Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza
drat it's too late to apply? So I wasted all my time making this...

Sigh... another day, Nekoyuki... another day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Shoopuf posted:

I'm not saying you're not allowed. I'm saying the premise of this "retsupurae" is that you take the whole shebang out of context and thus is unfunny to me. That is literally all I said, only with more words to try and avoid being called out, or... whatever this was.

Retsupurae isn't always just "man this guy's method of recording is awful!" Take the dude who inserted himself into Pokemon and Fire Emblem, or even wayyyyyy back to that one dude who recorded himself walking around outside swinging his sword looking like an idiot. Even those videos like the fat dude eating 20(?) mini hamburgers on video. It's okay to laugh at insanely weird people on the internet sometimes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I hope there's a Sonic recolor in the cast.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Requested_Username posted:

Retsupurae isn't always just "man this guy's method of recording is awful!" Take the dude who inserted himself into Pokemon and Fire Emblem, or even wayyyyyy back to that one dude who recorded himself walking around outside swinging his sword looking like an idiot. Even those videos like the fat dude eating 20(?) mini hamburgers on video. It's okay to laugh at insanely weird people on the internet sometimes.

You do not appreciate Blazer magic?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Armanky posted:

drat it's too late to apply? So I wasted all my time making this...

Sigh... another day, Nekoyuki... another day...

Her quirk is that someone blew up her hand into a bloody mist.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

FPzero posted:

My only suggestion for the RP is maybe resize both of your commentator avatars to about half size or see if there's a better way to distinguish your text from the roleplay's text. They're pretty large as they are and I found myself missing some of the roleplay's lines in between them as I read.

Otherwise, I'm ready to see where this rabbit hole leads.

I agree. :shobon: It'll be easier to read with the avatars a little smaller.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
1: You're RPing... an RP? Mind blown.

2: Can I be the Super High School Level Guy Who Hasn't Followed Any Dangan Ranpa Stuff Whatosever? Or is that too long for my Student ID?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

yaoi prophet posted:

As opposed to the reasonable, down-to-earth names we've seen so far in Dangan Ronpa.
Well, I think you should think about that name. Shitai Sinclaire. The first name is Japanese, but the last name obviously isn't. I think that alone makes it sound a little...pretentious? I don't know if that's the right word or not, it's the only one that comes to mind. Sinclaire is a very English name, meanwhile they specifically picked Shitai for the meaning of the word corpse. What is the purpose of this? In the game we have Sonia Nevermind. Her name points out to the reader right away that she's a foreigner because her name is distinctly Western. Mixing a Japanese first name and an English last name just looks odd if there is no reason for it other than "well it sounds cool!".

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!
That was interesting, but can you post that in the DR1 thread instead? Or create a new thread?

Frankly it's like posting bad fan art and making fun of it. Even if you are witty with your comments, you did still post bad fan art. Actually, that not even a metaphor, since it is bad fan art. And bad fan fiction.

While a thread on mocking this fan-fiction would be entertaining, it sort of detracts from the DR2 thread.
On another note, I finally realized what the bloody tarp in the storage room was for. The killer covered himself with it when he stabbed someone under the floorboards so he wouldn't get bloody.
Another point for the floorboard theory and the cook, since he had access to both.

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010

Shoopuf posted:

I'm not saying you're not allowed. I'm saying the premise of this "retsupurae" is that you take the whole shebang out of context and thus is unfunny to me. That is literally all I said, only with more words to try and avoid being called out, or... whatever this was.

You don't need context to know when poo poo is poo poo, dude. I don't need to know the ins and outs of roleplay to know that, so far, Corspe Sinclair is a cringeworthy as gently caress character.

Also, that godmode bs makes the roleplay pointless since you're basically just giving your barbies to a kid you kinda know on the playground and watching them play with them while they tell you you're totally having fun right now, don't question any of this, hey you know what I'm gonna throw your barbie into the sandbox now, bye loser.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

slowbeef posted:

Please take a step back and realize this is fanfiction starring a character named Shitai Sinclaire. Now tell me we are not allowed to make fun of this.

Man, you can make fun of whatever you want but it'd help if you actually showed the mockable parts first instead of posting waaaaaaaay too many words of setup first. Nothing really stood out in that post to me that was that much worse than what goon roleplayers post in the Trad Games forum.

Mocking terrible or creepy roleplaying is totally cool but if your main material is 'haha look at those nerds roleplaying' you're kinda just coming off like you found out about the internet last week.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if the writer of the Dead End fanfiction (because that's really what it is, isn't it? It's like the "Choose Your Own Goosebumps" series, but for fanfiction) is a member of the forum and posts on this thread. I'm half waiting for another "I used to like you slowbeef!" post.

I don't get the issue. It's now like people don't already make fun of fanfiction. Hell, there was an example of someone who pretty much wrote their own fanfiction in this very thread. If roleplay is equal to fanfiction, then roleplay should also be okay to be made fun of. There's already some terrible things in there.

And as for the Monobear thing. Hold on a minute. Why is she being knocked out in the school (and yeah, by a knife too)? I thought the whole point of those scenes were that was the point where their memories were deleted. Monobear shouldn't be there, right? Why is Monobear freely running around the school while it's open? I thought the prerequisite was that you've read both threads? Well, it'll be interesting to see just how low this goes.

e: I agree that it should probably be its own thread though. It'll be hard to follow, and readers that catch up later into the thread will find themselves puzzled by being in the middle of it. Alternatively, oren could possibly add it in the OP to make it another little side thing for the thread. That would probably resolve some issues with it.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 19, 2013

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Roleplaying is some seriously weird poo poo

There's an entire subforum full of people who disagree with you. And this is exactly the sentiment that I'm talking about. Yes, this is a terrible, mockworthy roleplay, easily mockable on it's own merits. What I'm getting from the post is that roleplay itself is awful and mockable, so let's make an intentionally bad parody of an already terrible roleplay to show off how much roleplay sucks and how terrible roleplayers are. It comes off as mean-spirited and masturbatory: "Look at this intentionally atrocious RP we made! Isn't RPing such a load of poo poo?".

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

Man, you can make fun of whatever you want but it'd help if you actually showed the mockable parts first instead of posting waaaaaaaay too many words of setup first. Nothing really stood out in that post to me that was that much worse than what goon roleplayers post in the Trad Games forum.

Mocking terrible or creepy roleplaying is totally cool but if your main material is 'haha look at those nerds roleplaying' you're kinda just coming off like you found out about the internet last week.

This is basically it. I don't care about the sanctity of people pretending to be people on the internet but there's just so much poo poo to read and 90% of it isn't funny. And if the 10% that is bad enough to make fun of requires reading the other 90% for context, I'm not going to bother. I skimmed it, and it didn't look like it was bad enough for there to be enough jokes to make it worth reading.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Shoopuf posted:

I'm not trying to call you out. Look, really, I just want to explain that I think it's weird to say this RolePlay thing is beyond reproach or making fun of it is "mean-spirited". You make fun of Ctrl-Alt-Del in one forum, you make fun of people who act terribly politically in D&D, and I just think a fan-made Dangan Ronpa game is gonna go the same way. Truth? I was gonna sneak a joke at Fedule's expense in there.

If this is just a fun thing between friends, fine, but when you put it on the Internet, you're putting yourself out there to be made fun of. Same as orenronen when he decided to translate a video game for us. Same as anyone who does a thread here. Same as anyone who makes a YouTube video. Same as me. Sometimes, it ends up "shitai" and it deserves to be mocked.

Vyxzuw posted:

That was interesting, but can you post that in the DR1 thread instead? Or create a new thread?

No, that is legitimately a bad suggestion.

Brother Entropy posted:

Is it fair to say we can try one more where we jump right in? I'd agree it took a bit to get going, but I don't really browse TG, so I wasn't aware that's like normal or whatever.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 19, 2013

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Aww man! Is it too late submit my fan-character, Serenity Lucrecia Togami, Super High School Level Heiress and Actress (she has two SHSL) who is Togami's long-lost identical twin cousin who came to Hope's Peak to try and save Togami when she heard he was trapped there but then ended up getting tapped herself? (lol) She's best friends with Celes (they dress in lolita together, tee hee) and Leon falls in love with her (and then sayaka get jealous that hor!!!!). She eventually becomes SHSL Hope at the end of the game instead of Naegi and saves Kirigiri from Monobear. She's also part angel and has one white wing and one black wing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CrashScreen posted:

Why is she being knocked out in the school (and yeah, by a knife too)?

What's wrong with you? Whenever I abduct badly named original character do not steal teenage girls I knock them out with a cooking knife. Passing out from blood loss is still passing out!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

fool_of_sound posted:

There's an entire subforum full of people who disagree with you. And this is exactly the sentiment that I'm talking about. Yes, this is a terrible, mockworthy roleplay, easily mockable on it's own merits. What I'm getting from the post is that roleplay itself is awful and mockable, so let's make an intentionally bad parody of an already terrible roleplay to show off how much roleplay sucks and how terrible roleplayers are. It comes off as mean-spirited and masturbatory: "Look at this intentionally atrocious RP we made! Isn't RPing such a load of poo poo?".

I don't think slowbeef and VoidBurger are making a parody of a terrible roleplay? They're just riffing on it, and things like their student card is just them taking the piss at the concept.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

fool_of_sound posted:

What I'm gathering is that you think Slowbeef and Voidburger made up Super Dangan Ronpa Dead End.

They did not.

Caim
Nov 2, 2012
Here's to those RP guys. I found a few of the designs really likable (actor, grafitti, musician).

On the same note, some of them are real cringe like the occultist and conspiracy theory guy. It also doesn't make any sense that a professional spy would act that way, and the MC's expressions are weird, and they go to far with the "eccentric" thing.

If they can produce something entertaining, then good on 'em.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think my brain may have just conked out in the middle of parsing that because at some point during I came to the conclusion Slowbeef was organizing some kind of Dangan Ronpa RP.

I'm still not sure how that happened. :v:

No matter who's actually organising it though it sounds like a terrible idea.

Edit: Given that most of the people on Tumblr who like Dangan Ronpa are probably following this thread, what are the odds of most of them seeing Slowbeef's response?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 19, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

slowbeef posted:

Responses to things.

gently caress the haters, 'beef. If you're on Something Awful and can't take something being made fun of, you're in the wrong goddamn place. I mean, hell, your format for it was almost directly taken from poo poo that goes up on the front page. I enjoyed it, laughed at parts, and even shared it with people who are actively avoiding the thread because of the creepy/lovely posters.

So yeah, keep on keepin' on and I'll read right along and laugh my rear end off at some lovely roleplayers. Only way I can see to stopping is if oren asks, and even then I'd still like to see more somewhere.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My only reaction to that is drat tumblr roleplaying is complicated. Tags and mutiple blogs, having to draw your characters, making videos I don't understand any of this! Whatever happened to a bunch of kids posting in a forum thread and each trying to control which way the story went like when I was 12?

Kids these days!

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010
Ok, seriously, I'm still stuck on the name Corpse Sinclaire. I hope there's a good reason for it besides "lol it's ironic because she's the main character and therefore won't be a corpse."

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

^^^^ It's ironic because she's SHSL Hope. Get it? :laugh:

(Hope is dead.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Having the SHSL Hope right there smack-dab at the start strikes me as jumping the gun a bit.

Edit: Also the name Sinclair doesn't have an e on the end, you Tumblr-born mongoloids

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 19, 2013

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

slowbeef posted:

Is it fair to say we can try one more where we jump right in? I'd agree it took a bit to get going, but I don't really browse TG, so I wasn't aware that's like normal or whatever.

That sounds better, yeah. I can easily accept a Tumblr roleplay being hilariously bad, it'd just be better for all of us if we paid the most attention to the hilariously bad parts instead of the kinda dull setup they had going.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

alcharagia posted:

Having the SHSL Hope right there smack-dab at the start strikes me as jumping the gun a bit.

Someone needs to take the coveted SHSL Mary Sue role, after all.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

slowbeef posted:

No, that is legitimately a bad suggestion.

Really, why? The DR1 thread is still an ongoing LP. So it's not like it's grabbing an old thread. Hell, people are still posting in it.

And why is creating a new thread bad?
Isn't mocking fan-fiction something that is worth posting? If it is, then create a new thread. If it isn't then why are you even posting it?
Or is hijacking an LP with your own LP a thing we do now?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

slowbeef posted:

Truth? I was gonna sneak a joke at Fedule's expense in there.

You totally should've. I mean, think about it. What's the most common complaint about me in this thread? It's my continuing failure to realize that I frequently get so determined to add something tangible to some update or other that's directly attributable to me that I forget to think about the value of the thing I add, resulting in said things sometimes ending up jarring and seeming weird and just being distractingly there and weirding people out when they're just trying to think about a game they like. Which is exactly what these people are doing! It's all about a failure of self-awareness.

I mean, hell, the only difference between me and them is that my fuckups result in one or two badly placed commentary lines, while theirs result in... well, all this.

...I don't know how I feel about that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Vyxzuw posted:

Really, why? The DR1 thread is still an ongoing LP. So it's not like it's grabbing an old thread. Hell, people are still posting in it.

And why is creating a new thread bad?
Isn't mocking fan-fiction something that is worth posting? If it is, then create a new thread. If it isn't then why are you even posting it?
Or is hijacking an LP with your own LP a thing we do now?

Yeah, we don't want this content getting in the way of our baseless speculation!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I don't think slowbeef and VoidBurger are making a parody of a terrible roleplay? They're just riffing on it, and things like their student card is just them taking the piss at the concept.

:downs: I have great reading comprehension. I thought that they wanted to run an in-thread parody RP of a bad RP. Ignore my stupid rear end and carry on, then.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Honestly, as a person who participated in a god-awful roleplay when I was in middle school (of Battalion Wars of all things) I can totally get behind mocking people who take this stuff too seriously. Although I have to admit I was confused by Slowbeef and voidburger's setup and thought the whole thing was made up at first.

If you want to get to the meat of the mockery you'll have to get to the participants themselves.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, we don't want this content getting in the way of our baseless speculation!

Or people posting actual good fanart!

Seriously though, so you wouldn't care if people just filled this thread with people doing LPs of bad fanfiction?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Vyxzuw posted:

Seriously though, so you wouldn't care if people just filled this thread with people doing LPs of bad fanfiction?

But "people" aren't "filling it" with RPs of bad fanfiction. There's a limit to how many available posts there are to riff on, and it's just slowbeef and VoidBurger that are doing it. It's not like slowbeef didn't do his own parody LP thing in the last thread and was met with great reception or anyth-... oh.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
Wow, that Lorupurae has me laughing already. Looking forward to more!

As for the trial, I'm really impressed with the mechanics being brought out in this sequel. The agreement points are a really smart addition to the previous system. I also love the dynamic the "I concur!" moments add, cementing the trials as an effort of teamwork between all the students rather than just the endeavor of one lucky/talented sleuth.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Thank you for improving this thread. I laughed frequently through that post, don't listen to the people who said you started too early with filler.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Vyxzuw posted:

I think you are maybe taking this whole thing a little too seriously.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Fedule posted:

...I don't know how I feel about that.

What you do ultimately contributes to greater enjoyment for a wider group of people, and likely helps oren quite a bit and thus streamlines the process some. As a result, what you do is innately better than what they're doing.

Far as I'm concerned, you should be proud of what you and oren are doing. Not something just anyone can do, and do well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Vyxzuw posted:

That'd be a marked improvement.

• Locked thread