i treat this game like a zen garden and do everything very slowly and thoroughly).

Does anyone know what the main offenders are in terms of outdoor framerate loss? I have a feeling it's the grass and trees that are added everywhere so those are the first thing I'm gonna axe, but is there anything else I should watch out for?

Changing the settings for MSGO shouldn't affect any of your saves, other than a few messages from time to time. As Cream-of-Plenty mentioned, trees are indeed a big one, but you should also make sure to disable any MGE shaders. Decreasing the LOD distance also helps if those don't. I have part of the FAQ section in the OP dedicated to other framerate tips.

Actually, that reminds me:

For anyone who downloaded MSGO v3 early on, make sure you also download this fix, which stops all of the missing file error messages that pop up if you change the settings on a saved game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rooreelooo posted:

A couple more things which might be impacting framerates:
1. MGE-XE's Per-Pixel "New Dynamic Lighting" method is significantly more demanding than the old method. To disable, you'll have to go into MGE-XE and bind a key to toggle dynamic lighting, which will enable you to cycle between old and new methods in-game.
2. Script-heavy/process-intensive plugins. These can be hard to track down, however, since it's not always apparent which mods are demanding and which ones aren't. For example, I installed a plugin that added additional NPCs to cities (Starfire's NPC Additions). Unlike a lot of similar mods, this one didn't seem to go overboard with the additions--it wasn't doubling or tripling NPC populations, just making towns a little livelier. Then I started noticing an unusual FPS drop in cities, and began testing out a bunch of graphical tweaks, thinking that I had some settings too high. Eventually, I figured out that this plugin was causing my FPS to drop ~50% in towns, which immediately went away when I removed the mod.

Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo
I'm installing MGSO, and I can't seem to be able to view the bottom of MGSO Options, where it says "Apply". I'm on the max resolution, so that's not it.

Any ideas on how to view that drat button?

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Did you skip any of the opening cutscene? I've gotten the same problem when I do that. I believe it's caused by MGE, but I don't know of a specific fix if you're getting it normally.

Reinstalling Morrowind seems to have fixed it, couldn't tell you what it was.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I got a bit distracted by Dragonborn but I'm back into the game now. I managed to track down (it was disturbingly easy) a mod I made in 2003, as a 12 year old lad. 'Morrowind Jokes', filled with, obviously, jokes about Morrowind by members of the old ES community. Time to see how embarrassing my life once was.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Mazzletoff posted:

I'm installing MGSO, and I can't seem to be able to view the bottom of MGSO Options, where it says "Apply". I'm on the max resolution, so that's not it.

Any ideas on how to view that drat button?

You should be able to resize the window by dragging the edges. I had the window cut off like that when I first installed it.

Dockertae
Aug 9, 2010
I'm getting a new desktop and the first thing I'm doing is modding Morrowind again. This has to be my favourite game of all time so I'm pretty excited to see how shiny I can get my graphics this time around!

I'm going to play a Mage and go Telvanni, Temple etc as I normally only play as a Nord with a sword so it'll be like playing it fresh all over again.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What exactly should I install if I do not care about graphics/sound improvements, only bugfixes and such?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

VisAbsoluta posted:

What exactly should I install if I do not care about graphics/sound improvements, only bugfixes and such?

Probably the Morrowind Code Patch (MCP) and the Morrowind Patch Project (MPP), then.

Dockertae
Aug 9, 2010
I just got done installing and modding this last night and I've got to say the people (or person) responsible for the sound and graphics overhaul are amazing. Last time I did this I did it all manually but the new installer was so much easier. It's looking amazing now, I'll need to get some screenshots at some point and post them here.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Finally uploaded Get Fezzed to PES. It's a castable spell that puts a dinky fez on any npc.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
The OP isn't very clear, are the MSGO pack and the Oggumogoggum packs mutually exclusive, or do they effect different parts of the game? They both seem to have significant graphical effects, so I wanted to be sure before I went and installed two packs that are gonna beat each other up.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Dice Dingus posted:

The OP isn't very clear, are the MSGO pack and the Oggumogoggum packs mutually exclusive, or do they effect different parts of the game? They both seem to have significant graphical effects, so I wanted to be sure before I went and installed two packs that are gonna beat each other up.

Oggumog's pack includes some graphical changes but a lot of other ones too while mgso is only visual. I had a solid experience by installing MGSO first, then manually picking out the non-graphics mods in Oggumogoggum's pack and installing them over MGSO and making merged patches using testool.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I've also had more success than I expected with installing MSGO, installing other poo poo (including graphics poo poo), and then going back and changing things with the MSGO configuration tool/installer thing. I mean it's not really a good idea but it's far less fragile than I expected.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just upgraded to a i5 3570k and a Samsung SSD, and finally the drat game runs at a smooth clip with massive modpack I downloaded in 2007.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
edit: Fixed my problem with the new MSGO

Redid a clean steam install (again) and skipped these steps from the OP guide to steam install:

quote:

Instructions for Steam installation:
1. Open Steam, go to Settings, go to the In-Game tab, and uncheck the "Enable Steam Community In-Game" box.
2. Change the Created dates on "morrowind.bsa," "tribunal.bsa" and "bloodmoon.bsa" so that the year is 2002. Number 6 can be extracted to your main Morrowind folder and number 7 to your Data Files folder. Number 8 is Oggumogoggum's megapack (described below), which is optional but highly recommended.

New MSGO automatically changes the bsa dates, and files 6 and seven may or may not have been what was screwing me up on the install. Either way leaving them out made things work.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 26, 2013

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I found my Morrowind paper map the other day. It is in pretty bad shape, but I think I can get it laminated to keep it from falling apart. The first thing I am going to do when I get a new computer is sit down play Morrowind with all the graphics overhauls and poo poo I can find, because even after 10 years Morrowind is still my favorite game.

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009
I decided to be ridiculous and install both MGSO and Morroblivion to compare and contrast - I'm trying to convince my wife to play Morrowind, but the janky-rear end dice to hit systems and assorted weirdness of the Morrowind engine have put her off. Unfortunately, it looks like the dude that made all the hi-res texture overhauls for Morroblivion (Eloth?) has disappeared, taking half his poo poo with him. I got the main texture overhaul, but the flora & fauna and the water fixes have both disappeared from Mediafire. Does anyone have a copy of either of those they could upload for me?

Also holy poo poo, I forgot how ugly Oblivion was by default. At present I've got MGSO installed, waiting on the Oggum torrent to finish downloading, and Morrowind looks a million times better than my Oblivion install. Clearly I'm going to have to duck over to the Oblivion thread to see if I can fix this poo poo, most of the graphics overhauls should work with the Morrowind world cells, right? Or at least some chargen mod that means I don't need to play a sentient potato-man if I want to try anything but Argonian.

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is it normal with MGSO to be getting 200fps indoors and 30 outside? I hope not.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

No, it's normal to get 30 fps inside and 1 outside.

Or my 4-year old computer sucks.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

ful posted:

Is it normal with MGSO to be getting 200fps indoors and 30 outside? I hope not.
That sounds about right. Try enabling the FPS limiter and decreasing the distant land draw distance if you want to even them out a bit.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Any good mods that change the inventory into a text list rather than icons?
I play on a netbook and finding the right potion is a chore.
Also looking for one that lists spell by school.
Preferably one that doesn't require one of those script addons.

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ratspeaker posted:

That sounds about right. Try enabling the FPS limiter and decreasing the distant land draw distance if you want to even them out a bit.

Thanks, that helps.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I don't usually nest in games but something about anastasio the great's hideout really brings out the decorating instinct.

I just realized I've been playing this game on and off since 2003 :staredog:

Since then I have a computer with 32x more RAM and a CPU that has 4x the cores that run nominally at almost 2x the clockspeed of a AMD Athlon XP 2500+, though effectively are probably several times faster. Not to mention that my GPU has 4x the RAM my computer came with :v:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 27, 2013

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

So I made a little something the tide people over while I work on that update of Uvirith's Legacy (which is almost done, but needs beta testing).

The Tea Mod

This is probably the girliest mod I've ever made.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 30, 2013

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
A Morte companion mod is girly?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

What the hell, how did I manage to link that? Fixed the link above.

But here's a link to Jac's Morte companion mod too because it's kinda cool. http://download.fliggerty.com/download--126

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Stuporstar posted:

So I made a little something the tide people over while I work on that update of Uvirith's Legacy (which is almost done, but needs beta testing).

The Tea Mod

This is probably the girliest mod I've ever made.

It may be girly, but it's great, and the lore you put in is pretty fun too. The functionality of it is also pretty cool, potions that can be made without alchemy and brewed up pretty fast is drat useful. A skill-less alchemy without the weight burden or needing to gather the right ingredients.

Uvirth legacy was fun, but I can't quite bring myself to play a mage now, anyone know of any mods for the hlaalu stronghold that give me more options?